Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Whole lot of people here willing to be cops to get good guns smdh.

I just walk in and they start shooting me, what am I supposed to do but defend myself and take their stuff?

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
If someone is gonna wire me eddies after I dismember all these dickheads, who am I to refuse?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Psalm 11:6 isn't in game other than as a bp. Sounds like there are many other iconics that are only BPs.

I just spawn the drat gun with Respector when I get the BP. Not using Crafting if I can help it.

I'm upgrading the guns I'm using in this run though, that's a first. If you do it every level, those guns tend to be better than what you pick up.

Two mods make upgrading better to use: Constant Upgrade Cost & Item Level Scaled Upgrade Cost.

They're needed because default upgrade cost is a linear increase in cost based on how many times you upgraded the object not the level or rarity of the weapon/armor! So the game penalizes you less for upgrading a lvl 49 Legendary that's never been upgraded than a level 10 Common that's been upgraded 5 times. In that the cost multiplier is 1 for the first upgrade while it will be 5 for the latter. :shrug:

Still doesn't help with rarity bumps, you still need crafting for that. I took a look at the crafting code - it's not that difficult to make upgrading/crafting what you want it to be, really. But I couldn't come up with a scheme that made sense for rarity bumps and costs, so I'm sticking with one of the two mods above for now and buying Legendaries when they can be bought.

E: "not that difficult to make upgrading/crafting what you want it to be" - as in tweaking the costs for upgrades and crafting is pretty straightforward. As is tweaking some of the pre-requisites and stuff. Changing the UI or the entire system to be something else won't be as simple.

Decompiled code is here if anyone wants to look at it: https://codeberg.org/adamsmasher/cyberpunk/src/branch/master/core/systems/craftingSystem.swift

Line 110 is where they multiply the amount of ingredients needed by the number of upgrades you've done for example. Both the above mods just tweak that line in different ways.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 15, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I really like the deliverance kingdom come and dues ex kinda vibe where combat is almost realistic, almost like a tactical shooter and being high level just means you can afford a couple mistakes or have a lot more options on how to approach. Cyberpunk is a weird mix of that and more traditional RPGs where being sneaky and tactics can help but also you could just all stand in the open and tank and your enemies are a bit too bullet spongy.

As a huge fan, KC:D and Deus Ex do a lot of things right with their combat systems and if you engage with them honestly they can be very immersive and a lot of fun.

That said, there are also skills and perks which are clearly broken and taking them or playing the game(s) with them ruins the gameplay experience of combat. If you intentionally hobble your character and avoid the best upgrades, the combat system is a lot of fun and "realistic." But if you grab one or two OP perks it becomes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evCtzMqNJiU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

v1ld posted:

They're needed because default upgrade cost is a linear increase in cost based on how many times you upgraded the object not the level or rarity of the weapon/armor!

Just to show how broken this is, take a Common gun or armor that needs X common ingredients and Y uncommon ingredients to upgrade for the first time.
1st upgrade cost: X common + Y uncommon
2nd upgrade cost: 2 * (X common + Y uncommon)
3rd: 3 * (X + Y)
etc.

Let's say you upgrade it 5 times because you're just rolling in ingredients. Total cost of those 5 upgrades is:
(1+2+3+4+5)*(X+Y) = 15*(X+Y)

That's right, it's 15 times the cost of that first upgrade. This is quadratic total cost:
1+2+...n = n*(n+1)/2 ~= n^2

The Constant upgrade cost mod linked above gives linear total upgrade cost, which is reasonable.

Different rarities have different base upgrade costs. So if you have Rare and Epic versions of the same item, they each have different base upgrade costs - but they both go through the same math for their upgrades.

E: They almost certainly did it this way because they want you to keep crafting new guns. Each newly crafted gun has low upgrade cost, but it soon grows prohibitively expensive to keep upgrading it. So you need to craft a new one, possibly at a higher rarity.

