Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Hedges and kids.

I know quite a few on here have got young kids so you might have opinions!
I've had young kids, but it was a while ago. Is it just a gut feeling this is the reason it's not selling, or has anyone actually said anything? It seems a bit of a stretch to me if it's not the second. If there are more obvious things that can be improved I'd look at those first, and if there's not, then dropping the price a bit or just waiting might be a better strategy.

e: The Rosetta Stone was carved in 196 BCE, and stolen by the British in 1801.

Albinator fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Albinator posted:

I've had young kids, but it was a while ago. Is it just a gut feeling this is the reason it's not selling, or has anyone actually said anything? It seems a bit of a stretch to me if it's not the second. If there are more obvious things that can be improved I'd look at those first, and if there's not, then dropping the price a bit or just waiting might be a better strategy.

The two things that have been mentioned are
(1) the kitchen (it seems too small - it's quite large actually - so we've taken out a quite large table and put in a smaller one and taken out the large fridge freezer and put in a smaller one, and (2) the road.

But that said, it's just not getting that many viewings, which given the property market was supposed to be boiling hot for the past 4-5 months, doesn't seem to round mum's way (or round my way, 2 flats in my block on the market here for several months with barely a peep, my boss's parents in a 16th century country home - not a sausage).

These are all in the apparently desirable 'rural but with good connections' areas.

Just wondering if this 'hot property market' is a manufactured media thing and doesn't really exist except in a few locations such as Cornwall.

At least now the place she had put an offer on has dropped out of the equation she can be more flexible with price (which she has dropped quite a bit since the estate agents put it on the market at an extremely optimistic price). Until then she had to achieve at least purchase price of the other place + stamp duty, estate agents fees, moving costs etc. (No mortgages for 83 year olds!)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

most appropriate hedge-stuff (or even 'definitely not' hedge stuff).

Oh hey I do hedgerows.

Main question is how tall you want it to grow maximum, and then whether you want it evergreen, semi, or not

But unless you are planting already established bushes (expensive) then it's going to be a few years before there's a proper hedge. Something really simple like hawthorn with a bit of dogrose tangled in is very cheap, especially in bulk, great for wildlife and won't require much maintenance.

buckingham nurseries is my provider of plants -they have a good selection but more importantly they will talk your arm off about what's suitable for what soil/sun/kids/farm animals or not.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I was a kid we had yew trees and all sorts of poisonous plants around the place and just told not to eat the berries or flycap toadstools or whatever.
But times have moved on kids today molycoddled :bahgawd:

The british countryside has a surprising amount of murder/mayhem plants and don't eat things/touch leaves/smear the sap on you is just as relevant a lesson for kids as it was then

Might as well spam a bunch of pictures from the farm while I'm here I suppose

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 15, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Chinchillazllla/status/1415419617502187521

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

Is it one of those walls you can put a small wooden fence on top of perhaps? Like some old stone walls originally had iron railings between stone pillars and then a stone wall below that, and then at some point they take the iron out and leave a weird looking wall.

I have An Fact

They were ripped out in WW2 because they did a big metal collection to build spitfires thing. Scouts would come round with trollies and collect pots and pans and everyone was in it together.

Only it was pointless because you can’t recycle railings or someone’s tin bath to make a airplane so the majority of it got sent to scrapyard and the whole silly scheme is seen now as a universal failure thought up by a posh idiot.

(< care worker, pissed off a anti-vaxer, wear a mask)

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just wondering if this 'hot property market' is a manufactured media thing and doesn't really exist except in a few locations such as Cornwall.

The property market has really been insane pretty much nationwide for the past few months. People were making offers on properties without even viewing them.

So the main issues that you are going to have are location, price and how will maintained the property is.

Is it a place where there are jobs and people can commute? Is there a driveway/garage or good public transport on the road?

How does the inside look? It's it looking fresh and clean, or like there is going to be work needed for any new occupant?

Finally, and this is always the key, are they simply asking to much for the property? Any property will sell if the price is right. Estate agents love to overestimate how much a property is worth by about 5-10%. It's just that over the past 6 months, they've actually managed to do that, probably down to stamp duty holiday.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

I have An Fact

They were ripped out in WW2 because they did a big metal collection to build spitfires thing. Scouts would come round with trollies and collect pots and pans and everyone was in it together.

