Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The DLC is great but if you didn't get invested in the game, it's going to ask you for a little extra.

All of us, the Bloodborne fanboys are always praising it but if reached this point you don't love the game, it's totally fine. At least you played more than enough to give a fair opinion (not falling down a ledge 20 minutes into the game and quitting). May as well give the DLC a go since you can always go to the dream and finish the game whenever you want.

Even if you didn’t enjoy the experience, well done hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Like definitely 3 maybe even 4 of the top 5 boss fights are in the dlc

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Guillermus posted:

The DLC is great but if you didn't get invested in the game, it's going to ask you for a little extra.

All of us, the Bloodborne fanboys are always praising it but if reached this point you don't love the game, it's totally fine. At least you played more than enough to give a fair opinion (not falling down a ledge 20 minutes into the game and quitting). May as well give the DLC a go since you can always go to the dream and finish the game whenever you want.

Even if you didn’t enjoy the experience, well done hunter.

this

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is also potentially insanity but maybe if you’re bored you could simply stop playing, and wait until such time as you were no longer bored, and then continue playing.

Seeing as this is a 6 year old video game, you aren’t under any pressure to finish it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Seeing as this is a 6 year old video game, you aren’t under any pressure to finish it.

the remaster is coming out in a week, the pressure is on!!!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Annoying thing about the dlc is that it came out after I had beat the game, and since you're forced into ng+ I had to try the dlc at that level, at which point it absolutely sucks. Just a bunch of hunters (who respawn) that are all pains in the rear end to take down, with enough speed and reach that running by them isn't typically a safe option. I just gave up on it and my ng+ run as a result.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just used it as an excuse to play Bloodborne again from scratch

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Regy Rusty posted:

I just used it as an excuse to play Bloodborne again from scratch

I'm not going to do that, especially after sinking a bunch of time into the chalice dungeons. Ive already got a large backlog of games, I'm not going to add one I've already played to the list (exception being Demon's Souls because I pretty much forgot everything in that game by the time the Remaster was announced).

Oh yeah also speaking of, the quest system of 'obtuse triggers that can be easily missed by going to a boss, thereby locking you out of an entire characters plotline' popularized with Demon's Souls (or maybe Dark Souls) can gently caress right off. I beat 1-2 without talking to Ostrava and so as a result he's dead forever with no way of me getting his mausoleum key except in ng+. This is despite me killing the bad guys attacking him, I just didn't talk to him.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

This is also potentially insanity but maybe if you’re bored you could simply stop playing, and wait until such time as you were no longer bored, and then continue playing.

umm yeah but bust when he finishes it he'll be newly immune to our criticism and forums bullying jeez man can't you see the writing on the wall smdh

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Decided to take a break but before that I said F it let's save scum the endings. Got the first two and decided I was good. The Gehrman fight is pretty nasty. I had to put my TV back into Game mode to get through it. I was always just a split second too late in his final phase.

I actually like the submit ending more than the other one.

I'm really just burned out on the game. The boss fights are fine but the rest is just yuck. If I had to use one word to describe BB it is discomfiting. For me it is just an unfun experience 90% of the time. There isn't any emotional narrative that drives the game. It's just gross and weird and yucky all day all night. So I need to go do something more chill before I tackle the DLC.

At this point I'm basically satisfied. I've beaten the game. Seen the credits. And I doubt my opinion will change after 6 more bosses. Really, I just want to do Orphan of Kos because that is the big hard fight I always hear about.

It's my least favorite from game and it's not even close. The game has a ton of issues beyond it just being distasteful to me. I think the From game it most closely compares to is Sekiro. One game is gorgeous and fun to explore. One game has a coherent plot and an emotional narrative that drives the player to see what happens next. But they both have relatively fluid movement and fast combat.

There are definitely challenges as the game goes on, but I'd have to say the first hour is the hardest and that is a major problem with a game with no real plot. That first hour might become easy once you know what you are doing but the game doesn't give poo poo for instruction. If someone had never played a from game and had no guidance at all the game is basically inscrutable.

I did like the castle. I think it's because it was one of the few places in the game that didn't feel like bloodborne.

I'm still not really sure what the hell happened. The nobility and the church fought over blood due to old gods and poo poo and aliens, too. And I was there because I had a bad dream and signed a contract in the dream to hunt everything that moved because Gehrman and the moon or something.

I wouldn't say I hate the game but I would never recommend it to someone unless I wanted to troll them.

God of War and Sushi Ghost are #1 and #2 PS4 games. BB isn't even in the running.

