Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Hungry Computer posted:

gently caress programs that open your email client and pre-populate an email for you to give feedback on why you're uninstalling. It just feels so much more invasive than opening a web form for the same thing, and that's annoying enough.

I feel the opposite because I don't have an actual mail client configured, so it just opens a blank program. Meanwhile if it opens a web form it's guaranteed to have unique identifiers, device IDs, mac addresses, uninstall reason, computer name in the URL and load 40 different analytics trackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Iron Rose posted:

uhhh not sure what you mean by archived share but the mailbox transfer tool works fine?

Also if you haven’t started using GAM for gsuite automation yet you really should.

Yeah I realized that but this is so much loving more effort to manage than o365 and I was kind of surprised there was no just "delicense and convert mailbox" option.

I also can't do poo poo yet even as a super admin because I'm not out of the 30 day penalty box.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Thanks Ants posted:

They will convince themselves that it's all the problem of the individual and nothing to do with their leadership or the wider culture within the business. I bailed from a place a few years back that was blaming someone who had left five years previously for internal processed being a complete mess.

Guessing they will blame the guy who told me all the bad news on my first day.
"YOU SCARED HIM AWAY!!!!" or some garbage.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

xzzy posted:

Except on zoom meetings, treat the mic like a gun. It's always loaded.

I learned how to love push to talk while playing EVE with other goons. Most people haven't... :negative:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

silicone thrills posted:

That would be super hilarious.

This place is absolutely cracking me up. It is the ultimate startup growing pains situation where our customer facing products are much better, cleaner, sensibly done and literally nothing in house has ever been managed to I'm really starting from scratch in that particular manner.

I was also crying when I realized Google workspace has no logical work flow to decom a users email and hold open an archived share so their manager can view it.

Google are so hostile to the normal IT-admin workflows like the concept of a shared mailbox. Archive user licenses might achieve what you need.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thanks Ants posted:

Google are so hostile to the normal IT-admin workflows like the concept of a shared mailbox. Archive user licenses might achieve what you need.

Weird. Those dont seem to come up as an option at all for me to purchase or add on to our licensing in the business standard view.

oh. thats why. it doesn't exist for this version of google licensing. loving cool. neato. great.

quote:

How AU licensing works
To archive a user, you need an AU license available.

The license type corresponds to your Google Workspace edition. For example, if you have Enterprise Plus, you buy Enterprise Plus – Archived User licenses. AU licenses are available for these editions:

Enterprise Plus
Enterprise Standard
Business Plus
G Suite Business
When you archive a user, their active Google Workspace license becomes available to assign to another user. It can take up to 24 hours before you can assign the active license to a different user.

If you transition your Google Workspace subscription, you also need to transition your AU subscription to match before you can archive more users. If you already have archived users, their AU licenses automatically transition to your new AU subscription.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, AU licences.

I don't understand how this is supposed to be normal? Every place I've been (tech companies with mature controls, at least), every user is strictly assigned their own login and mailbox, and accounts are to never be shared, every login protected by hardware keys, etc. If you want to share a mailbox or share an email address, you'd use a group with Collaborative Inbox or "Grant access to your account" delegation, which continues full auditing of the other person accessing anything in the first person's mailbox or archive.

Google lets you share a mailbox just fine as long as each user has an individual hardware key/2FA + audit trail. The absolute last thing on earth should be sharing a mailbox by login.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

Yeah, AU licences.

I don't understand how this is supposed to be normal? Every place I've been (tech companies with mature controls, at least), every user is strictly assigned their own login and mailbox, and accounts are to never be shared, every login protected by hardware keys, etc. If you want to share a mailbox or share an email address, you'd use a group with Collaborative Inbox or "Grant access to your account" delegation, which continues full auditing of the other person accessing anything in the first person's mailbox or archive.

Google lets you share a mailbox just fine as long as each user has an individual hardware key/2FA + audit trail. The absolute last thing on earth should be sharing a mailbox by login.

A exchange shared mailbox is still it's own discrete mailbox only accessible from a fully licensed mailbox, it's not shared mailbox like you're thinking off where 5 people log into the same account with the same credentials.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Biowarfare posted:

Yeah, AU licences.

Every place i've ever worked in the last 10 years when an employee is exited their manager gets access to their inbox. It's very easy to do that in office 365 by just converting the mailbox to a shared mailbox and giving the manager delegate access to that mailbox that way and no one else, it retains all structure and auditability.

I do not see a way to do that in google other than by literally changing the users password and giving other people the password to that mailbox which seems absolutely loving insanely stupid. also that holds open a license so im still paying 12 bucks a month for this user who exited.

