Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

You do have a point though. I legit had to explain that Al Murray was playing a character to an American with 140 IQ the other week.
I mean yes, but you also have an additional layer to that, which is the comedian who created / plays the character and functionally uses the same name in public life: He has an ooc twitter account which has, since Corbyn, started posting slightly derranged things that wouldn't be entirely out of place in an Al Murray bit.

E: I mean it's possible his whole 'Corbyn is antisemitic' derrangement was a bit, but at a certain point the satirist has to realise that the subtlety failure lies with them, and not the people taking it at face value. Like qanon berks insisting that the racism is a joke to own libs, it's just a 'joke' that they follow through to the point that their movement is materially indistinguishable from white supremacy, up to and including an 'ironic' storming of the capitol.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've found it. The hottest take:

Those are words but not in a recognisably coherent order, gently caress..... i'm getting old & crotchety. :corsair:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'm sure I recall something about Al Murray saying if he had realised 'the pub landlord' would become such a big character he'd give him another name.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Do we wait until people are dead or just go for it?

We've got cliffs here so you could just have a big slide you go in that lops your head off and then toasts you on the way down.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
There's a big scary spike in cases and it's worth reminding everyone that it's because of the finals and not necessarily a trend.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

We've got cliffs here so you could just have a big slide you go in that lops your head off and then toasts you on the way down.
Imagine three bouge on the edge of a cliff

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Szmitten posted:

There's a big scary spike in cases and it's worth reminding everyone that it's because of the finals
Not seen anything like it since https://bjgp.org/content/bjgp/13/3/297.full.pdf

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

I mean they actually just numerically recreated the Christmas spike.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that what that guy was doing off his keys?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Szmitten posted:

I mean they actually just numerically recreated the Christmas spike.
Yes, but you're not allowed to reference anything to do with England at a final without claiming that you haven't seen anything like it since 1966. It's one of the rules of association football.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jiggerypokery posted:

You do have a point though. I legit had to explain that Al Murray was playing a character to an American with 140 IQ the other week.

Anyone else old enough to remember the Spike Milligan Q series?
Sitting in the tv room in our halls of residence back in 1979 - before Entitled Youths Of Today with their fancy individual tvs and phones etc :corsair: :bahgawd: - trying to explain to an American visitor who was saying 'this is so amateurish it wouldn't be allowed on tv in the States' that it was MEANT to be like it is and a lot of Brits found it hilarious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone else old enough to remember the Spike Milligan Q series?
Sitting in the tv room in our halls of residence back in 1979 - before Entitled Youths Of Today with their fancy individual tvs and phones etc :corsair: :bahgawd: - trying to explain to an American visitor who was saying 'this is so amateurish it wouldn't be allowed on tv in the States' that it was MEANT to be like it is and a lot of Brits found it hilarious.

Not old enough to have watched it, but old enough to know of it. I also have a copy of every surviving Goon Show somewhere.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

'this is so amateurish it wouldn't be allowed on tv in the States'
That aged well given that the 80s was famous for extremely amateurish public access cable (and slightly less amateurish short range UHF) television in the US, that then spawned its own pastiches in the 90s.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

Not old enough to have watched it, but old enough to know of it. I also have a copy of every surviving Goon Show somewhere.

I wasn't a Goon Show fan, but I do have The Men from The Ministry, All Gas and Gaiters, and a pile of Tony Hancock downloads. (I had them all on cassette until very recently - this year! - but nothing to play them on so I found them online.) I did have a Much Binding in the Marsh but I don't know what happened to that.

Old radio shows available here:

https://www.radioechoes.com/

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 15, 2021

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Is the UK still speedrunning covid suicide?

How can you gently caress up your save like that?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Mrl17D8y8

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

skewetoo posted:

Is the UK still speedrunning covid suicide?

How can you gently caress up your save like that?

The save has been a write off for centuries.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1415702759253450755

wtf

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's less speedrunning and more just a half assed kill everyone run, in that not everyone is dead and also they are not really trying very hard just killing lots of people when they feel like it.