Only it was pointless because you can’t recycle railings or someone’s tin bath to make a airplane so the majority of it got sent to scrapyard and the whole silly scheme is seen now as a universal failure thought up by a posh idiot.

(< care worker, pissed off a anti-vaxer, wear a mask)

It all got a bit out of hand because Lord Beaverbrook discovered that some people had aluminium cookware and cutlery (there was a fashion for it in the 30s) and as there was a genuine massive shortage of aluminium for aircraft production they started trying to collect it, but everyone was so gung-ho to be able to do *something* that everyone threw in their stuff from stainless steel to sterling silver. They could have stopped it at any point but after Dunkirk it was raising everybody's morale, so they just rolled with it.

It wasn't a *complete* failure - the vast majority was ferrous metals so very easily recycled into war materiel even if a bunch of armour plate isn't as glamourous as a new Spitfire, and the glut of scrap iron let them redeploy iron miners into the coal mines which in turn relieved some pressure on the Atlantic convoys - but yeah probably not one actual plane got built for all the mania.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Red Oktober posted:

Not just the bones, but the cushion made out of skin with, I think the belly button for a button? I can't quite remember that detail. Regarding the two 'halves' of the book being different, I believe Banks' original plan was to have the split happen exactly half way through the book, with the page numbers and even the layout of paragraphs exactly reflect each other, but it proved far too difficult.

See now I'm going to have to read it again because I don't remember the "split" part even if I do remember the twist at the end.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Looks like he misread and thought the phrase was "make an enema for life"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't puking up your own poo poo one of the end stage symptoms of hardcore opiate abuse

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

See now I'm going to have to read it again because I don't remember the "split" part even if I do remember the twist at the end.

This was before he decided to intersperse the chapters (if you remember half go forward and are numbered 1,2,3 and the other half go backwards X,IX,VIII etc). Another part of the problem is it gave the climax/twist in the middle of the book, of course.

So you would have all of the Diziet chapters, then the climax/twist, then the Zakalwe chapters in reverse.

There’s an interview archived here.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 15, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't puking up your own poo poo one of the end stage symptoms of hardcore opiate abuse

I don't know, but fascism definitely is.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We're wondering if one of the reason's mum's house won't sell is

Ask the agent to contact the people who viewed it and get some feedback. It’s in the agent’s interest to sell so they should be fine with doing it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

god the internet is really loving weird sometimes isn't it. like really loving weird. i love it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

god the internet is really loving weird sometimes isn't it. like really loving weird. i love it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've no kids, but buying a house in the last couple years I can say I wouldn't have cared at all about a lack of hedge, and actually would probably be slightly baffled if they has just installed a brand new hedge that needed a few years to mature, because I'd probably want to take it out and start over with something else.

I'd be more interested to see how much work needed doing in terms of double/triple-glazing, new boiler, gun-barrel pipework, wiring, old wallpaper/chipboard vs new paint/plaster, and maybe knocking walls to interconnect rooms

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/1414923610595241984

Just the Guardian political editor going all "GIRLBOSS!!! :swoon::swoon::swoon:" over Theresa May doing "But what about the spending?" like it's 2010.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
It's the price I would say. It's a kind of equation : how much do I care about the downsides versus how much can I get it for. If someone absolutely hates a busy road in front of the house - why are they looking at yours/ no price is a good price. If they see it as something they can live with in exchange for (insert good schools, character features etc) then there is a price that offsets the good and the bad.

If no-one is making even vague sounding "ooh, I'm interested" then the price is probably too high.

(Not always but it's likely)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've no kids, but buying a house in the last couple years I can say I wouldn't have cared at all about a lack of hedge, and actually would probably be slightly baffled if they has just installed a brand new hedge that needed a few years to mature, because I'd probably want to take it out and start over with something else.

I'd be more interested to see how much work needed doing in terms of double/triple-glazing, new boiler, gun-barrel pipework, wiring, old wallpaper/chipboard vs new paint/plaster, and maybe knocking walls to interconnect rooms
Seconding this, definitely when I was looking at houses to buy I was thinking things like "I'll put a hedge in there" anyway, apart from the basic maintenance things that FI points out I think the only decoration-type considerations that I was thinking about were "can I put up with [low priority job] for as long as it takes to do [high priority job]" (& from what I understand you're not gonna make a profit on those kind of jobs unless you go all homes-under-the-hammer on it, people like to do their own decorations).

