Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Never touch flood water, ever.

Instructions unclear, drank subway water, please advise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

This is incredibly satisfying to watch

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So all those trucks at the 11'8 coulda fit if somebody would just courtesy flush the road

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Altenburg, Germany, B/A flooding.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
So every building in that town is a write-off, right?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

At least 42 dead in Germany and 6 in Belgium.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Put the image the other way around.

“That’s not a marina.”

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Seems like a bad idea to put a town in the bottom of a drainage basin.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
There's other kinds of ideas?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

There's other kinds of ideas?

Sure, we can put a town on a toxic land fill, or up a narrow winding road in a dry windy forest, or a tidal basin!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SirPablo posted:

Seems like a bad idea to put a town in the bottom of a drainage basin.

yeah it sure is bizarre that a city might be located within a river's floodplain, how unusual

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Oh no my poorly placed cities.

Next you'll be crying for Miami being swallowed by the ocean.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

another heat advisory and air quality alert in nyc

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SirPablo posted:

no one'll cry about miami

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Miami seems like a fun city to be rich and/or attractive in.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

The Bootleg fire in Oregon is currently the largest in the country and this was a fun description:

Check out this incredible sunset photo from earlier tonight of the #BootlegFire burning in Klamath and Lake Counties. Fire behavior this afternoon and evening was easily the MOST extreme yet for this wildfire. The fire produced this huge pyrocumulonimbus cloud that shot over 40,000 feet into the sky. The National Weather Service recorded that this cloud did produce one in-cloud lightning strike around 8 PM. There's also been clear rotation seen from radar in this pyrocumulonimbus cloud. That also signifies extreme fire behavior and even some possible fire whirls (fire tornadoes).

The Bootleg Fire is still producing some very extreme fire behavior tonight. There is concern that as fire activity wanes overnight, the column could collapse and create strong winds at the surface. This collapse of the fire column can put fire crews in great danger. We'll be watching this wildfire closely overnight. I'm quite scared to see the update on acreage in the morning. This fire has likely grown significantly. The question will be did it burn more than the ~50,000 acres in a day that was posted from Monday into Tuesday. Tune into our future newscasts for updates on this fire, fire weather conditions and your smoke forecast.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

oh it’s gonna be okay, mayor has opened public pools until 8pm

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Did you take that? It's stunning.

Fires are terrible this year. I rented a cabin up the Umpqua river for a few days in late August because my parents are visiting from the east coast and I want to give my step-dad a chance to fly-fish and my mom really wants to see crater lake. Anyway, now there's a fire right on the edge of where I rented the cabin, lmao, and while I don't think the place looks like it's going to burn down and I think they'll hopefully have the fire under control by then, I doubt they'll have the highway reopened which oops now it's a 3 and half hour drive to crater lake instead of a 50 minute drive...

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think they'll hopefully have the fire under control by then

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SirPablo posted:

idk man you kinda just sound like a moron in this thread

(most cities on the planet are found within a river's floodplain, it's kind of a whole thing with human habitation)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

fair enough

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Did you take that? It's stunning.

Nah, but I did breathe in that smoke when I was on Mount Ashland this weekend.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

idk man you kinda just sound like a moron in this thread

(most cities on the planet are found within a river's floodplain, it's kind of a whole thing with human habitation)

Thanks.

Not like cities have ever been built in less than ideal locations throughout history...

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Ive never experienced any kind of extreme weather event, I feel like I’m missing out but also havent had myself or friends or family and all our possessions disappear. It did hail huge chunks of ice which was pretty cool

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

smug jeebus posted:

So every building in that town is a write-off, right?

Nah we traditionally build with bricks, they'll be fine unless the foundations are washed away or the structure was struck with too much force by heavy debris.
Wooden doors etc need to be replaced of course, and you'll need to let the buildings dry out. Ideally with mineral-bound restoration render/plaster.
It's still a tremendous PITA and the lingering raw sewage smells can be.. unpleasant for a while.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mistermojo posted:

Ive never experienced any kind of extreme weather event, I feel like I’m missing out but also havent had myself or friends or family and all our possessions disappear. It did hail huge chunks of ice which was pretty cool
Speaking as someone who has lived through a Category 5 hurricane direct hit you aren’t missing anything

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

mistermojo posted:

I experienced the Texas winter storm and was without power for several days, it wasn’t that interesting

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

mistermojo posted:

You're experience the earth melt.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
hineni hineni

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1415765187446116354
https://twitter.com/LeonieBremer1/status/1415643066552176642
https://twitter.com/xryouthcambs/status/1415781381289005069
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1415683692173819913
https://twitter.com/WeDontHaveTime/status/1415712151780663298

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
EVERYTHING IS FINE

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's not that bad. Yet.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mistermojo posted:

It's p cool right up until your basement starts filling with water or your entire local area is without power and roads are impassable for days, sure

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
not having electricity for like a week after a bad hurricane sucks complete rear end

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mistermojo posted:

I had both of the trees in my front yard as a kid ripped up in one night to straight line winds / a derecho.

It sucked rear end. One of them also fell on our car.

cannot recommend F-- would not shop again.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
No electricity is manageable, but I'm not sure how I'd do without running water.

When I was 12 I happened to be inside a hospital as it was stuck by a tornado. We were sheltered in the underground parking garage, but I was so scared I had a religious experience.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
you can generally take a lukewarm shower but the water won't be safe to drink without boiling it

and you'll want to shower because after a hurricane it's gonna be hot and humid as hell, and you'll probably be covered in sweat and bugs. there's a reason everyone's drunk at hurricane parties after a big storm, it's miserable being out in that constantly

we had friends who lost power for months after katrina, they ended up having to replace their fridge

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Experienced what happens when it rains 17" in 24 hours as a kid, would not recommend

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OK baizuo posted:

Experienced what happens when it rains 17" in 24 hours as a kid, would not recommend

Yea it owned I "borrowed" a boat.

Source4Leko has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Jul 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

mistermojo posted:

I got hit by that North Dallas EF 3 a few years ago, the worst part was losing power for a few days but I think it was only maybe a strong EF 1 when it hit me. I was home with my girlfriend while following the storm and watching chaser streams on twitter listening for street names (Thank you Jeff P). I looked out of the window where I thought it should have been coming from and saw an um… alarming amount of power flashes but no funnel since it was rain wrapped. The power went out a second or two later as me and my girlfriend immediately scooped up our cat and got into the bathroom. It mostly sounded like a waterfall, with stuff hitting the building. My building was fine minus a shitload of shingles, a few gutters, and the sheet metal roof of the car park. It was more of a severe annoyance than anything scary or particularly interesting.