Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

A Fancy Hat posted:

I misread this and imagined Page chucking guys into midair and Darby Coffin Dropping them at that point. Which sounds like the coolest finisher that would be impossible to actually pull off.

I like your idea better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I’m pretty surprised at how many people think Archer is gonna beat Moxley next week. In addition to how protected Moxley is in AEW, I dunno if NJPW would be eager to move their belt off the big name who’s held it for an eternity for the benefit of a guy who doesn’t work in their company at a show they aren’t promoting

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
Something I've noticed about AEW is that, if it seems like they're obviously going for something, they just do it. They don't swerve you to swerve you, they're not going to change poo poo midstream because they feel like it. They only bail when it's obvious something is not working. And it turns out, after watching wrestling for over 20 years where that just doesn't happen, it's really nice!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

tao of lmao posted:

Apparently the horse story Malakai told Cody was the same story Cody used in a promo against Dustin back at the first All In. Neat callback.

The Lore of Cody... or Black

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Excited for Andrade and two Ingobernables vs Death Triangle

punchdaily posted:

Something I've noticed about AEW is that, if it seems like they're obviously going for something, they just do it. They don't swerve you to swerve you, they're not going to change poo poo midstream because they feel like it. They only bail when it's obvious something is not working. And it turns out, after watching wrestling for over 20 years where that just doesn't happen, it's really nice!

This is why I think the Dark Cowboys are winning and Kenny is losing to Hangman

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, it seems to be Hangman Page's time, and AEW has yet to not accept that when its time, it's time.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Uno and Stu will get their shot but I don't think they're gonna be the ones to take down The Bucks yet, still feel like it's PnP's time but hey i'd love to be wrong

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
Dark Order/Elite is your classic Slobs/Snobs angle, which feels like something wrestling is weirdly short on it. Elite debuting their new manager, William Atherton.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

smarxist posted:

Uno and Stu will get their shot but I don't think they're gonna be the ones to take down The Bucks yet, still feel like it's PnP's time but hey i'd love to be wrong

My thought is they get their shot and lose, teaching Adam it's okay to fail, empowering him to beat Kenny

punchdaily posted:

Dark Order/Elite is your classic Slobs/Snobs angle, which feels like something wrestling is weirdly short on it. Elite debuting their new manager, William Atherton.

I also would have accepted Ted Knight or Paul Gleason.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 15, 2021

bartok
May 10, 2006

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, it seems to be Hangman Page's time, and AEW has yet to not accept that when its time, it's time.

No no no you got to have the match be the main event of the next three PPVs. Omega needs to win twice and make Page look like an absolute chump on Dynamite in between PPVs. Only then can you have Page win in the lamest way possible that puts neither guy over and pisses off the audience.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

bartok posted:

No no no you got to have the match be the main event of the next three PPVs. Omega needs to win twice and make Page look like an absolute chump on Dynamite in between PPVs. Only then can you have Page win in the lamest way possible that puts neither guy over and pisses off the audience.
now that's some good poo poo pal

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

incredibly satisfying and endearing that the crowd was red-hot for Starks and Yuka, two people who have been out of commission for a while but received a hero's welcome. Starks in particular, who was supposed to be the heel, got a massive pop for that win. Can't wait to have that energy again next week, I really missed how much more intense things are with the crowd behind them.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm leaning towards the Elite doing *something* to screw over Hangman one more time.

Or even something like Hangman and Dark Order win the elimination match, Hangman somehow loses the title shot *after* that, but Dark Order sacrifices that tag title shot for him because they believe in him so much.

Then Uno and Grayson move up the rankings anyway and end up beating the Bucks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

incredibly satisfying and endearing that the crowd was red-hot for Starks and Yuka, two people who have been out of commission for a while but received a hero's welcome. Starks in particular, who was supposed to be the heel, got a massive pop for that win. Can't wait to have that energy again next week, I really missed how much more intense things are with the crowd behind them.

