Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I highly recommend catching Philly DA: Breaking the Law on iPlayer. It's an 8 episode documentary series, shown under the Storyville brand. It follows the election of a progressive as the Philadelphia District Attorney. It's full of brilliantly covered human interest stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Sentinel Red posted:

John Selwyn-Gummer.

This reminded me that for years I thought Peregrine Worsthorne's appearance on Brass Eye was a fake name gag

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wouldn't have thought that this was a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZdX40OUYC0

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Clarkson’s Farm is amazing. What I wouldn’t give to own an English countryside farm like that.

Provided I was already a multimillionaire and amazon was paying for everything so I could have fun like him and not worry about how I’m going to make a living when I gently caress up the tram lines.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone else hate the poo poo that Netflix started without seeing 3 seconds of credits then you're into the next episode?

As an example I'm watching Time right now and poo poo, I need a minute to decompress and think about what happened, I don't want to instantly go into the "previously" poo poo because it just happened! Let me think about how poo poo society is for a minute. Jesus!

I could thankfully turn it off with Netflix because they had the presence of mind to know not everyone wants that but literally every copycat, including Amazon and iPlayer, just acts like yeah of course you want to consume all the content ASAP, num num num

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's fun on apps when you want to see the end credits to see who played a role, but the credits are reduced to tiny size as it instantly starts trying to make you watch something else and the only way to view the credits full size is to press the perfect button combination to select the "view credits" option but you only have like 2 seconds and no dummy you can't just rewind back 2 seconds because it'll send you back to the end of the show and when the credits start again it'll just shrink them again and no idiot you can't press play/pause because that button will now make the next show play which is the precise opposite of what you want and you don't actually know what you want, we know you better than you know yourself, you must trust in the Algorithm fleshling we know what's best for you

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I find the fact that Netflix auto plays ads for the show you've left the cursor on so stressful that I often just don't bother.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a reason I get my own hard copies wherever I can. Ash vs. Evil Dead is on Netflix and I really want to see it but one of the main reasons I keep putting it off is exactly this autoplay nonsense.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
A settings option that takes maybe less than 30 seconds to fix, lads, come on.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Unless you're saying you never got Netflix then sure, but if you are paying for it then definitely don't let this stuff stop you from watching a good show (and that's coming from someone who just meltdownposted)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Total Meatlove posted:

Oh poo poo, just changed this. Do the apps on mobile and tvs respect this setting?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

marktheando posted:

Oh poo poo, just changed this. Do the apps on mobile and tvs respect this setting?

Just change it through a browser, I think. Might take a day or so to carry across to other devices.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
previously, on Battlestar Galactica :catstare:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

Oh poo poo I swear this wasn't there when I looked the last time, or didn't carry over to the console app or whatever. Thanks for prompting me to look into it.

e: I don't want to appear ungrateful but wish it worked for movie credits, not just shows

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 5, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Was Nicholas Lyndhurst’s Goodnight Sweetheart an isekai, y/n

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Comrade Fakename posted:

No, he wasn’t trapped in the past.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yes, same as Life on Mars and almost every episode of Doctor Who.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Total Meatlove posted:

Where is this option on the iPlayer am I just missing it

And I'm not a lad but that's okay

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Akuma posted:

Where is this option on the iPlayer am I just missing it

And I'm not a lad but that's okay

Here apparently

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/features/autoplay

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Comrade Fakename posted:

This just made me think of Richard Herring's Goodnight "Goodnight Sweetheart" Sweetheart idea. Where he gets magically transported back to 1993 to the set of Goodnight Sweetheart.

Richard Herring posted:

But I’d love to see a sitcom that properly explored the moral conundrums of what would happen if a TV repairman found a portal that takes him back to war-time London. Or one about me finding a passage from the present to the Goodnight Sweetheart studios and tricking Lyndhurst into thinking I wrote the hits of One Direction and invented the iPod.

https://metro.co.uk/2013/04/05/richard-herring-2-3583542/amp/

Bogmonster fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 5, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Bogmonster posted:

This just made me think of Richard Herring's Goodnight "Goodnight Sweetheart" Sweetheart idea. Where he gets magically transported back to 1993 to the set of Goodnight Sweetheart.

