Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Brawnfire posted:

We carpeted our stairs! Now our cats lay on them. One of our cats blends in quite well!

Paint your cat orange or Elon Musk will bless your house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

just dump people that demand constant attention. i don't want friends who demand that i talk to them at set intervals

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

needy, nagging people suck rear end and i don't need that bullshit

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, but you do have to engage with them a bit to figure that out or not. I've known a guy and two who chilled the gently caress out the moment they realized they don't need to be hyper-social to stay in touch with me.
Sometimes it's just people testing the waters, or thinking they need to be hyper-proactive in case -you- are one of the needy, demanding people.
And then it's also annoying to meet someone interesting, but then their attention demands just turn you right off after a bit.

Also, do podcasts just add random amounts of dead air at the end to throw off people setting up auto-skip to skip ads?
It could just be the people editing it forgetting and accidentally including up to a minute of dead air at the end of a 30-60 min podcast, but it could also just be them blatantly trying to circumvent people using features like 'skip first XX sec, skip final XX sec.' on their podcast players.
Unsurprisingly, said podcast now also includes an ad in the middle as well, which I'm not sure it used to have. (And of course, constant duplicate ads because of there only being 2-3 active ads at any point in my region it feels like.)

I really wish there was a standard thing where I could just chip in 1-5 dollars a month towards these giant, popular podcasts that run ads, but don't have any kind of patreon-y structure.
(That said, there's a super blatant difference between 'get this podcast ad-free' and 'support this podcast you like on patreon'. I'm not ready to slap down 5-10bux on -every- podcast I listen to.)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

Also: let me toggle acheivement notifcations off. I don't care about them, and they can pop up at really intrusive moments.

Similarly, the epic game store free game notification can pop up at bad times and it doesnt go away. It just hovers until I clear it which is annoying if I’m couch gaming with a gamepad

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Any kind of ironman mode should just be a toggle. Who gives a poo poo if someone savescums in a single player game?

That defeats the whole concept of an Ironman mode. If you want to savescumm, don't start an Ironman game. :psyduck:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

That defeats the whole concept of an Ironman mode. If you want to savescumm, don't start an Ironman game. :psyduck:

I mean a start-of-game toggle, not one you can switch off and on at any time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"why don't you wear a wedding ring?"

because i also didnt get a herd of cattle from my father in law when we got married. mind your own business

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

because i also didnt get a herd of cattle from my father in law when we got married

why not

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Men's rings suck rear end anyway. I don't want to wear the one ring in its cool state. If I get married and get a ring, gimme something ethically-sourced and fancy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I saw the pictures of the aftermath of an idiot apprentice not taking the “don’t wear rings to work” warning seriously and now I don’t wear rings.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I saw the pictures of the aftermath of an idiot apprentice not taking the “don’t wear rings to work” warning seriously and now I don’t wear rings.

I know you probably mean they got their finger torn off by a lathe or something, but I really want you to mean they ended up crying in the stationery cupboard after a crowd of bitchy drag queens criticised their taste in jewellery for twenty minutes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

I know you probably mean they got their finger torn off by a lathe or something, but I really want you to mean they ended up crying in the stationery cupboard after a crowd of bitchy drag queens criticised their taste in jewellery for twenty minutes.

I’m gonna try to force myself to change my memory of the incident to this because it’s better in every way.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

i don't wear one either, mostly because they don't seem to work great with constant hand-washing and/or jobs where you're covered in glue/tape/god knows what else a lot of the time

also i picked a stupid ornate one that is really hard to clean :negative:

i hear good things about silicone rings but i don't really like the ones i've seen

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HOLY gently caress posted:

i don't wear one either, mostly because they don't seem to work great with constant hand-washing and/or jobs where you're covered in glue/tape/god knows what else a lot of the time

also i picked a stupid ornate one that is really hard to clean :negative:

i hear good things about silicone rings but i don't really like the ones i've seen

I’ve never seen a silicone one that wasn’t just like a black circle, they’re incredibly bland.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

Dude I did this. It wasn't drag queens, but a really mean guy at work made fun of my engagement ring that I wear on a necklace and kept busting my chops about it until I cried in the walk-in over it. He called it a "huge dorky disney princess ring" and it really hurt my feelings because that's exactly why I picked it out.

I wish I could wear a ring at work but knowing me I'd drop it in the ice and never find it again until someone is choking to death.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like wearing my ring but I respect the decisions of people who don’t.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fizzymercury posted:

Dude I did this. It wasn't drag queens, but a really mean guy at work made fun of my engagement ring that I wear on a necklace and kept busting my chops about it until I cried in the walk-in over it. He called it a "huge dorky disney princess ring" and it really hurt my feelings because that's exactly why I picked it out.

I wish I could wear a ring at work but knowing me I'd drop it in the ice and never find it again until someone is choking to death.

Your ring sounds great.

