Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

pandy fackler posted:

From reddit: https://reddit.com/r/UFOscience/comments/oeb69v/hypothesis_the_nimitz_uaps_were_microwave/

(Check link for references, too annoying to paste over when phone posting)

okay then please explain what the people saw with their own eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

most flying saucers have more to do with shamanic syncretism than galactic gallivanting

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Bideo James posted:

I am a complete moron and it isn't my theory but the write up does account for what eyewitnesses saw if u read it

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bideo James posted:

the pilots are secret CIA cyborgs that had their optical receptors jammed by chinese plasma balls

the balls kept jamming their eyes, over and over, so many balls

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

plasma is stored in the birds

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

aren't there groups out there with like explicit UFO stories about meeting aliens and prophecies about them returning and all that?

be real careful with this one

most of the claims ive seen of this are, at best, taking the folklore of nonwhite people out of context and smashing it through a lily-white lens. understood in context, they don't appear any more explicitly UFO than many Bible stories that occasionally get trotted out as being hidden UFO stories like Ezekiel and the Wheel or just angels in general. just like how most christians won't tell you that those are UFOs or aliens, the people whose folklore is often cited as being UFOs and aliens will not either

the real problem though is that those same stories are often twisted to fit in with explicitly racist ancient aliens theories, aka "those cultures did things white people couldn't, but they're not white, so it must be aliens!"

im skeptical that if any of those stories do have their start in an authentic UFO sighting that we can extract any information about it anymore than we can take the culture of ancient Greece and extract reliable information about the historical Hercules

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Rah! posted:

alien teens pranking the humans with their cloaking devices lol

For some time now I've thought about this sort of thing and concluded that we have to take this sort of absurd scenario seriously. It honestly sounds like the setup to a far side cartoon or something but we already have abundant examples of pointless weird fuckery just here on Earth.

Consider when the Sentinelese killed John Allen Chau. This guy believed he was on a mission from Jesus, a dead prophet from the middle east thousands of years ago. The tribe barely has contact with outsiders in their living memory. The technology involved, the response from authorities, etc.

Or consider the perspective of an animal being studied in the wild. Or how could an ant colony hope to understand that the destruction of its home is to make way for the building of a new wal-mart, which is the result of a decision made on the basis of human global economics, etc. Or how could e.g. the mammalian rodents that survived the extinction of the dinosaurs hope to understand that some day they will be responsible for the internet. None of this makes sense.

If interplanetary travel is possible at all, you have to allow that visitors could have any motivations at all, including a great many possible scenarios that are simply beyond our understanding. We literally could be seeing aliens visiting earth as part of a school field trip, and I meant that literally and scientifically as a possibility. It's not all gonna be enlightened space brethren making formal contact with the governments of earth or some corny bullshit like that. It's (potentially) gonna be drunk hicks riding their four-wheeler all over our moon or religious zealots or .....?

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

pandy fackler posted:

From reddit: https://reddit.com/r/UFOscience/comments/oeb69v/hypothesis_the_nimitz_uaps_were_microwave/

This detailed eyewitness experience is consistent with an observation of atmospheric electromagnetic phenomena similar to Hessdalen lights.

It really, really isn't. Unless Fravor described a glowing ball of plasma, which he didn't. It's also premature to describe the Hessdalen lights as a radar-generated plasma, since we do not have any such understanding of the phenomenon, any more than "ball lightning." This is ignotum per ignotius, the unknown explained by reference to the unknown.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

it's birds

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Rah! posted:

we say that telepathy is crazy person poo poo

but these fish communicate with loving electrical impulses straight into each others brains. is that not telepathy, more or less

In the same way that communicating with sound waves is telepathy, sure

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Azathoth posted:

most of the claims ive seen of this are, at best, taking the folklore of nonwhite people out of context and smashing it through a lily-white lens. understood in context, they don't appear any more explicitly UFO than many Bible stories that occasionally get trotted out as being hidden UFO stories like Ezekiel and the Wheel or just angels in general. just like how most christians won't tell you that those are UFOs or aliens, the people whose folklore is often cited as being UFOs and aliens will not either

the real problem though is that those same stories are often twisted to fit in with explicitly racist ancient aliens theories, aka "those cultures did things white people couldn't, but they're not white, so it must be aliens!"

im skeptical that if any of those stories do have their start in an authentic UFO sighting that we can extract any information about it anymore than we can take the culture of ancient Greece and extract reliable information about the historical Hercules

if you can accept the stories without making them about metal space boats youre good

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Rah! posted:

You're talking about Bigelow, right? Bigelow has an aerospace company that already has a contract with NASA to provide inflatable space station modules. One of them is up there right now (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigelow_Expandable_Activity_Module). So he already has a pipeline to the sweet government contracts and lots of money, that has nothing to do with UFOs. Why potentially gently caress that up with fake UFO garbage that makes half the people in the government think you're crazy? Not saying its impossible, it just doesn't seem to make much sense.

what the hell are you talking about lol

did multiple governments just state that bigfoot is real, the way that they did for UFOs, or am i missing something

was bigfoot seen by multiple fighter pilots at the same time and videotaped with a fancy infrared camera and locked onto by multiple radars lol
nothing that's been released to the public shows anything other than point sources of light, and that includes the "tic tac" videos

