Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TenementFunster posted:

holy poo poo Oswald's marksmanship/luck. dude *ripped* those shots on a moving, obscured target at a weird angle with a real clunker of a rifle. marine or no marine, that's an incredible feat.

It was 90 yards away, and only the third shot was a fatal hit. I could hit a 6-inch target from 100 yards on my first day shooting a rifle.

The exact alignment that caused one bullet to hit JFK and then hit Connally three times was a huge fluke, but it's not especially pertinent to the assassination. The aftermath, like the internal investigation that suspected a rogue FBI agent told Oswald to do it, is the interesting part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Chamale posted:

It was 90 yards away, and only the third shot was a fatal hit. I could hit a 6-inch target from 100 yards on my first day shooting a rifle.
cool. how fast was it moving and how many stories up were you? how quickly where you working the bolt and making follow-up shots?

bedpan posted:

The rifle the SS guy is carrying is an ArmaLite manufactured AR-15. It may have been an early enough model in the ArmaLite production run to still have the safety as originally designed. The safety was redesigned for later models because the original safety was too easy to accidentally deactivate.
all the super early AR-15s with the middle "safe" position i've seen were prototypes, and Armalite sold off the AR design to Colt in 1959. the rifle pictured is probably a Colt Model 601, and all the Colt rifles had the left "safe" position.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the exact window and area where oswald was allegedly sitting is today sealed inside a giant glass box, but having been up there and looking out the next window, it's immediately apparent how close kennedy would've been and not really moving at much of an angle relative to the position. for a rifle like that, it would've been practically point blank. i think i could've probably at least winged him once and i wasn't even in the marines.

oswald was definitely an op though

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Either way, in the end, he got domed from the grassy knoll so w/e.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the exact window and area where oswald was allegedly sitting is today sealed inside a giant glass box, but having been up there and looking out the next window, it's immediately apparent how close kennedy would've been and not really moving at much of an angle relative to the position. for a rifle like that, it would've been practically point blank. i think i could've probably at least winged him once and i wasn't even in the marines.

listen, all i'm saying is i spent a LOT of time playing JFK Reloaded, and

also oswald fired after kennedy's car made the turn, not while he was making the turn

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

While that’s possible, I think someone would have seen the muzzle flash from JFK’s car, or even the car in front of it. A fireball from an AR is hard to miss.

Though SS agents had spent a lot of time talking about how much they’d jump out of the way if Kennedy was a target. They aren’t exactly a liberal bunch.

TenementFunster posted:

cool. how fast was it moving and how many stories up were you? how quickly where you working the bolt and making follow-up shots?

all the super early AR-15s with the middle "safe" position i've seen were prototypes, and Armalite sold off the AR design to Colt in 1959. the rifle pictured is probably a Colt Model 601, and all the Colt rifles had the left "safe" position.

thanks for these comments. SS shooting JFK is my fav theory

nut
Jul 30, 2019

https://twitter.com/KBULTRA0/status/1415593204401979392?s=20

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the most obvious JFK stuff is how obviously CIA-connected oswald was imo. there's no credible case to be made for him just being a nut, he's very clearly an intelligence-connected guy. idk about bullets and all that stuff, but just the background and behaviour of the alleged perpetrator stinks of US intelligence

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

hey, this guy who just got a very hard-to-come-by leave under suspicious circumstances defected to the soviet union with potential information about The Most Sensitive Espionage Project

no biggie he can come home whenever, no need to debrief him

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Carcanos were not junker rifles. Also, the accuracy tests people did with them were mostly done in the 90s after the war surplus ammo had another 3 decades to degrade, so of course none of the shots people took then were any good.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I will say I spent some time looking into the Kennedy Assissnation solely from the perspective of where were the shots fired from, not who did it or why were the shots fired and I solidly believe he was shot from the schoolbook depository. Did Oswald do it or why? No idea.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

V. Illych L. posted:

hey, this guy who just got a very hard-to-come-by leave under suspicious circumstances defected to the soviet union with potential information about The Most Sensitive Espionage Project

no biggie he can come home whenever, no need to debrief him

Also the fact that everywhere he went in life he lived near or was treated by people connected to MKUltra experiments. When he was locked up, he tried to call a spook who lived in North Carolina with his phonecall.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

also, way overdue but i finally listened to parts 1 and 2 of ghost stories for the end of the world on brabant killers and it's unreal, it's like a movie. The suspect sketches genuinely look like concept art for an anime. Bless ups 2 ghost for it.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

nut posted:

also, way overdue but i finally listened to parts 1 and 2 of ghost stories for the end of the world on brabant killers and it's unreal, it's like a movie. The suspect sketches genuinely look like concept art for an anime. Bless ups 2 ghost for it.