https://metro.co.uk/2013/04/05/richard-herring-2-3583542/amp/

They had a revival episode a few years ago where Nicholas Lindhurst, who at the end of the original series was trapped in the past, has now progressed to the early 60s and decides to go and attend his own birth. On contact with his own baby self the portal is reopened and he is taken back to the present, where his future-wife hates him because she found out he was a time bigamist. Also he fathered a daughter with her just before he abandoned her.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

TMNZ season 2 has started. Reactions seem to be good but I'm not reading to many until I've watched.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Zurtles

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Close. Zealanders.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think there's been a new injection of material into Disney+ just now, I think from rights referring from Fox's previous deals and whatnot, they own a terrifying amount. Anyway, I just saw National Treasure is on there, the Robbie Coltrane miniseries from a few years back (I think the Nic Cage films are on there too as it goes)

So how has that ended up there, it's a Channel 4 production?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Its a weird one for sure.

I did wonder why Burn Notice, a show on the USA network, was on there. But apparently it was Fox produced, so explains that.

But I cannot find any connection between this show and either Fox or Disney.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Disney owns Fox and Hulu.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tsietisin posted:

Its a weird one for sure.

I did wonder why Burn Notice, a show on the USA network, was on there. But apparently it was Fox produced, so explains that.

But I cannot find any connection between this show and either Fox or Disney.
All3Media distributed it, who are half owned by Liberty Global, which owns a shitload of stuff including Virgin Media and has some deal in the UK and Ireland with Disney for Disney+. That's the only connection I can make.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think there's been a new injection of material into Disney+ just now, I think from rights referring from Fox's previous deals and whatnot, they own a terrifying amount. Anyway, I just saw National Treasure is on there, the Robbie Coltrane miniseries from a few years back (I think the Nic Cage films are on there too as it goes)

So how has that ended up there, it's a Channel 4 production?

The_Doctor posted:

Disney owns Fox and Hulu.

On Hulu, it's listed as a "Hulu Original" or whatever they call it. There are a few others like that that I've seen on there. Moon Boy was another. Might be co-productions or maybe they just bought the US rights. Netflix do this, too. The Good Place was listed as a Netflix show here, I think.

Strange that it's on Disney here, but it still seems to be on the Channel 4 catchup.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mickolution posted:

Strange that it's on Disney here, but it still seems to be on the Channel 4 catchup.
They do just roll some Hulu stuff into Disney+ in non-US territories, but in the US you have to pay for both which is probably pretty annoying for people over there.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Akuma posted:

They do just roll some Hulu stuff into Disney+ in non-US territories, but in the US you have to pay for both which is probably pretty annoying for people over there.

The number of streaming services over there is ridiculous. I know you can bundle a few of them together, but having the ones you might want would surely cost more than a cable sub.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

National Treasure is on a whole bunch of streaming services over here too:
https://www.justwatch.com/uk/tv-series/national-treasure

Disney+, 4oD, Sky, BritBox, Virgin Go, plus buyable from Amazon, Apple and Google.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Pablo Bluth posted:

Close. Zealanders.

The rare quadruple redundancy.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Nobody asked, but here's my thoughts about Taskmaster series 12 line up ahead of it being shown.

Guz Khan has been great in everything I've seen in him, so looking forward to his manic energy.

Victoria Coren Mitchell will either be naturally brilliant or absolutely awful at tasks.

I've only heard Desiree Burch on podcasts and the like, but she seems quite funny. Is she the first American as a contestant?

Don't really know anything about Morgana Robinson.

I've always thought Alan Davies was a bit of a oval office, but he may turn out to be alright. Hopefully he will do it all in character as Jonathan Creek.

What are your thoughts?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Bogmonster posted:

What are your thoughts?
That I think there's a taskmaster thread now which is why this one sees much less traffic

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alan has enormous Taskmaster energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVy3XlYiKuQ

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they are apparently filming a series of The Apprentice for showing later in the year and i'm curious to see how much worse it can be compared to pre-covid world

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was always used to watching the US version of The Apprentice so the extra 20 minutes or so of the BBC version always made that show feel like a complete slog.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Why do people on Dragons' Den always talk to themselves in the lift? Like are they put up to it or do people really do that :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Wait, since when has there been a lift? In my day they had to trudge up some stairs.