Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
they don't need to even build a spaceship if they're entities from the emotion dimension that you can summon from the sky with greatfulness.

make the leap to woo poo poo, cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mola Yam posted:

they don't need to even build a spaceship if they're entities from the emotion dimension that you can summon from the sky with greatfulness.

make the leap to woo poo poo, cowards

beam good thoughts to me and maybe I will

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
interdimensional sasquatch loves u and wants u to be happy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bob Socko posted:

They don’t even need to inhibit aging if they have figured out how to travel at close to the speed of light.
(source: I watched Interstellar a few times)

that sucks for all sorts of reasons tho. you might want to do it for intergalactic travel but it's not suitable for exploration or building sustainable societies in a local area, because you're basically cutting yourself off from the universe for millions of years even though it's very fast for you. either you get there and somebody from your society already did a slow-boat trip that took less "real time" and beat you to it, or you emerge into a context totally transformed from what you left behind due to millions of years of tech development, or you find that you're the last survivors of your species because everybody else died a really long time ago. not that a society wouldn't necessarily want to send a few ships out like that if somebody was willing to go, but it wouldn't be the usual strategy most likely

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 03:48 on Jul 15, 2021

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Jazerus posted:

yeah i mean the trick is to have a mind that's both open and closed.

new atheism is sort of like a defense mechanism...you close your mind entirely to the supernatural and religion because you can observe the flaws in what is being believed around you, and observe the way that it hurts people. you address these things on a battleground where you're sure to have victory - picking at details, throwing doubt on this passage or that, essentially subjecting it to reason until you are satisfied that you have no reason to listen at all. this is basically what drives most "new atheist" writers. religious fundamentalism is a similar process of closing your mind, just along a different set of principles...i'm sure you've noticed at some point that the most zealous new atheists are former zealous fundamentalists.

ultimately though, if you retreat fully into having a closed mind you end up looking and sounding like NDT or mick west on UFOs - that is, your "rationality" has led you to a point of irrational dogma, where you aren't actually doing the rational thing and genuinely evaluating evidence. this is really common in more mundane things too, like peer review for grants and papers in science; the number of senior scientists who wholeheartedly believe that something in their field is "impossible" while the folks in another related field routinely observe that "impossible" thing in a slightly different context, such as a different type of organism, is enormous.

it's up to you where you draw the line between reality and woo-woo batshit stuff, but imo if you draw that line too soon you'll end up excluding things that are really part of reality, as well as forsaking any understanding of the symbolic/philosophical layer of religion and the supernatural which informs how a lot of people behave. you will be too busy defending your position and talking about how actually birds make 90-degree instantaneous acceleration turns all the time to contemplate anything that's fringe or metaphysical. this would be fine except valid scientific concepts start out as fringe, or even metaphysical, all the time. atomism was metaphysical, until the atom was actually observed. many many ideas have been fringe and then totally overturned the previous mainstream. being willing to admit to possibilities isn't the same thing as throwing your mind wide open and simply believing in anything.

:hai:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Zisky posted:

I had no idea Bigelow funds his space stuff with the profits from his chain of extended stay hotels.

lmao i forgot about his hotel chain

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

i like the idea of contact naturally being with the bird equivalent of a mormon because you need to be a hardcore believer to get in a generation ship and make the trip

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Jazerus posted:

that sucks for all sorts of reasons tho. you might want to do it for intergalactic travel but it's not suitable for exploration or building sustainable societies in a local area, because you're basically cutting yourself off from the universe for millions of years even though it's very fast for you. either you get there and somebody from your society already did a slow-boat trip that took less "real time" and beat you to it, or you emerge into a context totally transformed from what you left behind due to millions of years of tech development, or you find that you're the last survivors of your species because everybody else died a really long time ago. not that a society wouldn't necessarily want to send a few ships out like that if somebody was willing to go, but it wouldn't be the usual strategy most likely

what if that's what the birds are....and now they've come home

music swells

smash cut to title card

DISCLOSURE

Coming July Aitee

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Elizondo: I would actually go back to ancient Rome. When I was in Italy, I had the sincere honor and privilege of talking to one of the head academics in Rome, and there they provided a communication — a scroll if you will — between a Roman soldier and a Roman general, and in there he describes what they call a clipeus … the Roman shield from the Latin word … and they described what they call these flaming Roman shields in the sky that would follow them from battle space to battle space. I think for me that would be really interesting because going back that far, if I had the ability to look at a UAP, I could then make a determination knowing what I know now — are these vehicles consistent with what we’re seeing today or have they evolved as well, if it’s like humanity has evolved? Is there some sort of evolutionary process going on with these things, or is it not? Is it fairly consistent?