Which then penalizes you heavily for wanting to keep a gun upgraded because, you know, you decided to skip the crafting tree entirely.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 15, 2021

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I go after Tyger Claws mostly because they're just an arm of Arasaka. Some of them are even making extreme snuff BDs and crap and at that point gloves are off that you're just objectively bad.

v1ld posted:

Still doesn't help with rarity bumps, you still need crafting for that. I took a look at the crafting code - it's not that difficult to make upgrading/crafting what you want it to be, really. But I couldn't come up with a scheme that made sense for rarity bumps and costs, so I'm sticking with one of the two mods above for now and buying Legendaries when they can be bought.
The upgrade costs in vanilla look like bad MMO style upgrading mechanisms with polynomial or exponential resources required for linear DPS improvements. I'd do the following for a single player experience:

• All weapon and clothing upgrades cost 2x more but will reach player level and not increase in cost per upgrade to compensate
  • Increase cost of crafting materials from vendors about 50%. This means total upgrade cost would be 3x in terms of eddies, but the game needs some money sinks besides cyberware and vehicles nobody wants to drive currently
  • Rarity bumps require a large sum of materials for the target tier. Let's start at 20 rare components, 20 epic components, 20 legendary components
  • Unlock crafting for non-tech trees via techie vendors (Judy, for example) with fees requiring materials and BPs. Fees changed depending upon reputation. This would make it inline with Witcher 3 vaguely and simulate multiplayer transaction economy.
  • Give techies additional weapon bonuses like extra reload speed and weapon accuracy across the board
  • Crafting of unique mods like mods that trade off fire rate for more damage or cyberware that provides similar trade-offs

So techies can min-max weapons and cyberware which makes lore sense and gives the tree more purpose beyond crafting point sinks. And the point of upgrading weapons to me is because you like the rolls it got or you're having trouble getting an upgrade like for an iconic you snagged at low level, and leveling up acts as a form of the Witcher 3 weapon and armor wear system.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

As a huge fan, KC:D and Deus Ex do a lot of things right with their combat systems and if you engage with them honestly they can be very immersive and a lot of fun.

That said, there are also skills and perks which are clearly broken and taking them or playing the game(s) with them ruins the gameplay experience of combat. If you intentionally hobble your character and avoid the best upgrades, the combat system is a lot of fun and "realistic." But if you grab one or two OP perks it becomes:

I loved Kingdom come deliverance I struggled until I somehow murdered a knight in cold blood (he was either sleeping or I backstabbed him)

Once I had stolen his armor and weapons I became an absolute beast

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I mega struggled with the tourney hardcore. I kept reloading and trying to win. I even got really loving good with the clinch strat to make openings and won matches but I still was no challenge to the later fights. The fights would last like 10-20m, Henry would be tired as poo poo and I would do no dmg. Then I just accepted it as when it happened that I could go there and get some good and easy levels up in my combat skills. After awhile I started loving murdering the place.

Once you fully level up strength you can clinch every loving fight and make huge openings from Henry's raw beast ability. I loving loved the fatigue system of Kingdom Come, as long as you keep yourself good with ale and wine and sleep, its no problem.

Here's a video about clinch fightin'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-MB_xPn0A
The game has a classic oblivion or open world game problem where they reuse face models alot, in my head canon for alot of tournaments they couldn't find anymore people to fight Henry so they just had the same guy put on a new tunic each fight.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 17, 2021

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I still think KCD is the best game of its type since Morrowind. Combat, archery, and stealth are so intuitive. It also has the most interesting crafting system of all time in alchemy, which actually feels like you are creating something and not combining inventory sprites.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I read that KC:D was extreme eurojank, is it actually good and worth playing?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Extremely good, buy it cheap. I got it from the humble bundle monthly scam to give you the game on the cheap and then sell you the dlc.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

It has an odd opening gameplay-wise, and the story railroads you for a few hours before it completely opens up. But when it does open up, it’s outstanding.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The best quest in kingdom come is where you have to get the love letter from the noble son to the mechants daughter and she tells you she can't read. LMAO.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

A lot of the fun of the KCD setting is that it’s this very Catholic, late Middle Ages backwater that is experiencing the very first days of the Renaissance. It creates a cool tension when it pops up, and the writers use it well a number of times.

