Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Arivia posted:

Sadly the Experience is long-gone :rip:

I know. I went there when I was 13 and found it the most fun a 13 year old could have in vegas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

bunnyofdoom posted:

I would want to try the Klingon Restaurant and some.of Quark's cocktails

The Klingon restaurant also had Audrey II to serenade you

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm one episode into Catch and Kill on HBO and hoo boy. It's Ronan Farrow interviewing his sources on Weinstein. It resonates differently hearing and seeing people recount things in their own voice.

deoju has a new favorite as of 03:02 on Jul 15, 2021

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Are you saying the book has aged poorly in light of the interview show thing?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

EDIT: poo poo. I got this confused with the sexual assault in Hollywood thread. My bad.

No, sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that. It's not that I didn't believe it before, and I do know. I only meant that there's something about hearing the actual tapes, and seeing and hearing him interview the subject that gave me a fuller understanding.

I don't know quite how to put it... It's like it went from making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, to sending a shiver down my spine. The same feeling, just to a greater degree.

deoju has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Jul 15, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

muscles like this! posted:

I assume the titular "Hot Dog ... " is supposed to be a person who performs stunts, which used to be referred to as hot dogging.

How much things have changed. Now hot dogging is having sex in a park in front of a bunch of perverts during summer.

EDIT: Well, this post just aged poorly. Should have probably finished reading the thread before making my public sex joke.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Jul 15, 2021

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

deoju posted:

EDIT: poo poo. I got this confused with the sexual assault in Hollywood thread. My bad.

No, sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that. It's not that I didn't believe it before, and I do know. I only meant that there's something about hearing the actual tapes, and seeing and hearing him interview the subject that gave me a fuller understanding.

I don't know quite how to put it... It's like it went from making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, to sending a shiver down my spine. The same feeling, just to a greater degree.

Thanks for the clarification.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Just realized something that hasn't aged well (never really was well at all, but I digress), though it seems to also be long dead: the word "wigger."

Pretty sure it got coined around the same time that Eminem started getting big, and for awhile you were always seeing examples of it.

Hell, I forgot all about them until a few minutes ago watching an old South Park rerun and realized I couldn't remember the last time they were a thing.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Megillah Gorilla posted:

How much things have changed. Now hot dogging is having sex in a park in front of a bunch of perverts during summer.
That's just "dogging"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"During summer"

When it's hot.

Goddamn, son.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

as someone who's not seen any star trek, is ds9 worth watching and also a good starting point?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

as someone who's not seen any star trek, is ds9 worth watching and also a good starting point?

Yeah. The pilot has some TNG stuff and Sisko's backstory ties into a major event from that show but you should still be fine.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I could actually see the argument that DS9 or Voyager might be anong the best starting points for Trek. They aren't as good as the best of TNG, but they're really solid, modern enough to not suffer from any 80s TV sci-fi datedness in presentation or storytelling, and don't have a 'don't watch season 1' problem with where to start.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I could actually see the argument that DS9 or Voyager might be anong the best starting points for Trek. They aren't as good as the best of TNG, but they're really solid, modern enough to not suffer from any 80s TV sci-fi datedness in presentation or storytelling, and don't have a 'don't watch season 1' problem with where to start.

Voyager was my entry point as a kid, but I haven't seen it since then. Considering the history behind it and Ronald Moore's frustrations writing it, I think the way it aged is highly dependant on if a viewer has seen Battlestar Galactica. Since, you know, that show takes the same major conceit of a hopeless journey but specifically does all the things Moore wasn't allowed to do on Voyager.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Cleretic posted:

and don't have a 'don't watch season 1' problem with where to start.

This is mostly true but new viewers should probably be warned there are a couple parts in season 1 that are just bizarrely bad (and the loving wormhole scene in the pilot that feels like it's an hour long)

On the other hand if you can rope some friends in to watching with you, Move Along Home and the episode where Bashir is temporarily evil are loving hilariously awful, and The Nagus is complete loving nonsense in a pretty funny way.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Move Along Home is fine. It actually speaks to how great DS9 as a whole is because if it were a TNG or Voyager episode it would be unremarkable, lost in the white noise of other generic episodes.
Even actually bad episodes like Storyteller usually have good character moments in them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Move Along Home is good because it showcases how the non-starfleet characters are annoyed at weird space poo poo and roll their eyes at it while all the starfleet characters are really into solving all the puzzles and figuring it out because that’s 70% of their jobs and what they’re trained for. It’s like a mission statement for the series and the kinds of questions it’s interested in, throwing its characters into a typical Star Trek episode and noting how they respond differently.

