Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

You can play regicide with a deck of cards

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/307002/regicide/files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Is it strictly 2p only or are you with others?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Parks isn't the deepest game, but there's a lot it fits into its relatively small box, although there are a fair number more bits than the other games. And it may be thematic for what you're doing?

I'd also have a look at Canvas, which is mostly a set of plastic cards and some bits.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Is it strictly 2p only or are you with others?

Ah, yeah sorry I should have specified - strictly 2p.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mode 7 posted:

Next week I'm heading away to travel around in a campervan for a week and a half. Can folks suggest some games with high strategic depth/that stand up to repeated replays that also pack small or otherwise travel well? We're definitely taking Hive Pocket which is kind of the gold standard of what I'm looking for if that helps calibrate what I'm after at all, and we're also taking Air, Land & Sea because my wife refuses to stop playing it until she can beat me at it :smugdog:.

Patchwork is the perennial answer for 2p games. Very approachable, insane depth, and cute. It does need at least a 2 person cafe table to play on though. The small box will hold a bunch of other card games too.

Also, I can't stress enough how much nicer Air Land & Sea is in toploaders. The 6 cards feel so much cooler when they're chunky and THWACK down on the table. Protects them nicely too of course.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Patchwork is the perennial answer for 2p games. Very approachable, insane depth, and cute. It does need at least a 2 person cafe table to play on though. The small box will hold a bunch of other card games too.

Patchwork Express requires less space -- a smaller "ring" of pieces and some are added later in the game, rather than everything out at the beginning.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

Next week I'm heading away to travel around in a campervan for a week and a half. Can folks suggest some games with high strategic depth/that stand up to repeated replays that also pack small or otherwise travel well? We're definitely taking Hive Pocket which is kind of the gold standard of what I'm looking for if that helps calibrate what I'm after at all, and we're also taking Air, Land & Sea because my wife refuses to stop playing it until she can beat me at it :smugdog:.

So yeah, looking for a third game to round those two out - I've heard a lot of praise for Mottainai but never had the chance to play it myself but it's also been a long while since I've really been actively paying attention to game releases so I don't know what's out there.

Edit: 2p games, it'll just be me and my wife.

Patchwork, Blokus, Tash Kalar are all great 2p.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
There are two Fox in the Forest games. Both 2 player; both pack super small. One is competitive, the other coop.

Competitive 2 player games: Fjords, Schotten totten aka battle line, Lost Cities card game. My wife kicks my butt in most of these, but I get her back in cribbage.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Race for the Galaxy, even with some expansions is a couple 100 cards and some tokens. Will fit in the relatively small box it comes in,but can be packed loose too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I have the base game and whole first arc in one of the small expansion boxes and it rules. I folded one of the reference boards in there as well for teaching.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

taser rates posted:

Patchwork, Blokus, Tash Kalar are all great 2p.

I'd definitely second Tash Kalar, it's a brilliant 2p game.

I'd also say Calico is good 2 player, and fairly easy to play in a limited space. Or Targi is another excellent strictly 2p game.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
What are people's experiences with King is Dead 2e with mostly 2 players?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Llyranor posted:

What are people's experiences with King is Dead 2e with mostly 2 players?

It's the player count I've played most, partly because it's very fast. The zero sum nature is very obvious and the decision space is small enough that you can see how the last few turns will play out once you get there. Single mistakes can cost you the game.

I prefer 3P but would never say no to a 2P game.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

OperaMouse posted:

Race for the Galaxy, even with some expansions is a couple 100 cards and some tokens. Will fit in the relatively small box it comes in,but can be packed loose too.

RftG is a game of a lifetime.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

fischtick posted:

There are two Fox in the Forest games. Both 2 player; both pack super small. One is competitive, the other coop.

Competitive 2 player games: Fjords, Schotten totten aka battle line, Lost Cities card game. My wife kicks my butt in most of these, but I get her back in cribbage.

fischtick posted:

My wife kicks my butt in most of these, but I get her back in cribbage.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Cribbage is fuckin awesome

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

dwarf74 posted:

Cribbage is fuckin awesome

I have never understood this perspective. Multiple people have taught it to me over the years, and for me it never elevates itself over 17th century garbage before they invented fun. "You got a 5 and I didn't? Too bad, eh?"