This is actually a really cool point because I've sort of noticed something similar in that past depections of birds have involved poo poo like giant airships with propellers in the late 1800s or like how depictions from the 40s or 50s always look sorta different in an old-school sci-fi aesthetic way that today's birds do not.

We've got pills and triangles these days, not knobby saucers. Maybe all the fakes back then are what created the aesthetic of the time? Maybe they're manifestations of the gesault consciousness and change with technological evolution? Wtf knows

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

OK baizuo posted:

We've got pills and triangles these days, not knobby saucers. Maybe all the fakes back then are what created the aesthetic of the time? Maybe they're manifestations of the gesault consciousness and change with technological evolution? Wtf knows

Saucer reports never stopped.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

E: whoa wrong thread

munce
Oct 23, 2010

WEH posted:

Saucer reports never stopped.

indeed.

*U* UFO Database by Larry Hatch
This is the home of the *U* Database. *U* is a serious 20 year UFO research effort to catalog, map, and do statistics on UFO reports worldwide. Dates range from recent to ancient times. Foo fighters, ghost rockets, flying saucers, disks, cones, domes, wheels, spheres, probes, deltoids, flying triangles, cylinders; boomerang, lens and related shapes; landings, robots and even humanoid occupants are reported. Sighting waves from 1947, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1973 etc. are mapped and graphed.

Discovered hoaxes and misidentified mundane events are weeded out. Fireballs, night­lights and similar phenomena with low information content are passed over. *U* does not catalog miracles, chupacabras, bigfoot, crop circles, folklore, ghosts, paranormal, new­age nor Fortean events unless clearly UFO related. Cult and contactee tales are extremely suspect. Still, a surprising 18,552 UFO / OVNI sightings are listed, from a large set of reference sources.

None of this proves or disproves the extraterrestrial hypothesis (ETH), alien abductions, time travel, extra space dimensions or even wilder theories. This website shows UFO maps and graphs hoping that real patterns or clues may emerge, UFO evidence if not proof, some genuine ufology at least.

(260 page pdf report)
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/454a3e_65cf230958ac4cd1b55f281098dc5e5d.pdf

website
https://web.archive.org/web/20060821041301/http://www.larryhatch.net:80/

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Log082 posted:

not really though

people keep saying this and it's not true. von nueman probes would easily do it and we can alllllmost build them ourselves, right now.

How does a self replicating spacecraft put an alien on earth? And in case you misunderstood I didn't mean to say that I don't think there is life somewhere beyond here on Earth, the universe is real big so yeah there is probably life out there.

ignoring how likely it is or isn't it would be so cool if some alien version of the Voyager probes crash landed on Earth in recoverable condition

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Jul 15, 2021

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Jazerus posted:

this is basically what drives most "new atheist" writers. religious fundamentalism is a similar process of closing your mind, 4
I like this post and it hits me in a way with something I struggle with personally. Coming from an awful fundamentalist upbringing, a lot of this resonates. I would push back on your criticism of 'new atheism' however. Christianity, organised religion and religion are such nebulous terms so its extremely difficult to talk about this in person, let alone through text. Like, i will try my best but i have little hope anybody can communicate on these topics very well at all. But if you could replace the words "organised religion" with "literal physical, emotional and otherwise abuse and child abuse". And then you might get a better idea about why some who are born into fundamentalist religion become long time angry atheists, seemingly stuck in vindictive arrested development. Its because, from the perspective of myself and others, they are synonymous. And there is literally no baby in the bathwater with child abuse. There is nothing to open the mind to. There is no such thing as a mind not open enough to child abuse. And from the perspective of those who may not have had such a horrific experience with organised religion might lament that there exists 'new atheists' who come across as smug and - look!! Just as bad, just with a new ideological label!! The truth is, many of the perpetual energy of these atheists are people coping with big life traumas. And i always find it rich and patronizing when some people who have moved on say things like "look at those fedora donning dumb internet atheists" i mean sure, there are lovely people who are using the atheist label as some sort of lovely self esteem crutch. But to say that those who still identify as atheist are losing out for being closed minded to religion is to miss that what they are saying is "i survived a social and family cultural system that supports, promotes and actions child abuse - i disavoy amd must learn to cope with what i was born into for the rest of my life". And to hear, "😄oh mate you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater" is to hear "child abuse is cool and good and i am looking down on you for disagreeing" its gross and disgusting and reprehensible.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

im going to become a wankhman on tschai

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

please in your head just replace “atheist” with “I am skeptical that uap’s are alien in origin”