Cheers. There's a Wackenhut connection to Brabant too which you might be interested in - Westland New Post we're trained by Wackenhut's Brussels director.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

gh0stpinballa posted:

Also the fact that everywhere he went in life he lived near or was treated by people connected to MKUltra experiments. When he was locked up, he tried to call a spook who lived in North Carolina with his phonecall.

just about everything about oswald's life is incredibly suspect. there's just so much stuff there, and while most of the isolated cases could be explained away imo the bizarre un-defection story and complete lack of follow-up at the height of the cold war is simply going too far

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Source4Leko posted:

Carcanos were not junker rifles. Also, the accuracy tests people did with them were mostly done in the 90s after the war surplus ammo had another 3 decades to degrade, so of course none of the shots people took then were any good.

The war surplus ammo was also of wildly varying quality to begin with; Mussolini had declared that munitions producers were merely "making excuses" by insisting that ball powder and stick powder are different and cannot be used interchangeably when making munitions. Normal, non-Mussolini people would probably assume the two are in fact different based on them having different names, and this assumption would be reinforced when professionals who make munitions assert the same thing. But Mussolini was not normal and insisted they be used interchangeably anyway. Some batches of Italian surplus ammo were fine, some were awful; it all depends on how badly the guys down at the bullet factory were having to fudge poo poo that week. Besides all that fun and getting to mock Mussolini, has the government even claimed Oswald was using surplus ammo? Would they even know if he was keeping his casings and handloading rounds in a manner not dictated by Mussolini?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

chairface posted:

The war surplus ammo was also of wildly varying quality to begin with; Mussolini had declared that munitions producers were merely "making excuses" by insisting that ball powder and stick powder are different and cannot be used interchangeably when making munitions. Normal, non-Mussolini people would probably assume the two are in fact different based on them having different names, and this assumption would be reinforced when professionals who make munitions assert the same thing. But Mussolini was not normal and insisted they be used interchangeably anyway. Some batches of Italian surplus ammo were fine, some were awful; it all depends on how badly the guys down at the bullet factory were having to fudge poo poo that week. Besides all that fun and getting to mock Mussolini, has the government even claimed Oswald was using surplus ammo? Would they even know if he was keeping his casings and handloading rounds in a manner not dictated by Mussolini?

If im remembering correctly from my digging a few years ago yes they were claiming it was war surplus. Also I don't think reloading equipment was found in his possession, and most if not all of the carcano ammo aviable then when war surplus, I won't say there was no non war surplus around but it would have been rare. You didn't see companies start making new 'special' accurate hunting rounds in the 60's like you can with military surplus calibers today.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Source4Leko posted:

I will say I spent some time looking into the Kennedy Assissnation solely from the perspective of where were the shots fired from, not who did it or why were the shots fired and I solidly believe he was shot from the schoolbook depository. Did Oswald do it or why? No idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZs9hx56CQw

There are more watchable videos of the Zapruder film.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yea people can argue with me and that's fine but I'm personally pretty sure that the shots were taken from above and behind. Like I said who or why I avoided reading into that at all because I'd still be breaking my brain trying to figure that out. But I believe the shots were made from the 6th floor with the carcano rife. My dad almost stopped talking to me because I told him this, he's one of those guys who's spent 30 years digging into it from a place of pure ignorance and still has more questions than answers. Was super fun to argue about guns with him when he's never held or fired one lol.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

the most obvious JFK stuff is how obviously CIA-connected oswald was imo. there's no credible case to be made for him just being a nut, he's very clearly an intelligence-connected guy. idk about bullets and all that stuff, but just the background and behaviour of the alleged perpetrator stinks of US intelligence

yeah, he wasn't a nut. regardless of his motive, he knew exactly what he was doing

he was either a pissed off communist super mad at jfk (or connolly :tinfoil:) or a direct asset who killed jfk at the direction of ... well, take your goddamn pick

i tend to think that most of the conspiracy is the CIA or others egging Oswald on trying to get him to do something more in line with trying to shoot Edwin Walker so they would have painted him as a soviet sleeper agent, but then he hauled off and shot kennedy

they almost certainly had a bunch of records of him talking poo poo about Kennedy (along with a ton of other people), the agents agreeing with him, trying to poke him enough that he'd do something. then when they realized what he had done, they went into coverup

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there's too much dodgy poo poo in his background for me to buy that he was a communist and he got too many bizarre breaks and friends he, bluntly, absolutely shouldn't have had to accept that he wasn't pretty directly under the control of some arm of the security state, presumably the CIA

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Source4Leko posted:

Yea people can argue with me and that's fine but I'm personally pretty sure that the shots were taken from above and behind.

