Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Is there an add-on to get FTP and gopher support back?

FTP can be better handled by other programs, perhaps, but Firefox was easier. Gopher, I don't know who does gopher anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

not sure if this is a firefox issue, but I'm using it on a mac, and recently if I have any audio pages open (like soundcloud in my case), if I turn on my bluetooth receiver the audio will automatically start playing, which is super annoying. I have "block audio and video" for all websites under the autoplay settings but that doesn't help. Any ideas?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Dr. Nick
: Hi, everybody!
SA Crowd: Hi, Dr. Nick!
Dr. Nick: Good new! That about :config setting "browser.proton.enable" still works for Firefox 90.0!
SA Crowd: Yay!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Updated and had a couple of rendering issues when switching between tabs or zooming in/out of an image where the old and new are overlapping but I'm sure that'll patch out in a few days or something.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Szmitten: Mmmmm updates... D'oh!

Mozilla: Thank you, come again!

Mozilla CEO: Excellent.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Updates breaking poo poo / removing or downgrading features is more like

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Firefox 91 beta supports Windows SSO. Corporate users rejoice.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nalin posted:

Firefox 91 beta supports Windows SSO. Corporate users rejoice.
Ooh, neat, and that's the next ESR version too apparently. I was afraid us ESR users were going to have to wait another year for it to catch up.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is it 'safe' to update, i.e. can I get it to look like what it used to look like, or will I be disappointed no matter how many about:config settings I enable/disable? I'm still on 88.0.1

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

PirateBob posted:

Is it 'safe' to update, i.e. can I get it to look like what it used to look like, or will I be disappointed no matter how many about :config settings I enable/disable? I'm still on 88.0.1

90^ disables the ability to change how the tabs look. You'll need to rely on userChrome.css. Upgrade with caution.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Or you know, realize that a slight change of UI appearance is not the end of the world.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

KozmoNaut posted:

Or you know, realize that a slight change of UI appearance is not the end of the world.

I hope someone moves your toothbrush every few days.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Armauk posted:

90^ disables the ability to change how the tabs look. You'll need to rely on userChrome.css. Upgrade with caution.

That's been pushed back at least one version, 90 is fine. If you're using browser.proton.enabled false to keep the old look, be sure to turn on telemetry for this month so that Mozilla can see you did so. (settings -> privacy & security -> Allow Firefox to send technical etc)

KozmoNaut posted:

Duly noted: forums user KozmoNaut will never complain about software again, unless it responsible for the end of the world. (So bitcoin counts I guess.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Serephina posted:

And changes the labels on all your stuff so it's just slightly different.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:allears:

It's such an incredibly tiny change overall, but "oh no, my precious meticulously customized workflow! Without it I am completely unable to function" seems to be the refrain in IT.

I get it, change is scary, but all software sees UI changes over time. Part of working with IT is an ability to adapt and adjust, or at least it used to be. If I insisted on the exact same experience as ~18 years ago, I would still be using Win2K and a CRT.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

:allears:

It's such an incredibly tiny change overall, but "oh no, my precious meticulously customized workflow! Without it I am completely unable to function" seems to be the refrain in IT.

I get it, change is scary, but all software sees UI changes over time. Part of working with IT is an ability to adapt and adjust, or at least it used to be. If I insisted on the exact same experience as ~18 years ago, I would still be using Win2K and a CRT.

Change is good when it's thought out and has a purpose. It's bad when it's less good to the majority of people that use it daily, and all feedback is ignored.

Personally, aside from the over-large tabs and the unneeded gap underneath, the biggest issue I had was that the default theme didn't recognize the desktop color for active/inactive title bars. It made it nearly impossible to tell which window and tab was focused.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I honestly don't think a majority of the people who use Firefox daily, think the latest UI changes are particularly offensive.

The minority that are very loud, though.

I didn't notice the title bar thing, to be honest. I've always had standard title bars switched on, because I dislike tabs etc. there.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I can live with the new style, but if Mozilla had asked me I would have told them it was dumb and ugly. Unfortunately, Mozilla does not seem to be in the habit of asking anyone their opinions when it comes to UI changes.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

isndl posted:

I can live with the new style, but if Mozilla had asked me I would have told them it was dumb and ugly. Unfortunately, Mozilla does not seem to be in the habit of asking anyone their opinions when it comes to UI changes.

