Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

mind the walrus posted:

I do agree in aggregate though-- a huge problem with blockbusters made after 2002 or so are terrified to show the main characters getting appreciably hurt and it's lame and it's weird and they should really figure that poo poo out.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a contractual thing. Like how actors won't wear helmets that cover their face (except for a plot-related shocking reveal), I would believe they don't wanna be shown bloody and exhausted.

Ive heard its in The Rock's contracts now that he can't lose a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Probably why he produces all his films now

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a contractual thing. Like how actors won't wear helmets that cover their face (except for a plot-related shocking reveal), I would believe they don't wanna be shown bloody and exhausted.

Yeah it's all rumor, but word is that the Fast and Furious guys in particular have tons of weird loving riders in their contract like how many times their characters can get knocked down, how many punches they get to throw relative to their co-stars, etc. Like apparently word leaked about their insane contracts and they went into overtime taking down any hard proof around the time of Fast 8 or w/e it was called.

The Marvel stuff is a slightly different beast. I can easily picture some actors being prima donnas about not wanting to look weak, but more likely I think it's just a brand-wide edict to make sure the "power fantasy" never gets broken too much... which is weird and stupid when you consider how much punishment the characters are taking in each movie. I might hate Thor: Ragnarok a lot for its jokes, but one thing I liked was that despite the characters all being demigods or w/e they were still ok to get the poo poo kicked out of them throughout the movie and by the end Thor is bloody and exhausted and blind in one eye.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
People should give me money so I can buy trading cards

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

I would take a dance scene any day, since it's the same level of work and choreography, its inherently "unrealistic". Whereas the five minute brawls are trying to tell me that this is happening for real in this universe, with people who cannot tire. I think Mr Nobody's bus scene was my favourite one in ages, since the hero kinda got his rear end kicked.

I just YouTube'd that scene and man, Bob Odenkirk going vigilante was a weird tone going in blind with no context.

It was a great scene because it felt like there were stakes in play. If he lost, there was a good chance he'd die. Atomic Blonde's fights had a similar feel, too.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

I just YouTube'd that scene and man, Bob Odenkirk going vigilante was a weird tone going in blind with no context.

It was a great scene because it felt like there were stakes in play. If he lost, there was a good chance he'd die. Atomic Blonde's fights had a similar feel, too.

You absolutely gotta watch that film if you liked that scene. It's pretty amazing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

PHUO: There are genuinely nice, good rich people around. (like my mom's college friend, now a retired major living in Coronado)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grouchio posted:

PHUO: There are genuinely nice, good rich people around. (like my mom's college friend, now a retired major living in Coronado)
Yes, you've stumbled upon why people call it a "systemic" issue.

The system is designed--intentionally and/or naturally--that even if every rich person were genuinely nice and good, just following the structures and systems we've set up would still result in all of the problems we have right now.

And most people of every strata are not genuinely nice and good.

That's the core of the problem.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Grouchio posted:

you can ostensibly be a nice, polite, charming person and still do bad things for personal gain, or at least work in support of a system that benefits you at the expense of other people. this is true for both rich and non-rich people, by the way

plus there's rich and there's rich

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

nurmie posted:

you can ostensibly be a nice, polite, charming person and still do bad things for personal gain, or at least work in support of a system that benefits you at the expense of other people. this is true for both rich and non-rich people, by the way

plus there's rich and there's rich
Of course. I'm just sick of the stereotype of evil bourgeois vs good commonfolk when the reality is clearly greyer.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Grouchio posted:

Of course. I'm just sick of the stereotype of evil bourgeois vs good commonfolk when the reality is clearly greyer.

The bourgeoisie own the means of production. They own the company, and tbh I really doubt that there is a single large company owner who has not committed some sort of moral offence, and the bigger the company the higher the egregious nature of the offence.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

The bourgeoisie own the means of production. They own the company, and tbh I really doubt that there is a single large company owner who has not committed some sort of moral offence, and the bigger the company the higher the egregious nature of the offence.

Milton Hershey

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Milton Hershey

The company he founded and then gave to his heirs is perhaps not the best example, considering all the child labour.

He may well have been a decent person, he certainly seems better than a lot of early 20th century magnates. But there is still a paternalism in saying "I know what is best for you, and will decide what you get".

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean I would expect the argument is supposed to go - you only reach a certain level of wealth by owning the company, and owning the company is morally wrong in itself because modern businesses are not fairly structured. I don't agree but we

But then I see people posting absurd pseudoscience like: big money number reducescone's ability to feel empathy, therefore everyone with over $x is a psychotic apex predator who lives to spread suffering.