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

But to say that those who still identify as atheist are losing out for being closed minded to religion is to miss that what they are saying is "i survived a social and family cultural system that supports, promotes and actions child abuse - i disavoy amd must learn to cope with what i was born into for the rest of my life". And to hear, "😄oh mate you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater" is to hear "child abuse is cool and good and i am looking down on you for disagreeing" its gross and disgusting and reprehensible.

hey uh well i'm still an atheist. atheism and "new atheism" aren't the same thing. the main difference is that new atheism has a lot of reactionary poo poo in it and comes at religious beliefs/texts in much the same way that a fundamentalist preacher might - that is, as a bunch of disconnected passages to be thrown out for ridicule or veneration independently of each other. the new atheism lens of analysis is often pretty dishonest and pulls out individual sentences or sections of the bible to "debunk" or make fun of that are intended symbolically or otherwise non-literally, or are from an old/poor translation, or are mocked through a 21st century american perspective imposed on an ancient cultural context, etc. it just doesn't lead to any understanding of the actual content when really it is preferable to be an atheist who understands what exactly you are rejecting, philosophically, and why.

this loops back around to the ufo/paranormal sphere of things in that you should generally be open to hearing things out if they aren't too wacky on their face. look at UFOs and well, :parrot: there are clearly birds doing things that are not scientifically understood at the moment. someone who assumes a priori that alien visitation is truly impossible as an explanation for bird behavior, and doesn't engage with the possibility, is not really being rational or scientific.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Jazerus posted:

hey uh well i'm still an atheist. atheism and "new atheism" aren't the same thing. the main difference is that new atheism has a lot of reactionary poo poo in it and comes at religious beliefs/texts in much the same way that a fundamentalist preacher might - that is, as a bunch of disconnected passages to be thrown out for ridicule or veneration independently of each other. the new atheism lens of analysis is often pretty dishonest and pulls out individual sentences or sections of the bible to "debunk" or make fun of that are intended symbolically or otherwise non-literally, or are from an old/poor translation, or are mocked through a 21st century american perspective imposed on an ancient cultural context, etc. it just doesn't lead to any understanding of the actual content when really it is preferable to be an atheist who understands what exactly you are rejecting, philosophically, and why.

this loops back around to the ufo/paranormal sphere of things in that you should generally be open to hearing things out if they aren't too wacky on their face. look at UFOs and well, :parrot: there are clearly birds doing things that are not scientifically understood at the moment. someone who assumes a priori that alien visitation is truly impossible as an explanation for bird behavior, and doesn't engage with the possibility, is not really being rational or scientific.
You lost me at "are intended symbolically"
What the heck does intend even mean in this case? I'm fairly certain it's been agreed upon that at least some of the stories in ancient religious texts that eventually funnelled into certain biblical canons were viewed at some point as literal by some people. It's not like everybody before x date saw these stories are purely symbolic. We have plentiful religions and cultures today that have adherents that will straight up tell you their stories are literal depictions. How can you prove that these texts were intended to be symbolic? Because many, many theologians throughout history have expressly disagreed with that notion. And maybe, just maybe, it's OK to take these texts down from their pedestal where by virtue of being on their pedestal they have been used to excuse and encourage child abuse. Hell, just look at what's going on in Canada right now. Are you really coming to the defence of those who used Christianity/the bible to justify their actions in those schools? I get that you feel it's really really obvious that some texts are symbolic and have value in their symbolic interpretations. But you have to keep in mind, many, many, many people do not. Many people believe entire texts like their versions of the bible are wholly literal. And I think you are mudding the water by saying the alterative is to be open to hearing things that 'aren't too wacky' when it seems like what you are asking people to be open to is.... organised religion????

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

do we seriously have someone on here defending new atheism in TYOL 2021?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

PawParole posted:

do we seriously have someone on here defending new atheism in TYOL 2021?
I do not know what your definition of new atheism is. I'm defending that people are allowed to be upset at organised religion and want no part in it. It's OK to not be into organised religion? It's OK to not be into organisations which shelter child abuse? It's OK to feel human and tender about these things and it's OK to feel sore and traumatised and horrifically abused by certain religious organisations? It's kind of sick to insinuate if you are, then you must be part of 'new atheism' and therefore aren't allowed to feel these things? I mean, how far do you want to defend organised religion here? Genuinely curious.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

please take the religion slapfight to the witchcraft and wizardry thread, where it belongs