I suppose it sounds like there is another option with the archive account but I need to upgrade everything to the next pay tier and at that point it might just be more expensive then base level o365 anyway and then its just like "what is the point of using something with an inbox style that i've already had half the users at the company come to me and say "I loving hate this please get us off this ride"

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 13, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

xzzy posted:

New minor irritation: slack added a 'bookmark' feature that puts a banner at the top of a chat window, and then when you alt+tab away it animates away after 5-10 seconds. This animation constantly pulls my attention back to slack because it makes me think there's an update but nope it's just a stupid text banner.

You're not alone, this is constantly catching my eye and I really hate it!

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

silicone thrills posted:

Every place i've ever worked in the last 10 years when an employee is exited their manager gets access to their inbox. It's very easy to do that in office 365 by just converting the mailbox to a shared mailbox and giving the manager delegate access to that mailbox that way and no one else, it retains all structure and auditability.

I do not see a way to do that in google other than by literally changing the users password and giving other people the password to that mailbox which seems absolutely loving insanely stupid. also that holds open a license so im still paying 12 bucks a month for this user who exited.

I suppose it sounds like there is another option with the archive account but I need to upgrade everything to the next pay tier and at that point it might just be more expensive then base level o365 anyway and then its just like "what is the point of using something with an inbox style that i've already had half the users at the company come to me and say "I loving hate this please get us off this ride"

Delegate access to mailboxes is in G Suite, we used this a bunch. As far as I know the only place it's surfaced in the UI is when a user delegates their own mailbox to someone rather than the console, but in GAM it's just

% gam user bob delegate to jane

and then the other mailbox shows up in the dropdown in the top right hand corner of gmail.

Doesn't solve the problem of it costing per month though. Our process was just 'delegate for up to 3 months, then copy all the mail into a big cold archive mailbox and delete the account' though we have bounced to a MSP doing 365 in the last few weeks.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Given im in the position to write all future policies going forward this might be my action. Ill see. Gonna gently caress around with my hiring managers mailbox tomorrow probably as soon as I clear it with my CTO

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Rudager posted:

A exchange shared mailbox is still it's own discrete mailbox only accessible from a fully licensed mailbox, it's not shared mailbox like you're thinking off where 5 people log into the same account with the same credentials.

thanks for the clarification, I usually assume the worst case because.. well, the contents of this thread

silicone thrills posted:

You can delegate it with GAM and consume a licence slot, but the intended workflow is that all of it goes to Vault (Business tier) for e-discovery/logging/whatever and you pay the AU cost which is generally less than a suspended user, iirc. If this isn't for regulatory or compliance purposes and you just want the manager to tie up loose ends I don't see anything too horrible with just delegating (with GAM or otherwise) for a month paying for a live licence and then exporting the whole mailbox and ending the user.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 13, 2021

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Marketing is upset because we are launching a new product and they offered everyone a chance to buy one unit of the new product and share your love for it on social media (lol) for an entry into a drawing that would get you a chance at $100.00 and another bottle of the stuff.

One bottle of this stuff is over $70 locally and they are just shocked nobody took them up.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

No special introductory promotional rate, nothing like that? $70 seems like a big ask for an unknown, brand new bottle of whatever.

Is your marketing in-house?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

No special introductory promotional rate, nothing like that? $70 seems like a big ask for an unknown, brand new bottle of whatever.

Is your marketing in-house?

Nope, full retail. Marketing is 'in house' in the sense that we're all employed by the same multinational but they're in Canada and we're in the southern US.

E: to clarify I'm not really pissed, I just continually shake my head at the absolutely different planet the headquarters/WFH professionals crowd live on from all these beleaguered essential workers on the factory floor.

:lofty: Surely they would be buying $70 liquor and hosting instagrammable parties with their influencer friends on the one day a week they've been getting off since the pandemic hit

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 13, 2021

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
For $70 I would hope this is some sort of long-awaited fine aged whisky and not like, a new strawberry flavored vodka or an upscale-marketed MD 20/20. Right?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Veeam / Powershell is pissing me of today.

Not just that they insist on using an outdated PSSnapin that requires an entire Veeam console install to get it, with no supported way to install it on its own, but the fact that the Get-VBRBackupSession has no way to pre-filter the results other than by name.

