Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rusty posted:

It runs Steam OS, which is based on Arch, does that mean the game has to be able to run on Linux to run on this thing?
It includes Proton, which is Valve's fork of Wine, so a lot of Windows games will also run. The IGN preview talks about playing Guilty Gear Strive and Death Stranding on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

You know what, I'm watching that IGN video and I think I want it. I want this monster sized Game Gear with awful button positioning. It's sort of my dream PS Vita+Laptop I didn't know I wanted.

The page loading to register my interest or reserve it or whatever isn't loading properly though. So I guess a ton of similarly minded idiots such as me are :f5: that thing hard.

Reservations start tomorrow at 10am

I think I want it too even though I just got the Aya Neo lol

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait this is an actual “pc” and not just a steam link focused device? I can’t tell what the hell this is for.

Yes, its a full handheld pc which comes with steamos installed, with controllers bolted on. You can install windows on it if you want.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait this is an actual “pc” and not just a steam link focused device? I can’t tell what the hell this is for.

it's to play games op

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

He said he played death stranding on it did that get a Linux port?

It didn't, barely any AAA games do, but it runs in Proton apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX9fDtXBXQo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yes it’s an actual full PC. It’s for playing all of your pc games but portable.

They didn’t talk about steam link streaming at all.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the clarification on Proton, I did not know they had something like that, seems like a neat device in that case.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Yes it’s an actual full PC. It’s for playing all of your pc games but portable.

They didn’t talk about steam link streaming at all.

Huh. That’s pretty neat, then.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

i like how in the video they never showed the guy having to move the right stick and press a button at the same time

But you have generally have to take your thumb off the right stick to press a button on regular controllers though? It's the whole reason that console shooters and some melee focused games started putting attacks on the shoulder buttons, so you can use the sick at the same time.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Veotax posted:

But you have generally have to take your thumb off the right stick to press a button on regular controllers though? It's the whole reason that console shooters and some melee focused games started putting attacks on the shoulder buttons, so you can use the sick at the same time.

but with the haptic pads, the multiple back buttons, the gyro, and the capacitive touch sticks you can do most actions without using the front face buttons I would think. That's how I used the steam controller anyway.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Switch is very comfortable imo.
Idk about the lite, but the switch is.. Ok. More comfortable than the 3DS, but the compromises they made for the detachable joycons make it uncomfortable.

The analog sticks are dainty and have serious durability issues. To the point at which the European Commission is doing an investigation into it. The 'dpad' is four separate buttons. And your hands will cramp up-there's a reason that the satisfye grip and hori split pads are two of the most common recommendations in the switch thread.

My goofy Razer Kishi phone controller is more comfortable.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 15, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

it's like someone described a switch to an alien from mars

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

It's a hideous loving machine but kind of a cool idea. I'm excited for the gen2 version which will never happen.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Samopsa posted:

but with the haptic pads, the multiple back buttons, the gyro, and the capacitive touch sticks you can do most actions without using the front face buttons I would think. That's how I used the steam controller anyway.

Oh yeah, I was just saying that "you have to take your thumb off the stick to hit the face buttons" is an incredibly week "dunk" on this thing. The d-pad and face button positioning is weird, but maybe it'll work?

I'm not writing the thing off, but I'm not going to rush to get one. See what it's like.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

At the resolution that thing is running it should be able to play a surprising number of games well at low or medium settings. It looks like it's basically a Ryzen 4000 series APU with better GPU performance and those things are pretty peppy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some info from an IGN Q&A

• Internal storage isn't upgradable, but every system has an SD card slot.
  • Seven-inch 1280x800 screen. The top-price 512gb model has an additional anti-glare etched glass treatment.
  • Battery life is 2-8 hours depending on what you're doing. You can get about four hours of Portal 2 out of one charge, 5-6 if you limit it to 30fps.
  • Built-in microphone for multiplayer chat, as well as an ambient light sensor for automatic screen brightness adjustment.
  • No cellular connection, wi-fi only.
  • Dock will be sold seperately, but any USB-C dock should work.
  • It's a normal PC, so PC stuff like mods and installing the Epic Games Store are doable.
  • All of the software is freely-licensable for other manufacturers to make clones similar devices.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

At the resolution that thing is running it should be able to play a surprising number of games well at low or medium settings. It looks like it's basically a Ryzen 4000 series APU with better GPU performance and those things are pretty peppy.

Yeah it should do things pretty drat well. My Aya Neo which has a Ryzen 4500 can handle quite a lot of things and the Steam handheld should do even better at a lower price point.

Also it should be able to emulate everything up to the switch with like 0 issues which is super fuckin cool if you wanted a portable everything machine.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Veotax posted:

Oh yeah, I was just saying that "you have to take your thumb off the stick to hit the face buttons" is an incredibly week "dunk" on this thing. The d-pad and face button positioning is weird, but maybe it'll work?

I'm not writing the thing off, but I'm not going to rush to get one. See what it's like.

