Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't think "aluminized" is even a fair description of whatever Walker makes their exhausts out of. The muffler I had on the Civic was like if you tried to make a flaky pastry out of mild pot steel and then spraypainted it silver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A very accurate statement. Mine was flaking huge sheets of rust as early as 2017 and I only put it on 2 years before then. It's only been driven in one winter and it basically evaporated after that. My Subaru Walker exhausts never last over 3 years, only reason I ever bought them is that they are the only company making them.

Veeb0rg posted:

Had that happen to me once on my 95. Mine kept running but had a weird miss at idle that smoothed out at rpm. It took far to long to figure it out since its such an odd failure.

You know, that's a very very good description of how it's been acting for weeks up till the catastrophic failure point. I think the rotor was catching on one post in the cap.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

My sister had a new exhaust put on her Jeep like 3 years ago and it's already had to be fixed twice. Totally new from the cat back. Luckily a shop did it and not me and they fixed it for nothing. Still bullshit though, must be Walker

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well. Saturday and Sunday I finally got the trailer framing welded up.

I'm calling this the jeepep Comancheche

Still needs a bunch of work but it's nice to have the hard part done. This trailer and truck will have all my residential DIY tools and all my most critical automotive repair tools onboard for the move and will be caravanning with my wife's Buick Roadmaster, I plan to drive the Honcho out caravanning with one of our neighbors who will be out east in southern NH in late June and early July.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I love the massive rectangle tube welded to the wimpy little drawbar and super thin truck frame. :D

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Elviscat posted:

I love the massive rectangle tube welded to the wimpy little drawbar and super thin truck frame. :D

There's a method to my madness.

The 6x3 0.25 wall tubing slotted perfectly into the unibody frame rails, which, yes, are about 1/8 wall. I rosette welded them in 3 places each plus the lap welds and I'll be adding gussets at the top and bottom of each as well.

The 6x2 0.25 wall diagonal tubes, well, I had 14 feet of that in stock from an abandoned project so I used some.

The 3x3 0.25 wall drawbar was again in stock and the hitch fit on it nicely so I used it.

I'll be adding a gusset/boxing in the bottom of the joint between the 6x2s and the 3x3 for sure, and capping all places where water could get into an open end, then using Eastwood internal chassis coat and some sort of heavy paint on everything.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm the exhaust pipe in the trailer :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think everyone who sees that pic has said that :v: I keep thinking about removing it but :effort:

Rebuilt my front driveshaft last night, right after trying to pull a Honda out of divots it sank into when a friend parked it for 5 years after a CV almost exploded so we could drag it to the hangar to fix for her. My Dana 35 is making very unhappy pops and bangs. Pretty sure the spider gears just went snaggletooth on me... Guess I'm ordering new rear leafs and doing the rear suspension and axle swap to 8.25 sooner rather than later. :shepspends:

loving 510 dollars for leaf springs for a 500 dollar truck. But the old ones were so shagged I wasn't sure I wanted to tow cross country with them anyways, a few hundred pounds in the bed basically puts it on the bumpstops.

Edit: to add insult to injury, the Honda drove out of the divots itself once we jump started it. Apparently a Civic open differential is better than a Dana 35, I was in 2wd due to the lack of a front driveshaft at that moment.

kastein fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 30, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Man I am gonna miss being able to order Crown and genuine Spicer parts from my buddy at the Crown Automotive factory outlet store and get them next-day for UPS ground prices when we move. All the stuff to rebuild my spare front driveshaft just arrived yesterday and I only ordered it at lunchtime Thursday. Unfortunately due to corporate agreements they're only allowed to ship to Massachusetts customers :sigh:

Leaf springs are due Wednesday, it's supposed to stop raining that night. I think Thursday (or maybe weekend) will be new rear axle, leafs, shackles, shocks, and driveshaft measuring time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That didn't loving happen because I got there and discovered that the brakes were hosed (from the axle sitting in the woods) and needed total replacement, and oh yeah the replacement axle has a bad spider gear just like the old one! I think my friend I bought it from did burnouts before cutting the Jeep up...

... It was a 50 dollar axle and this was a great excuse to buy a Spartan locker for it for $160 (retail $310, buddy was looking to offload it) so this thing is going to be locked front and rear now. :getin:

Hoping to get started on the swap in the next few days.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Found time to get out to the hangar today to tear down my spare np231. It was, uh, rather more full of water than I would have liked. I think it's been demoted from spare np231 to spare parts np231... I don't like the look of the fluid in the one that's in the MJ (it looks like it's eaten a bearing, dammit) so I think once I swap the rear axle I'll pull that back out and hopefully patch one working case together out of that one, the spare parts one, the 5 gallon pail full of another one, and the other spare one sitting in the corner. I don't know why I have so many of these but it's coming in handy now.

