Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Baggers are the only place they don't look really stupid, also.

Fun fact: heel toe shifters and floor boards as found on many Harleys are both cutting edge enduro/adv technology circa 1940. You stand up on the boards over bumps which makes upshifting difficult, hence heel shifter.

I’d argue they also look stupid on baggers. A necessary evil, I guess.

I assume the floor boards on touring bikes follow the logic that the more places you can put your foot the less you’ll feel fatigued. But I don’t understand the purpose of a heel shifter on a touring bike. I had one when I was in a walking cast because I couldn’t bend my ankle, but the moment I didn’t need the boot I took the heel shifter off. Some people swear by them but gently caress if I know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Strife posted:

The pegs themselves don't necessarily look dumb, but middle-aged dudes rolling down the highway looking like they're giving birth usually does, bagger or not.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

I assume the floor boards on touring bikes follow the logic that the more places you can put your foot the less you’ll feel fatigued. But I don’t understand the purpose of a heel shifter on a touring bike. I had one when I was in a walking cast because I couldn’t bend my ankle, but the moment I didn’t need the boot I took the heel shifter off. Some people swear by them but gently caress if I know why.

It's because of this which they are trying to look like, despite no longer being a combination dirt/sport/touring bike :colbert:

Also you can have a hard time sticking your boot between the board and shifter to shift up, but then the heel shifter takes away the space you have on the board and makes you awkwardly hold your foot diagonal. Pure nostaliga boomer fashion.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I’ve rented a number of Harley baggers and always brought a specific hex key to remove the heel shifter in the parking lot. I just threw it in one of the bags for the duration of the rental.

I find floorboards very comfortable. Having both the ball and heel of my foot supported at the same time is less fatiguing for longer trips.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I always assumed it was so you didn't have to scuff your boot :shrug:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

ADINSX posted:

I always assumed it was so you didn't have to scuff your boots alligator skin loafers

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The standard footpegs on Fat Bob, I hook my boots on to by the front part of the sole. The rubber on the peg is a bit slippery in the wet and I keep thinking my foot is going to slide off (it hasn't so far, neither foot).

Any recommendations for footpegs that still have rubber on top for vibration dampening, but are more confidence inspiring and sticky in the wet?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

The standard footpegs on Fat Bob, I hook my boots on to by the front part of the sole. The rubber on the peg is a bit slippery in the wet and I keep thinking my foot is going to slide off (it hasn't so far, neither foot).

Any recommendations for footpegs that still have rubber on top for vibration dampening, but are more confidence inspiring and sticky in the wet?

The problem is those two things are the opposite, grippy and rubber. Rubber is slippery when it’s wet, but metal pegs that grab your sole are tough over long distances because that vibration goes right into your foot. I’ve always worn a boot with a heel, so I just hook the heel onto my foot peg.

You could try something like this, but I don’t think that’s gonna feel any less slippery.

If you wear flat soles try something with a more pronounced heel, but I think it’s just a mind over matter thing. Your feet aren’t going to slip off.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks, good advice. I actually ordered those Defiance ones you posted a link of a few months back.

When they came, Harley Edinburgh had sent me two right hand side pegs. Sent them back. They were also the same size and same feeling as the pegs that come with the bike so wouldn’t have been much of an improvement.

The Forma Adventure Lows I wear, their soles’ front half doesn’t have much of a step in into the middle of your foot, so hooking them on to the pegs isn’t amazing. Will see if I can find some boots with more of a step that’ll hook better.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Is the rear tyre beginning to square a bit?

I check and maintain the correct tyre pressure, so it's not that...

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Steakandchips posted:

Is the rear tyre beginning to square a bit?

I check and maintain the correct tyre pressure, so it's not that...

Dude your tire is fine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All tyres go square, it's the circle of life.

Put another way: your tyre is wearing at a normal rate. You can go ride some corners so the shoulders catch up with the middle but you can't do anything about the middle itself wearing other than not riding at all.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fair enough. Thanks guys.

I’ve been riding daily these days. Sometimes 100+ miles a day.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Steakandchips posted:

Fair enough. Thanks guys.

I’ve been riding daily these days. Sometimes 100+ miles a day.