Just the other day I saw an apparently earnest post stating that over a certain level of wealth, everyone specifically lusts to cause the deaths of poor people :wtc:

And ofc none of this accounts for high flying professionals who are loaded but don't own or run anything. Or the opposite, a useless inheritor who just lounges around and goes on nice holidays.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean I would expect the argument is supposed to go - you only reach a certain level of wealth by owning the company, and owning the company is morally wrong in itself because modern businesses are not fairly structured. I don't agree but we

But then I see people posting absurd pseudoscience like: big money number reducescone's ability to feel empathy, therefore everyone with over $x is a psychotic apex predator who lives to spread suffering.

Just the other day I saw an apparently earnest post stating that over a certain level of wealth, everyone specifically lusts to cause the deaths of poor people :wtc:

And ofc none of this accounts for high flying professionals who are loaded but don't own or run anything. Or the opposite, a useless inheritor who just lounges around and goes on nice holidays.

you seem to focus on the personal qualities of wealthy people while neglecting the systematic issues that come with (and are inseparable from) the current worldwide socioeconomic mode of operation/production. it's kind of like arguing that there were some good kings/barons/feudals/slave owners (not saying that you'd be arguing precisely this point, by the way, just an example). i mean i'm sure there were people in these positions of power that were, uhhhh, "good people" - in an interpersonal context. however, that doesn't preclude feudalism from being a Bad System for like 98%* of people living under it

i guess the current one is better, marginally - it's only a Bad System for like 75-80% of the world's population, so there's some progress at least :v:

* this includes at least some of said barons/kings/feudals/slave owners - not all people would enjoy being in these positions, yet the system traps them there. same goes for some millionaires/billionaires, i suppose

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
TBF I do think when you reach a certain level of wealth that insulates you from the experience of the vast majority of people in this world (and I'm specifically thinking of billionaires as I say this), a level where even the concept of wondering how you're going to pay for something or if you're going to have the means to provide for yourself in your old age doesn't exist, how could that not warp your perception of things given a few decades?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I mean it depends on where you draw the line for rich, but there is a line where if you're above it, you are choosing, every day, to prioritize numbers in account or fancy car number four over a fellow citizen dying in the street. "The rich" that we should eat, the 1%, are so far above this line that "lusting for the death of poors" is a fair characterization.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The topic of a six‐hundred‐million‐dollar yacht came up recently, and someone commented “to be fair, as a proportion of Jeff Bezos’ wealth, that’s like if I bought a 2003 Honda Civic”.

This is a true comparison, if the Honda Civic sold for three thousand dollars and the speaker had a net worth of a million dollars.

Jeff Bezos could drat near buy a Honda Civic for every household in America.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Strategic Tea posted:

all wealth is stolen

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

He's gone full Steven Seagal? Sad to hear. Hope that doesn't apply to his personal life.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

christmas boots posted:

TBF I do think when you reach a certain level of wealth that insulates you from the experience of the vast majority of people in this world (and I'm specifically thinking of billionaires as I say this), a level where even the concept of wondering how you're going to pay for something or if you're going to have the means to provide for yourself in your old age doesn't exist, how could that not warp your perception of things given a few decades?
That's the crux of it. The human mind-- even the genius savants of the world-- just isn't capable of wrapping its head around that level of scale beyond the most abstract numbers. We grow accustomed to our surroundings and take a certain percentage of things for granted without processing the human cost.

And we're all guilty of it. How many times a day do you really think about the slave labor that absolutely made your phones, computer, car, foods, etc. possible and even base-affordable?

But bring it back out so you don't think I'm making some South Park argument about "um actually everyone sucks :smug:" poo poo-- what I'm saying is that if your very modest working class life can still leave you with a massive cognitive dissonance on the daily about what it takes to maintain your lifestyle, how on earth can having even more money not lead to a similar-if-not-greater dissonance?

It really does read as pride and ego at the core. We all want to believe we don't have limits-- defined at diminishing returns-- when we clearly do.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

mind the walrus posted:

And most people of every strata are not genuinely nice and good.

PHUO: this is untrue. Generally throughout history people do prove nice and good.

A ground-floor neighbor I've said three words to immediately offered to take us and our cats and dog in when we got a tornado warning. An rear end in a top hat with a big ford truck and a Trump sticker pulled over to help when my gf blew a tire on a local highway. The Superdome in Katrina, when the media was screeching that it was the Purge inside, it turned out that there were 0 murders and 1 sexual assault, and bystanders beat the perpetrator when they realized it was happening. WW2-era terror bombings solidified communities instead of cowing them. I was at the 2016 Nice attack. In the aftermath everybody who could was calling for medics, helping each other, and providing first aid if they could. I'm sure there were some assholes but the vast majority of people sprung towards help, not harm or running away. It was the same in the protests last year, just way less dead and injured folks.

