Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Finger Prince posted:

I had to google it. Overall length. The olds is almost exactly a yard longer or 85cm. All trunk

And hood (bonnet). Even though it was a "downsized intermediate" (versus the previous generation, definitely) G-body it still had an acre of hood. Gotta cover that V8, ya know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hmm this seems problematic

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/14/gm-warns-some-bolt-ev-owners-dont-park-them-inside-or-charge-them-unattended-overnight.html

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Hey Bolt touchers, GM issued new guidance for 17s through 19s to park outside and not to charge in your garage unattended.

Aka the recall issue isn't fixed. Two more Bolts with the "permanent fix" seem to have burst into flames while parked, too.

Edit: goddamn sniped while someone walked up to my desk :rip:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sounds like it's time to buy an old bolt so I can get a brand new battery put in it. Or a buyback for more money than the car's worth, VW dieselgate style.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Yeah, we're on the line with GM's Bolt California team. They're going to have an offer for us by end of week in either a trade up or a buy back. We told them not being able to charge indoors was completely unacceptable.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 15, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Westy543 posted:

Hey Bolt touchers, GM issued new guidance for 17s through 19s to park outside and not to charge in your garage unattended.

Aka the recall issue isn't fixed. Two more Bolts with the "permanent fix" seem to have burst into flames while parked, too.

Edit: goddamn sniped while someone walked up to my desk :rip:

And this is why I didn't buy one. I knew the software fix was BS.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

So which EVs aren’t a risk for randomly catching fire in your driveway? The Bolt, Teslas, and the Kona have all had issues.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Model 3 and Y packs have fire retardant potting material, so they generally won't. It took a long time to back port to Model S/X and I'm still not sure if they did. Kia's EVs seem good so far, but I'd worry by proximity to Hyundai? Leafs seem solid too from a fire pov. Hard to tell with other OEMs, but maybe VW? Can't say I remember many e-golf fires.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

So which EVs aren’t a risk for randomly catching fire in your driveway? The Bolt, Teslas, and the Kona have all had issues.

For all it's other problems I've never heard of a Leaf catching fire at all let alone while charging.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

dissss posted:

For all it's other problems I've never heard of a Leaf catching fire at all let alone while charging.

The internet says it’s happened once https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicle_fire_incidents so I’m mentally breathing a sigh of relief

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

dissss posted:

You could fix this with some good old gasoline

We just cleaned our filthy automobile and I still really like the white interior.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

cruft posted:

You could fix this with some good old gasoline

The last EV fire that was in the new around here was caused by the range extender in an i3 going up.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

kronix posted:

If you talk to people and actually listen to their concerns, they're generally slightly less dumb and more likely explaining their concerns badly. I've suggested people get EVs when they ask me what new car to get and I always get the "How long does it take to charge?" question. That question usually relates to the following scenarios:

1. How long will it take me to charge if my range is X and I want to go X + Y distance
  2. How long to take me to charge when I go to X location for a week where I'm not sure if there's any chargers available where I'm parking

When people buy a $40k dollar electric car they don't want to hear that it's less convenient than what they're used to.

Like I said, I'm happy to answer them. Telling them it is like a cell phone with wheels actually makes it MORE convenient is the point I get across. Basically there is this "ah ha! that is nice!" moment when they realize what it means. Then I explain the other possibilities including up to 75 hours on a 120v outlet to less than a bathroom or snack break on a DC fast charger.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Looking at the technology as it stands, none of them. Basically any manufacturer can find a way to gently caress up lithium ion batteries without realizing it and it may take a decade of incremental improvements before EV fire risk can be minimized. I would avoid the Tesla until someone has enough sense to mandate an easily accessible manually-operated door catch on all passenger doors, because why the gently caress would you allow an electric-actuation only door catch on a car that has a small but non-negligible chance of rapidly cooking its passengers alive if they don't bail out in time?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lol Tesla door handles amirite
https://i.imgur.com/7g6esOs.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/cLDXzbt.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/73KJWjU.gifv