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
what are people's opinions on Dune: Imperium? I liked it, thought it melded the cards and worker placement well, but the deck building felt a little too light and the intrigue cards left a sour taste in my mouth (you spend all your round setting up for a battle and lol nope i have 2 cards that add like 8 attack against you sorry about that, better luck making your next round matter at all).

I want to play it again because maybe i just didn't click into place and it wasn't the game and i still find myself thinking of it days later, but still.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

enigmahfc posted:

what are people's opinions on Dune: Imperium? I liked it, thought it melded the cards and worker placement well, but the deck building felt a little too light and the intrigue cards left a sour taste in my mouth (you spend all your round setting up for a battle and lol nope i have 2 cards that add like 8 attack against you sorry about that, better luck making your next round matter at all).

I want to play it again because maybe i just didn't click into place and it wasn't the game and i still find myself thinking of it days later, but still.

I got mad at it because I thought I was going to win a battle and my opponent played a bunch of cards, I gave it right back to my friend I borrowed it from.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Magnetic North posted:

I have never understood this perspective. Multiple people have taught it to me over the years, and for me it never elevates itself over 17th century garbage before they invented fun. "You got a 5 and I didn't? Too bad, eh?"

I mean, first off there's a lot of statistical depth in the decision of which cards to keep. To a large extent it comes down to math, although there's a certain amount of push-your-luck involved and optimal play can vary depending on where the score is. But there's also a whole playing phase beyond the simple scoring of hands that heavily involves being able to read the other player (while still having a whole mess of math.) The points you make during play may seem incremental compared to the showdown, but since luck of the draw is going to be a wash over the long run it's in the margins where you make up an advantage. There's a reason that games are played out over a number of hands, and then scores are often kept across multiple games.

Also, you get to say "one for his knob."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:krad: 2021 BOARD GOON DRAFT IS UP :krad:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3973443&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#pti2

12 slots for participants, 12 themed rounds this time:

Categories

1 Features Minis Prominently
2 Card Only
3 No Cards
4 Out of top 2000 on BGG
5 Dexterity
6 Train Game (no 18XX)
7 Anime art
8 "Classic" - pre-1980
9 Designed by Women
10 Knizia Game
11 Games Under $15
12 Free Pick

Come join in or meme people's bad picks

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 14, 2021

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

the holy poopacy posted:

Also, you get to say "one for his knob."

hehehehehehehhe knob

still doesn't sound like much fun. Maybe my GF will badger me into trying it again when we're in the retirement home working the Musk-Bezos Martian lithium mines.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Mode 7 posted:

So yeah, looking for a third game to round those two out - I've heard a lot of praise for Mottainai but never had the chance to play it myself but it's also been a long while since I've really been actively paying attention to game releases so I don't know what's out there.

Edit: 2p games, it'll just be me and my wife.

Mandala or Arboretum woud be my choices, AL&S another excellent one too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cribbage is good because it straddles the line of luck and skill perfectly - there's enough luck and variability to make it interesting and to give hope to a less-skilled player, but not so much that luck is likely to overcome superior play over a series of games.

I don't think there is any other game that balances those factors better than cribbage, whether in the 2, 3, or 4p slot.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've only played it online but for 2p I've really enjoyed Targi. There's a nice push/pull between trying to make great plays for yourself but also make plays that block your opponent.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have a lot of fun with Dune Imperium. The gently caress You-ism of the intrigue deck never really bothered me since losing a single battle typically isn't make or break most of the time. And if it is, then it pays to over commit to battle to hedge against any possible intrigue or better yet, bring your own.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Carillon posted:

I've only played it online but for 2p I've really enjoyed Targi. There's a nice push/pull between trying to make great plays for yourself but also make plays that block your opponent.

Targi is really underrated, I think. There is also a nice-ish set of upgraded components on BGG (though none for the expansion yet).