Everything else appears to be ready to go for the rear axle swap.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How many of these spare parts will you take with you when you move and how long after you move will you regret the answer wasn't "absolutely everything and some more I picked up on the way"?

:v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

How many junk yards are you hitting along the way? Could always Row52 and have people in the area assist.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I really don't want to do major drivetrain work on the side of the road, trying to get it all out of the way first. Also don't want to haul more project parts collections than I have to, so using them up first. Minor bolton crap? Engine ancillaries, EFI poo poo, maybe driveshaft ujoints? That's gonna happen, I'm sure.

I'll be taking tools and spare parts but I really don't want the spare parts collection to include anything that weighs over, say, 30lb or so.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Moving, especially across the country, is a great time to purge. Every time we move we get rid of a bunch of stuff, get settled and find more stuff we should have gotten rid of.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Oh yeah, for sure. I've gotten rid of literal truckloads of poo poo already and more left to get rid of still.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was gonna send you some tools I'll never use that I acquired from a neighbor that passed away but I'll wait until you move first :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah thank you very much for thinking of me but absolutely wait on that. 50lbs of poo poo, 5lb sack...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

I really don't want to do major drivetrain work on the side of the road, trying to get it all out of the way first. Also don't want to haul more project parts collections than I have to, so using them up first. Minor bolton crap? Engine ancillaries, EFI poo poo, maybe driveshaft ujoints? That's gonna happen, I'm sure.

I'll be taking tools and spare parts but I really don't want the spare parts collection to include anything that weighs over, say, 30lb or so.

Having gone cross country several times, what you bring will not break. What you do not bring will break with significant annoyance, sometimes at the most inopportune time.

I dragged 3/4 of a 4HP24, tcase, drivelines, a diff or two, a pile of ancillaries, and all sorts of electrical parts to the rangie cross country, wound up never needing any of it and giving most it away on the other side.. Trailer wheel bearings would have been nice though...

Fresh brand joints on a balanced shaft? no need for spares on a road trip..overlanding, sure. Bring a grease gun instead(and put it in a bag or something).
achilles heel efi parts, pumps, filters, crank sensors, the 'no start' or 'i'm hosed on the side of i80 parts'. These are all super easy things to just *do* before the trip and not worry about. Carry the old part if you're overlanding.
Same story with the belts and hoses. Do carry a quantity of each required fluid.. Pinion seals do poo poo out as do tcase output seals... A leak gets you to town if there's spare fluid onboard. (a hand pump in a bag is pro af.) You've built everything fresh so you're proobably fine here.

You've all the space in the world with *some* time right now..throw the best of the best parts/ancillaries into service after an inspection then don't carry the extra bullshit. Anything mildly lovely or questionable now will definitely be questionable after several 8-12 hour days of constant running.
Learn from recent experience, make sure the cooling system isn't comprised of :banjo: farm fixes. Cooling problems are there on almost every long distance journey I've done.

Oh and there's a throw out bearing that's squeaking. Learn from future me, least the worst bolt is already out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I am absolutely not in the mood to vbulletin format this as nicely as I wanted, so here are selected quotes and what my plan is:

Trailer wheel bearings would have been nice though...
- the moving trailer ones are on the list to do before leaving
- Comanche trailer ones are oil bathed (lol only safe use for a Dana 35) but I'll be bringing spare loaded shafts for this reason
- tow dolly, if it comes, has new bearings in the last 500 miles and they still feel rather smooth
- every trailer and vehicle will have, or has, a full size spare and a jack on board

Fresh brand joints on a balanced shaft?
- yes, but some jackass hosed up and busted the zerk off, so who knows how long it'll last. I can do them in my sleep now and have 4 spares, it only takes 5 to redo the entire driveline front to rear.
- definitely hosed up the seals on one front axle shaft joint as well (hadn't done one of those in 7 years) but carrying spare joints... And these will be spare shafts by then.