Some of the characters in the game are superstitious in very odd ways that almost always relate to the medieval church’s teachings, and that’s a fun thing to me for some reason.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Tenzarin posted:

The best quest in kingdom come is where you have to get the love letter from the noble son to the mechants daughter and she tells you she can't read. LMAO.

someone didn't go drinking with father godwin :nallears:

Bold Robot posted:

yeah that's a good description and it's worth playing, especially if you get all of the dlc and pay $30 or less!

For me, Eurojank mostly means quirky side effects from attempts at immersion: as in peasants without pants in Witcher 2.

Amerijank mostly means game-breaking bugs that should have been quashed in testing: as in "don't start the quest 'This is a Main Sequence Quest Title' or your savefile will be permanently corrupted and you will have to reinstall Windows."

Ironically, KC:D had both, at launch! :dumbbravo:

It's been fixed now, though, and is probably the best Morrowind clone since Morrowind! It also has what I consider the best gameworld ever produced. They used satellite imagery to recreate an actual slice of 15th century Bohemia, no game has ever felt like such a real space (mostly because it is a real space). Other open world games like Red Dead, Fallout/Skyrim, Ghosts of Tsushima, et al, feel more like Westworld after playing KC:D. It's obvious to see where things are handcrafted as opposed to the natural walking, horse, and animal paths you find from the actual wilderness of Talmberg.

I was honestly hoping CP77 would be a bit more like future KC:D, that the world would have more life built in to it. I think that was an unfair expectation, as CDPR have always excelled at handcrafted worlds, but it's hard not to make the comparison between Witcher 3 and KC:D, since they both share a lot of Slavic influences from the same period. Witcher 3 is undeniably the better game, better writing/characters/VOs, everything. But, as I said, KC:D just feels like a real world and Henry (if you avoid the broken perks) feels like a real character...

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It also has what I consider the best gameworld ever produced.

Either it or Morrowind, yeah.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

You folks sure are selling KCD well. Strong comparison to Morrowind is well, strong. Think I'll pick up a copy.

A feature of CP that doesn't get mentioned much: it has the best grab and climb a ledge mechanics outside of Dying Light ... and possibly better.

Not comparing it to BotW climbing arbitrary surfaces based on stamina, but rather being about to aim at a possibly climbable surface and having the game dynamically compute if it should work. Dying Light has parkour as a core mechanic and possibly pioneered the dynamic calculation approach, not sure. But I think it's particularly impressive that CP 2077, a game that doesn't have traversal as a core mechanic, does it so well.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Just be mindful that KCD is plenty accessible, but it isn’t as accessible as similar triple A releases. Some of its mechanics are a bit obtuse at first, but they make sense once you play a bit.

Also Henry isn’t a knight, and he will never be one combat-wise. Even with maxed stats and plenty of melee combat practice, more than maybe two other dudes will gently caress you up if they’re geared at all. The bow can be be cheesed, but even it can be tricky with groups.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

someone didn't go drinking with father godwin :nallears:

Everyone should go drinking with father godwin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iWvPYjYsMg

Due to the lockon type of combat, yes fighting more than 1 target at a time can gently caress you up. But you can't get real sword fighting without it, so just get used to it.

I discovered the game long after the dlc run was completed and really didn't see any bugs.

Get the save anywhere mod, it will make the game alot more bearable. No one talked about the limited saving because everyone mods it out. Default you only save when sleeping so you can't go "Hang on I don't like the outcome of this quest" RELOAD.
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/1

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 17, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

If KC:D is eurojank then every Bethesda game is turbojank in comparison and also KC:D has a better story and more interesting characters.

I thought this video was a pretty good summary of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulkll919xhM

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The game is pretty realistic so don't go expecting your gonna find King Arthur's lightning sword of vengeance to use to maim people with.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Getting pretty tempted by the sound of KC:D. Are any of the DLCs worth picking up? Is there a good guide anywhere on what to know before you play?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

Getting pretty tempted by the sound of KC:D. Are any of the DLCs worth picking up? Is there a good guide anywhere on what to know before you play?

From the ashes: you rebuild a town, worth it IMO

Hans Capon: you help a noble get laid and haunt a village, not worth it but kind of funny

Band of bastards: magnificent seven kind of thing, worth it

A woman’s lot: really two separate stories, but I didn’t enjoy this one much

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In KC:D it was cool that you started the game as a peasant that couldn't read and learning how to read was a separate skill started by an optional sidequest so you could choose to never learn how to read if you wanted and so you wouldn't be able to read any books or crafting recipes in your 100 hour RPG.