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

homullus posted:

Targi is really underrated, I think. There is also a nice-ish set of upgraded components on BGG (though none for the expansion yet).

Yeah, Targi is a really great game! As are the upgraded bits on BGG-store. The expansion bits should come available in August.

Other easily transported and fun 2p games I would personally recommend are: Battle Line, Dale Of Merchants (DoM 3 if you only pick one), Ganz Schön Clever and Cartographers. 7 Wonders Duel and Raptor are also very good, but take a bit more table space (not terribly more than Targi, though). Watergate should be excellent, but I haven't tried it personally yet.

You could also just take a deck of cards and play Gin rummy for a good while, it can get pretty addicting.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

enigmahfc posted:

I was quite taken with it at first, but was wary because I'm a massive fuckin' Dune-nerd and was always going to like it.

But after a bunch of plays, I think I actually like it 'more'. I have to say, I only ever play it two player with my wife, I can imagine it plays really differently with more players. (I said before, I f&kin' hate the idea of having an AI player, but actually, here it works really well and feels like a sensible, core part of the game rather than a 'hotfix' or something).

The intrigue dynamic is (fittingly) interesting, because at first it's like "well, cards with powers, obviously" and like you say, they can skew battles. But actually, after a while you come to realise that they do actually come at an opportunity cost, and they might not be that good. You can't keep hitting it to get a bunch of good ones, because then people can trivially steal them off you. They're great when they're good, but they ARE a bit of a risk to go in on. There's always 'some' lack of transparency because cards in hand can contribute, too.

It's definitely one where even now I keep thinking like "I wanna do the full Fremen thing next time" or "I'm gonna try and see if the repeatedly hitting guild for foldspace + using the mentat is good" etc.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Blood on the Clocktower was super fun! Our first round went for three hours, with a dinner break in between, and it had a great narrative through-line. The game does well to whittle down the players to a final three, with many of the dead players still able to vote. Honestly, just having dead players still able to participate is such a simple masterstroke. They get one last vote to use on any future day, and can still talk and poo poo. Their roles aren't revealed by the gm. God it was good. It reminded me of the days we've played diplomacy, with players scurring into different rooms in the flat. but my god it was so stressful.

it was so, so stressful. the sheer volume of social information flying everywhere. there are simple puzzle leads but if you stop and try to work out whats going on entirely blaaahhh my brain would just glitch up. we were playing with 12 players, the basic roles (basic haha).

I was poisoner minion and happened to find the fortune teller, roughly the sheriff, in a private conversation day 1 so basically became the evil advisor the entire game because she trusted me but i was poisoning her every night. i feel awful and guilty for that play, it was a dirty play. ugh. and at the end of the game we discovered they had been reading the gm's thumb up/down wrong so my poisoning was actually a remedy haha. but it was still fun. i totally get why there is hype about this game. its like super charged social deduction and its absoutely my thing. but i also get why its definitely not everybody's thing.

the only criticism i have is that you can sort of see how the social puzzle/deduction aspect will eventually be solved by the players. it feels way more fun to be playing with the newbies, most of us, then the veterans. but with its roles and demons it seems to have quite a shelf life still.

anyway, i checked out their kickstarter and lol.. but the game is solid and if you are into social deduction and getting your brain blitzed by paranoia, please print and play it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

very late, but on the subject of the 200 mars bags I’ll just comment that my coworker keeps all the metal cubes in bronze/silver/gold piles together in the box and after we’ve played the game probably more than 10 times, the condition of the cubes is still completely fine. They would not have been ruined by being shipped together, and even if it was still deemed an absolute necessity to keep them from touching each other in the box, including some kind of compact grid with a slot for each one would have saved a lot of space, plastic and effort compared to literally hundreds of bags lol.

I’m assuming the big box cubes are the same as the original ones.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 16, 2021

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Lampsacus posted:

Blood on the Clocktower

I really like Clocktower, it's nothing revolutionary but it's by far the best I've played in its genre. It gives everyone something to do, even the moderator (I love storytelling the game, since I don't really enjoy social deduction but I do love running things behind the scenes).