And thank loving god for that, I've seen what people like and it's horrendous

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I honestly don't think a majority of the people who use Firefox daily, think the latest UI changes are particularly offensive.

The minority that are very loud, though.

I didn't notice the title bar thing, to be honest. I've always had standard title bars switched on, because I dislike tabs etc. there.

The other important question is whether there's a significant fraction of people that think it's a particularly good change.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ILikeVoltron posted:

And thank loving god for that, I've seen what people like and it's horrendous

Early 2000s Linux desktop screenshots.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

KozmoNaut posted:

Citation needed

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Every screenshot on this site: http://www.xwinman.org/

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Serephina posted:

Or replaces it with a toilet brush.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

Speaking of, on Linux Firefox is still using GTK for menus, tabs, and all other window elements, but Proton for the internal pop-ups, making everything look really mismatched and ugly. But us Linux users are pretty accustomed to that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm using FreeBSD as a desktop, but prefer a simple tiling window manger and maximizing every program on its own workspace so there are as few elements taking up screen space as possible.

My biggest issue with Proton isn't that they made a new framework, it's that they haven't actually made it any better.
The new design is just as awful as the old one, it just takes up more vertical space - meaning there's less room for, you know, the viewport which is where what the web browser is supposed to display the thing it's made to display.

EDIT: What I mean is, I don't care that they've moved things around - I don't use my mouse to navigate anything but the actual webpage (when I'm not using caret browsing - yes, I'm the one person still using that) - but again, there's less of that than before, and for absolutely no reason given.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 15, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

KozmoNaut posted:

Every screenshot on this site: http://www.xwinman.org/

Aww Winamp, it really whips the llama's rear end. That took me back, thank you.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Aww Winamp, it really whips the llama's rear end. That took me back, thank you.
Fun fact: The Internet Archive implemented a Winamp-skin-compatible music player in JavaScript

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

drat, that really whips the llama's rear end.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I still use WinAmp on my desktop

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I know I'm in good company when we still have winamp on our desktop computers.

I finally gave in to the update and man, not even disabling proton is fixing the ugly. Everything is grey now and there's a blue highlight border on text fields when you're typing in them, like when you're posting. This poo poo is so annoying.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The blue focus highlight border was there before, but it's darker/more noticeable now.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ever since updating to version 90 my tab bar scrolls 6 tabs per scroll wheel tick. It used to do 3 and now it's way too fast.

Does anyone know how to adjust this without loving up the scroll behavior in the rest of Windows?

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Mine's just a totally blank white screen now. Disabled proton in about:config but it didn't work. At least I think I did, literally can't see what I'm doing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Geemer posted:

Ever since updating to version 90 my tab bar scrolls 6 tabs per scroll wheel tick. It used to do 3 and now it's way too fast.

Does anyone know how to adjust this without loving up the scroll behavior in the rest of Windows?

In about :config, search for mousewheel.min_line_scroll_amount and mess around with the value until you get what you want.

FWIW, mine's on 38.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

In about :config, search for mousewheel.min_line_scroll_amount and mess around with the value until you get what you want.

FWIW, mine's on 38.

Thanks, unfortunately that doesn't appear to do much of anything for me.
Whether I change it from the default of 5 to 1 or to 5000 or anything in between it just scrolls the same amount. I even tried restarting the browser between changes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Are you using a Logitech mouse?

If so, I suppose you could have app specific settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eooF3WDQ1A8

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'll have to look into if that'll work with my ancient mouse, thanks for the suggestion!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozilla PR: Ok people!

You need to stop posting in bugzilla about things that you want or don't want. We have a new community site where you can submit and upvote feedback! Our devs will be paying lots of attention to it.

ghacks: ...

... So how's that going?

CEO Mitchell Baker:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
update notification doesn't link to the release notes anymore, that's the kind of little thing that rings my sus alarm