You have to download the entire loving list of every job that ever ran (including those replications you do every 20 minutes) and then filter it client side to just the time period you're interested in.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Rudager posted:

Exchange shared mailboxes are really useful in situations where a small group of people need to handle a steady stream of mail coming into a specific address and/or need to reply to them and track replies but aren't big or active enough to justify dropping $ on additional user licenses for the ticketing system. I've got one of those set up for 2-3 users that occasionally need to handle external mail coming to a specific address.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mattfl posted:

We use a system called Fast Pass here at my hospital -> https://siscocorp.net/fast-pass-classic/

It works well enough, mainly we just set it up and let security do whatever they do with it.

Thank you for this. It wasn't on our radar, and it looks like it might fit our use case very well. Especially if it's low-maintenance.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
URGENT printer ticket.

They're only in the office for like 4 hours a week. I missed the window today because I got pulled into a meeting and I was WFH yesterday so I had to deal a bunch of other poo poo I was waiting for.

User was mad, but how is it anything in an office used for 4 hours a week an urgent matter?

It's always a printer too lol. URGENT.

Someone else offered to open the door (which is all I loving needed this whole time) and she replied that she's somewhere else doing surgery all day. Almost wanted to tell her not to worry about her precious printer since she won't be around it to notice its broken and she should do her printing whereever the gently caress it is prints the other 164 hours in a week.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
For two years now I’ve been telling my managers and our Finance team that we needed to get their InfoPath forms off of SharePoint 2007 and migrated to another platform - ANY platform, only to be told that they wanted to wait until the stars aligned and they found a perfect replacement.

Guess what finally broke today?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh look the stars aligned

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Raerlynn posted:

I seriously have to wonder at the longevity of a company that goes through the trouble of the hiring process, settles on a candidate who after seeing the eldritch horror that is their infrastructure and noping the gently caress out, and does zero self reflection.

Anyways, grats on the dodged bullet my dude.

More poo poo that pisses you off: the eldritch horror that is their infrastructure

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wibla posted:

I learned how to love push to talk while playing EVE with other goons. Most people haven't... :negative:

I've got a Logitech USB headset with a mute and volume control on the cord, handy for use in games or meetings. The only downside is, I fidget with the drat thing so I'm often unexpectedly muted. So far I haven't been unexpectedly UN-muted.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UXZQ42/

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

"What's a service account"

- Our loving DBA!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lum posted:

"What's a service account"

- Our loving DBA!

I had to explain service accounts to our new product manager yesterday.

I think he's gonna be a good PM. He has the right mindset and, less than two weeks in, is already asking questions that NONE of our previous PMs ever asked.

But he's not super technical.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

I had to explain service accounts to our new product manager yesterday.

I think he's gonna be a good PM. He has the right mindset and, less than two weeks in, is already asking questions that NONE of our previous PMs ever asked.

But he's not super technical.

Super Technical PMs are hit or miss, sometimes they assume they know more than the SMEs and keep trying to override them and are more trouble than they are worth.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Our new contract PM is a good balance, he knows enough that you don’t have to explain things like he’s a 5 year-old but listens to our expertise with the details.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

devmd01 posted:

Our new contract PM is a good balance, he knows enough that you don’t have to explain things like he’s a 5 year-old but listens to our expertise with the details.

We had one who was super technical, kept correcting the SMEs on the team or suggesting alternative solutions to the chosen ones. Got old fast.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Got the phonecall on Friday from one of the Directors that they want to start bringing me back to the office.
They did this last year, but to be honest I was quite suprised as cases are spiking again in the UK, and they know I haven't had my second vaccine as all signs are pointing to the first one being responsible for my current health issues.
Explained to him that I am more at risk now then I was last year - my specialist has told me I am lucky I haven't already had a blood clot/stroke/heart attack.
Explained to him that I have barely left the house since I got my first dose as it has made my type 1 diabetes extremely hard to control.
Explained to him that I keep having to isolate from my partner and her children as they get sick, and last time I caught a cold off them I ended up in hospital on a heart monitor as I collapsed in the bathroom with chest pains and severe dehydration.
His response was "Yeah but theres a few things we need your help with around the office". We ended the call with him saying not to worry about it, he will speak to the other Director and they will conference call me in the week.

Ended up sending an email to them both that evening as I was stressing so much. Basically just wrote down the points above, and mentioned that there has never been an issue I havent been able to fix remotely.

Haven't heard anything back about it, but I fully expect them to just ignore me and keep saying they want me back in without giving a proper reason.