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

what’s the difference

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

I do not know what your definition of new atheism is. I'm defending that people are allowed to be upset at organised religion and want no part in it. It's OK to not be into organised religion? It's OK to not be into organisations which shelter child abuse? It's OK to feel human and tender about these things and it's OK to feel sore and traumatised and horrifically abused by certain religious organisations? It's kind of sick to insinuate if you are, then you must be part of 'new atheism' and therefore aren't allowed to feel these things? I mean, how far do you want to defend organised religion here? Genuinely curious.

hey did you hear aliens might be real after all?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Lampsacus posted:

that's not new atheism at all, thats just normal atheism/ agnosticism. new atheists are to atheism what evangelicals are to christianity

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It's actually pretty disgusting that people would mock somebody who has obviously had a pretty rough time with organised religion for saying they have. I get that you might like to troll and rile somebody up, but mocking somebody's trauma is kind of reprehensible. You are people literally being snarky, mocking and making light about somebody's experience with child abuse.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

It's actually pretty disgusting that people would mock somebody who has obviously had a pretty rough time with organised religion for saying they have. I get that you might like to troll and rile somebody up, but mocking somebody's trauma is kind of reprehensible. You are people literally being snarky, mocking and making light about somebody's experience with child abuse.

I was raised Mormon. also this is the UFO thread

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

You lost me at "are intended symbolically"
What the heck does intend even mean in this case? I'm fairly certain it's been agreed upon that at least some of the stories in ancient religious texts that eventually funnelled into certain biblical canons were viewed at some point as literal by some people. It's not like everybody before x date saw these stories are purely symbolic. We have plentiful religions and cultures today that have adherents that will straight up tell you their stories are literal depictions. How can you prove that these texts were intended to be symbolic? Because many, many theologians throughout history have expressly disagreed with that notion. And maybe, just maybe, it's OK to take these texts down from their pedestal where by virtue of being on their pedestal they have been used to excuse and encourage child abuse. Hell, just look at what's going on in Canada right now. Are you really coming to the defence of those who used Christianity/the bible to justify their actions in those schools? I get that you feel it's really really obvious that some texts are symbolic and have value in their symbolic interpretations. But you have to keep in mind, many, many, many people do not. Many people believe entire texts like their versions of the bible are wholly literal. And I think you are mudding the water by saying the alterative is to be open to hearing things that 'aren't too wacky' when it seems like what you are asking people to be open to is.... organised religion????

you should be open to understanding those religions in the various ways that they are understood by other people even if you wholly reject their worldview and beliefs. absolutely that varies from literalist interpretations, which are generally self-contradictory and often both silly and sinister, to wholly symbolic/philosophical interpretations, which are not interested in literal self-consistency at all, and many points in between. this isn't really very complicated. i'm not trying to prove anything, and i'm not trying to tell you that you should be open to an organization that abused you and others, or other organizations of its type.

like man, i'm not a fundie don't come at me in this circuitous, dualist kind of way where you basically assert that because i don't want to scour all religion from the earth i support religious abuse. this is why people don't like new atheists.

anyway i've got a mothership to catch for aitee, later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aGnuLXCruc

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

I was raised Mormon. also this is the UFO thread
Endorsing child abuse is never OK.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

lampsacus is the person that was convinced they were getting gaslit by the thread for no reason a month ago, abort

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

gently caress off with the atheism.
We only have a few dozen hours before the aitee'th, so prepare to be recircumsized by the new gods and the new covenant we'll beg for.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

no gods but aitee

no masters but the greys

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

good thing nobody here has done that lol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lampsacus posted:

but what if that child was hitler????

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

hey shut the gently caress up dawg

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
*looks up to the sky* thanks, *a bird appears and nukes me instantly*

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

WEH posted:

lampsacus is the person that was convinced they were getting gaslit by the thread for no reason a month ago, abort
:( I didn't think I was being gas-lit, I said it's OK to want aliens to exist. And it was the space thread not this one, and it was part of a discussion that led to this being the main ufo thread. But I'm sorry for being disruptive and will stop posting. :(

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

And stop gas lighting and acting abusively. To continue to assert that somebody believes something, three times now, when they have said point blank that they do not is absolutely an element of abusive rhetoric.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Oh! I was wrong. Apologies about that. My bad. But like, I stand by that post. Because it absolutely is a hallmark of abusive rhetoric and there shouldn't be any stigma in pointing that out.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

stop gaslighting us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

i need you to project these atheism, religion and abuse thoughts into the sky to see what they summon