They were really hot for Sammy, too

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

My favorite part of the Andrade promo was Andrade having his iPad bearer hand him an iPad so he could show Alex Abrahantes the Death Triangle logo to remind Alex who the Death Triangle were.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I still can't get over how awesome that show was. Perhaps not the best show they've ever done as I previously said but the crowd absolutely made it feel like a PPV from beginning to end and it rules that they're getting these insanely hot crowds straight out of the pandemic shows. Just a perfectly paced show. Whoever said Kenny has big end game boss energy was absolutely right and I can't wait to see him get his comeuppance. Pro wrestling rules yall :hai:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm leaning towards the Elite doing *something* to screw over Hangman one more time.

Or even something like Hangman and Dark Order win the elimination match, Hangman somehow loses the title shot *after* that, but Dark Order sacrifices that tag title shot for him because they believe in him so much.

Hangman is gonna prep a buckshot lariat and one of the Jacksons is gonna hold his feet so he can't hit it.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My thought is they get their shot and lose, teaching Adam it's okay to fail, empowering him to beat Kenny

Hangman being there to support them when they loses will help him realize that he has friends who care about him and will support him regardless, because that's how he feels about the Dark Order, and that will fill him with the determination and grit he needs to beat Kenny. The power of friendship is going to make him kick out of the OWA.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Hangman being there to support them when they loses will help him realize that he has friends who care about him and will support him regardless, because that's how he feels about the Dark Order, and that will fill him with the determination and grit he needs to beat Kenny. The power of friendship is going to make him kick out of the OWA.

God wrestling is such anime

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rarity posted:

Maki Itoh's entire character arc is a far less disturbing adaptation of the plot from Perfect Blue.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Rarity posted:

Specifically it's Baki.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Hours have passed and "I once saw a man kill a horse" is still making me giggle.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lamuella posted:

Hours have passed and "I once saw a man kill a horse" is still making me giggle.

I admit I actually muted this promo because it gave me distinct Undertaker-Big Show desert motorbike promo vibes. I know it'll be loving hilarious in retrospect but in the moment it was just "what is going on here".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Lid posted:

Maki Itoh's entire character arc is a far less disturbing adaptation of the plot from Perfect Blue.

And most of it is a shoot, which just adds a whole different level of hosed up

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Thread

https://twitter.com/Maggie_IK/status/1415656637138939907?s=20
https://twitter.com/Maggie_IK/status/1415656640456630274?s=20
https://twitter.com/Maggie_IK/status/1415658103568281603?s=20
https://twitter.com/Maggie_IK/status/1415660673745530884?s=20

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

A Fancy Hat posted:

I don’t think you need to make it this complicated, just have the Elite eat poo poo until Omega’s got no other choice but to finally defend the title, which he promptly loses. It’s going to run up to All Out, but I don’t think Hangman is going to have any more meaningful setbacks on the chase.

There was a notably high number of Bulgarian students at my college, and this just made me think of them and the very Eastern European parties they would host.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 15, 2021

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
austin trip report:

show owned. crowd was as loud for the last elevation match as it was for the first dark match. five hours of just great matches.

also dr disrespect (a much shorter version of him at least) was sitting behind us.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Some poor farmer just had to shoot his favourite horse and then an endless parade of wrestlers come out to interrogate him about it.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
This was the first Dynamite show I've seen in a while, as I'm usually working Wednesdays, and while I usually PVR stuff I don't always have the fortitude to not watch stuff live.

1) I like the Dynamite opening theme
2) Despite not knowing half of the storylines happening right now, I dug most of the matches
3) I've not seen Yuka Sakazaki before, and while the match was fine, the Magical Girl character seemed like a weird fit style wise? I am ready to let this grow on me
4) When did Matt Hardy get normal? I miss weird Matt Hardy
5) Coffin match was cool, the last coffin drop spot was pretty cool

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BaronVanAwesome posted:

This was the first Dynamite show I've seen in a while, as I'm usually working Wednesdays, and while I usually PVR stuff I don't always have the fortitude to not watch stuff live.