I don't have any knowledge of the tires that harley puts on the new bikes. But the tires that originally came on my 08' dyna were very soft and did not last very long. I started putting Dunlop American Elites on it and those lasted MUCH longer. But they are a much harder cruiser orientated tire. Which is totally fine since thats what that bike does.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I’ll be putting Pirelli night dragons on next when the time comes for new tyres.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The Custom 1250, or as it is now known as, the Sportster S, is looking very good:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/gb/en/motorcycles/sportster-s.html

£14k though is a bit much for it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

The Custom 1250, or as it is now known as, the Sportster S, is looking very good:

That's pretty high, even for a Harley, but it's not too far off from like a Monster 1200 (which has 25 more HP), which I assume is the competition. I'm just glad they're putting that motor into more bikes.

But come on this plate mount is loving stupid:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
15 large in the states, and Harley have mid foot controls as a bolt-on accessory. Goes right over top of the "clutch cover" like a big ol' spider. (I don't know what lives under there on a Harley, which is why the scare quotes.)

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 13, 2021

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
It also looks like it has the same seating position as like a vrod or something. Hands out in front and low and feat way out in front. If they eventually build a real one and not some stupid mix between a dirt tracker and street bike it might look okay.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bike looks rad, plate mount is rad, mid controls rule, it will come with ten thousand different control configurations rest assured. Pretty sure it's the stator under the LH cover on the engine but not sure.

Yes I am desperate to interact with one of those or a dirt glide but no dentists have pulled the trigger here yet.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

100% agreed with Slavvy's assessment.

I'm looking forward to a test ride, I'd say we should have some available in dealers here within a couple of months (or possibly even now, the marketing video was shot in Scotland, I instantly recognised Glasgow within the first few seconds of playing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCoQ2PjdLJA ).

E:

I actually lived in a flat in this building for a year and a half:

Can't believe I didn't hear that they were doing the marketing and testing of it in Scotland.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 14, 2021

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Bike looks rad, plate mount is rad, mid controls rule, it will come with ten thousand different control configurations rest assured. Pretty sure it's the stator under the LH cover on the engine but not sure.

Yes I am desperate to interact with one of those or a dirt glide but no dentists have pulled the trigger here yet.

I'd be more surprised than at any other point in my life if the first aftermarket accessory designed for that bike isn't a plate relocator.

(after an exhaust but that doesn't count because Harley Davidson)

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to ride one. Also really curious to see what the HP/torque numbers are that can be tuned out of that thing because the factory numbers aren't terribly impressive, but I know they love leaving power on the table for people to find later.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Steakandchips posted:

I want to like it but I can't get over how goofy the pipes look

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

They look fine!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

They look like this:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Where's the problem?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

I'd be more surprised than at any other point in my life if the first aftermarket accessory designed for that bike isn't a plate relocator.

(after an exhaust but that doesn't count because Harley Davidson)

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to ride one. Also really curious to see what the HP/torque numbers are that can be tuned out of that thing because the factory numbers aren't terribly impressive, but I know they love leaving power on the table for people to find later.

It's down tuned compared to the panam but still, 120hp 200kg is in line with the Bonneville, which seems to be the benchmark they've built against. I think it would be harder to get big gains them the old sporty because you'd have to swap heads and things, not that that'll stop anyone. The vvti almost certainly means there's gains to be had through ecu massaging, they'd be fools not to leave some headroom. Also bear in mind that those not terribly impressive numbers are better outright than a vrod and have better p:w than an m8 fat bob.

FBS posted:

I want to like it but I can't get over how goofy the pipes look

Those are probably close to the best result possible with that packaging and euro 5. There'll be a two foot straight pipe for closed circuit use only that you can bolt on that everyone will run by default.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It’s mid controls in the promo material but then forward on the site — both US and UK. Is it going to be a purchasing option, or just fall out from some internal slapping match? Forward controls look like they’d be very awkward.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Both UK and US sites list it with forward controls, and makes the mids a $700 accessory (570 quid in the UK). Those can be found on the same page as passenger pegs and seat, engine guards, and Harley-branded poo poo to slap on your clutch and alternator covers.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Valt posted:

It also looks like it has the same seating position as like a vrod or something. Hands out in front and low and feat way out in front.

