Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

remember Jupiter Hell, aka DoomRL post-Bethesda C&D? it's finally coming out of Early Access august 5th

https://store.steampowered.com/app/811320/Jupiter_Hell/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Dum general PC question: I have the very occasional CtD based on the game but Watch Dogs: Legion is the only game that makes my drivers crash to the point that not only does the AMD software complain and ask for a crash report, but sometimes I get weird display issues on my OS (ex: text no longer showing up on some windows/start menu). This is fixed primarily by restarting my PC, but is there a way to just restart the display drivers so I don't have to restart my PC each time there's a driver gently caress-up?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Morter posted:

Dum general PC question: I have the very occasional CtD based on the game but Watch Dogs: Legion is the only game that makes my drivers crash to the point that not only does the AMD software complain and ask for a crash report, but sometimes I get weird display issues on my OS (ex: text no longer showing up on some windows/start menu). This is fixed primarily by restarting my PC, but is there a way to just restart the display drivers so I don't have to restart my PC each time there's a driver gently caress-up?

Try Win+Shift+Ctrl+B to restart the display adapter next time it happens.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The 7th Guest posted:

remember Jupiter Hell, aka DoomRL post-Bethesda C&D? it's finally coming out of Early Access august 5th

https://store.steampowered.com/app/811320/Jupiter_Hell/

DoomRL still exists, and I'm honestly unsure what Jupiter Hell is bringing to the table. Kornel may have been borrowing too heavily for his games, but I still miss AliensRL for it's flavour/potential. JH seems so... bland from its previews =/

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

HopperUK posted:

I've been having fun with Luck be a Landlord. You have a slot machine with which to pay your rent. The rent goes up every time, and so does the number of spins you have to make the money. After each spin you can add a new symbol to the machine, and the symbols interact in various amusing ways. You can have a symbol that destroys all fruit and another that gives money whenever anything's destroyed and set up chains like that. After each rent payment you can add an item that also makes permanent changes, like 'all fruit are now worth twice as much' or 'the bounty hunter now destroys every person he's adjacent to no matter who they are'. You also have rerolls for your symbol choices, and the option to get rid of an item occasionally.

From the discussion boards it looks like at high-level play the game might be a bit too messy and random to win reliably, but I just like the noises it makes and seeing number go up. Got all the way to the final payment today!

Luck be a Landlord is one of the weird cases where the derivative ripoff (SpinCraft) is actually a much better game. SpinCraft significantly rebalanced a lot of the symbols based on player feedback and adds a bunch of new ones. It’s also much easier to create an effective build because you can skip symbols.

If anyone is interested in LBAL from these posts I think it was included on the BLM itch bundle by the way.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Serephina posted:

DoomRL still exists, and I'm honestly unsure what Jupiter Hell is bringing to the table. Kornel may have been borrowing too heavily for his games, but I still miss AliensRL for it's flavour/potential. JH seems so... bland from its previews =/

Have you played it? It's real good and very different from doomrl.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Interesting

https://twitter.com/steamdb/status/1415714993874612225?s=21

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1415716241973514240?s=21

Orv
May 4, 2011
That does not look remotely comfortable to use.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Imagine using that right stick and having to push the B button

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Good lord that thing is loving ugly

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That 399 price is kinda bullshit. The actual price is over 500

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1415717074152816640?s=21

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That can't be real... it's possibly the most unergonomic handheld I have seen this side of the Nokia N-Gage.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It looks like those knockoff systems with names like "Hyper Cougar Duck" or "5001+ Games TV System Family System"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

That can't be real... it's possibly the most unergonomic handheld I have seen this side of the Nokia N-Gage.

The Steam Controller was loving terrible and the Index controllers are really good so I guess we know which hardware designer was on this one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://youtu.be/oLtiRGTZvGM

Hands on

So it essentially is using the same chip as the ps5??

