Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

My retired mother does it because she’s bored and opinionated. Luckily she sides more liberal these days cause I guarantee most in her position aren’t.

I’ve done a few studies via email. It’s much better cause you can take your time and fill it out in detail. Nobody younger than 50 answers the phone for randos anymore, let alone surveys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

2 local promoters in Winnipeg have show announcements.

Nature is healing.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm not gonna get to race bikes this fall am I? :sigh:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Guy I worked with in Afg had a thing or two to say about how much fun it is to be living in Kabul right now

This'd be a great time to pick up the fuckin pace, spaceman

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It seems real clear there's going to be a Fall of Saigon style exodus within a week or two, it'd probably be better to start collaborator evacs now (we won't do evacs and will absolutely leave them to die).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

All our 'terps are gonna loving die.
Anyone who helped us is gonna loving die.
It's a loving disgrace.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

We won't know doing nothing is not enough until it's too late to take it back.

To tie the past couple topics together, I would take an Afhgan refugee sight unseen over UCP-type bottom feeders any day of the week. It should be easier to give chuds the right-leaning religious subjugation they crave.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Wasn't the government making a big show of taking in refugees a couple years ago? Why stop now? Open the doors to any Afghans who want in, whether they worked for us or not.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

MA-Horus posted:

All our 'terps are gonna loving die.
Anyone who helped us is gonna loving die.
It's a loving disgrace.

Dat's imperialism babyeee

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I believe they did commit to like tripling the immigration quota this year, since it was nonexistent last year.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pokeyman posted:

Wasn't the government making a big show of taking in refugees a couple years ago? Why stop now? Open the doors to any Afghans who want in, whether they worked for us or not.

I don't begrudge the Syrians their good fortune at all, but they were mostly strangers weren't they? These guys had been literally keeping us alive over there for what, 20 years, some of them? They were getting night letters from the taliban when I was there in 06, and now it looks like those 15 years of threats are gonna come true really soon. I don't really wanna think about those men and their families dying to that gaggle of fuckin maniacs but there's not really a gently caress of a lot I can do about it, besides yelling impotently at the ministers and egging on Jenny Kwan of all people to ramp up her attacks

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

I don't begrudge the Syrians their good fortune at all, but they were mostly strangers weren't they? These guys had been literally keeping us alive over there for what, 20 years, some of them? They were getting night letters from the taliban when I was there in 06, and now it looks like those 15 years of threats are gonna come true really soon. I don't really wanna think about those men and their families dying to that gaggle of fuckin maniacs but there's not really a gently caress of a lot I can do about it, besides yelling impotently at the ministers and egging on Jenny Kwan of all people to ramp up her attacks

Oh for sure, it's ridiculous that we don't have their backs. USA's doing the same shameful poo poo, maybe there's some "let's be slightly better than the USA" leverage in there?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Who the hell believes America will have their back ever? They’re going to do us dirty even more than in the past the first chance they get

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
In a few hours I will be heading out to officially join Two Dose Summer, which Erin O'toole helpfully branded Trudeau's Summer because he is the worst politician since Joe Clark

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Erin is a girl's name lol

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

And O'Tool is a descriptor.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Franks Happy Place posted:

In a few hours I will be heading out to officially join Two Dose Summer, which Erin O'toole helpfully branded Trudeau's Summer because he is the worst politician since Joe Clark

Even loving Coyne had an article today about how bad a job the CPC is doing right now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What did he have to say? Lol if I'm shelling out for the Globe and Mail just to read one spicy condemnation a year.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

What did he have to say? Lol if I'm shelling out for the Globe and Mail just to read one spicy condemnation a year.

Non-paywalled link

Choice Quotes are

quote:

More than leadership or policy, it’s the Conservative temperament that’s putting off voters

On many of the most important issues of the day, Conservatives have either had nothing to say (hello, climate change) or have actively antagonized voters they might otherwise have reached (race, immigration, marriage equality).

Beyond leadership or policy, the Conservative malaise seems even more to do with what I might call the party’s temperament: not just its image but its persona, the deeper qualities of disposition that are revealing of character. Something in the Conservative temperament has simply become repellent to a great many people.

If the besetting sin of Liberals is smarmy sanctimoniousness, the Conservative equivalent is a chippy defensiveness, an adolescent petulance, a conviction that the cards are perpetually stacked against them.

