Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wildermyth is the best XCOM in 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

just googled that and that art style looks like a 15 year old's attempt at a webcomic

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yep that’s about right

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

jokes posted:

Wildermyth is the best XCOM in 20 years.

More partial to Troubleshooter myself as "The best X-Com game".

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Caesar Saladin posted:

just googled that and that art style looks like a 15 year old's attempt at a webcomic

Looks charming though :kiddo:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Tonights unpopular videogame opinion comes from Sony boss, Jim Ryan.

quote:

It is better to wait and have a great game than to rush and have a game that is [only] okay or quite good. Players only remember [the] best games rather than OK games. If it is a best game, players may want a sequel, and they will also want to buy a sequel, but no one really cares about a game that is only OK. Of course, due to financial and product portfolio considerations, we will also give pressure to studios to deliver a certain product within the expected time. But in general, we don't want products that are OK, we want the best.
Lol, the last three AAA Sony games I played were Uncharted 4, Spider-Man and Sushi Ghost and beyond the basics I remember gently caress all about them.
Meanwhile I can talk a hole in the head of anyone about titles like Maneater and Terminator Resistance.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I don't know what there is to say about Maneater beyond "you're a shark" and I platinumed that game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lodin posted:

Lol, the last three AAA Sony games I played were Uncharted 4, Spider-Man and Sushi Ghost and beyond the basics I remember gently caress all about them.
Meanwhile I can talk a hole in the head of anyone about titles like Maneater and Terminator Resistance.

Yea but you only need to mention maneater or terminator resistance to put a hole in someone's head

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Workaday Wizard posted:

Looks charming though :kiddo:

i dunno i looked at it and without even seeing it move i thought it would be one of those games where all the characters undulate disturbingly on their joints

after seeing it move it was less bad than i thought but it uses that other butt-ugly automated stretching and shrinking poo poo that so many games do god do people just not want to draw a second frame of animation these days or what

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Of all of the games someone could use as an example to make a frame or reference for a game you could talk about all day, maneaters gotta be the weirdest one I have ever heard.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Maneater loks like it could be fun as heck but I'm not going above £10 for it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I would describe Maneater as a Dreamcast game with modern graphics and QoL features.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would describe Maneater as a Dreamcast game with modern graphics and QoL features.

Maneater is a spirtual successor to Jaws Unleashed, which is based off Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future, a Dreamcast game!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Spot on.

I had fun with it until I git bored of it, but I am just super curious about how this goon can "talk a hole in someones head" about a game that equates to pressing a button to watch a shark eat a turtle and forget everything that happened in Uncharted 4. That's sort of interesting.

Also I was really looking forward to grabbing Terminator Resistance in the near future and that post made me lose some faith in it lol.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

tripwood posted:

Yakuza 7's english voice acting, is very, very good. The actors are really into it and they really get Yakuza. I switched to english as a curiosity just before the Sujimon professor and boy did that pay off.

Everyone seemed to think it would be as bad as the English voice acting in Yakuza 1, but dubbing in games has improved significantly since 2006

except Kingdom Hearts, which has somehow gotten worse

Lodin posted:

You could read this as they aren't going to rush out a buggy mess like Fallout 76 or Cyberpunk, but everything else he's said suggests that they're focusing on bland guaranteed hit blockbusters from now on. This kind of attitude would have never let a game like Demon's Souls get released in the first place.

I've got all these super-polished AAAA Sony games through PS+ and I'd rather just play some Japanese PS2 jank any day.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

Also I was really looking forward to grabbing Terminator Resistance in the near future and that post made me lose some faith in it lol.
No, it's good if you like the first two Terminator movies still. At it's core it's just a bog standard FPS with some Fallout mechanics sprinkled on top but it's perfectly competently done. That combined with totally nailing the feel of the movies makes it worth it. Also, they released a free DLC mission that lets you play as a Termie last year.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Maybe this is more yelling into the void, but I'd really like to see an actual sci-fi soulslike and not weirdo science fantasy/Destiny but with a stamina meter type crap. I think a few out there maybe hew closer to something like EYE or Warframe in feel, but I want chunky rear end sci-fi with space and robots and poo poo. The Surge is in the right ballpark, but not close enough. Like if you basically reused the setting of Dead Space or Prey wholesale and then filled those space stations with killer robots that all conspicuously use melee weapons, I'd be happy as a pig in poo poo.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Make a 40k style game like dark souls and ill play it

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Archer666 posted:

More partial to Troubleshooter myself as "The best X-Com game".