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

pandy fackler posted:

I am a complete moron and it isn't my theory but the write up does account for what eyewitnesses saw if u read it

yeah sure we can control plasma with radar beams somehow and doesnt loving explain anything pre-radar

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's simple. birds are ancient daoist wizards. all of these pilots and radar operators cannot recognize the true nature of a bird, as they have not even begun to cultivate their spirit

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 21:32 on Jul 14, 2021

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

um NO pretty sure the uaps were inside us the whole time

i'm going to bring them forth tomorrow

That sounds like body thetans to me.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Went outside looked at the sky and expressed a gently caress ton of gratitude at it and they appeared! Louder than I suspected.

My partner says it was just a Snowbirds flyover but we all know the truth *touches nose*

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

hey smart posters im curious
could a plasma bubble block the types of radiation one would face in space travel?

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

flatulent towards the sky and now the ufos are beaming my rear end up

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Azathoth posted:

The Anishinaabe have sort of a "alien" story: "According to the oral history, seven great miigis (radiant/iridescent beings in human form) appeared to the Anishinaabe peoples in the Waabanakiing (Land of the Dawn, i.e., Eastern Land) to teach the people about the midewiwin life-style. One great miigis was too spiritually powerful and would kill people in the Waabanakiing whenever they were in its presence. This being later returned to the depths of the ocean, leaving the six great miigis to teach the people."

Also Bigfoot(Kitchi-Sabe) is a scared animal to the Ojibwe, meaning truth, honesty & integrity and is part of the Seven Grandfathers Teachings.

Of course the "aliens" of these stories are beings that are from the spirit world or have been existing along side humans in their own way rather than space travelers visiting for brief moments.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

Of course the "aliens" of these stories are beings that are from the spirit world or have been existing along side humans in their own way rather than space travelers visiting for brief moments.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

imperial valley CA, ~2006: multiple groups of remote campers report a UFO after seeing an incredible luminescent display in the black of night

AATIP investigation concludes with the following: UFO likely corresponds to an F/A-18F Super Hornet pilot practicing a pugachev's cobra with lights off and afterburners

Lue, at his desk: FRAAAAVORRRRRRRRRRRR

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

https://religiondispatches.org/with...ss-testimonies/

Diana Palsulka posted:

Scholars of religion are among those who understand the importance of witness testimonies in the formation of religions. Raelism and The Nation of Islam, for example, were formed from the UFO/UAP testimonies of their founders. A cursory review of UAP literature, both primary sources by witnesses, as well as secondary literature by academics, reveals overt religious and often apocalyptic themes in UAP witness reports. Extraterrestrials are believed to be technologically advanced and are often thought to be supportive of humans’ best interests.

Harvard researcher Dr. John Mack’s bestselling book Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens (1994) featured the testimonies of people whose encounters with alleged extraterrestrials are best characterized as beneficial and spiritual, if frightening. Current UAP military narratives counter the testimonies found in books like Mack’s. They’re replaced with the specter of the reality of extraterrestrials and their danger to humans.

The UFO/UAP narrative is a belief system that suddenly, with the release of the Pentagon Report, is supported by military witness testimonies. A new development in the vetting of witness testimonies includes internet algorithms related to search engines like Google. After the report was released, though ostensibly unrelated, Google reported a new process of vetting the credibility of user content; that is, videos and photographs uploaded by users of the internet. Coincidentally the video documenting Google’s new algorithm uses UAPs as an example.

https://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/diana-pasulka-alleges-google-military-conspiracy-to-discredit-ufo-witnesses

Jason Colovito posted:

The first major problem with Pasulka’s analysis is her facile equation of military pilot “testimony” with the kind of religious testifying you’d see at a tent revival or from the Apostles preaching that they had witnessed the risen Christ. Pasulka goes too far in suggesting that a pilot claiming to see something he or she could not explain is proof of alien life. It is not clear whether she is speaking for herself or for UFO believers when alleging that accounts from pilots function as proof, but either way, they don’t.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

GWBBQ posted:

nothing that's been released to the public shows anything other than point sources of light, and that includes the "tic tac" videos

what

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rickshaw posted:

For some time now I've thought about this sort of thing and concluded that we have to take this sort of absurd scenario seriously. It honestly sounds like the setup to a far side cartoon or something but we already have abundant examples of pointless weird fuckery just here on Earth.

Consider when the Sentinelese killed John Allen Chau. This guy believed he was on a mission from Jesus, a dead prophet from the middle east thousands of years ago. The tribe barely has contact with outsiders in their living memory. The technology involved, the response from authorities, etc.

Or consider the perspective of an animal being studied in the wild. Or how could an ant colony hope to understand that the destruction of its home is to make way for the building of a new wal-mart, which is the result of a decision made on the basis of human global economics, etc. Or how could e.g. the mammalian rodents that survived the extinction of the dinosaurs hope to understand that some day they will be responsible for the internet. None of this makes sense.