I do think BB would be a lot better without the insight mechanic unlocking the ability to level up. A LOT better. And maybe add a plot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m so sorry for how you are Waltzing :(

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sounds like you failed to seek paleblood and transcend the hunt

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Is this what it feels like when I post about TLOU2? :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

yes? :shrug:

edit; it's okay fridge, play factions with us and i'll forget everything

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well you can't say the dude didn't try, but that's probably the first time I have seen someone actually play through the game and not like it.

fridge corn posted:

I haven't seen your tlou posts but probably.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Escobarbarian posted:

Ironic, because I'm sorry for all the people who like wandering around a world of blood and death and grossness. I mean, what makes someone enjoy that? It's really strange. Not an insult, but if you take a step back from your love of BB and actually look at the thing you love so much you might see my point.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Ironic, because I'm sorry for all the people who like wandering around a world of blood and death and grossness. I mean, what makes someone enjoy that? It's really strange. Not an insult, but if you take a step back from your love of BB and actually look at the thing you love so much you might see my point.

it....rules?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Some people enjoy these things it's not unusual lol. It's why horror exists and is popular.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm sorry for all the people who like wandering around a world of blood and death and grossness.

you try living in Dublin

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you try living in Dublin

L

LMAO

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So I'm playing Persona 5.

When does it get fun? I'm mostly clicking through dialogue and having training fights in the sewer, all of which are starting to wear thin.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honest answer most of my favorite games have some element of horror, destruction, bleakness, grossness, dystopia, emptiness etc. I find being teleported to a place I would never want to be irl from the safety of my couch much more engaging than a traditionally "fun" environment. I also think blood flying all over the place is cool.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

skooma512 posted:

When does it get fun? I'm mostly clicking through dialogue and having training fights in the sewer, all of which are starting to wear thin.

If you've completed the first palace or two and aren't having fun then I'd quit now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

skooma512 posted:

for me, it never got fun. great looking and sounding game but I think i've enjoyed maybe 2 JRPGs ever and this wasn't one of them

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

motherfuckers have you seen the world outside? bloodborne and dark souls 3 are loving documentaries. i'm just being a responsible researcher by playing them

acksplode
May 17, 2004

[drenched in glistening blood from murdering scores of beasts with a chain whip] aaa this sucks or whatever

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

motherfuckers have you seen the world outside? bloodborne and dark souls 3 are loving documentaries. i'm just being a responsible researcher by playing them

I live in California so it's pretty much Yarnham without Cthulu.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Waltzing Along posted:

And without the rain.

If you've completed the first palace or two and aren't having fun then I'd quit now

Quantum of Phallus posted:

for me, it never got fun. great looking and sounding game but I think i've enjoyed maybe 2 JRPGs ever and this wasn't one of them

drat :rip:

I don't think I've gotten to a palace yet, I'll hold out till then at least.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

yes? :shrug:

edit; it's okay fridge, play factions with us and i'll forget everything

That waltzing post is so bad but I definitely recognised my TLOU posting in it and I instantly regret almost everything i said about that game lol

I'm all ready to play factions just wondering if I should pull the trigger on the pulse headset cuz if you remember the controller mic isnt that great and need to be heard!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you don't like dialogue and sewers I dunno why you'd play a JRPG in the first place

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was using the pulse headset, I could hear everyone perfectly and people seemed to be able to hear me and laugh at my hilarious jokes just fine!!!!!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Fun fact: I only played BB because I wanted to plays DS2 but didn't want to deal with disk swapping.

I played DS1 while playing ME2 and got annoyed at having to go back and forth with the disks. Normally once a disk is in the drive I play it till I'm done. But ME2 was boring me. Then I got to ME3 and started snoring and wanted DS2 but didn't want to do the same thing again so I went back to BB. It was definitely easier now that I'd done DS1 and understood the basic gameplay mechanics.

In general, my #1 driver in a game is the story. After that is whether I find the gameplay loop fun and satisfying. Graphics aren't super important as long as they aren't displeasing.

So lack of story, a gameplay loop that was often frustrating that when something went wrong led to having to re-experience something I already disliked and graphics that are probably my least favorite in any game ever? No wonder I didn't like it.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 14, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

:(

i think i'm breathing your devastation atm, oregoon here

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

That waltzing post is so bad but I definitely recognised my TLOU posting in it and I instantly regret almost everything i said about that game lol

I'm all ready to play factions just wondering if I should pull the trigger on the pulse headset cuz if you remember the controller mic isnt that great and need to be heard!

The Pulse headset is great imo, just be gentle with it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I was using the pulse headset, I could hear everyone perfectly and people seemed to be able to hear me and laugh at my hilarious jokes just fine!!!!!

for every three esco posts I quote I am able to Gift a beanpost to my teammates itt

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the beanpost may in fact blow up in u face tho

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

Maybe the only thing funnier than detractors becoming lifetime Bloodborne Boyz or From Frendz is Fridge Corn seeing other people needlessly making GBS threads on popular and well-liked games and going “oh, wow, that’s actually an awful way to post… do I suck?.. am… am I the baddies?”

Probably no less transformative of Escobarbarian from a boy to a man, or Veeg from a man to a God.

Bloodborne, folks, it’s just the feckin’ best game ever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

am i...am i a bad poster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

FYI this is exactly how nerds in High School talk about sports as they surgically remove their own underwear from up their rear end