Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

if you're not bothered by the 3 door thing and don't care about having a nicer interior it rocks

I kinda like the 3-door concept. Would probably like a coupe more but this is a nice compromise.

Fart Car '97 posted:

They're supposed to be great cars, it's just that the layout loving sucks and it's a 2+2 disguised as a hatch.

Interior layout? Too cramped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
take note of the visibility too

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

as far as things to be wary of:

- the 2019/2020 comes in a base model and performance package option that were 27k and 29k respectively. performance package gives +25hp, an electronic differential, bigger wheels, better brakes, summer performance tires, and a valved exhaust. a no brainer for the price in my opinion so make sure you know what you're getting if you buy used
- the 2021+ drops the base model, gets nicer seats, and adds safety features (lane keep, blind spot warnings, etc) but bumps the price to 32k for the manual. a bit of a bummer if you don't care about the safety features because 29k was a pretty great price. the seats light up though

- not aware of any major mechanical issues
- on a few occasions when temps drop below zero I've had issues with the driver side door being unable to open from the outside. have to get in on the other side and open the door from there. apparently fairly common, not sure if it's fixed on the newer model
- rear windshield visibility is pretty poo poo
- does not come with a spare
- wheel/brake size can limit your options for winter tires or buying a spare
- rear seats aren't exactly roomy. may be uncomfortable for taller people
- some people find the suspension to be too rough even in normal mode

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Thank you, that's some great insight. When talking about "below zero", is that F or C ?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

fahrenheit

it's happened maybe 5 or 6 times in the two years I've had it. only in the morning after it's been sitting outside on cold nights. issue goes away by the time I get to the office

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Volguus posted:

I kinda like the 3-door concept. Would probably like a coupe more but this is a nice compromise.

Interior layout? Too cramped?

The interior layout is too cramped to realistically have 4 adults in there for anything longer than short jaunts, and the hatch suffers from C30 syndrome where it's weird narrow entrance severely limits it's practicality.

FWIW renting a veloster is what planted the seed of getting a car again for me, as I really enjoyed the one I rented for a weekend out of town. As soon as I started to compare the practicality of it vs other hatches, it was just really hard to justify as someone who also needed the utility of the hatch

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 14, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ok Comboomer posted:

the best hot hatch is the type r because a hot hatch is supposed to be a daily driver and also it shouldn’t cost you poo poo past the initial $40 $60 grand

nevermind the transmission + overheating issues in the 2017

It's like you didn't even read my essay about how poo poo the civic interior is. lol at the idea of spending type R money on a daily and having to live with that.

they are cool though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

prom candy posted:

It's like you didn't even read my essay about how poo poo the civic interior is. lol at the idea of spending type R money on a daily and having to live with that.

they are cool though.

pretend I wrote that in 2022 :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i have bad news about the FoRS interior then considering it is the height of FoMoCo interior design circa 2010.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

What does one call the brotherhood of Focus RS owners? FoRSkin?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The Hot Hatch Discussion Thread: Brotherhood of FoRSkin.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I wonder why we don't just get the normal Hyundai hatchback with the Veloster drivetrain in the US? It doesn't seem like anyone buys the Veloster N, but you see GTIs all over the place. Seems like a market they could get in to. The I-30 looks nice.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
New Golf R starting at 44.5k: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37001607/2022-volkswagen-golf-r-price/
New GTI starting at 30.5k: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37001250/2022-volkswagen-golf-gti-price/

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Interesting timing on that, we're in the media week leading up to the rescheduled Chicago Auto Show and when I get there I will have...questions

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

The Hot Hatch Discussion Thread: Brotherhood of FoRSkin.

:sushiyes:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nomyth posted:

Interesting timing on that, we're in the media week leading up to the rescheduled Chicago Auto Show and when I get there I will have...questions

like what

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
"can I have one"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you give them between 30 and 38 thousand dollars depending on trim level i bet they will let you have one eventually

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Given dealer markup and delivery fees and other annoying seller's market things I'm wagering more like $45k

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

thanks, I hate it

super pumped for the 7.5s to drop in price tho

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Hrmmmm think I’d spend another $4k and get a 382hp m240i xdrive instead.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wonderllama posted:

isn't that dead as of 22?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

why would you ruin one of the last proper RWD cars that you can buy with xdrive?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

why would you ruin one of the last proper RWD cars that you can buy with xdrive?

lol i've just realized they're talking about the new 2 :chloe:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol i've just realized they're talking about the new 2 :chloe:

oh wow, it won’t come with a manual and is only initially available with XDrive, what a surprise, eat my rear end in a top hat BMW

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
they're assuming y'all are hard enough for the formula that you'll just pony up for the totally-leaked-spyshot-and-not-just-an-official-photo-in-camo-wrap 2022 M2 of course

i'll just sit here in the casual can't-drive-stick corner astounded at how the '22 M240i is more powerful than the previous gen M2

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 15, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nomyth posted:

they're assuming y'all are hard enough for the formula that you'll just pony up for the totally-leaked-spyshot-and-not-just-an-official-photo-in-camo-wrap 2022 M2 of course

i'll just sit here in the casual can't-drive-stick corner astounded at how the '22 M240i is more powerful than the previous gen M2

I mean, wasn’t the old one already not that far from the old M2? Like it kinda behooves the new M240i, especially if they’re gonna eliminate all of the “detrimental to performance” things like a manual and RWD that made the Mxxxi versions desirable to people beyond “it’s got an M Badge and it’s cheaper than the M2”.

