Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

boop the snoot posted:

It’s gonna be awesome when the housing market tanks and banks buy everything for pennies on the dollar!

Indications I'm seeing are that there won't be a 2009 repeat. The 0 down, interest only loans aren't available, lending standards are pretty decent and people are putting a large amount of cash down. I think there's also a good chunk of institutional money going in aside from private citizens. Theres a large amount of liquidity looking for a return and real estate is red hot.

My current wonder is if the private buyers are pulling together every cent to get something RIGHT NOW cause if they don't, it will be out of reach tomorrow. If that's the case, if/when prices hit the ceiling where wages can't stretch to continue price increases I think they will just be stuck in their home for a long period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

It’s gonna be awesome when the housing market tanks and banks buy everything for pennies on the dollar!

It's not going to tank, because we learned our lesson: don't let the poors take out loans to buy houses, let investment firms take out loans to rent them. This way the only alternative is homelessness

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I saw a thing about some art project that is a box on stilts with a crank on it. It is a machine that allows anyone at all to work for minimum wage by standing there and turning the crank.

Standing there, turning a crank, the machine dispenses to the operator one (1) penny every 4.97 seconds. (In NY(?) minimum wage is 7.25/hr)

Someone interacting with the machine would hopefully think: hah! free money -> god this is mindless work -> sheesh this pathetic trickle of pennies sucks -> millions have to do this all day every day, what the gently caress

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
That machine is just going to be included in an article listing 'SIDE HUSTLES YOU CAN DO NOW!'

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1415388284776239111?s=20

This thread is a good list of citations for when people say "Covid doesn't affect kids" etc.

It probably won't help for the people making this argument but hey, citations needed and all.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

lightpole posted:

Indications I'm seeing are that there won't be a 2009 repeat. The 0 down, interest only loans aren't available, lending standards are pretty decent and people are putting a large amount of cash down. I think there's also a good chunk of institutional money going in aside from private citizens. Theres a large amount of liquidity looking for a return and real estate is red hot.

My current wonder is if the private buyers are pulling together every cent to get something RIGHT NOW cause if they don't, it will be out of reach tomorrow. If that's the case, if/when prices hit the ceiling where wages can't stretch to continue price increases I think they will just be stuck in their home for a long period.

I wish we'd get a Bad Blood style book about what was going on at Washington Mutual in the final years.

quote:

"Someone in Florida had made a second-mortgage loan to O.J. Simpson, and I just about blew my top, because there was this huge judgment against him from his wife's parents," she recalled. Simpson had been acquitted of killing his wife Nicole and her friend but was later found liable for their deaths in a civil lawsuit; that judgment took precedence over other debts, such as if Simpson defaulted on his WaMu loan.

"When I asked how we could possibly foreclose on it, they said there was a letter in the file from O.J. Simpson saying 'the judgment is no good, because I didn't do it.' "

https://special.seattletimes.com/o/html/businesstechnology/2010131911_wamu25.html

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That Works posted:

It probably won't help for the people making this argument

It won't and it's not like these fucks give a poo poo about kids anyway

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah the next blowup will probably be in tech or something that hasn’t blown up before. The whole reason bubbles happen are because almost no one sees it coming and doesn’t want to see it coming

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I haven't been able to piece the mechanism together but I've been sure for years that it's gonna have to do with passive index funds becoming vulnerable to manipulation of the underlying index memberships as they become an ever larger slice of the overall market. Tesla breaking into the S&P 500 was a warning shot.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

oh poo poo that's it it's gonna be real players doing a Gamestop, huge private capital funds taking a page from the WSB playbook and trading the same poo poo companies back and forth with themselves until the market cap is so high fidelity and vanguard HAVE to buy it from them with our retirement funds

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

lightpole posted:

I know several people who are holding out because "this will eventually correct itself."

In just over 2 years, my house's zillow value is up 30%. I'd normally take that with a huge grain of salt, but it's probably about right.