They were. Not my image, but this is a decent representation of the scene for anyone who cares:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it was the grassy knoll.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:03 on Jul 15, 2021

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

there's too much dodgy poo poo in his background for me to buy that he was a communist and he got too many bizarre breaks and friends he, bluntly, absolutely shouldn't have had to accept that he wasn't pretty directly under the control of some arm of the security state, presumably the CIA

i should say that i am absolutely not ruling this out. the stuff with de mohrenschildt alone means it can't be ruled out

i see a lot of parallels between how oswald was handled and tamerlan tsarnaev, honestly

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Dad: nobody can take aimed shots with a bolt action rifle that fast!
Me: shows video on my phone from the range last weekend where I take aimed shots faster than that with a bolt action rifle
Dad: walks away and doesn't speak to me for a month.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it was the grassy knoll.

I visited the grassy knoll a number of years ago and the best part of it was behind the fence there was grafiti'd on every single JFK conspiracy theory known to man

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Our good friend Jolly West breaking Jack Ruby's brain.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also patsies don’t need to be mind controlled they just need to be disposable.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My Grandpa personally knew of Jack Ruby because of 'business connections' in Chicago in the 50' and 60's and he said he was the most mob connected person in the whole city. Like he owed everyone everything. If there was a guy in the entire country who someone could have told to just go do something like shoot Oswald no questions asked Jack Ruby was your guy. His options were almost certainly presented as 'we torture you to death and throw your body in the river' or 'shoot Oswald and see what happens after.

Source4Leko has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Jul 15, 2021

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Source4Leko posted:

Dad: nobody can take aimed shots with a bolt action rifle that fast!
Me: shows video on my phone from the range last weekend where I take aimed shots faster than that with a bolt action rifle
Dad: walks away and doesn't speak to me for a month.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

trueanon had a 4 or 5 episode series recently on jfk and oswald that was really good

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
there was some local news about some child abuse images being shared by some messaging app call kik which I’ve never heard of so I typed it into DuckDuckGo news and it’s pedo stings all the way down

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

sonatinas posted:

there was some local news about some child abuse images being shared by some messaging app call kik which I’ve never heard of so I typed it into DuckDuckGo news and it’s pedo stings all the way down

Never used Tinder, huh?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

all of you need to read Charles Crenshaw's book. he's sort of the expert on the neck and head entry wounds being from the front, since, y'know....

....he was the operating surgeon for JFK at Parkland.

(and also the surgeon for Oswald! it's a crazy world)

coathat
May 21, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Thats pretty much what every gun nut conspiracy guy in texas goes through when they visit the book depository building.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

mdemone posted:

(and also the surgeon for Oswald! it's a crazy world)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1tyybVuSBU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Azathoth posted:

They were. Not my image, but this is a decent representation of the scene for anyone who cares:

and if you're sitting in the 6th floor window of the book depository, you take the shot when JFK is traveling slowly toward you on Houston St, not after the turn when you have to deal with a tree and an angle.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

to me, one of the funniest goddamn historical scenes has got to be Oswald immediately after the second shot

put yourself in his shoes for a second. he's just hit Kennedy but he has no idea if he just winged him or what and as he's lining up the next shot, he sees Kennedy's head explode

that's probably the first time in all this that he realizes he's been played (if he even was played and the second shot wasn't the Secret Service agent)

whatever intelligence connections Oswald had, I don't for a second believe that any of them would have told Oswald about other shooters because Oswald is exactly the kind of chickenshit who would start blabbing about it the second he was arrested

i think that puts a lot of his later kinda actions into context. he knows there was a conspiracy to kill Kennedy because he didn't kill him, but he also has no information beyond that. he's probably trying to remember which of his spook buddies he mouthed off to about Kennedy and who he told about what

later on he wants to talk but all he can say is that he was a patsy, which he likely now believes wholeheartedly, but he can't really offer any proof because he has none

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

sonatinas posted:

Kik is the go to app for people posting on FetLife and anonymous sex stuff so that's probably the first place I'd look for people targeting teenagers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lee Harvey Oswald could have been one of those idiots who call themselves communist but also think the CIA and FBI can be a force for good