Yes, I’m aware that precious few of those people actually bought those cars, and even fewer would’ve bought them new.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 15, 2021

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Don’t know how I feel about all digital dash. I kinda like my manual controls.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Rusty posted:

I wonder why we don't just get the normal Hyundai hatchback with the Veloster drivetrain in the US? It doesn't seem like anyone buys the Veloster N, but you see GTIs all over the place. Seems like a market they could get in to. The I-30 looks nice.

I totally forgot the i30N is available outside NA and now I'm sad.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

latinotwink1997 posted:

Don’t know how I feel about all digital dash. I kinda like my manual controls.

there are manual controls, they're just all under the vents or way down by the shifter

you definitely have to take your eyes off the road to use them. fun fact, all the other new bmws are like this, all the way up to your wine mom's X5

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Nomyth posted:

there are manual controls, they're just all under the vents or way down by the shifter

you definitely have to take your eyes off the road to use them. fun fact, all the other new bmws are like this, all the way up to your wine mom's X5

Oops, was talking about the GTI. Checked more photos and saw it’s not entirely digital at least. I’m just getting old it seems and don’t like change, haha.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I totally forgot the i30N is available outside NA and now I'm sad.

they just announced the Elantra N for the US, but it was focused on the sedan and not the hatch.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37010957/2022-hyundai-elantra-n-specs-revealed/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
ok I’m back, and I met a blue 2015 FiST and fell utterly in love with it.

It’s got the basic seats, etc. but the price is good. Every FiST I’ve seen with the recaros is either rough for <$15k or decent for $17+. Right now I’m thinking it’s not worth it, and I should just run with this clean car and its basic bitch interior for the next ~3 years and not get wistful about buckets with seat heaters. At minimum they’re not worth the $3k+ I’d have to pay to get them

Change my mind if I’m making a mistake.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Im not gonna tell you no. I loving love mine.

Buy the party car

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Im not gonna tell you no. I loving love mine.

Buy the party car

I mean about the seats.....also looking into it, it’s like a grand+ if I wanna upgrade SYNC 2 to SYNC 3 using a kit. But Idk that it’s worth paying over a grand more for a newer model year car either.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you sat in one with the fancy seats? When I bought one thread convinced me to wait for em and I think it was worth it. But also wasn’t the current weird market.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

powderific posted:

Have you sat in one with the fancy seats? When I bought one thread convinced me to wait for em and I think it was worth it. But also wasn’t the current weird market.

I haven’t, no. Going to try to tomorrow, although that car has had 4 owners instead of 1 and CarFox tells me it had a minor front accident in 2016. But Ford certified it afterward so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Vroom will sell me a 2016 with ~55k, orange recaros, and being 2016 means it comes with sync3 and a backup cam. But for $17,500.

I could spend that much but 1) IDK that I wanna spend $19k after tax and fees on a 5 year old FiST 2) IDK that I wanna deal with Vroom’s “got lower than an F from the BBB”/“gonna make you wait 2-3 weeks for your car” bullshit

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

I'm pretty sure FiSTs didn't get backup cameras until 2018

Not necessarily a drawback, though. I sprang for an '18 to get a backup camera and it sucks rear end. Pretty much any aftermarket one you could get would be preferable

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Late Fees posted:

I'm pretty sure FiSTs didn't get backup cameras until 2018

Yeah I have a 2016 and no backup cam. You can add CarPlay to the ‘16 though which is nice. It makes the car feel newer longer.

I love the recaros (the only good part of the interior besides the aforementioned CarPlay potential) but I also bought at a time when cars were normal prices. They’re also somewhat snug so might not work for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

grahm posted:

Yeah I have a 2016 and no backup cam. You can add CarPlay to the ‘16 though which is nice. It makes the car feel newer longer.

I love the recaros (the only good part of the interior besides the aforementioned CarPlay potential) but I also bought at a time when cars were normal prices. They’re also somewhat snug so might not work for everyone.

Yeah that’s the thing, like this car’s nice and clean for $14.5 k, which is overpriced but it’s way less overpriced in my mind than paying $3-5K more for the combination of “newer car with a newer head unit” + Recaros. But if I’m gonna daily this thing for the next 2-3 years maybe I should consider it?