Milo and POTUS posted:

It won't and it's not like these fucks give a poo poo about kids anyway

Heard a great statement a few days ago...something like "If you believed Hillary was running a child sex ring out of a pizza parlor, even if I convince you that wasn't true you're still not a person who'd vote for her."

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 15, 2021

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yeah the next blowup will probably be in tech or something that hasn’t blown up before. The whole reason bubbles happen are because almost no one sees it coming and doesn’t want to see it coming

I was talking to a fed banker a month ago and she was saying they are looking at unicorn investing.

People see bubbles coming but there's nothing they can do about it. Shorts are seen as profiting off others misfortune and requires perfect timing to catch a correction. There were plenty of people that saw '09, they were just too early, too late, cashed out too soon, too late, etc. There isn't much incentive to miss out on the upswing since the pressure is on you to justify forgoing the large profits everyone else is making in favor of something else. The people Michael Lewis wrote about had to endure extreme amounts of pressure and still had to close up and lost out in the end despite making clients a lot of money.

Godholio posted:

I know several people who are holding out because "this will eventually correct itself."

In just over 2 years, my house's zillow value is up 30%. I'd normally take that with a huge grain of salt, but it's probably about right.

I think they just turn into zombie real estate holders and lock up a huge chunk of real estate for a long period. Private holders won't be able to sell out or up since they will have put 300k+ (in the bay area) down. They won't be underwater on the loan but they will have locked their retirement in. Institutions will be in the same predicament but they won't need to sell, just hold and collect rents since they probably just want a stable return anyways.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 15, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/harrysiegel/status/1415434249373634572?s=20

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

US Berder Patrol posted:

The Afghanistan war provides plenty of tragedy and shame to go around, but the idea of the US military shredding musical instruments to keep them out of the hands of the poorest people I've ever seen is giving me some pretty heavy sadbrains

Realistically, the Taliban would've just destroyed them anyway.

Edit: would've been nice if we gave em to the people of Kabul to enjoy for a while, though.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 15, 2021

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I used to walk ~10 blocks to work in downtown Portland and I was at far more risk of injury from some spandexer running a stop sign than the cars. (Granted the injury would be much worse from a car but still.)

Similarly, I am far more at risk from tripping on something on any given day than from being robbed, run over, shot, or assaulted. Granted, the injury would be much worse from a violent crime but still.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh boy, Florida is definitely not gonna make it in the next 10 years

https://twitter.com/TeleEnvironment/status/1415403884776939531

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eej posted:

:rip:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I hope it lands on it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I hope it lands on it

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

We're SO loving hosed

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Godholio posted:

Heard a great statement a few days ago...something like "If you believed Hillary was running a child sex ring out of a pizza parlor, even if I convince you that wasn't true you're still not a person who'd vote for her."

Problem is they can't consider this. They generally lack the fundamental empathy to consider the point of view of a human, like themselves in every way, but with one condition changed. They are unable to reason past the argument that Hillary might not have been running a child sex ring.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wILFddYxKOM

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Eej posted:

The wobble, that we've known about for almost 300 years, slightly increases tides over a nine year period, and sightly decreases them over the next nine years. It's just that there are some new calculations that factor in that data, new tide level data and climate change data.
So statistically worse tides, but not apocalypticly worse tides.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://twitter.com/TeleEnvironment/status/1415403888056971267?s=19

I agree month long floods aren't apocalyptic.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Here's the specific NASA statement since a lot of the articles don't actually link it.
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/study-projects-a-surge-in-coastal-flooding-starting-in-2030s

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Mellow greetings. What seems to be your wobble?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

Boggle*

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I am aware that in the movie, Earth’s Moon was not inside the museum looking at weapons.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

I am aware that in the movie, Earth’s Moon was not inside the museum looking at weapons.