I AM GRANDO has a new favorite as of 13:56 on Jul 15, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

the_steve posted:

Just realized something that hasn't aged well (never really was well at all, but I digress), though it seems to also be long dead: the word "wigger."

Pretty sure it got coined around the same time that Eminem started getting big, and for awhile you were always seeing examples of it.

Hell, I forgot all about them until a few minutes ago watching an old South Park rerun and realized I couldn't remember the last time they were a thing.

Goes back to early 90s when skateboarding and urban aesthetics starting merging. Had to find some way to deride the white kids with baggy pants and dreadlocks/cornrows.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Voyager was my entry point as a kid, but I haven't seen it since then. Considering the history behind it and Ronald Moore's frustrations writing it, I think the way it aged is highly dependant on if a viewer has seen Battlestar Galactica. Since, you know, that show takes the same major conceit of a hopeless journey but specifically does all the things Moore wasn't allowed to do on Voyager.

I like Voyager, probably because it was the Trek I actually watched at the time. Problem is, you have some pretty good characters but in a crap show.

The high points are usually when it gets super weird (like Deadlock, where Harry Kim dies, but is replaced by alternate universe Harry Kim - never mentioned again) or where someone gets to chew some scenery (Bride of Chaotica - Satan's robot is easily a top tier Voyager character).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The thing with TOS and TNG are that they were syndicated to hell so if you watched them pre-Netflix, chances are you caught random episodes and just sorta learned to like it from there. TNG has callbacks to previous episodes and some followups, but for the most part each episode is self contained. Netflix and Paramount+ should add a random button to those Star Trek shows. Any of them work well as entry points. (Though season 1 of TNG has some dire episodes, growing pains.)

DS9 also works as an entry point, but you gotta watch it from the start. It resembles a lot of modern tv storytelling. It benefitted the most from being put on Netflix, gaining a new audience that was able to appreciate it more than it could have been back in the day.
My favorite Trek show, easily.

Voyager is ok.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Rick Berman was vehemently against continuing story lines and could not fathom why anyone would want them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
DS9 is not the ideal starting point, but it's good enough. As long as you kind of know what Star Trek is, you'll probably be able to appreciate the ways they are deliberately playing against type and challenging the status quo.

And more on-topic, the show does have a handful of moments that don't age well, but on the whole it's actually aged great. A lot of the political stuff feels like it could've been written yesterday.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

One of the single best aged eps of Star Trek:TOS IMHO is “A Taste of Armageddon”: Kirk and the crew stumble upon a planet that has been at war with a neighbor for centuries where to preserve their culture and infrastructure, they agreed to simply fight the war via computer simulated attacks and everyone living in the real world area who gets “hit” with a simulated attack voluntarily marches off to a suicide chamber. Kirk is utterly disgusted at this from minute one and when the Enterprise turns out to be hit by an attack, they escape the guards trying to force them into the chambers and Kirk destroys the simulation computers, calling out the aliens on how they made war so “clean and painless” they had no incentive to stop it and that now they must either have a “proper, dirty” war and keep fighting or make peace.

Originally this ep was inspired by the Vietnam War and how it was the first conflict to be followed by American TV networks with daily casualty updates and the ongoing discussions about possible nuclear warfare making people more distant from horrible death but now it’s pretty much impossible to not compare to either drone warfare (with the same “distance” concerns) or even current social unrest where it seems that capital/Boomers are far more concerned about material/property damage than human lives.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Jul 15, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Super Waffle posted:

Rick Berman was vehemently against continuing story lines and could not fathom why anyone would want them.

He's the one who wouldn't let Garak be gay either. gently caress that guy.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HopperUK posted:

He's the one who wouldn't let Garak be gay either. gently caress that guy.

