Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
James Talarico going into the media hyperbolic chamber basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He also said the CRT bill was dead but how'd that turn out :colbert:

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
He has nothing else to do there. No job, no kids, not even a pet. Homie should get in the weight room and come out of this like Goku

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

saw a texas house woman on NBC news yesterday reading a hastily-written speech on webcam from an office breakroom. gonna be a long four weeks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, no one is going to be paying attention by Monday.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/TxDan_Gonzalez/status/1415284906607906817

It's a fair point. There really isn't a singular, onerous provision you can point out. The Dems worked themselves into a lather over it before they saw a draft, and all their major headline objections (allowing poll watchers to record video, changing voting machine distribution to disadvantage minority districts, 1 pm early voting Sunday moratorium, overturning elections, etc) were taken out but instead of being like, well we can live with this, - I remember a quote from after the regular session quorum break from one prominent D about how if it had been the bill they sent to the Senate, they wouldn't have left, but that bill was much worse than this one - they pretended it was an all out assault on voting rights and democracy hung in the balance. Maybe that was true for SB 7 but it's not for this bill.
This is silly, just because it went from obviously bad to just sneaky bad doesn't mean it's not still death by a thousand cuts. It's still a very bad bill that doesn't at all address the complete non-issue of voter fraud that it is all couched in. What it does do is completely outlaw a number of sensible things that help expand accessibility of voting for everyone.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

This is silly, just because it went from obviously bad to just sneaky bad doesn't mean it's not still death by a thousand cuts. It's still a very bad bill that doesn't at all address the complete non-issue of voter fraud that it is all couched in. What it does do is completely outlaw a number of sensible things that help expand accessibility of voting for everyone.

Yep. It's how you erode civil rights or destroy good social welfare programs. Make a few "sensible changes" every few years until it's effectively impossible to practice your right or use that program. The Republicans are extremely skilled at doing this, and every time we're like "well this bill doesn't seem like that big of a deal, the Dems should take the L", it pushes their agenda further. They're better at the long game.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 14, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dems always take the L, it's just a matter of how long they're going to drag this out. You guys are saying this is death by a thousand cuts, they're in DC right now calling this Jim Crow 2.0 and the end of democracy. What are they going to do when they're looking at a map that gives 3-4 more seats to Republicans in October? And two of them are drawn as majority Latino districts! Republicans are better at the long game because Democrats have no long game.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Interested in an effort post about this.

If I can find my notes from that time I'll do one, but they may still be stuck at the library's computer. I do remember that an additional big part of it, however, was also trying to manage it for the unhoused who often have executive function disorders or other issues that include an inconsistent ability to meet deadlines.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Dems always take the L, it's just a matter of how long they're going to drag this out. You guys are saying this is death by a thousand cuts, they're in DC right now calling this Jim Crow 2.0 and the end of democracy. What are they going to do when they're looking at a map that gives 3-4 more seats to Republicans in October? And two of them are drawn as majority Latino districts! Republicans are better at the long game because Democrats have no long game.

It's very tiresome with your "they can't possibly win, they shouldn't even try" posting followed by "oh also look at them losing again, classic dems". Yes, they have no means to win within the mechanisms of the txlege so they're trying to push for outside intervention at the federal level.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's tiresome is listening to high minded Democratic rhetoric about voting access and elections but when it's time for actual elections, it's throat cutting time. Royce West is currently in Washington DC on a futile effort to convince federal law makers to pass a voting law that doesn't even deal with anything in the loving state bill, and less than a year ago he told all his supporters not to vote for the winner of the US Senate primary because he didn't think she was deferential enough to him in victory. Beto lost because he didn't do enough ring-kissing in the Valley. I don't know if it's factionalism or whatever Democrats are putting on the table, whether it's candidates, platform, rhetoric, whatever - it doesn't win elections. They blame vote suppression but in 2020 we had the most turnout ever, the highest rates of minority and youth voters, with a guy on the top of the ticket who is the most overtly racist, stupid, evil president in modern history and the state party didn't flip a single loving seat in the House. The only gain they made in the statehouse was the win in SD 19, which is a heavily Democratic district that they only lost due to infighting between factions in the Bexar Co Dems following the 2016 primary for that seat. It may have been different at some point, I don't know, but the legislature is a sideshow. The only wins that matters are the wins in November. There are no parliamentary maneuvers that are going to defeat a simple majority. And who's gonna be on the top of the ticket in 22? Probably some mayor who hasn't held office in 10 years or maybe a congressman (but not Joaquin Castro of course) who's gonna get blown out by double digits. In my entire adult life, the state Democrats haven't gained a single inch that wasn't granted to them by the courts. That's loving tiresome.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 14, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

finally zoux has recognized it's time to start voting from the rooftops

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I tried but I can't ever get my ballot through the slot from up there.

I don't know what the answer is. I do know things like "make a huge show about regular Texans coming out to express their voices in opposition to this Omega level threat to democracy" and then grandstand on the dais to the point that you don't even open public testimony on the bill until 1:17 am probably isn't encouraging the people who are motivated enough to actually show up. They're all loving talk and there's way too much of it.

My fear is that the answer is "the Democratic platform has to tack right on social issues to pick up voters" but I'm not sure I want to even risk testing that theory in an election. Maybe they should go left as gently caress, but then that would split off probably 15-20% of conservative Democrats, or more. Maybe Texas is just too red, and our Dems are too blue dog.