Oh. Oops

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

mlmp08 posted:

wobble wobble g

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

TheWeedNumber posted:

wobble wobble g

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

It’s a uk paper and british science reporting is an abyss

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

joat mon posted:

The wobble, that we've known about for almost 300 years, slightly increases tides over a nine year period, and sightly decreases them over the next nine years. It's just that there are some new calculations that factor in that data, new tide level data and climate change data.
So statistically worse tides, but not apocalypticly worse tides.

The relevant lines:

quote:

Why will cities on such widely separated coastlines begin to experience these higher rates of flooding at almost the same time? The main reason is a regular wobble in the Moon’s orbit that takes 18.6 years to complete. There’s nothing new or dangerous about the wobble; it was first reported in 1728. What’s new is how one of the wobble’s effects on the Moon’s gravitational pull – the main cause of Earth’s tides – will combine with rising sea levels resulting from the planet’s warming.

In half of the Moon’s 18.6-year cycle, Earth’s regular daily tides are suppressed: High tides are lower than normal, and low tides are higher than normal. In the other half of the cycle, tides are amplified: High tides get higher, and low tides get lower. Global sea level rise pushes high tides in only one direction – higher. So half of the 18.6-year lunar cycle counteracts the effect of sea level rise on high tides, and the other half increases the effect.

The Moon is in the tide-amplifying part of its cycle now. However, along most U.S. coastlines, sea levels have not risen so much that even with this lunar assist, high tides regularly top flooding thresholds. It will be a different story the next time the cycle comes around to amplify tides again, in the mid-2030s. Global sea level rise will have been at work for another decade. The higher seas, amplified by the lunar cycle, will cause a leap in flood numbers on almost all U.S. mainland coastlines, Hawaii, and Guam. Only far northern coastlines, including Alaska’s, will be spared for another decade or longer because these land areas are rising due to long-term geological processes.

hypnophant posted:

It’s a uk paper and british science reporting is an abyss

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
All these lame post about wobble but none of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi4f8TJoD_0

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’ve never heard that wobble song. This is the only one I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lCJWB8JYbI

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe the South Dakota National Guard was just ahead of the curve. Or they get the Tennessee junkyard mogul's money and do nothing but say, "yeah thanks, but sorry Governor, we can afford to send only three people as observers."

https://twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1415425257943572482

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lake of Methane posted:

Maybe the South Dakota National Guard was just ahead of the curve. Or they get [quotethe Tennessee junkyard mogul's money and do nothing but say, "yeah thanks, but sorry Governor, we can afford to send only three people as observers."

https://twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1415425257943572482

quote:

The House passed a bill to reimburse the National Guard and bolster Capitol security in May. The Senate is still crafting its own bil, but it is unclear how long it will take to pass its legislation once finished.

One lawmaker pointed out that the Capitol Police will also run into funding issues soon.

"Without Senate action, the National Guard, which provided protection to the Capitol after the attack of January 6, will have to begin cutting training in August," Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., who chairs the Senate Appropriations Committee, said in a statement. "Senate Republicans have refused to join bipartisan negotiations to address these urgent security needs, and now the Capitol Police risks running out of funding this summer."

A spokesperson for Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., the top Republican on the committee, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

...and all the comments are blaming Biden and the Democrats. I hate conservatives.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

US Berder Patrol posted:

The Afghanistan war provides plenty of tragedy and shame to go around, but the idea of the US military shredding musical instruments to keep them out of the hands of the poorest people I've ever seen is giving me some pretty heavy sadbrains

Tbf people are responding to this as if they're crunching tubas but the post lists things like amps, guitars, and mixers. That sounds like the issue was electronic components, which we always destroyed because if we didn't we'd find them in the IEDs we drove over.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Y'all wanna read some of the most racist poo poo I've seen in a while courtesy of one of the members of the Lincoln project? The second tweet in this thread alone, woof.

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1415429331468365829

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

boop the snoot posted:

All these lame post about wobble but none of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi4f8TJoD_0

I was waiting for this.