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Vaguely Game Gear-ish looking, and that seems like a bad name for a product. But that $529 is pretty compelling as these things go. Interested to hear impressions when people get some hands on.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Tag yourself I'm the B button that's falling off the edge.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It has 4 back buttons so if the face buttons are awkward you can remap them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lmao

double lmao at the price

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Same CPU and GPU architecture as the PS5/XBSX, it's wont be as beefy on a portable power budget though

For a start it's a quad core CPU where the consoles are octo-core

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, I like the idea but that thing looks uncomfortable as hell to hold.

I'll get one when Valve inevitably gives up on it and they start selling for 200 bucks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Finally! An easy way to have those Melty Blood tournaments in parking lots and local fast food bathrooms.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

It only has to output 1280x800 instead of 4k though

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
16:10, same aspect ratio as my monitor :cool:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i like how in the video they never showed the guy having to move the right stick and press a button at the same time

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Orv posted:

That does not look remotely comfortable to use.

To be fair, The Switch, Most DSs, Most 3DSs, GameGear, and the original Gameboy all were uncomfortable too, handhelds kind of suck for comfort.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It runs Steam OS, which is based on Arch, does that mean the game has to be able to run on Linux to run on this thing?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Saint Freak posted:

Tag yourself I'm the B button that's falling off the edge.

I'm the left direction on the D Pad, and I promise your thumb will slip off the side at least once, causing you to lose your grip on the entire device, allowing it to fall to the bathroom floor, cracking the screen. But I bought a screen protector, and it saved the screen after all. But when replacing the screen protector, I got a speck of dust under it, and have a constant air bubble that's visible when playing games. And now the wifi is intermittent. Maybe I can sell this locally and recoup some of that cost. Nope, I can't sell it after all, as I never was able to buy one, as the chip shortage/supply lines are still messed up due to the endemic we're in.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, I like the idea but that thing looks uncomfortable as hell to hold.

I wonder who at Valve has the hardon for the haptic feedback pad, because it fucks up the placement of all the other buttons. Maybe they didn't get the memo with how the stream controller turned out.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Khanstant posted:

To be fair, The Switch, Most DSs, Most 3DSs, GameGear, and the original Gameboy all were uncomfortable too, handhelds kind of suck for comfort.

There's uncomfortable, which yeah most handhelds and there's borderline non-functional unless you use the back buttons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Khanstant posted:

The Switch is very comfortable imo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rusty posted:

It runs Steam OS, which is based on Arch, does that mean the game has to be able to run on Linux to run on this thing?

Yeah I think so.

They said you can wipe it and install Windows though.

The thing looks pretty powerful tbh

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Saint Freak posted:

It looks like those knockoff systems with names like "Hyper Cougar Duck" or "5001+ Games TV System Family System"

they all look like that

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Rusty posted:

No it uses proton as backend which runs windows game fully out of the box

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Khanstant posted:

the joycons are poo poo but the ds and 3ds were very comfortable imo. i had small child hands when i had a gameboy so i can't comment on that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

He said he played death stranding on it did that get a Linux port?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

MarcusSA posted:

https://youtu.be/oLtiRGTZvGM

Hands on

The same way a Ryzen APU is the 'same' as a PS5, in that it's a Ryzen CPU + GPU. In all practicality, no - the PS5 isn't 10X bigger and consumes 20X more power just for the hell of it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Here's a hands on from ign with a faq https://www.ign.com/articles/steam-deck-hands-on-impressions-details-valve-handheld-gaming-pc

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

You know what, I'm watching that IGN video and I think I want it. I want this monster sized Game Gear with awful button positioning. It's sort of my dream PS Vita+Laptop I didn't know I wanted.

The page loading to register my interest or reserve it or whatever isn't loading properly though. So I guess a ton of similarly minded idiots such as me are :f5: that thing hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wait this is an actual “pc” and not just a steam link focused device? I can’t tell what the hell this is for.