You mentioned "solving" the game, and it's true that groups may eventually get accustomed to everything. The game has many ways of mixing it up, though. There are 3 "base" character sets of various complexity (the third set, Sects and Violets, involves players sometimes changing characters and even changing teams) and even has the ability to create a custom character mix for new and unexpected interactions. There are also Fabled characters, which are basically special rules the storyteller can use to account for different situations. For example, if you have a few veterans and a bunch of new players, you can force the veterans to stay silent for a minute or two each day, to give the new players a chance to make deductions and bluffs on their own.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Everything I've seen from BotC looks like the worst homebrew Werewolf rules and roles all mixed in to the point of being entirely arbitrary and impossible to actually track any information. Like mixing all of the One Night Ultimate boxes and roles into a single game level nonsense. The moderator being able to make game affecting decisions (often purposefully arbitrarily or counter to player powers) seems like an egregious design flaw and not a feature.

I'm glad you and your group like it, I just don't see what's there personally.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the farther social deduction games get away from werewolf the better they're imo. like the best werewolf/mafia games i have played on these forums tend to be kinda one off unique stuff that you can replicate that have actual theme and atmosphere. werewolf is only good for visual novels now, like gnosia.

avalon is still king.

e: for someone who thinks werewolf is a bad game i have played a lot of it and even enter a video tournament where i won 200 dollars off of it... what am i doing with my life...

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 16, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

the farther social deduction games get away from werewolf the better they're imo. like the best werewolf/mafia games i have played on these forums tend to be kinda one off unique stuff that you can replicate that have actual theme and atmosphere. werewolf is only good for visual novels now, like gnosia.

avalon is still king.

e: for someone who thinks werewolf is a bad game i have played a lot of it and even enter a video tournament where i won 200 dollars off of it... what am i doing with my life...

I think it's more that social deduction games are divided into two main categories: ones with hard deduction and information and mechanics to let players use skill to figure out, and those that generate whacky stories and lean more towards structured roleplay with often random elements to obfuscate the information. I get why people like the latter, but I want them to always be based on solid info and mechanics which is why Avalon is indeed still best (Scape Goat is pretty close though).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Bottom Liner posted:

I think it's more that social deduction games are divided into two main categories: ones with hard deduction and information and mechanics to let players use skill to figure out, and those that generate whacky stories and lean more towards structured roleplay with often random elements to obfuscate the information. I get why people like the latter, but I want them to always be based on solid info and mechanics which is why Avalon is indeed still best (Scape Goat is pretty close though).

the thing is i have played games that i feel you can broadly say fit into the later since they were more thematic and what not but those elements actually ended up giving more information to make deductions off of. like they almost had a dinner mystery party box feel. but again those games are very one off and easy to mess up.

e: i would say the bigger split is around roles. rp elements seems like something you can just about inject into any type of social deduction game if you wanted.
like avalon and one night both have roles, but one night is all about them which is what makes it the wacky story generator. the role focus is also why i don't really like two rooms and a boom.
e2: like i guess my main criteria with judging social deduction is "how often does this make me feel like a detective." sometimes RP elements can get in the way of that, sometimes they don't. but i feel like every game with a role focus does get in the way of that.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 16, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I was using roleplay in the narrative sense, not games that use roles to differentiate teams, deal out powers, etc. People that really love BotC seem to enjoy the stories it creates narratively more than the mechanics underlying the deduction. I like the tension to come from the information puzzle.

It's the equivalent of "narrative" board games that use a lot of flavor text to tell the story vs the games that generate an interesting story implicitly via mechanics (like Root).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
no i got what you were saying, im saying the role focus is what doesn't make those work for me
there isn't a core to one night like there is to avalon. its just the roles. avalon provides a framework for player facing deduction. one night is much more focus on making deductions on roles, its becomes more about the mechanics then the players you are playing with.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 16, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the most annoying thing about blood on the clocktower is trying to have its cake and eat it too with player elimination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ok what's the best Legacy Boardgame? Whatever it is I want it.