If you're not getting a lot of viewings, my guess would be that it's nothing specific to the house: personally all I was looking at to just give a place a viewing was price range, location & not totally looking like poo poo, so my guess would be either it's overvalued or the estate agent has done a shite job of marketing it. I'd say that if you're happy that the pictures &c on the listing paint the place in a good light, talk to the agent about what they think is up, and think about the minimum you'd accept & if you'd be happy to knock some off the price (bearing in mind that chancers are gonna chance whatever the list price is, so getting more people in the door might be as simple as knocking 5k off the asking price & telling people who offer 5k less than that to do one, rather than keeping it the same & telling people who offer 10k less the same).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
a lot of people are really dumb and are put off a house by e.g. it having woodchip on the walls. admittedly the removal of woodchip could very well be used as a form of torture but like it's a few days of graft and heavy swearing and bloodied fingernails set against however long you're going to be living in a house, although i'd hazard a guess that the kind of people put off by woodchip are unlikely to remove it themselves

crispix fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 15, 2021

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Zakalwe also turns up in Surface Detail, which was also a fantastic (and extremely dark) book.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

crispix posted:

a lot of people are really dumb and are put off a house by e.g. it having woodchip on the walls. admittedly the removal of woodchip could very well be used as a form of torture but like it's a few days of graft and heavy swearing and bloodied fingernails set against however long you're going to be living in a house, although i'd hazard a guess that the kind of people put off by woodchip are unlikely to remove it themselves

I think this sort of thing goes two ways: people are either put off because they've done the work before and go "never again" or they are basically gonna pay someone else to do it all and don't care, with the difference mainly being what kind of property it is and how likely it is to get a buyer who wants to/can afford to just pay to do it.

Or you get someone that sees through it and is gonna do the work themselves because they think "how hard can it be?".

Or of course someone that unaccountably still likes woodchip.

Communist Bear posted:

Zakalwe also turns up in Surface Detail, which was also a fantastic (and extremely dark) book.

I think that was the one where I was a bit "woah ok this is like some online gore fanfic here". I never re-read the last few actually, I probably should.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

e.g. it having woodchip on the walls
I've got Disco 2000 in my head now :hotpickle:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

There’s a lot of ‘features’ in our place that we’ve been blaming on the previous owners, until I discovered that Zoopla has a ‘historical photos’ section from previous sales, and it turns out that most of the really questionable stuff has been in place for at least three previous sets of owners who have all been too lazy to fix them

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

It doesn't need anything like that doing. New boiler last year, etc., mum's had tons of repairs, renewals and so on done. It is an old stone cottage with a modern (well 20 years old) extension, so 'knocking through' isn't an option (which is what put one viewer off, they thought they could knock out the wall between the kitchen and dining room - not with 2ft thick stone walls anyway).

I think she'll have to drop the price considerably - and now she's not tied into the offer on the other place, it won't matter so much if she can find somewhere cheaper to move to in town. But she'll have to sell first and try and rent temporarily.
Like I said, no mortgages for over 80s (or over 60s for that matter or even as I found out over 55s!), so she'll have to have the money in the bank to be a cash buyer.
I also think the estate agents are shite but that's another matter.
Mum needs 'the personal touch' none of this new-fangled internet stuff, and this particular agent also does almost all the similar properties in the locality.

Thanks for all your input folks!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 15, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the only things i would give a toss about are location (as isolated as possible), size (building small, grounds big) and structural integrity. i wouldn't care if it was wallpapered with woodchip with a layer of every page 3 that's ever been printed pasted on top. i do encounter some lonely old men in rural parts here who i reckon look the sort who would do just that tbh - what with the questionable moustaches and furtive demeanours - and in that case i would most probably get the walls stripped before i showed my mum and aunties inside

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Antarctica currently green 'in danger of moving to amber' - say what?
I can only imagine that is because of whatever country you transit through to get to/from.