Yesterday, Biden made a big speech about voting rights, which is ostensibly part of the reason the Dems went to DC. That was the "big push". Did you know that even happened? Is it happening today? No, we've moved on.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1415391173988999174

What are the reps doing today? A bunch of photo ops with Senators that they don't need to sway.

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1415333867272216576

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 14, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's a jam, you eject and rechamber

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We get the representation that we pay for

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I still feel weird about the record high turnout meaning absolute proof of how things are going to be and the will of the people when it was still a goddamn pandemic and record high is still only 66% of registered voters and only 52% of the voting age population. The way people dismiss the argument that "we're a non-voting state" with the 2020 election, you'd think we'd had 100% of the voting age population voting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not absolute proof, but it certainly isn't evidence in favor of the proposition. And nothing in SB1/HB3 is going to demonstrably change that - they weren't going to let Harris Co. run drive thru voting and 24 hour voting next election absent the pandemic. The SoS would disallow it if the Legislature didn't.

https://twitter.com/TexasDSHS/status/1415410782347665409

Of course there may be a pandemic next election...

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 14, 2021

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
aw crap please don't chain us up to the south I can barely tolerate florida

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/greg-abbott-quorum-break-voter-restrictions/

chris hooks posted:

One thing, though, seems clear: this comes at a very bad time for Governor Greg Abbott, who was already having a pretty bad week. Abbott is facing, so far, three challengers to his right in the Republican primary for governor. The charge from his Republican opponents is that he’s feckless and weak. The quorum break, which is designed to deny passage of one of his priority pieces of legislation, fits neatly into a narrative that he is getting outfoxed by an ostensibly powerless Democratic opposition. That the narrative is largely untrue—Democrats certainly believe they got the shaft this session—doesn’t matter much.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

zoux posted:

Royce West is currently in Washington DC on a futile effort to convince federal law makers to pass a voting law that doesn't even deal with anything in the loving state bill, and less than a year ago he told all his supporters not to vote for the winner of the US Senate primary

I don't particularly like Royce but iirc this didn't happen and the truth is somehow even dumber. Unless I missed an event right at the end of that election cycle, what I remember was a bunch of dumbass media drama about how he didn't call her campaign and offer to work for the Literal Republican Who Votes And Donates Republican.

zoux posted:

I tried but I can't ever get my ballot through the slot from up there.

I don't know what the answer is. I do know things like "make a huge show about regular Texans coming out to express their voices in opposition to this Omega level threat to democracy" and then grandstand on the dais to the point that you don't even open public testimony on the bill until 1:17 am probably isn't encouraging the people who are motivated enough to actually show up. They're all loving talk and there's way too much of it.

My fear is that the answer is "the Democratic platform has to tack right on social issues to pick up voters" but I'm not sure I want to even risk testing that theory in an election. Maybe they should go left as gently caress, but then that would split off probably 15-20% of conservative Democrats, or more. Maybe Texas is just too red, and our Dems are too blue dog.

This has been their answer across the country for literally longer than I've been alive, and look where we are lmao

e: Obama got 2 terms off foreverwar, police state expansion, and telling gay people to go gently caress themselves until the courts deigned to allow equal marriage rights. Clinton got 2 while lighting the food stamp program on fire, trying to cut SS/Medicare, and jailing every black man they could find so maybe they had a point about running screaming towards the money right.

e2: this probably isn't worth a doublepost so enjoy

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 15, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I followed Royce's advice :)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Considering a job opportunity in Houston but I also like to vote. Decisions, decisions

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

What in tarnation are you doing, Hurley?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/genefortexas/status/1415510770159427586?s=21

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
That's some pretty high level posting, very impressive from a sitting state representative.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Gene’s a champion poster.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

That headline is almost certainly correct given she was literally a Cornyn donor lmao.

The direct link to the source is funnier though
https://www.statesman.com/story/new...squo/114253566/

Also holy poo poo I love Lt Dan's picture of a loving bus

https://twitter.com/DanPatrick/status/1414687405156798471?s=20

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Captain Monkey posted:

Gene’s a champion poster.

He's the best poster we have on the Dem side.

Obviously no one can compete with GOAT Trump on the right, but Rep Wu is a solid utility poster.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm half tempted to watch the Senate hearing on the new critical race theory bill because I wanna see what they think "banning it even more" looks like.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/GeneforTexas/status/1415520217992736772

He posts like.............a normal person???? But he's on the Ledge............but he posts like a normal person........... :psyboom:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
god i want to shove him into a bottomless locker

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Those glasses are serial killer chic

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
that weird conservative "12 year old in big boy clothes" aesthetic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1415705235578892291

Largely a ceremonial position anyway so I'm not sure what consequences this has besides lowering Joe Moody's prestige stat

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

*walking into warby parker* ah yes I'll have the pedophile glasses, please

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DanPatrick/status/1415783888236986369

We're only one of four states that has a supermajority quorum requirement. It's in the constitution so it would have to go to the voters, but seems like it would probably pass.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DanPatrick/status/1415783888236986369

We're only one of four states that has a supermajority quorum requirement. It's in the constitution so it would have to go to the voters, but seems like it would probably pass.

Wouldn't doing a state constitutional amendment take a lot of time and effort? Seems like a big investment of political resources for relatively small gain when all they need to do is wait the Dems out.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

Wouldn't doing a state constitutional amendment take a lot of time and effort? Seems like a big investment of political resources for relatively small gain when all they need to do is wait the Dems out.

There is nothing too petty that they'd consider it a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

It also requires a 2/3s vote so