Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They definitely put it in as a troll and it was hilariously effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

mind the walrus posted:

Let's try another way, without the marketing bylines that make you sound like a tool.

Wandavision is a checklist to introduce new versions of the title characters, the twins, Agatha Harkness, and Monica Rambeau into the MCU centered around the story of Wanda processing her trauma in an unhealthy way.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier is a checklist to introduce USAgent, Battlestar, Val, Isiah and Eli Bradley, the Flag Smashers, and a new look for Falcon centered around the story of Sam processing that despite his imperfections and the complicated realities of the USA it's still worth picking up the shield and embracing the mantle of Captain America

Loki is a checklist to introduce Lady Loki, Kid Loki, Classic Loki, the TVA, Renslayer, and Kang centered around the story of Loki... realizing that big bureaucracies led by shadow figures suck and also he really wants to hook up with his distaff counterpart.

Yeah that's a clusterfuck. It's a clusterfuck with lots of fun points, and bang-on casting, but still a clusterfuck.

Thats for sure all Loki realized throughout the entire show and totally isnt an extremely reductionary summary perfectly tuned to fit your bias and completely ignoring the reality of what objectively transpired on screen.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

to be even clearer, I love Loki and convenience store hotdogs but not cilantro

I'm so sorry you don't have the cilantro gene. :smith:

Anyways I've been team Loki since Thor 1 and a fan of bad Doctor Who episodes, so lmao, this show is my thing.

Klungar posted:

They did it to aggravate the people who made a fuss about this line, which made me laugh.

I hope it worked because holy poo poo, I remember twitter being full with YA writers being angry they didn't think of a line like that before lol

Edit: btw I finished Godzilla Singular Point, and lmao, I dunno if it was a bad subbing but the time traveling/multi-verse is 10000x more confusing in it than in Loki or Tomorrow War, or even Doctor Who. but the cliffhanger of Mechagodzilla was rad.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 15, 2021

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

DaveKap posted:

Gonna post this again

and say that I think the implications of this image are being severely underappreciated. I'm sure at least a hundred posts of speculation could come of this single shot.

It’s just two back holes eating each other. I don’t think it means anything. Black holes are cool. Do weird things with light, gravity. That’s it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DaveKap posted:

Gonna post this again
Agreed. The imagery leading into the end of time suggests some kind of DC Universe Source Wall poo poo where there's parallel timelines and verses, but a TVA/Kang/Immortus in each of them that keeps their histories contained.

The other Kang's look like they teleported with TVA sliding doors, so I'm guessing the Nexus Events just create a path to an alternate and make it accessible?

mind the walrus posted:

Let's try another way
Lol yeah, Marvel was really chomping at the bit to get the ducks in line by introducing Loki Classic and Renslayer. :xd:

Or
<blah blah>, Loki comes to terms with his narcissism by encountering a version of himself that was poo poo on for no particular reason, realizing that his self-sabotaging tendencies blah blah.

Hey, it's neat that Immortus ruling at the end of time serves as a thematic foil for Loki's own initial ambitions

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 15, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Watched the finale. Got trolled.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I liked the the holy time line ended up as a circle . A solipsistic circle . Iirc this was the imagery at the beginning around the castle and also prominently behind the last person

That feeds into the black hole imagery posted above where the accretion disk is a visual metaphor for the holy timeline line and the black hole is the guy at the end

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

they explained it

people are complaining about the episode because they sat there and explained it

Yeah? It's like the end of the matrix reloaded except the architect is slightly more entertaining. It's still just some guy sitting there monologuing explaining the plot as the climactic finale.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean these are comic book tv shows

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

So why does he teleport all the pruned people and timelines into a big monster that may or may not eat them. Why not simply teleport them all into a black hole or something

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ishamael posted:

What an underwhelming finale. Having a completely new character monologue for 20 minutes and then die, with vague consequences, was not a good ending to this show.

The consequences were extremely clear? Loki literally looks at a new statue, because Sylvie's decision immediately changed everything - for the worse.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Terror Sweat posted:

Yeah? It's like the end of the matrix reloaded except the architect is slightly more entertaining. It's still just some guy sitting there monologuing explaining the plot as the climactic finale.

I found it less entertaining because my memory of Will Ferrell as the architect is so firmly ingrained that I forgot that was the parody version.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Presumably the other end of time guys could get out of black holes

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

This was a fun season of the show Loki and I enjoyed it thanks for listening.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

HootTheOwl posted:

Watched the finale. Got trolled.

From now on, if a MCU show is going good I'm gonna just skip the finale and make up my own ending

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Disney is just old and white enough to still hate mixed race business in their films and as a result I am comfortable in assuming that Kang The Conqueror being Majors means that whoever they get to play Reed Richards will also be black and this pleases me.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Kaddish posted:

It’s just two back holes eating each other. I don’t think it means anything. Black holes are cool. Do weird things with light, gravity. That’s it.
The issue is that the full sequence has us hearing a bunch of MCU stuff (and other stuff) as we pull out of the left black hole only to fly into the right black hole where we hear more MCU stuff (and other stuff) and then get shown the visual of the timeline that the TVA have been stabilizing.

So... are these just two distinct timelines? If that's the case, does that mean there never was one stable timeline? If you get way down to it, at the start you hear all the MCU chatter as the Marvel Studios logo is shown, it changes to only real world chatter as we're sucked out of the left black hole, and then it mixes to MCU and real world chatter in the right black hole. Does that mean the left black hole is our reality and the right black hole is the MCU reality that incorporated some of our reality? And then you have the fact that Immortus describes the timelines with a visual of black holes layered on to of each other mixed into that.

