Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

Guardians action game where you play as Star Lord, not movie likenesses but movie aesthetics just announced. Out this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31HHZxP5NgA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Has Cosmo. Sold.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The S-E stream had a longer gameplay segment on the Guardians game. Basically while you're running around as Star Lord in combat you can call on the other Guardians to do attacks on enemies.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Glad it's not another bullshit multiplayer online services game or whatever, looks to be entirely singleplayer.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Guardians looks good. Glad it's a single player. Wish they had done something else other than just do the movie characters stunt doubles thing again, but eh.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm kind of tired of I Need A Hero. It's been cropping up way too much recently, and I don't think anything has beaten Saint's Row 4 use of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soonmot posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm kind of tired of I Need A Hero. It's been cropping up way too much recently, and I don't think anything has beaten Saint's Row 4 use of it.

Shrek 2

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well, it doesn't look outright lovely at least i guess

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Soonmot posted:

I agree completely, but you're thinking of Saints Row 3. SRIV used The Touch

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ImpAtom posted:

Short Circuit 2

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The throwback costume pack will be nice.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

BiggerBoat posted:

I haven't played Xcom in a long time but I don't recall it having the vast range of powers that a group of Avengers might (flight, phasing through walls, jumping a half a mile, summoning lightning strikes, magic spells, ricocheting projectiles, bullet proof) and the idea of something like this is really intriguing to me.

Also, aren't most of the Xcom levels relatively flat too?

X-Com 2 literally has almost all of these already and also a big part of strategy is finding elevation.

It will likely drop the cover aspect but Xcom-Avengers shift isnt that great

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's another Square one

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Combat almost looks Arkham-y at times. Which I am perfectly fine with.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In anticipation of the Spider-Man No Way Home trailer I tried out the concept of 3 cinematic Spider-Men in one fight (one big combo). Starts off with the Raimi suit and then each Spider-Man gets about a third of the battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zshD_egxNzg

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just saw where they're going a Guardians of the Galaxy video game and genuinely wondering what that might look like or what the best approach would be.

A top down thing like the Avengers and Xmen games from a few years ago? I think that'd be kind of boring. I'm picturing a dialed down No Man's Sky sort of thing where you're free to travel planets and I guess maybe choose a single character and go tackle that level (?). Seems like co-op would be the way to go but I'm not sure a team based GotG approach would really work to be honest.

Ah, who am I kidding? They're probably just going to make it like that most recent Avengers game and that doesn't really interest me since, even though the Avengers have different skill sets, GotG seems like that model would be a step down.

You kind of need levels tailored to the specific skills of each character, IMO, and not a Rainbow Six/Call of Duty squad based thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat posted:

I just saw where they're going a Guardians of the Galaxy video game and genuinely wondering what that might look like or what the best approach would be.

A top down thing like the Avengers and Xmen games from a few years ago? I think that'd be kind of boring. I'm picturing a dialed down No Man's Sky sort of thing where you're free to travel planets and I guess maybe choose a single character and go tackle that level (?). Seems like co-op would be the way to go but I'm not sure a team based GotG approach would really work to be honest.

Ah, who am I kidding? They're probably just going to make it like that most recent Avengers game and that doesn't really interest me since, even though the Avengers have different skill sets, GotG seems like that model would be a step down.

You kind of need levels tailored to the specific skills of each character, IMO, and not a Rainbow Six/Call of Duty squad based thing.

I mean... If you look at the top of the page there's literally a video of the game, no need to wonder

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

There’s a bunch of footage of it from E3. You play only as Starlord and it’s a 3rd person action/brawler/shooter game

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Oh poo poo. My bad. The article I read didn't have any video and somehow I missed the post about it.

EDIT:

And that looks kind of lame to me. The cinematics, graphics and designs look good but the gameplay just looks like Star Lord being God of War or running around Arkham chaining combos. I'm not sure how you'd go about making a decent game from that license.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 16, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think only playing as Star Lord could work, if the writing is good and the rest of the team participates in a meaningful way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You only play as one character in Scarlet Nexus and it works there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm glad they decided to focus on one character that hopefully feels good to play as, instead of avengers where it's 6 that all feel the same and like poo poo.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

There's like a million space pirate games to copy from and they're not going to even try.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grem posted:

There's like a million space pirate games to copy from and they're not going to even try.

I mean they shouldn't. Guardians of the Galaxy are 'space pirates' insomuch as they go on wacky-rear end missions with a spaceship. If you're trying to make a GotG game a space sim isn't really what you should be aiming for.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1424321685155635207?s=20

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Uh-huh. So what's the point of having the Marvel license then?

I get it, if we are talking a license like Star Wars. I don't get to run around with Luke or Obi-Wan or Boba Fett, but I get to pilot a spaceship all over the place and use a blaster or a lightsaber and force powers. But Star Wars is a "place" where stories can and do exist without characters you already know and love. A lot of SW games are already like this

I like Marvel , but without the characters, it's literally (99%) New York City. That was their slogan for a while, Marvel comics takes place in "The world outside your window". And I could get it if you created your squad, member by member, and you had an array of super powers to grant them and you played alongside recognizable characters. That would be OK. And I'd even be kind of cool with "It's the first day of open tryouts for the Avengers, but Uh-oh, all the Avengers had to go to space to deal with a cosmic fart cloud, and now Dr. Doom has put up a magic bubble around New York and declared himself king, and only your rag-tag team of new recruits can stop him". That's something. At least you are going up against known Marvel Villains.

