Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Gaz-L posted:

I believe they're shooting in January? So probably around this time or later next year?

What's the last story Kang was in in the comics, actually? He was the villain in Ahmed's run on Exiles, if I remember.

He was in the 2019 Moon Knight Annual. And if the question of how can Scott beat him is confusing, Moon Knight sure had no problem kicking his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

I believe they're shooting in January? So probably around this time or later next year?

What's the last story Kang was in in the comics, actually? He was the villain in Ahmed's run on Exiles, if I remember.

He popped up randomly throughout the most recent Doom series by Cantwell. Before that he was involved in Infinity Wars. I think the last thing he was an actual main plot villain in was the first arc of the Waid/Del Mundo Avengers series with Sam, Jane, Hercules, etc. And before that I think you have to go all the way back to Remender's Uncanny Avengers where he was a major plot point for a while.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Any particular reason? My partner had a fun night out but didn't express any happy grrl power feelings like she did for Birds of Prey. She's been way more into Loki and she was never really a Loki stan so I wonder if it's a quality thing or if we've all just moved on from grounded stories and are only satisfied with outright insanity from our Marvel productions.

She thought a lot of the more allegorical stuff fell flat. Like, I think it's fair to read the movie as a pretty straightforward allegory about women and agency in action narratives-- as mentioned, the main bad guy is straight up just a sleazy, literally "untouchable" executive-type, and you have the whole thing about girls being sucked up and force-fed through a process that takes their free will away and turns them into sexualized tools for evil, brutish men. She just thought it was done poorly, and even in a tacky way. I wasn't paying super close attention to the montage over the Nirvana cover but she said there were little flashes of human trafficking imagery that she just thought were a tasteless fit for what is ultimately a dumb goofy movie about a lady who is acquaintances with a talking raccoon from space, and that everything it had to say about rape culture and exploitation was trivial.

There were also some plot holes she mentioned but I don't remember what they were, she was also more annoyed about the changes to Taskmaster than I was (I think Taskmaster was fine, definitely not as unique a concept as the comics version but I don't think he'd fit tonally into a movie like this).

It's interesting that you bring up Loki because my wife did love Loki. I don't want to put words in her mouth too much but maybe your thing about a shift in what kinds of stories people are excited about in the MCU is part of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not really small flashes, Natasha and Yelena are transported in shipping crates with a bunch of other girls. It's the full text.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Aphrodite posted:

It's not really small flashes, Natasha and Yelena are transported in shipping crates with a bunch of other girls. It's the full text.

I know that part but she said there were flashes of documentary footage and real photos during the montage, which again, I didn't like the song so I spent part of that time grappling with my box of sour patch kids.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The song was terrible, so I understand that.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

lol the song reminded me a lot of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4JfmlpAdRM

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking about Red Guardian and his story about fighting Captain America. Maybe the US government let Isiah out of prison to go do missions for them, promising him freedom if he did this mission, and then boom, back to prison. That's the kind of poo poo the US gov would do a black super soldier

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking about Red Guardian and his story about fighting Captain America. Maybe the US government let Isiah out of prison to go do missions for them, promising him freedom if he did this mission, and then boom, back to prison. That's the kind of poo poo the US gov would do a black super soldier

He definitely seemed to think it was Steve, being as he expected Nat to have heard stories about him from Cap. I suppose you could have Hydra put Bucky in the suit for missions in the 80s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nat had that moment with Bucky in CW that sort of alluded to their comic book romance.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

He definitely seemed to think it was Steve, being as he expected Nat to have heard stories about him from Cap. I suppose you could have Hydra put Bucky in the suit for missions in the 80s

He never says that it was Steve, just always Captain America. He probably only saw the uniform and shield, not the man wearing it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
So I watched Fant4stic for the first time tonight.

I didn’t hate it? Or, more accurately, I didn’t hate the first hour and change. Basically everything up til Reed escapes was solid. Maybe even pretty good! But holy poo poo everything afterward is such a loving swiss cheese trainwreck. I was astonished when the final fight just began out of nowhere because it felt like the movie had just loving started. That ending was so clearly rushed and shot long after Trank hosed up and had the movie taken from him, and absolutely none of the interpersonal threads are resolved or even followed up on. Johnny and his dad? Nope. Ben forgiving Reed? Nope. Sue and Reed? Nope. Literally anything about Doom? Nada. Oh well, time to fight the big blue portal for some reason!