The game also includes a perk that lets you read faster so you won't get as hungry and exhausted while reading and another perk that lets the protagonist discover that he can put a cushion under his rear end while reading to get a reading bonus.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

v1ld posted:

A feature of CP that doesn't get mentioned much: it has the best grab and climb a ledge mechanics outside of Dying Light ... and possibly better.

yeah my early posts itt are all proselytizing about how well made the mantle system is in this game.

If we had the bare minimum of parkour movement choices, like mirrors edge 1 stuff, I would call it goat based on that experience alone. Just let me carry my momentum forward. This likely will never happen, sadly

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bold Robot posted:

This guide was written by our own Hieronymous Alloy. I believe it is partially completed because the game is loving long but it helped me out at the start and I don't think there's alot of spoilers. Just stay out of the main story quest part at the bottom. I really can't blame him for not finishing it if it isn't because the game is long as gently caress.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1305878776

Played all the dlc. Had fun with all of them.

From ashes town is interesting, you basically become super duper rich from this forever once paying the money to build it. It is your right to the money from being the towns bailiff. Takes place almost at the end of the game.

Band of Bastards: the best dlc of it. Takes place around the end of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEk64VAi20U
This trailer they sing a loving song in it, so you do know I'm totally gonna link it.

Capon DLC is alright. Don't remember where this one is in the story.

A woman's lot: might be the longest one in two parts. With shortest part you can do at the start of the game after the tutorial and unlock your dog companion and dog companion skill trees. And a long quest near the end of the game. The choices for the second portion of this dlc are spread out over a very long period of time and you have almost no way of making save files to fix, without replaying large parts of it. I kept getting an ending I didn't want and I would then run around the town killing all the quest npcs involved until the guards killed me in a rage before I would try again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYssLdARK_4
This is the a video showing off the dog. Nothing much but interesting. The dog can let you fight larger numbers of bad guys. He helps you hunt, fight, warn you of ambushes, and prob other things too that I just don't remember. Also there's random ambushes in this game, you'll learn these bushes in routes as you play sometimes guys are hiding in them sometimes not.

Treasures of the past: Just spots and maps to spots you can dig up some treasure. Some very strong gear but really don't need it.

You could also skip all the dlc and make sure you like it first.

I guess I should also mention there are a number of timed quests in the game. You will get far warning of them happening like a guys going, "Henry we have to ride now, don't delay!". If you don't the quest will continue and end without you. Might miss a few achievements and have a story npc yell at you for not being the best Henry you can be, don't think you can fail the msq.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 18, 2021

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Another fun thing about KCD is that every village or town has its own reputation meter, and if you're a pretty upstanding citizen in general everyone will love you.

And they make it known very often, and loudly.

"Henry's come to see us! Jesus Christ be praised!"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
You can also murder-hobo your way into skipping tons of main quest content, as my Henry did when randomly exploring some mines like the game was Skyrim and accidentally solving the mystery of the counterfeit coins that I wasn't aware existed!
:toot:

KC:D is best when you engage with it honestly and play the game as it was intended: as a filthy peasant who doesn't know his place. Be careful in the combat/strength skill trees, because some of the skills will turn Henry into One Punch Man. But after you spend 30-60 minutes sparing with Captain WhatsHisName outside of Rattay, most players get the hang of repostes and at that point Henry can kill anything if he has a sword and shield.
:shrug:

The quests are all pretty reactive, and a few are time-sensitive, as mentioned. Leave that wounded man in the hospital too long and he'll just die. Have to chase down an NPC? His rear end will actually run through the world and the game will adjust to whether you catch him, lost him, find him again, convince him to help you, or murder him in a duel. Sleeping and eating are things that have to be done, and one of the most lucrative trades is poaching (so long as you aren't caught). That reminds me: no game has ever made forests like this one. They looked so real, from a distance, that I just assumed the forests were all walls, as video games often use, to keep the player away from content. To my amazement, you can just walk through them and they nailed the sound design and ambiance. No game makes you feel like you are in the woods like this one. One of my favorite quests is in the early game, trying to find some horse thieves, and this yokel gives you directions like "go to the big rock, then follow the river until it forks..." and the game doesn't hold your hand. There's no map marker, no quest compass. You gotta find that big rear end rock or just wander the wood until you brute force the problem through luck. There are multiple instances like this throughout the game which give it that Morrowind-like feel I keep mentioning.