Far worse, however, has been its toll on the Conservative psyche. The same fundamental insecurity that, in a Joe Clark or a Bob Stanfield, emerged as a kind of apologetic cough of deference to liberal elites, is also at work in today’s smirking Conservative populist. (Link to Pollievre's twitter was here)

In sports it is often observed that a team might have the best players or the best strategy, but if it does not have a winning culture, that elusive gel of belief in itself, it is still doomed to defeat. Until the Conservatives develop that culture – until they acquire some self-respect, put a smile on their face, and act like grown-ups – they will be condemned to the same.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Coyne is a boomer moron. The conservatives just need to double down on being assholes and should have elected some shithead like Maxime Bernier or Derek Sloane their leader.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

He’s so close. And yet so far

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

“Our world view is repugnant to most human beings. Clearly we just need to act more up beat about this”

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I like the implication that the Conservative team has the best players and the best strategy, they just don't believe in themselves enough.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Why are you all lamenting the Tories can't do better?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

half cocaine posted:

Why are you all lamenting the Tories can't do better?

Well, if for no other reason than a good 30% of the population is willing to vote for a walking consolation prize regardless

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

"only vote for winners" huh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress Pallister and gently caress these Conservative assholes who think we're winning some war and getting freedom back.

https://twitter.com/__m_pereira/status/1415392219595481092

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Winning back from who? The only thing I can think of that was imposed upon Manitoba is closing the USA border. Everything else has been under the authority of the legislature that he leads.

"We're saving ourselves from me!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Reminds me of Bojo wanting a Christmas truce with the virus like it's 1914.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lmao

https://twitter.com/LP_LaPresse/status/1415514845986779140?s=20

Knives are out for Paul, no confidence vote coming.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is Andrew Coyne the one who hates the liberals because a his mom and a Trudeau hooked up once upon a time?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress Pallister and gently caress these Conservative assholes who think we're winning some war and getting freedom back.

https://twitter.com/__m_pereira/status/1415392219595481092

That seems like a weird thing to get upset with. Our freedom of movement and association was constrained by public health measures for good reason, and now we are seeing an easing of those restrictions. Everyone is ready to celebrate and see family again. Yeah it's gross to see conservatives walk onto the stage now and try to take credit when they were dragging their feet the whole time but I wouldn't call framing the loosening of restrictions as regaining some freedom "dangerous".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Didn't Pallister's Indigenous and Northern Affairs Minister retire from the cabinet over his colonialism comments tge other week?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Is Andrew Coyne the one who hates the liberals because a his mom and a Trudeau hooked up once upon a time?

His sister and Pierre yes, resulting in Justin's half-sister.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Didn't Pallister's Indigenous and Northern Affairs Minister retire from the cabinet over his colonialism comments tge other week?

Couple days ago yes.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

bunnyofdoom posted:

His sister and Pierre yes, resulting in Justin's half-sister.

His cousin actually. She actually ran against Justin in the 2013 liberal leadership race.

Obviously she was not a serious contender.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Andrew Coyne sucks

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

McGavin posted:

I like the implication that the Conservative team has the best players and the best strategy, they just don't believe in themselves enough.

lol.

Tho in the full article Coyne does not hold back from noting that uh, actually the team is quite shite

quote:

Moreover, while the Liberals, as the party of power and therefore of cabinet posts, have always been able to recruit individuals with a record of accomplishment in other fields, the Conservatives tend to get stuck with the lifers, people who have never done anything but partisan politics and are motivated by nothing so much as hatred of the Grits. Which may explain why the party’s leading lights so often look and sound like campus Conservatives.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

No poo poo they're campus Conservatives. Can you imagine becoming a Conservative late in life? Like, you make it to your 40s with a functioning brain and then suddenly realize that you want to make life worse for everyone around you? That's some Captain Planet supervillain poo poo right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

McGavin posted:

No poo poo they're campus Conservatives. Can you imagine becoming a Conservative late in life? Like, you make it to your 40s with a functioning brain and then suddenly realize that you want to make life worse for everyone around you? That's some Captain Planet supervillain poo poo right there.

"If you're young and conservative, you have no heart: if you're old and liberal, you have no brain!" was conventional wisdom in my household growing up.