1) I like the Dynamite opening theme
2) Despite not knowing half of the storylines happening right now, I dug most of the matches
3) I've not seen Yuka Sakazaki before, and while the match was fine, the Magical Girl character seemed like a weird fit style wise? I am ready to let this grow on me
4) When did Matt Hardy get normal? I miss weird Matt Hardy
5) Coffin match was cool, the last coffin drop spot was pretty cool

Matt's still weird, only now he's weird about money

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Darby/Page: I was really worried this match was going to be way overbooked when Scorp and Sting showed up, thankfully it was just to give Page enough time to disassemble the ring. The camera work and direction for that spot were loving horrible though. Again, glad it was over relatively quickly. I'm completely over on Page at this point. Super fun match, but every time Darby gets in the ring I fear it'll be his last.

Page/Starks: Some really cool poo poo in this match, but some really sloppy poo poo too... That botched hip-toss hurt my shoulder just to watch. I love that the crowd popped for Starks winning a belt after being sidelined for so long. I thought it was hilarious that they've been setting Starks up as even more of a heel than he was, winning in classic heel fashion, yet everyone was overjoyed with his win and didn't give a gently caress about Cage losing.

Karl Mox: Really enjoyed it, wanted it to go on for another 20 mins.

Sammy/Yuta: Again, really enjoyed it, but wanted it to be MUCH longer. Neither really seemed to get much of a chance to showcase.

Hardy/Christian: When Hardy didn't come out with his crew, I somehow got it into my head that the Butcher was going to make a surprise appearance at the end to screw over Christian. Ah well... Another solid match. Christian's frog-splash was fuckin UP there.

Sakazaki/Ford: Eh, it's gonna take a lot to get me over on Ford.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

sticklefifer posted:

All he had to do was buy Yano's DVD

Didn't he try to? I remember Mox running down the timekeeper or someone for cash so that he could buy the DVD but then Yano cheated him and ran off with the DVD later. Would've been during their preview tag.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

BaronVanAwesome posted:

The "Magical Girl" act can be odd the first time you see it. The best way to contextualise it for me is to remember that it is an act. She's trying to be this sweet noisy cute ball of positivity, and 95% of the time she is.

And then 5% of the time a switch gets flipped and things like this happen:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
what about the 15% of the time she is bullying rookies?

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Lamuella posted:

The "Magical Girl" act can be odd the first time you see it. The best way to contextualise it for me is to remember that it is an act. She's trying to be this sweet noisy cute ball of positivity, and 95% of the time she is.

And then 5% of the time a switch gets flipped and things like this happen:

I would like to see Britt vs. Murder Yuka for the title one day. I think it'd be cool as hell.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I don't know what award it can be but Miro deserves some award for something because he debuted as The Best Man and it was sort of kind of a comedy gimmick putting him with Kip but there was always this undercurrent of menace to him, and now that he's been fully unleashed it's an overcurrent of complete menace and with an intensity where in his promos he can include lines about how hot he is and make direct religious references but none of it feels like a pastiche of "religious zealot heel". He can cut astounding promos, has the best hoss body in AEW, Lana is clearly on the way, and his gimmick is so finely tuned its somehow completely over the top but full of nuance.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

karmicknight posted:

what about the 15% of the time she is bullying rookies?

Everyone needs a hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Lid posted:

I don't know what award it can be but Miro deserves some award for something because he debuted as The Best Man and it was sort of kind of a comedy gimmick putting him with Kip but there was always this undercurrent of menace to him, and now that he's been fully unleashed it's an overcurrent of complete menace and with an intensity where in his promos he can include lines about how hot he is and make direct religious references but none of it feels like a pastiche of "religious zealot heel". He can cut astounding promos, has the best hoss body in AEW, Lana is clearly on the way, and his gimmick is so finely tuned its somehow completely over the top but full of nuance.

Best gimmick?