Just to stick a fly in the ointment, as much as I love the game, there are some quirks and jank. It is possible to gently caress up quests so they just never trigger (side content), and the head writer has made many controversial and absurd statements (like black people didn't exist in medieval Poland) and is apparently a huge CHUD. But games are collaborations, and I think this one is worth playing. Especially if you grab it on sale.

The base game is $30 and adding the $53 of DLC for the ~Royal~ edition is just $40, :10bux: over the base game. I think it's worth it for the experience and amount of content at that price, but it regularly goes on sale for 50% off, so you can get the game and all the DLC for $20 if you're patient!
:woop:

Okay, I just wrote a few thousand words about Kingdom Come so here's a cyberpunk pic:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

KC:D is best when you engage with it honestly and play the game as it was intended: as a filthy peasant who doesn't know his place. Be careful in the combat/strength skill trees, because some of the skills will turn Henry into One Punch Man. But after you spend 30-60 minutes sparing with Captain WhatsHisName outside of Rattay, most players get the hang of repostes and at that point Henry can kill anything if he has a sword and shield.
:shrug:

There's a trick to melee, and I don't know when it becomes viable, because it's definitely an advanced character thing with cranked stats and lot of perks unlocked. It wasn't something that I was working towards and only realized it worked when I tried it.

But once you get to that point, every one-on-one fight becomes trivial with the long sword. All you do is jab constantly and never let up. In the tourney for example, start jabbing with the right build and you can box your opponent into a corner and just jab him into submission. I do remember the bloodletter and sadist perks in the warfare tree as well as clinch master in the strength tree being important.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The tourny guys have some pretty high stats. You can easily take the peasant bandits pretty early. Black bandits are alittle tougher and then Cumens alittle tougher than them. The game isn't a super treadmill of master swordsman bandits.

I preferred taking out bandit camps in the dead of night with stealth also. Most are asleep and you can night murder them really good. Just make sure you tell the dog to stay by your horse. Dog not so good at stealth.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

in medieval Poland

The game takes place in a small area in Bohemia, which is part of Czechia.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I love how if your always stealing and getting caught stealing, the guards will just start shaking you down every time they see you.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Is there still a nonzero chance of them unfucking this game? I really havent been paying attention and I want to know if I should stop entirely

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Much like no man sky, they can change things but most things will stay the same. Gotta wait for that cyberpunk 2.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Control Volume posted:

Is there still a nonzero chance of them unfucking this game? I really havent been paying attention and I want to know if I should stop entirely

I'd say there is, but I'm not sure how much higher than zero it is. Some DLC could certainly help matters.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I still imagine the chance is low but I guess Ill check back in a few months and hope for the best

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Adding more of the same will hardly help the game who's biggest problem is that they tried to cram too much poo poo into it, while not having big enough team.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
No Man's Sky had the advantage that it had cost very little to make (a dozen devs at the height of its team size, half that most of the time) so it was super profitable with a hundred thousand sales already and uses relatively few assets and simple ones so changing stuff is cheap (when your dialogue is text-only you're allowed a lot more freedom in changing it than when it's voiced by Keanu Reeves) so keeping at it would be a very small investment. FFXIV had the advantage of a company with bottomless pockets and the promise of years, possibly decades of long term revenue if they pulled it off. And they needed all that money because their "fix" was to make a whole new game with the same name while using the old one to beta test ideas. At GDC they also outlined how important it was to be very open with the community during the whole fixing process and also honest to themselves about all the places where they hosed up.

Anyway, CDPR's got none of that. They can't look at NMS for answers due to project size, and if they'd really looked at the answers from FFXIV they can use they'd be communicating very differently regarding the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I am still earnestly amazed that we haven't even seen like, "new clothes dlc" or "get a hair cut dlc" the radio silence is actually kind of impressive.