It’s kind of astonishing how bad that ending is and it just kinda suddenly happens because the movie decides it’s time to end. It is garbage.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The only way to make that movie enjoyable is to try and spot the reshoots by looking at Kate Mara's terrible wig

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s kind of astonishing how bad that ending is and it just kinda suddenly happens because the movie decides it’s time to end. It is garbage.

While it is of course a Frankenmovie because the execs got nervous and that's crappy, I'm not altogether convinced that the original flick would have been good either.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I didn’t hate the first hour and change. Basically everything up til Reed escapes was solid. Maybe even pretty good!

Yeah, that's most people's thoughts on it. Unfortunately it doesn't stop there and then introduces one of the worst comic movie villains of all time shortly thereafter.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I remember feeling like both halves of that movie are the exact same amount of bad, just in opposite directions. The first half is ponderous, self-conscious, and dull while the second half is frenetic, witless, and also dull.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Love that Susan doesn't even get to explore the other dimension with them in the inciting incident and has to be mission control instead

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

F4 is a fine first act of a movie that then just ends as soon as the second act seems to be starting, which is also like an hour and 45 minutes into the movie. The editing and pacing in that movie is loving BONKERS, and I absolutely believe Trank when he says he has a Snyder cut style alternate cut that's totally different. It feels like a Frankenstein of a movie.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Arist posted:

Love that Susan doesn't even get to explore the other dimension with them in the inciting incident and has to be mission control instead

Yeah that was a weird choice. Like if one of them had to be left behind logically it would have been Johnny or Ben but thematically it would have been Doom.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arist posted:

I'm honestly not sure if Trank was going to give Sue her powers and if the fourth one wouldn't have been Doom.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am 110% positive there's a Trank cut out there but that dude burned all his bridges. It's dead. You can see a tiny bit of it on a screen with the Thing jumping in a forest.

Maybe in a million years he'll just release it like the Donner cut.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dunno, he made some comments that he showed up and was locked out of editing and I doubt he was smart enough to keep copies at home.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Dawgstar posted:

While it is of course a Frankenmovie because the execs got nervous and that's crappy, I'm not altogether convinced that the original flick would have been good either.

Yeah the fact that the second half of that movie is literally not a movie makes the first half retroactively look better, but the first half had a ton of problems that almost certainly would have poisoned any attempt at making an actual second half of the movie.

You would have to make Sue an actual character, for one thing.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Am I inventing an insanely stupid concept out of Weapon X style manufactured memory or do I actually recall Trank's F4 movie having a dark and gritty origin for The Thing saying "it's clobbering time," like it was from his dad beating him or something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

Am I inventing an insanely stupid concept out of Weapon X style manufactured memory or do I actually recall Trank's F4 movie having a dark and gritty origin for The Thing saying "it's clobbering time," like it was from his dad beating him or something?

Nope, that's there. It's his older brother though.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Incredible. Magnificent.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vince MechMahon posted:

F4 is a fine first act of a movie that then just ends as soon as the second act seems to be starting, which is also like an hour and 45 minutes into the movie. The editing and pacing in that movie is loving BONKERS, and I absolutely believe Trank when he says he has a Snyder cut style alternate cut that's totally different. It feels like a Frankenstein of a movie.

Yeah. Its a first act that's fine in theory but in practice is twice as long as it should be and fills the space of the second act. Then there just is no second act but it just jumps right into a lazy third act. Either someone has to cut 30 minutes from the first act and add an entire second act or there's some 3 hour version that makese sense and just got hacked up or I dunno what.

And yeah, the movie just actively sticks Sue in a corner which what the gently caress? "Lets invite along my old buddy who had nothing to do with this, but we can't invite Sue who helped make this."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My favorite thing about the movie is that through extremely bizarre circumstances the four titular characters are not onscreen together until the final fight.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Aphrodite posted:

Nope, that's there. It's his older brother though.

