Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lid posted:

I don't know what award it can be but Miro deserves some award for something because he debuted as The Best Man and it was sort of kind of a comedy gimmick putting him with Kip but there was always this undercurrent of menace to him, and now that he's been fully unleashed it's an overcurrent of complete menace and with an intensity where in his promos he can include lines about how hot he is and make direct religious references but none of it feels like a pastiche of "religious zealot heel". He can cut astounding promos, has the best hoss body in AEW, Lana is clearly on the way, and his gimmick is so finely tuned its somehow completely over the top but full of nuance.

He needed to wear gucci and stream CoD WarZone so he could fully form as a GTA character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lamuella posted:

The "Magical Girl" act can be odd the first time you see it. The best way to contextualise it for me is to remember that it is an act. She's trying to be this sweet noisy cute ball of positivity, and 95% of the time she is.

And then 5% of the time a switch gets flipped and things like this happen:

Forgot one thing about this gif. Yuka knew that her opponent, Miyu Yamashita, was sensitive about her chin, so she created and trained with a whole new move purely to get that one boot to her jaw.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Miro is the best all around performer in AEW right now, I will stand by this until he stops cutting perfect one-minute promos every week

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

What a fuckin' show. We were basically sitting opposite the hardcam but probably out of range of the cameras, so we had a really good view of the action. Though I'm not sure if there's a bad seat in that arena because it's pretty compact.

We were in line behind the Boys & Girls Club and those kids were fuckin' STOKED to see some wrestling.

Very cool to see Starks get such a huge reaction and win a belt in Austin. He was always such a nice and humble dude when he would drop into the AAPW school so it's double fun to see him succeed and become a the key part of Team Taz.

There was a kid a few rows in front of us absolutely jamming to Jungle Boy's theme and it was made even better because he was wearing the "I'm not tranquilo, Im fuckin' crazy" t-shirt.

Lots of good and fun stuff on Dark & Elevation, and as a guy originally from the northeast who spent a good chunk of time in Pennsylvania, it's always sweet to see people like Bryce and Eddie succeed, especially with Eddie getting the spot of the "go out and send the crowd home happy" guy.

Just a great night of wrestling.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Miro has this incredible thing where in the span of one promo, he'll go from thinly being civil to inventing a reason you've offended him and must die. But it's okay because he forgives you

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Miro knows exactly what he's doing and exactly where he's going. Not in a "I wore yellow socks in this video to symbolise the moral cowardice of the Holy Roman Empire" way, but in the way where he knows the Miro character at a bone deep level, he knows where he wants Miro to be, and every step he takes is a natural step towards it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

4) When did Matt Hardy get normal? I miss weird Matt Hardy

I think Matt found being broken depressing with absolutely no crowd. He literally put out a youtube video called "the refocusing of matt hardy" where he said "I'm normal now". So he dusted off his old Big Money Matt character and started signing talent to contracts where he gets 30% of their income. Started off with Private Party, then Butcher and the Blade, then TH2. On Dark he's just signed Indian wrestler Jora Johl to act as bag carrier.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jackie D posted:

Best gimmick?

Weirdly even though I ended by talking about his gimmick that slipped my mind because... it feels shockingly real? Like I know the best gimmicks are yourself turned up to 11, but Miro's gimmick feels like a real existing person with layers that stands out as its really hard to describe Miro in the "explain to a stranger their character in one sentence" without feeling like you're selling him short - "hypocritical narcissistic religious sociopathic fake-charm monster" is the best I can do, and fake charm doesn't apply because its clear he truly believes he does forgive those he kills, and the hypocrisy stuff isn't like Jericho's where he says stuff that is clearly meant to be wink nudge hypocrisy it just exists that he is a Good Christian who is a murderous lustful beast with absolutely no self-doubt or self-analysis. It's true psychopathy and sociopathy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Miro's a big bully that's what he is. Just like those dreadful gentlemen who hassled Tully.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

projecthalaxy posted:

Miro's a big bully that's what he is. Just like those dreadful gentlemen who hassled Tully.

I love that Tully got the last word on that promo. Just ratchet up the intensity on this feud

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Lid posted:

Weirdly even though I ended by talking about his gimmick that slipped my mind because... it feels shockingly real? Like I know the best gimmicks are yourself turned up to 11, but Miro's gimmick feels like a real existing person with layers that stands out as its really hard to describe Miro in the "explain to a stranger their character in one sentence" without feeling like you're selling him short - "hypocritical narcissistic religious sociopathic fake-charm monster" is the best I can do

I’ve been going with “The extremely intense man you meet in a nightclub smoking area” and that seems to get the message across to people. The kind of guy who is initially friendly but you want to get away from them as quick as possible because you know saying the wrong thing will lead to a beating

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

gently caress that old white man - wish they kicked his rear end for what he did to K-Dawg.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lol that Miro's gimmick is now literally "I sucked for eight months, then I redeemed myself" after everybody spent so long trying to defend that detritus.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Davros1 posted:

I love that Tully got the last word on that promo. Just ratchet up the intensity on this feud

I feel like its going to another Parking Lot Brawl like their banger with the Best Friends

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Three things every wise man fears:

1. The sea in a storm
2. A night with no moon
3. The anger of a gentle man Miro.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

His current gimmick wouldn't work without his previous "Best Man" role. It added a layer of depth and dimension that "The Redeemer" needed.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

MJeff posted:

Lol that Miro's gimmick is now literally "I sucked for eight months, then I redeemed myself" after everybody spent so long trying to defend that detritus.