I dislike the worldview that most people are bad/cowardly/malicious. Of course if there's a point where you have to choose between your own and strangers, you'll take your own. But if people have the opportunity and push comes to shove, they stand with each other. It's in our nature.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-wealth-reduces-compassion/

It literally does though. Like the issues are still systemic and some people can weather it’s effects better than others, but studies are showing that money can actually change the way you empathize with others. Pointing that out isn’t pseudoscience even if you met a rich lady who was nice to you once.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

I recommend watching the full movie, it's a blast and Bob Odenkirk is very charming in it.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

all wealth is stolen

Exactly. Let's frame this in captalist terms, for the people who don't get this:

Payment is defined in terms of what someone brings the company. If you bring X value to the company, you are given more pay, right? That's what determines promotion, etc. So the very fact that companies can make money, means that the people working for the company must be paid less than they are worth.

This has very obviously been 'perverted' in the modern age with senior executives (that do literally gently caress all, or sometimes even harm the company) get obscene bonuses, while most people I know have to work 2-3 jobs to earn a wage that allows them to eat.

The fact of the matter is that as it stands, we have more than enough housing and food for everyone. The fact that people are poor is literally a matter of deliberate malice and bad logistics, because it turns out that relying on 'money' to distribute food means that most food ends up utterly wasted.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Can you still be a good person if you take advantage of an evil system?

Like a cotton trader who didn't directly enslave anyone, but knew exactly where his stock came from. Definitely a bad person, but what would their alternative be? It's not like there were many ethically sourced crops at the time. But still, earning your bucks off an evil system makes you a bad person anyway.

A surgeon who makes a half million a year off a for-profit medical system. Also a bad person. But what, are people just supposed to not do surgery? Doesn't matter, same rules apply.

Any person who exttacts value from another person's labor? Also evil. Yes that is all employment unless you are working for a public employer or yourself.

It doesn't matter if the person is chipper to you at the grocery store or picks up your mail while you're gone, they are still bad.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Manager Hoyden posted:

Like a cotton trader who didn't directly enslave anyone, but knew exactly where his stock came from. Definitely a bad person, but what would their alternative be? It's not like there were many ethically sourced crops at the time. But still, earning your bucks off an evil system makes you a bad person anyway.

A surgeon who makes a half million a year off a for-profit medical system. Also a bad person. But what, are people just supposed to not do surgery? Doesn't matter, same rules apply.

Any person who exttacts value from another person's labor? Also evil. Yes that is all employment unless you are working for a public employer or yourself.

It doesn't matter if the person is chipper to you at the grocery store or picks up your mail while you're gone, they are still bad.

This is a depressingly overly simplistic view of both society and morality

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

thetoughestbean posted:

Not really

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
All society is evil unless everyone gets to do exactly what they want.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Most attempts to introduce complexity always seem to be trying to make people who do bad things feel better by claiming greater context for wrong action.

I don't think it always is, but a lot of the time there are going to be better options.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

Most attempts to introduce complexity always seem to be trying to make people who do bad things feel better by claiming greater context for wrong action.

I don't think it always is, but a lot of the time there are going to be better options.

If you aren't a rice farmer in Bangladesh I guarantee you do the exact bad actions you think of

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you aren't a rice farmer in Bangladesh I guarantee you do the exact bad actions you think of

Very possibly. But then I think I'm a bad person and I am not trying to excuse that fact.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Jul 15, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Manager Hoyden posted:

got some bad news...

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

fizzymercury posted:

I keep my thermostat at 80f because that's the perfect indoor temperature and apparently that's the most unpopular opinion on the planet.

Icky. My thermostat stayed at 65 during the summer. During the winter I'll let it drop to 60.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

73 is ok, 74 is completely unacceptable

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

Very possibly. But then I think I'm a bad personand I am not trying to excuse that fact.

You're not, I think.

If you're poor in the west it's not bad to get cheap food for your kids, even if the food is a result of massive exploitation of even poorer people. That is the only option. No one should be expected to not feed themselves or their loved ones, or go without entertainment, or a safe bed. Being born in Europe/NA/ANZ/Japan/wherever doesn't reduce your rights to those. The problem is our system.

Like, banana production is enormously exploitative and has been a producer of genocide. But they are very cheap in the US, perhaps the cheapest fruit. Bananas are also a fairly calorie dense source of fibre, and potassium. A critical nutrient for human health. A poor person in the US buying bananas for themselves and their family is not a bad person. The system we live under is bad.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Jul 15, 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Isn't this the plot to The Good Place?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Look I don't really care if they're evil or whatever, just heavily tax everyone making over a certain amount ever year. See, easy, use that money to grow Government and further empower The State.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

Very possibly. But then I think I'm a bad personand I am not trying to excuse that fact.

I hope you think better of yourself eventually, friend. You post like a thoughtful guy and I don’t think you’re bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like, banana production is enormously exploitative and has been a producer of genocide. But they are very cheap in the US, perhaps the cheapest fruit. Bananas are also a fairly calorie dense source of fibre, and potassium. A critical nutrient for human health. A poor person in the US buying bananas for themselves and their family is not a bad person. The system we live under is bad.

PHUO: Bananas are disgusting. Nutritionally they're fantastic, which makes it such a pity about the taste and the texture and the stench.