His older brother, played by Chet Hanks

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Arist posted:

My favorite thing about the movie is that through extremely bizarre circumstances the four titular characters are not onscreen together until the final fight.
Don't forget that Doom does the blue sky laser thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cropARIc7-w&t=388s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6GVxkQ6bcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e58P6QhK4-4

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 16, 2021

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

poly and open-minded posted:

His older brother, played by Chet Hanks

Shut the gently caress up?! What?!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ahem, please use his stage name, Chet Haze (I saw an interview with Colin Hanks where they asked about Chet's music and it's the most awkward "he's my little brother and dad will be mad if I talk poo poo" diplomatic response)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 17, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chet Hanks’ whole ‘white boy summer’ thing got turned into a white supremacist meme so there’s that

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Shut the gently caress up?! What?!

BIG UPS to your boii CHET HANKS :rznv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXlrQCuEEvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FankRSprOs

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just got back from seeing Black Widow. My non-spoiler thoughts are that it was better than I thought it would be (which I think is due to the very strong cast), and that this version of Taskmaster suuuucked.

Spoiler thoughts-

-Regarding the 'Did Red Guardian actually fight Captain America' thing, I think it was just Alexei bullshitting to make himself a bigger deal. From very early in the movie his characterization is that he really buys into this 'Red Guardian' persona.
-Pugh as Yelena was great, as others have said, and I am looking forward to seeing her in the Hawkeye series.
-I almost groaned outloud in the theater when they started to play the slow cover of 'Smells like Teen Spirit'. Just a very bad decision, especially since it's over footage of girls being abducted and brainwashed into becoming assassins.
-I really don't understand why Taskmaster needed to be in this movie at all. The 'twist' with the villain's daughter turning out to be Taskmaster was very clear when we find out that he had survived the explosion in the first place. It's not even a subversion of the character like they did with Mandarin in IM3. It's just that they wanted a recognizable character for BW to fight, but that barely even happens at all. The two Black Widows fight the other Black Widows in this movie almost as much as they fight Taskmaster. So that was by far the biggest disappointment of this film, because I have enjoyed the other versions of this character that have shown up in things like PS4 Spider-Man game.
-Harbour as Red Guardian is great and I wish he was in even more of the film.
-Weisz also does well with the very limited screen time she had, but I wish we had gotten more.
-I tend to agree with the other reviews saying that BW is the weakest part of her own movie, which kind of makes sense since she's a more serious character and her supporting cast in the movie played a lot more towards comedy while she is more of the 'straight man'.
-I'm still not sure if Valentina is recruiting for the Thunderbolts or the Dark Avengers. You would think it would be the Thunderbolts considering how many of those characters have already appeared in the MCU, but I could also see Dark Avengers since we are not getting another Avengers movie any time soon. Regardless, she's clearly manipulating certain characters for unknown reasons that at some point we will get answers to, but who knows when. Maybe in the Hawkeye series?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So I watched Fant4stic for the first time tonight.

I didn’t hate it? Or, more accurately, I didn’t hate the first hour and change. Basically everything up til Reed escapes was solid. Maybe even pretty good! But holy poo poo everything afterward is such a loving swiss cheese trainwreck. I was astonished when the final fight just began out of nowhere because it felt like the movie had just loving started. That ending was so clearly rushed and shot long after Trank hosed up and had the movie taken from him, and absolutely none of the interpersonal threads are resolved or even followed up on. Johnny and his dad? Nope. Ben forgiving Reed? Nope. Sue and Reed? Nope. Literally anything about Doom? Nada. Oh well, time to fight the big blue portal for some reason!

the first act isn’t great by any means (too long by at least 15 minutes or so, a fair bit of material that doesn’t work), but it’s at least competent enough to lull you into thinking that maybe the film’s reputation is undeserved. It’s amazing how quickly the quality takes a nosedive after the “one year later” title card and how obvious the seams of the reshoots and drastic editing-room cuts are

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Still cannot believe I watched Miles Teller use his stretching powers to turn himself Latino

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arist posted:

Still cannot believe I watched Miles Teller use his stretching powers to turn himself Latino

wait what the gently caress?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I very distinctly remember a scene where you see Reed gently caress with his face using his stretching powers, but I cannot find any evidence of this happening now that I'm checking and I feel like I'm losing my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nah it's here. I dunno about Latino, specifically, though he does change his face.