Bring a grease gun instead(and put it in a bag or something).
- I'm going to have my entire collection of automotive hand and battery tools in the back of the truck and my entire collection of contractor tools in the trailer behind it. All my grease guns are air powered, but I might have a hand powered one somewhere

achilles heel efi parts, pumps, filters, crank sensors, the 'no start' or 'i'm hosed on the side of i80 parts'. These are all super easy things to just *do* before the trip and not worry about. Carry the old part if you're overlanding.
- most of them I've done already in the past few years, so I carry spares instead. But then again, I literally carry those spares even if I'm daily driving it. I don't leave home in the MJ without an ECU, CPS, ICM, fuel pump and sock, TPS, fuses, DMM, analog meter, and snapon mt2500. As a result, the ignition switch and rotor stranded me instead... Both are now brand new and I now carry a spare rotor. The Honcho I'll be carrying a spare fuel pump assembly plus a bunch of other EFI parts too, but I'm not super afraid of anything but the ECU since I have AAA 100 mile and it's such a common engine donor every parts store in the country should have every sensor for it on the shelf, worst case. If the ECU goes I'll be pretty salty about it since I'll have to blow 100 bucks in hpt credits to drop my tune on another junkyard one, but I also don't really give much of a gently caress, that's not the end of the world.

Same story with the belts and hoses. Do carry a quantity of each required fluid.. Pinion seals do poo poo out as do tcase output seals...
- spare serp belt and radiator hoses are on the list, especially since I already own them.
- pinion seals will be 100% new (as soon as I put my new rear axle in), trans output and all 3 tcase seals are or will be soon.
- yeah I need to remember to bring fluids. I've been lax about that recently.

Cooling problems are there on almost every long distance journey I've done.
- luckily the cooling systems in everything are less than 6 years old, or otherwise nearly new. Well, the water pump on the roadmaster is possibly leaking at this point, but the rest is new. All of it will be gone through before the drive.

Honestly the 4L60e in the Roadmaster scares me the most. But we will be doing a leisurely 55-65 the whole way and Britt is a gentle driver so hopefully it will be fine. I've debated building a 4L80e for it before even leaving though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe throw a decent sized trans cooler on the Roadmaster for added insurance?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That is a great idea, and I'm going to have to look into it. I'm sure it has room behind the grille, there's enough room to hide a suitcase in there.

kastein posted:

oh yeah the replacement axle has a bad spider gear just like the old one
Problem:

Solution: $160 lunchbox locker

Wheels were really drat stuck on. Yes I tried the hammer on it method, and from experience it was too stuck for the loose lugnuts Italian tune up trick too. Made a deafening bang when each one finally popped off:

Went to unbolt the passenger side leaf eye and... That doesn't seem quite right

Driver side had the opposite problem and I had to cut things to pieces to get the bolt out of the bushing sleeve:

New leafs in place, axle was temporarily bolted in loosely, pinion angle set, torqued down the rest of the way, pinion angle checked, then tack welded and unbolted for full welding:

Welds aren't super pretty but they'll hold:

Got the brakes done, ebrake cables hooked up, everything painted and reassembled, brake pipes flared and bent, diff filled, driveshaft bolted up, etc. Realized I didn't buy any shock mount studs. Took it out for a test drive on the runway and it was alright so time to break the old axle down and see if my diagnosis was correct:

Oh dear

Hmmm that would do it I guess

4.5 spider gear teeth and 1 side gear tooth AWOL, all the rest are worn and look like hammered dog poo poo. One spider gear thrust washer has clearly been pounded to poo poo by gears butting teeth instead of meshing. The oil rattled when it hit the drain pan. All the bearings looked like poo poo too.

Went to Crown Automotive today and picked up an armored diff cover, shock studs, and an oil filter adapter o ring kit, so sometime soon I'll be doing all that. It's extremely sketchy on the road with no rear shocks so I'm barely driving it until I get that done.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

The oil rattled when it hit the drain pan.

This is the first time I've ever heard that, but I know exactly what you mean. It fits perfectly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Seriously, it had multiple gear teeth in it. I heard them and everything. Dumped it out into the pan and was like ohhhhh this is gonna be good. :lol:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Internals-rich lubricant.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

extra crunchy peanut butter gear oil

Also, you know how your Gladiator was based on the Wagoneer?......

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yesssssssss

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Oh my.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

It would be a $90k pickup, though.
So, on par with your average F-150, then.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ken would have to wait until he's 85 to get one as cheap as possible

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That looks better than it has any right to.

Honestly of the currently available/slated for release trucks, only 3 really hold my interest at all, the gladiator, cybertruck, and f150 lightning.
I like the look and suspension design of the gladiator, but not the bed length or quad cab.
I like the cargo capacity of the cybertruck and fact that it's an EV, but oh my gently caress is it ever ugly.
I like the cargo capacity of the f150 lightning and the fact that it's an EV and produced by a company that's existed and been profitable more years than it hasn't, so my warranty might actually hold water, even though I hate on Ford A LOT when I have to fix them for my family. I don't like the looks but I also don't hate them, it just sort of exists.