I've said to my doctor I am good to work while at home and don't need to be signed off on sick leave, but I can see that changing, and me using that time to look for a new job that will let me work remotely.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Whipstickagostop posted:

Got the phonecall on Friday from one of the Directors that they want to start bringing me back to the office.
They did this last year, but to be honest I was quite suprised as cases are spiking again in the UK, and they know I haven't had my second vaccine as all signs are pointing to the first one being responsible for my current health issues.
Explained to him that I am more at risk now then I was last year - my specialist has told me I am lucky I haven't already had a blood clot/stroke/heart attack.
Explained to him that I have barely left the house since I got my first dose as it has made my type 1 diabetes extremely hard to control.
Explained to him that I keep having to isolate from my partner and her children as they get sick, and last time I caught a cold off them I ended up in hospital on a heart monitor as I collapsed in the bathroom with chest pains and severe dehydration.
His response was "Yeah but theres a few things we need your help with around the office". We ended the call with him saying not to worry about it, he will speak to the other Director and they will conference call me in the week.

Ended up sending an email to them both that evening as I was stressing so much. Basically just wrote down the points above, and mentioned that there has never been an issue I havent been able to fix remotely.

Haven't heard anything back about it, but I fully expect them to just ignore me and keep saying they want me back in without giving a proper reason.

I've said to my doctor I am good to work while at home and don't need to be signed off on sick leave, but I can see that changing, and me using that time to look for a new job that will let me work remotely.

Yes, you have the correct attitude here. That is horrifying.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ptier posted:

Yes, you have the correct attitude here. That is horrifying.

I caught a good article on WFH policies vs boss culture; its a good read. Sorry you have to deal with all that :(
Link here: https://ez.substack.com/p/the-work-from-home-future-is-destroying

Also things are seriously worse with Delta being a thing now.

Can you drive the point home by asking your work to get you a 'my family never has to work again' life insurance policy and accept liability for getting you killed if they make you return from the office?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I have a vxrail 4 node cluster. It's on 7.0.1. There is an update to 7.0.2 available. I pressed the update button this morning at 0930. I'm tailing the install log on the vxrail manager. It's now 2108, and I am at 94%

3.8 hours estimated time my rear end, VMware.

Nodes are still up, no outages or anything. But for real how is this taking so long.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Waited two weeks for our firewall support vendor (not the firewall vendor, the guys who configured it for us) to have someone available to make changes in our after hours maintenance window. We're trying out something (adding BGP to an Azure VPN for extra routes) that I don't really have experience with aside from what I've read in their docs and wanted some expertise to configure it while I test on my end and monitor on the Azure side.

We get the call going and he straight up has no idea what it is I want. And this is after a call earlier today to recap what we want to accomplish. He keeps saying the VPN is configured and wants to know how he can help me. No poo poo the VPN is working, but we're also trying to configure BGP on it. Again, he has no idea and says he has no experience with this.

I'm glad they spent the previous two weeks talking to the firewall vendor to get some sort of clue as to what needs to be done. He then starts talking about needing to modify our other production VPNs and peering our vNETs to get this working and I quickly shut him down and say we need to research further before we make any changes.

He update the ticket saying the VPN is configured correctly and to let them know if they can assist us further.

I'm trying not to be mad at the guy because the vendor is a lovely MSP and I know how they just throw tickets at people with no experience, but holy poo poo I am pissed.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

A supplier wants to upload invoices to our SFTP server, but the only key type they suppprt is 1024bit RSA keys.

They seem to be using a piece of software called MoveIt, by Ipswich Software.

I wonder if their on-hold music is provided by Reel2Real?

Lum fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 15, 2021

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I dunno Comcast things don't seem to be looking good!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If restarting devices is so helpful, why don't their overpriced rental modems have internal watchdogs to reboot themselves as needed? Or at least alert you that a reboot is needed?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Lum posted:

A supplier wants to upload invoices to our SFTP server, but the only key type they suppprt is 1024bit RSA keys.

I got tasked with some cio-down “hey, this looks cool could we use it maybe?” bullshit, and it wasn’t hard to put an end to it right away:

lmfao get the gently caress outta here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did a fairly passive-aggressive update to a sales case that's been sat around with no update for a month, basically saying "there's been no update for a month and no further tickets have been raised about this issue, looks like it's resolved now" and closed the case out. Got messaged a couple of minutes later by the engineer who was meant to be handling things saying there were still problems. Replied to say that I looked for open cases before closing the issue out, they in turn came back with "oh yeah the guy messaged me directly".

That's the *entire* point. You do so much stuff outside of established systems that nobody has any visibility into what's going on with the things you're meant to be handling and just takes the wrong actions constantly. I'm not going to change the golden rule of "if a ticket doesn't exist then there's nothing going on" for one person who refuses to use the systems that everybody else manages to get along with.