If interplanetary travel is possible at all, you have to allow that visitors could have any motivations at all, including a great many possible scenarios that are simply beyond our understanding. We literally could be seeing aliens visiting earth as part of a school field trip, and I meant that literally and scientifically as a possibility. It's not all gonna be enlightened space brethren making formal contact with the governments of earth or some corny bullshit like that. It's (potentially) gonna be drunk hicks riding their four-wheeler all over our moon or religious zealots or .....?

:agreed:

The one example of intelligent life that we know of, is us, and we do dumb loving idiot poo poo all the time, and do things simply because it's fun, or because we could, or because it makes someone mad, and we do things that to us are mundane every day poo poo, but to another animal, would make zero sense and would be interpreted incorrectly.

And the evolution of our societies and our interactions with the world around us was not orchestrated (i don't think?? lol:tinfoil:). poo poo just happens. It's not like the high human council said OK today we make contact with the whales. So why wouldn't it be similar for hypothetical aliens? Zorglax just turned aitee aitee and is having a mid life crisis and wants to see whats on the weird rock. And Zilbo just got drunk on space moonshine and blacked out and crashed into some desert town and freaked all the apes out lmao. And Zibloap? He was just using a 5th dimensional rake to uhhhh looks like a bird to me

Rah! has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Jul 14, 2021

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

quote:

Pasulka falsely alleges that there is a “sudden” change in military UFO reports and that government policy has, since 1953, been to “debunk” witness testimony. That isn’t true. While it is true that Air Force tried to discredit alien narratives for a variety of reasons, they did not try to show that witnesses were wrong in describing what they saw. Instead, they tried to show that witnesses were wrong in how they interpreted what they saw. This is not the same thing. (Of course, the Air Force sometimes falsified their analysis to hide things like secret military testing.)

lol this guy needs to look at the australian report

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

this is extremely loving wrong lmao

The US and Chinese governments have said UFOs are real, and that they are currently studying them, and dozens of other nations keep doing studies on UFOs as well. Credible people with much to lose by accusations of nuttery, keep claiming that they've seen them, all around the world. The US also claims to have tons of sensor data to go along with the eyewitness accounts. That means eyewitnesses, cameras, and radars all seeing the same thing.

Not one of those nations has ever said anything like this in regards to bigfoot.

curious

UFOs are clearly the same as bigfoot

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

bigfoot is probably real too tho

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

maybe they're just bored. like a kid putting lightning bugs in a jar for a while

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

space chandeliers posted:

lol this guy needs to look at the australian report

hes a cornhole

pasulka raises an interesting question imo even though shes got terminal credulous academic brain

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Telepathy and meditation is where this all starts to get a bit too 70s new agey cult for my tastes

Maybe that's a fault of mine but I don't think you're going to get a post-enlightenment society on board with that without some pretty strong evidence
could be a meatfucker

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

maybe they're just bored. like a kid putting lightning bugs in a jar for a while

If the vastness of space isn't more entertaining than our thrashing and self-destruction I am not sure what the point of an infinite cosmos is

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If the vastness of space isn't more entertaining than our thrashing and self-destruction I am not sure what the point of an infinite cosmos is

An ant colony cannibalising itself is not uninteresting.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Saucer Hovers posted:

hey smart posters im curious
could a plasma bubble block the types of radiation one would face in space travel?
I've actually seriously looked into active EM shielding against solar flares with a friend whose job is engineering spacecraft life support systems. Looking at a baseline of in-solar-system travel where your crews and spacecraft will survive a solar flare on the scale of the Carrington Event, it isn't really possible unless we manage to get to the perpetually 40 years away goal of fusion becoming synonymous with unlimited free power.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the entertainment is that you can find weird monkeys that drive little cars around their planet. you can go pick them up and put em in a weird space ant farm

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Rah! posted:

this is extremely loving wrong lmao

The US and Chinese governments have said UFOs are real, and that they are currently studying them, and dozens of other nations keep doing studies on UFOs as well. Credible people with much to lose by accusations of nuttery, keep claiming that they've seen them, all around the world. The US also claims to have tons of sensor data to go along with the eyewitness accounts. That means eyewitnesses, cameras, and radars all seeing the same thing.

Not one of those nations has ever said anything like this in regards to bigfoot.

curious

UFOs are clearly the same as bigfoot

I don't have an issue believing that a bunch of people have encountered some weird poo poo. Bigfoot's the same, just that fewer people wander far enough into the woods to encounter sufficiently weird poo poo.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

the entertainment is that you can find weird monkeys that drive little cars around their planet. you can go pick them up and put em in a weird space ant farm

Some space bookie's gonna make bank on the over/under for how long it takes our species to extinguish itself

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

Bush I's "a thousand points of light" has taken on a whole new meaning

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

There's at least 1 star trek episode where some all-powerful being fucks with the enterprise and turns out to be a juvenile delinquent. Stephen King wrote a book (Under the Dome) where the whole plot (small town is inexplicably trapped under a force field) happens because of some lovely alien kids. I'd totally believe that aliens just like to gently caress with the weird monkey creatures

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

UFO spotted

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThatEnviousKoala.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
thats a tiny bird, just a lil guy