I'll probably buy a lightning for a daily driver when they come out. The price isn't looking bad for the base model and the base model will be 4wd, which is essentially the only option I give a poo poo about.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am surprised at the reception of the lightning, it looks solid tho

My stepdad just traded a mint flex (which he would not sell to me) towards a new edge titanium and the freaking door wasn’t put on right and was pooling water in the floorboard the first week. Ridiculous

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

That looks better than it has any right to.

Honestly of the currently available/slated for release trucks, only 3 really hold my interest at all, the gladiator, cybertruck, and f150 lightning.
I like the look and suspension design of the gladiator, but not the bed length or quad cab.
I like the cargo capacity of the cybertruck and fact that it's an EV, but oh my gently caress is it ever ugly.
I like the cargo capacity of the f150 lightning and the fact that it's an EV and produced by a company that's existed and been profitable more years than it hasn't, so my warranty might actually hold water, even though I hate on Ford A LOT when I have to fix them for my family. I don't like the looks but I also don't hate them, it just sort of exists.

I'll probably buy a lightning for a daily driver when they come out. The price isn't looking bad for the base model and the base model will be 4wd, which is essentially the only option I give a poo poo about.

Also, the whole "battery backup for your house" is compelling. Tesla is missing a trick big time right there.

edit: I'd like them to do a Ranger Lightning. I don't really want the full size.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Darchangel posted:

Also, the whole "battery backup for your house" is compelling. Tesla is missing a trick big time right there.

edit: I'd like them to do a Ranger Lightning. I don't really want the full size.

Why not? The Ranger is pretty big. A crew cab Ranger is 211" long, the Lightning is 232". It's only about 2" more narrow as well. The draw to me for the Ranger vs 150 has always been economy but the Lightning kills that entirely, and the difference between 211" and 232" isn't going to make any difference outside of a cramped parking garage. If you're doing that often you're going to be annoyed in any truck.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Nearly two feet can be the difference between it fitting in a garage or not. I hate driving new full size trucks but the couple "midsize" I've borrowed from friends haven't been nearly as bad. They're still all too drat big.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I will be building a 40x80-ish shop with at least one commercial size garage door so I'm not too concerned with size. And yeah the backup power is a very nice feature. I wish they'd allow it to produce actual 3 phase output power since I could grid charge it and then use it to power machine tools that way but I entirely understand why they absolutely will never ever waste budget on that.

It's still really weird walking up to the Comanche and seeing it with the rear sitting higher than the front by a little like it's supposed to. I got so used to it having a mild Carolina squat that this is throwing me off still. It sits higher in the rear with like 600lb of scrap parts and random junk in it than it did empty before.

Hopefully my new rear driveshaft will be here in a few days, I'm planning on trying to get the shocks done Monday along with a few other minor repairs, my fuel tank skid plate, and maybe working on the front 70 for the Honcho. I really want that done before the move so I can toss the front 44 on craigslist instead of dragging the front 70 with me using up cargo space. It rides for free if it's already under the truck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well, the mill Disgruntled Bovine hooked me up with 7 or 8 years ago has gone on to its next owner. I was never gonna manage to get it to Washington so it needed a new home. The guy who picked it up seemed like he knows his poo poo and I'm hoping he'll keep me updated on what he's doing with it.

I'd upload pictures but imgur is being a lovely pile of gently caress again, three tries and three lock ups was enough for me.

Edit: new driveshaft was ordered May 25 and I've been getting the run around on when it will ship ever since then, I call every couple weeks and the shop owner insists it's "on his build table" and "should ship tonight or tomorrow". In a week or two I'm just going to call my bank and tell them I want my money back because he hasn't even attempted to fake shipment by giving me a tracking number that isn't on a package yet. I should have just spent an extra 20 bucks at the other shop.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 15, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

kastein posted:

I wish they'd allow it to produce actual 3 phase output power since I could grid charge it and then use it to power machine tools that way but I entirely understand why they absolutely will never ever waste budget on that.

What if you have 3 Rangers?

Ha ha, you could actually do this if you hacked some sync circuitry in the inverters.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Don't tempt me like this. Though I'd probably just use a rotary phase converter, either the splitphase-plus-a-120°-leg motor kind or the big single phase motor driving a 3 phase generator head kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

the splitphase-plus-a-120°-leg motor kind

this is nasty, didnt know that was a thing