Didnt one of the US bases catch a few cases? Given that if you're in Antarctica you're going to be on one of the bases not in just like the wilderness in a tent, one can see the concern.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

crispix posted:

the only things i would give a toss about are location (as isolated as possible), size (building small, grounds big) and structural integrity. i wouldn't care if it was wallpapered with woodchip with a layer of every page 3 that's ever been printed pasted on top. i do encounter some lonely old men in rural parts here who i reckon look the sort who would do just that tbh - what with the questionable moustaches and furtive demeanours - and in that case i would most probably get the walls stripped before i showed my mum and aunties inside
Once went to a pub in Torquay that had the men's room decked out like this

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

a layer of every page 3 that's ever been printed pasted on top
Some of those would get you in bad trouble now what with them being 16, so you'd at least want a layer of good primer over them.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Borrovan posted:

Once went to a pub in Torquay that had the men's room decked out like this

See also the Victoria in Swindon. Decent gig venue though.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I've definitely been in a few pub's mens' rooms decorated like that in the past. I presume they've all been redecorated by now!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

How it started:

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1160191888185540609?s=20

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I went 5days without a crap when I was deep in the habit, so it's not unimaginable.
3 days of that I didn't eat as I felt so bad though.

Good times

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

This man is a KGB sleeper cell designed to give bad health advice to people with Spanish first names and German last names.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jairdon Pooperson

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Has anyone else had their surgery call them and ask if they have their "biometric residency permit" to hand? Apparently this is something NHS England is doing now, and it has the stink of Home Office all over it.

My wife got such a call. She's got a British passport though after coming here from Hong Kong 30 years ago. So she told them that and they said "OK!" and hung up :crossarms:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Jairdon Pooperson

One rule for life

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Anyone know if walk-in vaccination clinics are area specific? Just discovered my GP surgery has stopped doing vaccinations and my only other option is a centre out in the sticks that is a huge pain in the arse to get to without a car. It's literally easier for me to get the train to Plymouth and back, and they have a walk-in clinic this Saturday.

Are they going to turn me away?

EDIT I'm really miffed that there aren't clinics in town (Exeter, in this case) at all. I guess the thinking is "only people who don't drive can't get to the out of town centre, and only old people don't drive, and they're all already jabbed, so whatever" but that still means people like me fall through the cracks. And also I'd have thought they'd want to make it easy as possible for teenagers to get jabbed, and not just rely on one day walk-in clinics like they seem to be now. Although I guess it makes sense in that who in this country gives a solitary gently caress about young people anyway

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 15, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Anyone know if walk-in vaccination clinics are area specific? Just discovered my GP surgery has stopped doing vaccinations and my only other option is a centre out in the sticks that is a huge pain in the arse to get to without a car. It's literally easier for me to get the train to Plymouth and back, and they have a walk-in clinic this Saturday.

Are they going to turn me away?

EDIT I'm really miffed that there aren't clinics in town (Exeter, in this case) at all. I guess the thinking is "only people who don't drive can't get to the out of town centre, and only old people don't drive, and they're all already jabbed, so whatever" but that still means people like me fall through the cracks. And also I'd have thought they'd want to make it easy as possible for teenagers to get jabbed, and not just rely on one day walk-in clinics like they seem to be now. Although I guess it makes sense in that who in this country gives a solitary gently caress about young people anyway

Are they not doing any walk ins this weekend? I know they've done it last wekend in the center (they had a mobile vaccination centre at the Quay , although I agree expecting everyone to hoof it out to Greendale to get a jab is redicous even with the extra buses, I don't drive either.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Are they not doing any walk ins this weekend? I know they've done it last wekend in the center, although I agree expecting everyone to hoof it out to greendale to get a jab is redicious even with the extra buses.

Narp, not that I'm aware of anyway. I wasn't in town for last weekend. I would've made the effort if I'd known, but only found out after the fact :(

Another Exeter goon?! PM me if you ever wanna hang out (safely and outside, of course). We have a small contingent going already!

E - I mean I'm sure they'll hold another walk-in in a month or whatever, but I'm not willing to wait that long at this point, not with Freedom Day incoming. I've booked a Greendale one for the 26th just in case, but I'm going for absolute ASAP at this point

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 15, 2021