I assure you. Garak was incredibly gay.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

AceOfFlames posted:

One of the single best aged eps of Star Trek:TOS IMHO is “A Taste of Armageddon”... Kirk is utterly disgusted at this from minute one and when the Enterprise turns out to be hit by an attack, they escape the guards trying to force them into the chambers and Kirk destroys the simulation computers, calling out the aliens on how they made war so “clean and painless” they had no incentive to stop it and that now they must either have a “proper, dirty” war and keep fighting or make peace.

i know people these days tend to call out the caricature of the halting, almost staccato way kirk. delivers. his monologues. that jokesters do in parodies as not being a real thing in TOS but, iirc, this was one of the episodes where kirk's monologue, re: the stupidity of simulated war, really does sound a lot like it does in the parodies

it lent a strange edge to such a poignant and relevant commentary

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Eh? They play it up a bit, but the Kirk cadence is very, very real.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shatner is not as much of a ham as received knowledge would suggest, but the standard for acting in that era was fairly hammy. I think he’s pretty good as Captain Kirk and fits alongside his main costars.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

IIRC didn't the Shatner delivery come at least partially from his stage actor training of the time?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Toshimo posted:

I assure you. Garak was incredibly gay.

Explicitly tho, like they wanted to have them as a couple by the end of season 2 if i remember right and have them have a whole new dynamic the whole rest of the show.

Star Trek's First Gay Ship-Mates? The Star-Crossed Romance of Garak & Bashir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5_g1DY1FLg

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

IIRC didn't the Shatner delivery come at least partially from his stage actor training of the time?

That iambic pentameter gets ingrained deep.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

hard counter posted:

i know people these days tend to call out the caricature of the halting, almost staccato way kirk. delivers. his monologues. that jokesters do in parodies as not being a real thing in TOS but, iirc, this was one of the episodes where kirk's monologue, re: the stupidity of simulated war, really does sound a lot like it does in the parodies

it lent a strange edge to such a poignant and relevant commentary

Yeah, I think the halting delivery kind of worked with his speech there.

“We can admit that we're killers, but we're not going to kill today. That's all it takes, knowing that we're not going to kill…TODAY."

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Shatner is not as much of a ham as received knowledge would suggest, but the standard for acting in that era was fairly hammy. I think he’s pretty good as Captain Kirk and fits alongside his main costars.

One of my favorite anecdotes about TOS is how one particular guest star, William Windom, the show so much he decided to ham it up and act as “cartoonish” as much as he could. However, the episode in question was “The Doomsday Machine” and his character, Captain Matt Decker, had just witnessed his entire crew dying at the hands of the titular giant planet destroying machine and was traumatized into essentially becoming a deranged Captain Ahab in space. So said hammy performance was exactly what the ep needed and it ended up being one of his more memorable roles.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Jul 15, 2021

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Voyager is very rarely thought-provoking, but it's good fun. Some gizmo is turning everyone into sleepwalkers, gotta blow it up.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Volcott posted:

Voyager is very rarely thought-provoking, but it's good fun. Some gizmo is turning everyone into sleepwalkers, gotta blow it up.

Also, The Rock shows up to do the People's Eyebrow, and 2 of the bridge crew turn into actual salamanders and gently caress.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The Thaw is one of Voyagers best early episodes and yet its the one that could fit in just about any other trek show which says a lot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yes, he got his start as an actor at Canada's Stratford Theatre Company, which does a lot of Shakespearean plays. Stratford is pretty much the #1 theatre company in Canada, so much so that Shatner moved cross-country to study there before he went south to Hollywood. Most Canadian actors in Hollywood with classical theatre ties come from or have done appearances at the Stratford, for example Christopher Plummer.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
God, of all the times to not have a looping gif of Plummer as General Chang in star trek 6 spinning in his bridge chair

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Arivia posted:

Yes, he got his start as an actor at Canada's Stratford Theatre Company, which does a lot of Shakespearean plays. Stratford is pretty much the #1 theatre company in Canada, so much so that Shatner moved cross-country to study there before he went south to Hollywood. Most Canadian actors in Hollywood with classical theatre ties come from or have done appearances at the Stratford, for example Christopher Plummer.

I saw Plummer do The Tempest at Stratford a bunch of years back and he was someone who aged very well.

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008
Saw Harvey Weinstein getting mentioned

https://twitter.com/chandIermonica/status/1241498674468978693

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

quote:

“There was an episode, one of my favorite moments in Star Trek, when Captain Kirk looks over the cosmos and says, ‘Somewhere out there someone is saying the three most beautiful words in any language.’ Of course your heart sinks and you think it’s going to be, ‘I love you’ or whatever. He says, ‘Please help me.’ What a philosophically fantastic idea, that vulnerability and need is a beautiful thing.”

Watch TOS. There's a reason why people are still making Trek 50 years later, and it's because TOS was good.