But this article makes it sound like it just takes place in the MU, but anyone interesting is not there. Well, guess what game, I already live there.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My guess is you’re a shield agent (or sword or whatever), and/or you’re fighting the brood or something, but yeah seems kind of pointless

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, it'll probably still have the villains, who are half of the universe, and probably some characters will show up in a nonplayable capacity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

I get it, if we are talking a license like Star Wars. I don't get to run around with Luke or Obi-Wan or Boba Fett, but I get to pilot a spaceship all over the place and use a blaster or a lightsaber and force powers. But Star Wars is a "place" where stories can and do exist without characters you already know and love. A lot of SW games are already like this

I like Marvel , but without the characters, it's literally (99%) New York City. That was their slogan for a while, Marvel comics takes place in "The world outside your window". And I could get it if you created your squad, member by member, and you had an array of super powers to grant them and you played alongside recognizable characters. That would be OK. And I'd even be kind of cool with "It's the first day of open tryouts for the Avengers, but Uh-oh, all the Avengers had to go to space to deal with a cosmic fart cloud, and now Dr. Doom has put up a magic bubble around New York and declared himself king, and only your rag-tag team of new recruits can stop him". That's something. At least you are going up against known Marvel Villains.

But this article makes it sound like it just takes place in the MU, but anyone interesting is not there. Well, guess what game, I already live there.

The impression I get is that they're not aiming for the Avengers but one of the weirder smaller books where they fight Dracula or Cthulhus rather than space aliens and robots. The lack of existing superheroes as your playable characters might be born from the fact that one of XCOM's biggest defining features is permadeath and having a squad of customizable B-tier heroes allows for that in a way that Iron Man/Captain America/etc wouldn't.

I severely doubt it will have Literally Nothing From Marvel In It because that's kind of nonsense.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They did this kind of thing with X-Men Destiny and that sucked.

Just let me play with Marvel characters. Most people will just try and recreate them anyway.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
seems pretty stupid to me but okay

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
That's... weird, especially given Chimera Squad. I mean, Chimera Squad was weird when it came out, but then this got leaked and it made sense, but if they're not doing that then... well, I'm back to being a little confused.

Or maybe it's just X-Com but your starting line-up is all named after members of the Avengers. They couldn't get the MCU actor's likenesses either.

Anyway, reading the article I'm intrigued by the mention that it's going to be more supernatural Marvel, I'm very curious to see this announced.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Just thinking, based off xcom's anyone can and will die, squad based off unqiue abilities, and loads of c to d list characters, gently caress the concept would have been perfect for a suicide squad game. Alas the actual suicide squad game appears to be a generic 3rd person shooter

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok after reading the article this is just a journalist apparently relating what he was told, so it could just be a misunderstanding

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I really doubt it's "there are no actual Marvel heroes in this game" but instead you play as player-created or randomly generated heroes. If it's like Xcom and has perma-death then they probably want you throwing nobodies into the grinder and not Iron Man or Captain America.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't want to play at Bruce Willis friend I want to play at Bruce Willis. They had this figured out twenty five years ago, why did they forget this now? I don't want to control a bunch of faceless shield agents or made up fake super heroes. I want to control a squad of characters I care about. That's the whole point.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

If it's supposed to be an Xcom-like I don't want a bunch of pre-made characters that the license holder probably won't let die against a random mook, I want to be able to customise a squad of heroes that will die in horrible and hilarious ways.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

This is honestly what I was hoping for, although the inclusion of the "supernatural" element makes me raise my eyebrow a little. If they mean like, supernatural in the sense of vampires and ghosts and poo poo and not literally all the other fantasy nonsense that is constantly an ongoing thing in superhero land? And if that's the case, are they going to bring up that weird magic-only SHIELD offshoot? I think it was called S.P.E.L.L. or something? Was that a thing? Did I imagine that?

CzarChasm posted:

You build, customize, level up, and get attached to a team of your own creation, all so you can feel anguish when get brutally murdered by Carrion or Zarathos or Deacon Frost or some poo poo

Oh man, I'm imagining the way Crysalids infect and spawn from NPCs/teammates they attack, except they're vampires now and that'd be pretty cool

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just thinking, based off xcom's anyone can and will die, squad based off unqiue abilities, and loads of c to d list characters, gently caress the concept would have been perfect for a suicide squad game. Alas the actual suicide squad game appears to be a generic 3rd person shooter

It's not a shooter, it's a Rocksteady Batman game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Veotax posted:

If it's supposed to be an Xcom-like I don't want a bunch of pre-made characters that the license holder probably won't let die against a random mook, I want to be able to customise a squad of heroes that will die in horrible and hilarious ways.

I want to customize existing heroes and have them die in horrible and hilarious ways. It's a video game, let people get Captain America killed by having him run directly into fire who cares.