I think he was in WWE for longer than 8 months.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

Sorry you didn't enjoy his really fun gimmick that got increasingly psychotic as time went on.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Davros1 posted:

His current gimmick wouldn't work without his previous "Best Man" role. It added a layer of depth and dimension that "The Redeemer" needed.

I agree, if he came in trying to just layer nuance in from the get go with a tell-not-show way (in this case being Miro clearly under the surface being an unhinged psychopath behind the video games and expensive clothing and we all slow burn waited for it to come out)... he would be Malachi Black.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What terms do I need to put into the apple store to find the drat all elite gm game?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TV Zombie posted:

What terms do I need to put into the apple store to find the drat all elite gm game?

https://twitter.com/RefAubrey/status/1415683699857928192?s=19

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Imagine being a weirdo not digging Miro

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you want to argue that Miro doing a more low key gimmick and palling around with Kip Sabian and feuding with the Best Friends added a bit of depth while they waited to play out all of Darby's stories with the TNT title, fine. Be my guest.

If you want to argue that this required Billy Mitchell and pajamas and all the rest of that total garbage, no! It stunk. And now Miro has confirmed it loving stunk. God's favorite champion has delivered the good word to God's favorite posters, the ones who know that the garbage was garbage. Long may he reign.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Also Miro's debut match in AEW was a complete disaster but no one remembers that. Also it was only 9 months ago, he hasn't even been here a year yet.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

MJeff posted:

I’ll continue to defend it since it seems a pretty integral part of getting to the character he is now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

If you want to argue that Miro doing a more low key gimmick and palling around with Kip Sabian and feuding with the Best Friends added a bit of depth while they waited to play out all of Darby's stories with the TNT title, fine. Be my guest.

If you want to argue that this required Billy Mitchell and pajamas and all the rest of that total garbage, no! It stunk. And now Miro has confirmed it loving stunk. God's favorite champion has delivered the good word to God's favorite posters, the ones who know that the garbage was garbage. Long may he reign.

Miro wearing designer clothes and doing funny stuff was good. Him getting increasingly unhinged while still doing things like calling Chuck Taylor "Charles" was great. Him being an unstoppable beast which took 3 babyfaces to control in Arcade Anarchy was great.

Lid posted:

Also Miro's debut match in AEW was a complete disaster but no one remembers that. Also it was only 9 months ago, he hasn't even been here a year yet.

A sloppy tag is hardly a complete disaster.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I like the version of "hey check out my monster I brought in"->"Augggh someone get this monster off me!!!!" they told with Kip Sabian better than the Jake Roberts version.

although again, I actually like what's become of the Jake Roberts/Lance Archer relationship.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Miro needed to work himself back up to speed, it has to be tough going back to professional wrestling after so many years away.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

tao of lmao posted:

I’ll continue to defend it since it seems a pretty integral part of getting to the character he is now.

Maybe its just me being overly sensitive to language but the other thing is he is Miro The Redeemer, not Miro The Redeemed. In his promos he talks about freely forgiving those he murders in his path as God's Chosen. It's he views them as needing redemption, not himself, as they are in the way of Literally God's Will and thus he redeems them with forgiveness by killing them for the audacity of taking on God's Chosen Champion.

Jonny Nox posted:

I like the version of "hey check out my monster I brought in"->"Augggh someone get this monster off me!!!!" they told with Kip Sabian better than the Jake Roberts version.

although again, I actually like what's become of the Jake Roberts/Lance Archer relationship.

The weeks of Miro looking for Kip and saying "I just want to talk to you" were so loving great because you knew what was coming and knew it was going to be glorious.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Miro slowly going batshit insane was awesome the bad Billy Mitchell thing was literally one angle

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

MJeff posted:

I liked Miro then. I like Miro now.

I like Miro :shrug:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Billy Mitchell was on screen for less time than it took me to write this post.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I laughed so hard when Billy Mitchell popped up on screen, I appreciate it when people remind me of that skit.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Yeah, Twitch fuckboy Miro had uncomfortable moments where the facade dropped, revealing the monster. So I'm pretty sure the whole Best Man thing was an intentional part of the Miro character we see today as opposed to Miro making up for a bad gimmick.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I love the Miro stuff because the first few months had him lower in the card, working a softer character because he had just spent years upon years in a grinder that makes you forget what wrestling is and it's okay to take it slow immediately after as you build something greater. Tommy End makes sense since his body wasn't put on a grinder for the past year and he is pretty much just doing exactly what he's been trying to get done for a year. Meanwhile Andrade was on the same boat as Miro and is coming off the gate unprepared.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Rarity posted:

Miro slowly going batshit insane was awesome the bad Billy Mitchell thing was literally one angle

no it ruined everything, don't you see

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MorningMoon posted:

I love the Miro stuff because the first few months had him lower in the card, working a softer character because he had just spent years upon years in a grinder that makes you forget what wrestling is and it's okay to take it slow immediately after as you build something greater. Tommy End makes sense since his body wasn't put on a grinder for the past year and he is pretty much just doing exactly what he's been trying to get done for a year. Meanwhile Andrade was on the same boat as Miro and is coming off the gate unprepared.

Tommy End also sat in a closet for a year instead of being turned into a total loser, so it's not really a problem to bring him to your show and do whatever with him. Miro got booked really badly in WWE. It's not a bad idea to do some fun comedy and let him become his own guy instead of just making the jobber on the other show a total killer right away.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Miro told us a story about a guy who had a hot wife, who was flexible. Also, the guy was hot as well.

What more do you EVER need?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

enigmahfc posted:

no it ruined everything, don't you see

The speedrunning community will never forgive AEW for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

For anyone who went last night what was the AEW Dark situation? Did they film it before? My tickets for next week say it starts at 6pm but IDK if that's doors or actual show time.