There are implications here!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes that was two end of the world guys who had
their own solipsistic universes going and are colliding now

Or I mean not actually, metaphorically. Black holes collide in real life all time

The scenes in the castle at the end of time were in a singularity (literally the end of time). You could see the accretion disk around them

euphronius fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 15, 2021

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
My jaw dropped when the elevator opened on Kang. I can't believe I'm excited for an Ant Man movie.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Kaddish posted:

It's the end of time. All that remains of the universe is two black holes, and the only physical space that a being can exist on is that little scrap of a planet with a castle on it, existing briefly on the edge of the exclusion zone.

It was a really cool scene.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah and if you want to get into “wacky” susskind et al interpretations of the event horizon that may be what we are now anyway

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I assumed the point where Kang's knowledge of events ended was when his castle entered the event horizon (not because there was a big unknowable choice), because after that moment it wouldn't be possible to see further. That's literally the end of time: the last physical part of the universe just fell into a black hole to never be recovered.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Loki left after that

It’s just a visual metaphor I don’t think they actually were in a black hole. It’s a comic book show

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
In terms of where Ravonna went...

Maybe the info Ravonna Renslayer got at the end was how to find another He Who Remains (or a like-minded variant) who she could work with to fix everything - hence everyone being reset when Loki got back, and the statue? At first I thought it might be an evil variant, but He Who Remains in this episode didn't seem to want bad poo poo to happen. Or maybe the info didn't come from him maybe it's that Meddling Ms Minutes!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

euphronius posted:

Loki left after that

It’s just a visual metaphor I don’t think they actually were in a black hole. It’s a comic book show
I mean yes, in the end I believe it's a visual metaphor, but seeing what people think the visual metaphor is for is in and of itself entertaining. It's not exactly cut and dry.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fair enough

The guy at the end could not escape that’s for sure

It was HIS singularity

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also Loki and Sylvie were “black holes” on a collision course

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I for one am glad that they finally gave us Mephisto like we were asking for

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Mike the TV posted:

I assumed the point where Kang's knowledge of events ended was when his castle entered the event horizon (not because there was a big unknowable choice), because after that moment it wouldn't be possible to see further. That's literally the end of time: the last physical part of the universe just fell into a black hole to never be recovered.

I like this interpretation, but just to wildly speculate it could've been Galactus.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cael posted:

I don't care if the tone/content changed every episode.
I don't care about the mechanics of timeline vs parallel universe.
I don't care that the finale was mainly people talking across a desk or that it introduced a IT WAS X ALL ALONG character.

If someone else does, that's perfectly fine and I can totally understand why they'd feel that way based on what I saw. But that finale loving slapped, Jonathan Majors ruled and stole the scenes, the show has been a fun as poo poo ride, and I could not be more pumped for season 2.

Came here to post basically this.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Was I supposed to catch that that was Kang from the origin story or from the outfit?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bananaquiter posted:

Was I supposed to catch that that was Kang from the origin story or from the outfit?

Only if you know about him already. He said he'd been called "a conqueror" in the past as well.

If you don't really know about this guy yet, then this wasn't really him. Just setting up some origin story for when he does eventually show up.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Bananaquiter posted:

I dont think you're 'supposed to catch that that was Kang' at all. He said his name is 'he who remains'. For people who follow comic books he mentioned that he had been called a conqueror. For people who dont, like me, he explained everything he needed to about who he is and why he's there.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I really loved episode 5 but the finale fell a little flat for me. It's hard to follow up "I'm going to charm the beast at the end of time and find god" with god just being some guy at a desk.

The Citadel scenes would've been improved greatly if Owen Wilson was there. I liked Sylvie enough up that point, but it's cruel that her part at the end was to mostly say "You're lying! Another lie!" over and over before making a rash and bad decision.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Man Marvel just cannot stick their landings.

Not as egregious as Wandavision, but worse ending than FATWS

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Man Marvel just cannot stick their landings.

Not as egregious as Wandavision, but worse ending than FATWS

I still stick by my belief that it's not a matter of "can't", it's a matter of "won't". They don't WANT to leave you satisfied with a story that wrapped up its themes. It's like an old radio serial or a soap opera, every episode leaves you hungry for your next bite. I'd go as far as saying this is a key part of what's made the MCU such a success.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

XboxPants posted:

I still stick by my belief that it's not a matter of "can't", it's a matter of "won't". They don't WANT to leave you satisfied with a story that wrapped up its themes. It's like an old radio serial or a soap opera, every episode leaves you hungry for your next bite. I'd go as far as saying this is a key part of what's made the MCU such a success.

Yeah Lost was awhile ago but I seem to remember every finale being "Wow that creates EVEN MORE questions!" even back then.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

When that dude was eating an apple it just made me think of George Costanza eating an apple on the phone so he sounded more casual

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Yeah Lost was awhile ago but I seem to remember every finale being "Wow that creates EVEN MORE questions!" even back then.

Lost's big thing was for every question that was answered, three more questions popped up. It was maddening as a fan but it drew audiences until the weight of it all came crashing down. It was nice to get what resolution we got but holy poo poo by like Season 3 I could tell the writers were stringing fans along. I kept watching because the characters were just so drat fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

XboxPants posted:

It's not the lack of wrap up that's the problem. It's that they suck and are a wet fizzle compared to what came before. Your climax to crazy reality altering witchy powers show is a flying around laser DBZ fight. Your climax to crazy time stream multiple versions of the same person show is a guy in a bathrobe, who is admittedly charming as hell, Architect monologue at the heroes and his big plan was... to have a pair of Lokis be in charge of All Time. Lokis?!? Who immediately fall into fighting as is their wont and instead of something characters who are god and goddess of trickery and sorcery do anything they just kinda wave some swords at each other. Palpatine's Throne Room it aint.

I liked the show, the characters were all great. Majors ate the loving scenery like that apple. But as far as a cap off to a show it was a let down.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 15, 2021