These are all poo poo too.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

He meant the inside handles, which do not exist. There are various hidden emergency releases or mechanism depending on the model and seat you’re in but they aren’t necessarily conducive to quick egress. I’m sure they aren’t the only offender in that space either but most ICE cars with electronic locks that I’m familiar with still seem to have a mechanical override to allow you to open the door from the inside in case of a loss of battery power.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 15, 2021

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The model 3 and y rear doors don't have any manual override. the S and X apparently do but it's hidden in a non-obvious spot. It's sillier than the (admittedly silly) outside door handles because there's no reason they couldn't have just doubled up the front door manual releases for the rear doors and avoided the whole issue aside from penny-pinching of the most severe manner.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Apparently evgo bought plugshare :gonk:

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

ngl some base instinct in me expected a CD tray to pop out of that last one.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Triggerhappypilot posted:

The model 3 and y rear doors don't have any manual override. the S and X apparently do but it's hidden in a non-obvious spot. It's sillier than the (admittedly silly) outside door handles because there's no reason they couldn't have just doubled up the front door manual releases for the rear doors and avoided the whole issue aside from penny-pinching of the most severe manner.
The 3/Y have a cable with a piece of foam on the end in each rear door pocket, underneath the mat on the bottom.

Why it’s allowed to be that big of a pain to get to, I have zero idea. Maybe because the manual release bypasses the electronic lock, and having it easily reachable isn’t great for child safety?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Aino Minako posted:

that's for your coffee mug

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Westy543 posted:

If it gets too bad they might go the way of Encarta v Wikipedia

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Westy543 posted:

Yeah, we're on the line with GM's Bolt California team. They're going to have an offer for us by end of week in either a trade up or a buy back. We told them not being able to charge indoors was completely unacceptable.

That's bad enough, but the article said they don't even want you parking them indoors. At that point GM just needs to start writing massive checks and take the loss as a car you can't park in a garage is fairly insane, and just imagine the lawsuits if your Bolt is parked in an apartment garage and then starts a fire.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Westy543 posted:

RIP PlugShare, you were really useful and I'll stick with you until I can't handle the pain any longer

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Welp, the Jeep has been sold and the MY should be here in a few weeks. Fully ready to be living the electric life style!

Anything I should get before the Y gets here? I'm not going with the $500 Tesla charger and will just install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and grab the adapter. Should I grab another Gen 2 mobile connector as well? One to keep in the car and one to keep at home?

Any recommendations on floor mats for the trunk area? I have 2 large dogs I'll be driving around and would like something that covers not only the trunk away but also the area when the rear seats are folded down to keep the dog hair on the actual seat backs and trunk floor to a minimum.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

mattfl posted:

Should I grab another Gen 2 mobile connector as well? One to keep in the car and one to keep at home?

This is not a bad idea, but it depends on how often you will be going on trips that need L2 charging away from home. If it is something you will hardly ever do, then it may not be worth the $300 to get a second mobile connector. You would just have to remember to pack up the included mobile connector when you do go on a trip like that.

It is very convenient to always have a charging cable ready at home that you don't have to unpack from the car and plug in every time. Also make sure you get an industrial rated or RV rated 14-50 outlet, because the generics may start having poor contact issues in as little as 30-50 cycles (plugging and unplugging) which can end in flames.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Indiana_Krom posted:

Also make sure you get an industrial rated or RV rated 14-50 outlet, because the generics may start having poor contact issues in as little as 30-50 cycles (plugging and unplugging) which can end in flames.

Question. I recently had a 1450 Outlet installed in my garage, and my usual routine is just to leave my charger plugged in to the outlet even when the vehicle is not being charged. Is that a big deal?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Question. I recently had a 1450 Outlet installed in my garage, and my usual routine is just to leave my charger plugged in to the outlet even when the vehicle is not being charged. Is that a big deal?