Invisible inc

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I don't know if we really need MORE 40k games, there were like 4 released this year alone lmao

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
40K Dark Souls XCOM when

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Play posted:

I don't know if we really need MORE 40k games, there were like 4 released this year alone lmao

All of them are bad though i want a good 40k game

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Goonfleet 2008 was a good Warhammer game

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

JollyBoyJohn posted:

All of them are bad though i want a good 40k game

It's like Games Workshop is afraid of releasing a game that's more fun than their awful tabletop game. Each video game is merely a barely fun advertisement to remind you that the even less fun Warhammer/40k exists.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Darktide looks like it'll be cool. Vermintide was fun for a while.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
XCOM 2

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Executive : "Alright we have to decide between these two games to go forward with. The first one will be handled by an experienced development studio, it's much like the major hit game Dark Souls except you can play as several of the more popular units/factions from the 40k universe. Basically a re-imagining of our somewhat successful Space Marine game but there's more to do and the gameplay is better. Your thoughts, aging CEO?"

CEO : "Sounds expensive, and if there's more to do doesn't that mean they're spending more time playing video games and less time in our stores? And I really don't like the timetable here. Release in how many years? That sounds really expensive. What else do you have?"

Executive 2 : "We could hire a dirt cheap developer to, I dunno, make a chess-like board game? Dorks love chess and poo poo. We could knock it out in a year tops."

CEO : "Brilliant! It's a board game like our hit game, but it's less fun so they'll want to buy more miniatures instead! You've done it again Executive 2 you genius!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I will admit, however, that this thread dislodged my 2+ year love of xcom 2. I think it was that I hadn't played a ton of strategy games like that before (fallout 1 and 2 but that's not the same) and when I finally tried xcom 2 finally, with no experience from any other game in the franchise, I was floored. I had a lot of fun with it!

But the criticism against it from this thread is true and valid

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chess is one of the most popular games in the world. If we were to capture just 1% of Chess's market share we'd be rich!

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I have to respect how quick on the draw you were with that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

With 40k stuff I think it's more that games workshop went from being super selective with the license, back when dawn of War was good and Warhammer games were rare, to just handing the dang thing out to anyone who asked for it with no oversight whatsoever, just give us our cut.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

With 40k stuff I think it's more that games workshop went from being super selective with the license, back when dawn of War was good and Warhammer games were rare, to just handing the dang thing out to anyone who asked for it with no oversight whatsoever, just give us our cut.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Good points, Dawn of War was a decent RTS for the time. I actually still go back to it sometimes out of nostalgia.

Also speaking of Darktide it just got pushed back to sometime in 2022 so hopefully that means they're taking their time with it and making it good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

PinheadSlim posted:

It's like Games Workshop is afraid of releasing a game that's more fun than their awful tabletop game. Each video game is merely a barely fun advertisement to remind you that the even less fun Warhammer/40k exists.

Warhammer 40k loving sucks rear end, I was super interested in it as a kid but never really took the dive because its prohibitively expensive - a friend of mine from high school is still really into it so around the first lockdown I collected a Blood Angels army and painted them up, that part was super fun but gently caress me the games are excruciating. They take hours, the rules are simpler than when I played one battle 10 years ago but still needlessly complicated, the cost of everything is ridiculous - the armies, the terrain, a table and the constant spewing of rule-books that the company generates.

The worst bit are the fans though, it seems if they get you at a young age you'll be hooked for life desperately adding more flavour of space marines into your army in the hope that this time their cool rules and utterly ridiculous narrative that even children shouldn't care about is enough to make it worthwhile. I think we played about a dozen games or so throughout 2020 and 2021 and every single time I was relieved when the games were over because 5 hours is just too much for any leisure activity.

Painting them up was a cool way to pass time when I couldn't leave the house but yeah, gently caress playing 40k and especially gently caress anyone over 14 that plays it because I presume the actual fun of it which is imaging cool poo poo as generated by the dice is long gone by that point and it just becomes a dry mathematical exercise with zero humour or flavour.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i'm pretty sure its about painting little mans while you watch tv shows, the tabletop game is just an illusion

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

i'm pretty sure its about painting little mans while you watch tv shows, the tabletop game is just an illusion

I actually don't mind watching the battles on youtube because they are briskly edited and good background noise for when you are painting models but at the end of the day just roll a dice and whoever gets highest wins and you've saved a night of your life

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Caesar Saladin posted:

I don't even think they're all bad. I like Inquisitor, I liked Necromunda, I liked Age of Sigmar and those are all from this year. I also like a few from previous years.

There's just a lot of them

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I played a demo of 40k and Infinity and holy poo poo is 40k garbage compared to Infinity. Could be the smaller scale of engagement (40ks army vs Infinity squad based gaming), but everything in 40k seemed to take forever and involved a lot more dice rolling than it should have.

But at the end of the day I got a Sisters of Battle army cause Sisters rule.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lodin posted:

No, it's good if you like the first two Terminator movies still. At it's core it's just a bog standard FPS with some Fallout mechanics sprinkled on top but it's perfectly competently done. That combined with totally nailing the feel of the movies makes it worth it. Also, they released a free DLC mission that lets you play as a Termie last year.

Nice. I was joking I still really want to try it but the PS5 version is still $50. When it hits 30 or under I'm all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I've been a fan of 40K since forever but I've never bought a little toyman or painted any toymen. I'm in it for the ridiculous lore, art/fanart and the occasional videogame