At a bar I used to work at, my coworker lost her ring in the ice drawer and got upset, and the very drunk manager who wanted her to just DO JOB threw a pint glass in. I have a cool scar on my hand from me digging with another coworker to get the ring out before we dumped the ice and glass.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Jul 12, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pretty cool move, sounds like a great dude

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I feel bad about not liking to wear my engagement ring. I have gender hangups and don’t like how feminine it makes my hand look :(

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i am the epitome of that 'someone is wrong on the internet' comic and i hate having to walk away bc i'm wasting my time

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Butt Detective posted:

I feel bad about not liking to wear my engagement ring. I have gender hangups and don’t like how feminine it makes my hand look :(

Use something like mascara and an eyebrow pencil to give yourself coarse hairy hands and sailor tattoos to offset the ring.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I just did a clean reinstall on my computer after years of cumulative updates. A whole lot of stuff is working way better, but now I've got to spend the next month or so stumbling over all the little things not working quite how I expect them to because of settings and customisations that I don't even remember making.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tiggum posted:

I just did a clean reinstall on my computer after years of cumulative updates. A whole lot of stuff is working way better, but now I've got to spend the next month or so stumbling over all the little things not working quite how I expect them to because of settings and customisations that I don't even remember making.

Same actually :hfive:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The apple podcast app has gotten so loving bad, every update for a decade making it worse. The new update is the tipping point for me making the obvious and way overdue switch to another app. It now defaults to swapping to the next podcast episode of any podcast you are subscribed to. Maybe this is great for the people that listen to lovely talk radio type podcasts. But I listen to mostly things like serial fiction, history podcasts, reread/rewatch stuff, all things where you variously obviously want to listen from episode 1 on, and want to listen to the next episode of the thing you're on if your listening time consumes a full episode.

It also has your library, by default, organized by last updated podcast, instead of just loving alphabetical.

These are mostly all settings you can change but it's become so increasingly worse.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Every time my Chromebook updates I get a whitescreen of death and have to spend the whole day waiting for the battery to die so I can do a hard restart and get to work. If it does it again I'll probably just throw it in the garbage and set that on fire then pour the ashes into a small rocket and fire that into space.

I paid $190 whole dollars for you 5 years ago, STOP MAKING ME SAD.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Free Delivery! But also $5 for shipping.

IT CAN"T BE BOTH AMAZON.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

the delivery is free. The shipping is not. I’m not sure what the problem is

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Doesn't "deposit" imply you'll get that money back at some point?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

fizzymercury posted:

Every time my Chromebook updates I get a whitescreen of death and have to spend the whole day waiting for the battery to die so I can do a hard restart and get to work.
There's no off button? :stare:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Tiggum posted:

There's no off button? :stare:
Nope. Not one that works when the whole thing is in some weird suspended state of being on and doing nothing. It just comes on with a white screen an hangs out until the battery finally dies and I can force it to start up with the power cord. I have tried every. single. other way to fix it and nothing.

I mean it looks and feels like a child's toy so I'm not shocked it's having problems but drat.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

fizzymercury posted:

Nope. Not one that works when the whole thing is in some weird suspended state of being on and doing nothing. It just comes on with a white screen an hangs out until the battery finally dies and I can force it to start up with the power cord. I have tried every. single. other way to fix it and nothing.

I mean it looks and feels like a child's toy so I'm not shocked it's having problems but drat.

You only have 3 more years to suffer before it hits EOL anyways. The darn things only get eight years worth of updates before you need to replace them.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Mine does that occasionally but it shuts off if you hold the power button for something ridiculous like 30 seconds.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

"Isn't that item illegal??"

You clearly posed a leading question with no followup, fucker. You know the answer!

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Dip Viscous posted:

"Isn't that item illegal??"

You clearly posed a leading question with no followup, fucker. You know the answer!

If you have to ask, the answer is no.
And frankly I won't stand for these insinuations that Dip does crimes*.

*caveat here is there are a couple things technically illegal federally that I don't consider crimes.

As a non-toker, one of my peeves is people being self-righteous and looking down on tokers. Who gives a poo poo if an adult wants to have a puff.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

oldpainless posted:

the delivery is free. The shipping is not. I’m not sure what the problem is
It's like how making GBS threads is free but you have to buy a small machiatto to be able to use the toilet in the first place.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
No contact delivery is cool but you would think that after 16 months the delivery person would figure out to not put my food down directly in front of my outward opening screen door.

Especially if they open it first to knock on my actual door.

Especially if they open it first, walk the 4 feet across my small porch, knock on my front door, take the food with them back across my porch and out the screen door, let the screen door fully close, and then put it directly in front of the now closed screen door.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The apple podcast app has gotten so loving bad, every update for a decade making it worse. The new update is the tipping point for me making the obvious and way overdue switch to another app. It now defaults to swapping to the next podcast episode of any podcast you are subscribed to. Maybe this is great for the people that listen to lovely talk radio type podcasts. But I listen to mostly things like serial fiction, history podcasts, reread/rewatch stuff, all things where you variously obviously want to listen from episode 1 on, and want to listen to the next episode of the thing you're on if your listening time consumes a full episode.

It also has your library, by default, organized by last updated podcast, instead of just loving alphabetical.

These are mostly all settings you can change but it's become so increasingly worse.

This is why I don't bother with Apple Podcasts and just use Pocket Casts and Spotify.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SLOSifl posted:

It's like how making GBS threads is free but you have to buy a small machiatto to be able to use the toilet in the first place.

peeve: the places that put an actual code lock on the bathroom door, so you have to ask an employee to use it. Also the public and train station bathrooms in France that require a cheap fee.

If you're going to do this then don't haul people away and name them sex criminals for life if they are forced to poo poo or piss in public. Choose, states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Spalec posted:

Free Delivery! But also $5 for shipping.

IT CAN"T BE BOTH AMAZON.

Surely that $5 is the "import fees deposit" - it's coming from another country. Amazon started doing this a while ago, selling stuff on marketplaces on behalf of a vendor in another country, and the "pre-paying import duty" came in later.