That's fine, better even. The J1772 plug itself is rated for tens of thousands of plugins. the 14-50 plug, much less so.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Finger Prince posted:

Lol Tesla door handles amirite

Tesla had a terrible design idea with the Model S and all other manufacturers are copying it. Not the first time.

But I think the Model 3 handles are fine. Extra motors that will probably break or malfunction in a door handle I'm not a fan of. But I guess I'm no at "luxury vehicle" driver: Maybe they like spending time at the shop.

Aino Minako posted:

I'd like that as an option.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

mattfl posted:

Anything I should get before the Y gets here?

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Car-Safety-Hammer-Emergency/dp/B07ZRCB4QH

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I have these in all my vehicles already!

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

mattfl posted:

I'm not going with the $500 Tesla charger and will just install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and grab the adapter. Should I grab another Gen 2 mobile connector as well? One to keep in the car and one to keep at home?

That’s what I’m doing. The 14-50 outlet is on the wall already and another mobile connector/14-50 plug is on order. Be sure to get the mounting kit, either from Tesla or somewhere else, so that the plug isn’t holding the weight of the connector; that’ll apparently damage it over time. It’s also easier to make a case for something called “mobile” to be used with the 30% home EVSE tax credit if I can show that it’s in some way attached to the house, should I happen to be audited.

My thinking was, if the mobile connector on the wall ever dies, I will have another one ready to go while I deal with the warranty. Likewise, if the one I take with me dies, I can just unplug the one on the wall and take it when I need to. I have no idea if they’re solid devices or if they go out occasionally, but in any case I’d hate to be stuck on slow public charging or driving 30 minutes to a supercharger while I deal with replacing the thing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Lots of Lightning videos just released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Siqfr6v-ew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfZ_dWAWWFM

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but I thought these won't work in the newer Tesla Y/3/etc with the layered side window glass (it is laminated just like a windshield so it won't shatter or collapse even if it is cracked/broken).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but I thought these won't work in the newer Tesla Y/3/etc with the layered side window glass (it is laminated just like a windshield so it won't shatter or collapse even if it is cracked/broken).

I don't know how well it will work, but it's only the front windows that are laminated and the front doors have manual release anyway.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

mattfl posted:

Anything I should get before the Y gets here? I'm not going with the $500 Tesla charger and will just install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and grab the adapter. Should I grab another Gen 2 mobile connector as well? One to keep in the car and one to keep at home?

Honestly, a second UMC is a waste of money. Just take the one you have whenever you go on really long trips, and forget about it. 99% of the time you'll be charging on either Tesla destination chargers or using your J1772 adapter to plug into the others.

I've done 2 5,000+ mile road trips in both my Model 3s, and only had to use my UMC at hotels twice.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Honestly, a second UMC is a waste of money. Just take the one you have whenever you go on really long trips, and forget about it. 99% of the time you'll be charging on either Tesla destination chargers or using your J1772 adapter to plug into the others.

That's kinda what my thought process was too.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I feel like the only UMC plugs I'd want are like 14-50 and maybe like 10-30?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

You should also consider how likely you are to flake out and forget to bring the UMC with you when you need it. This scenario has a 100% chance of happening to me, for instance.

We're on a road trip right now and I've used the portable charger twice at my in-laws place. It was not on my mind as something I might need when we were packing our bags to leave home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

cruft posted:

You should also consider how likely you are to flake out and forget to bring the UMC with you when you need it. This scenario has a 100% chance of happening to me, for instance.

We're on a road trip right now and I've used the portable charger twice at my in-laws place. It was not on my mind as something I might need when we were packing our bags to leave home.

This looks like a pretty nifty mobile EVSE. Can carry around a 5-15 and whatever 220v plug you want and do both level 1 and 2 charging (much like the tesla mobile charger can do)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PKB2JW/?coliid=I2Q8AQL2MYEFXB&colid=3Q8KC5FA5W5V1&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

My main problem with it is the 5-15 cable does not follow code limits for a max of 80% amp continuous, instead drawing a 15a. It's a shame it does that since that's pretty much a deal breaker there as a level 1 charger.