Toe Rag posted:

It’s mid controls in the promo material but then forward on the site — both US and UK. Is it going to be a purchasing option, or just fall out from some internal slapping match? Forward controls look like they’d be very awkward.

I never gave the vrod a 2nd glance after seeing the riding position, poor folks folded in half with their hands and feet looking like they're holding onto a beach ball.

My tailbone, lower back, and shoulders would all just implode after 60 seconds on that torture rack.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There was a vrod with mid controls and it fucken ruled.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

epswing posted:

I never gave the vrod a 2nd glance after seeing the riding position, poor folks folded in half with their hands and feet looking like they're holding onto a beach ball.

My tailbone, lower back, and shoulders would all just implode after 60 seconds on that torture rack.

I have a buddy with a fully custom Honda Fury. He put drag bars and forward controls on it, so when he rides he looks like this: >

His bike looks pretty cool but he's said it's extremely uncomfortable. I do not understand why he did that, or why Harley would do something similar.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

poo poo I thought all Vrods were mid controls. That's awful.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Steakandchips posted:

Where's the problem?

They managed to make metal exhaust shrouds that look like plastic.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

epswing posted:

I just keep seeing people call the new sportster the vrod jr. which I find real fitting. Honestly if it had a real fender and actual bars it would be alright.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Valt posted:

I just keep seeing people call the new sportster the vrod jr. which I find real fitting. Honestly if it had a real fender and actual bars it would be alright.

Looking forward to October when they release a version with a rear fender and better bars (and mid controls standard) and call it the SPORTS-ROD.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I was at the West Coast Harley dealership in Glasgow since 9am.

Brought Bob in for a 10k service and to get the USB socket replaced under warranty. I had told them that weeks ago, that it needed fixing under warranty as it died during a ride to the Highlands.

Today, the dealer says "your warranty expired 2 days ago, so the USB socket will be £199." No, I told you about it dying while it was under warranty. "Oh we will have to ask Harley...". So I am waiting on that to come back, and also for them to order the replacement socket.

While doing the 10k service, the Harley tech found that the front left indicator is on the fritz. gently caress. Told me it's not the bulb. Ok. Needs an extra hour. Ok. I come back from the coffee shop "oh, the connection had just gotten loose, we tightened it and it's fine". I bet the tech knocked it loose while working on the bike, I think it was fine till I brought it in, but they didn't charge me for it, so oh well.

The forks paint flaking, I am waiting for Edinburgh H-D to warranty them. WC said they can’t as it’s now out of warranty (but I had informed Edinburgh in advance so it should be fine).

Uneven wear on the front tyre. Looks like the right side is getting worn more than the left side. I’m leaving it as is. Dealer said it was cos of the camber on some roads. I'll replace them with Night Dragons in 5k probably, so IDGAF.

£397 total cost, left the dealer at 1pm.

Also had a second test ride of the LiveWire, which was still excellent.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 24, 2021

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Vance & Hines shared a picture of my bike the other day. New exhaust looks rad, and the performance definitely outdoes the Big Shots I had on before, but the sound leaves something to be desired. When I let off the throttle it sounds like a jake brake, and had me worried at first. Turns out its supposed to sound like that.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Steakandchips posted:

£397 total cost, left the dealer at 1pm.

Also had a second test ride of the LiveWire, which was still excellent.
Do you think you will keep buying Harleys? Yours looks very cool, but the ownership experience sounds like a pain/expensive. That said, I've never bought a new bike. Is this just what life is like when you need to use the dealer for everything to keep your warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'll almost certainly buy a LiveWire.

I never buy new, always used. I'm not walking out the door with ~£5000 depreciation.

A brand new Harley LiveWire is £27,495 (black). £27,745 in the colour I want (orange).

A used 2020 one, with 2500 miles on it as a demo machine, from the dealer, in orange, is £24,245. £3,500 cheaper. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202011015662621

The ownership experience is expensive because I don't have a garage, but if I did, I'd service my bike(s) myself; Harleys in particular, as Slavvy will tell you, are supposed to be pretty easy to work on.

My warranty would still exist even if I didn't use the dealer for servicing.