It lacks either the commitment or the technical impressiveness of really committed mass murder.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Sad news:

https://twitter.com/Sarah_Woolley/status/1415702888089784324

Dawn was a good 'un, probably best known for her absolutely scathing takedown of Tom Watson in the Guardian, which also happened to be the last time the Guardian published her for some reason :thunk:.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Extremely sad news I'm afraid.

https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1415702759253450755

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Holy poo poo, I don't think she was even 30 yet!

That's awful, she'd been suffering with bad health for a while and had always been good humoured about it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

That's sad about Dawn Foster :( She seemed to be a good egg. I had no idea she was ill.

Her last tweet seems to be 9th July.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

stev posted:

The save has been a write off for centuries.

If you read the fiction of that era it’s a running theme that in the 1940s-1950s people were hyper aware their children and grandchildren were being spoiled and pandered to, and just didn’t care because of all the poo poo they went through in the war.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't know she was unwell, that sucks.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Dawn was sound. This is truly awful news 😞

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ah gently caress, Dawn. :( One of the good ones.

On her Twitter she'd been talking constantly for ages about how she's been in and out of hospital with seizures. I didn't see this coming though.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jfc that's a tragedy

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
that's an absolutely loving horrific loss, gently caress

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm feeling my own dumb hot take arising about 'parody' that sails too close to just repeating dumb / bigoted content without bothering to add a joke, but irony's not really my strong suit, so maybe this is fine for most people and I just don't get it.

I've started to think about that slightly unspoken take of yours, since I saw Americans on reddit demanding people post "/s" on really obvious sarcasm in UK subs. Even with their being an ostensibly English speaking nation, they struggle to read our irony. When you start operating on multiple levels of irony, you're posting content that will be enjoyed sincerely by most of the internet. People like dril take it to a surreal level that kinda transcends what I'm talking about.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
gently caress, hearing about Dawn really got to me. She was cool on Twitter, she seemed lovely. I just donated to that dogs trust thing in her name as per the request.

Didn’t think I would be that emotionally invested in just someone I follow on Twitter ffs but I actually cried. She was a good person.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
:smith: That is awful. Genuinely loving terrible.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I've started to think about that slightly unspoken take of yours, since I saw Americans on reddit demanding people post "/s" on really obvious sarcasm in UK subs. Even with their being an ostensibly English speaking nation, they struggle to read our irony. When you start operating on multiple levels of irony, you're posting content that will be enjoyed sincerely by most of the internet. People like dril take it to a surreal level that kinda transcends what I'm talking about.

I've found most of my American friends on FB take things VERY literally and if any of us Brits post something that almost every other Brit would recognize as sarcasm/irony, they get completely confused. (These are American friends I know from Real Life not just random 'friend of friends' that I've picked up).
I do have one Brit friend the same - she's given up on FB because she just can't detect it at all and it confuses the heck out of her.
I've taken to trying to remember to write 'joke' or 'sarcasm' if I make those kind of posts. (A lot of people I know would not have any idea what /s means).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

Ah gently caress, Dawn. :( One of the good ones.

On her Twitter she'd been talking constantly for ages about how she's been in and out of hospital with seizures. I didn't see this coming though.

She managed to make it all sound almost fun, though. What a wonderful person she was, and what a loving disgrace it is that the universe should put her through this poo poo and take her away.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I'm normally not that concerned when public figures die but I feel really lovely about this. I admired Dawn: she was warm and human and never showed any self-pity with her sickness and hospitalisations. And she was so young as well.

Urgh, I'm having a drink.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That's just awful!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, I'm normally not that concerned when public figures die but I feel really lovely about this.
Same.

willie_dee posted:

I just donated to that dogs trust thing in her name as per the request.
Same (good catch).

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Well, that sucks. My finest moment on Twitter was when I had Dawn do the "this website is free" thing about me making fun of a Tory and Michael Rosen retweet a joke about cum on the same day. Stopped posting after that because I'm never topping it.

Seriously, she was one of the best people on that hell site and I'm going to miss her.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
That's really terrible news. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://twitter.com/jimcaris/status/1415707996303335427?s=21