It's less that you have to take your finger off the right stick, which I do all the time with a dualshock, it's that because the buttons are directly to the right and barely elevated at all, that's a really uncomfortable move to make with your thumb, given how you'll probably be gripping the case.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Veotax posted:

yeah, agreed. Looks really interesting and I would think there's a market for a portable pc gaming machine. Look at how great the switch is doing with all the ported indie games that started on PC!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think it looks like a really nifty little (big) device, and the price is pretty drat good. Not really sure I can justify getting one because I probably wouldn't end up using it that much, but for someone without a gaming PC, $400 for access to Steam's ridiculous library on the go is nuts value.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

so what the hell am i supposed to do with this thing in 2 years when all my games have outpaced the hardware inside

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

the joycons are poo poo but the ds and 3ds were very comfortable imo. i had small child hands when i had a gameboy so i can't comment on that.

i was called "fetus hands" in highschool, but I counted Gameboy as uncomfortable mostly because you had to hold it fuckin weird to see, sit somewhere with perfect light, or get some goober external light that maybe even had a magnifying glass as part of it and there was something besides the ergonomics of the plastic shell that made it uncomfortable. Modded backlit GB or later backlit editions were more comfortable for that alone.

DS Line outside of lite revisions were heavy, unwieldy, and a bit awkward to use. especially when touchscreen + buttons were involved. I only had supersize golden 3DS xl and a 2DS i was going to mod but didn't and just never used :/

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

anyone who buys that has a brain made of peanuts and string

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bardeh posted:

I think it looks like a really nifty little (big) device, and the price is pretty drat good. Not really sure I can justify getting one because I probably wouldn't end up using it that much, but for someone without a gaming PC, $400 for access to Steam's ridiculous library on the go is nuts value.

Its only $50 more than the switch OLED lol

Deviant posted:

so what the hell am i supposed to do with this thing in 2 years when all my games have outpaced the hardware inside

Keep using it or stream the games? What do you do with your PC when games outpace it? Its definitely not buy a new GPU because lol

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

As possibly the only Steam Controller stan on the planet I will definitely be in like for this. It’s really weird in a cool way, and as these PC handhelds go that’s amazing hardware for the price.

I’d love to know the internal expectations for this thing as Valve. I’ve always thought that they generally make hardware not to sell tons of units but to create interest or demand in a certain space relevant to their wider interests. This would seem to be similar - I’m sure they expect it to still be a niche product, but them being in the field maybe makes it less niche faster than it would’ve otherwise.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stux posted:

anyone who buys that has a brain made of peanuts and string

But enough about the Switch OLED we’re talking about the Steam Deck now.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Deviant posted:

lmao did you not notice that you can play all modern pc games on 1280x800 on what is basically a 10 year old PC nowadays? this won't be an issue for a long time.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Saint Freak posted:

Tag yourself I'm the B button that's falling off the edge.

I'm the trackpads.... more trackpads... put trackpads on everything, everywhere

I missed them at first but they are directly below each stick. At least you have the option to use the sticks unlike the Steam Controller, I suppose. And if it runs Windows a trackpad could make sense to use the mouse (although not strictly necessary). Expandable storage is great too since a 500 GB microSD card isn't even that expensive nowadays, that should allow people to buy the cheapest option. Didn't see anything about a replaceable battery though....

No way am I getting this thing anyways. If I'm too cheap to get a PS5 I'm definitely too cheap for this thing which I would probably hardly use anyways and if I did use it I'd probably break it pretty quickly. In any case I rarely find myself wanting to play games when I am anywhere but at my house.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

I think I really really want the Steam Game Gear because I'm the exact person it was made for. Don't know poo poo about PCs, don't have the time to learn how to build one, just wanna play games real easy, I want gyro controls, and I like portability for working on the road.

My question as a complete PC idiot is - just about how far off is this thing from say, a PS5, when it comes to how well it will run current games. I saw someone saying it has some of the same hardware but it can't be just as powerful as the huge PS5. Is this thing closer to a Nintendo Switch power-wise? Or, if I hooked it up to a TV could it almost compare to my PS5?

TIA for tolerating my PC illiteracy. I was raised in a Macintosh/console household.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Guess it depends on how games UI will scale on this thing cause it might be difficult to read text on a small screen like that.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Its only $50 more than the switch OLED lol

Keep using it or stream the games? What do you do with your PC when games outpace it? Its definitely not buy a new GPU because lol

Samopsa posted:

lmao did you not notice that you can play all modern pc games on 1280x800 on what is basically a 10 year old PC nowadays? this won't be an issue for a long time.

these are not answers to the question, nice try tho

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pretty much a perfect device for me, all the big theater games I already play on my TV setup - this will let me move the lower intensity stuff to a more comfortable mobile form. I use an ipad with remote play currently and that's fine for some games, but all the control options on this thing should open up a lot more games.

My only real concern is warranty, because controls breaking or other hardware issues will be a thing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Deviant posted:

faulty premise if the only people who have new GPU are bitcoin miners. outside of a couple of AAA games i don't think there will be much to worry about there

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly a controller-less (maybe even no screen) micro-PC version of this that you just dock on any monitor and play with a wireless controller or wireless m/kb would be pretty loving cool.

Just give me the micro PC version of this and skip the controller bullshit.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thinking about the article abotu the people who always eagerly buy into awful products to the point they can be used to work out whaht will fail

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It has full sized thumb sticks not the lovely switch ones that all the other manufacturers are using as well.

Deviant posted:

Yes it was. Sorry you don't like the answer.

Maybe you wanted us to say you throw it in the trash?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Looks really neat. Possibly a good alternative to a gaming laptop if all you want to do is play games on the go.

That said, I will never buy one because unlike consoles, games will outgrow the hardware.

Ok that's not it. I'm just cheap. I'll stick to xcloud on my phone

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deviant posted:

People are currently, at this very point, buying 5-6 year old video cards for more than this portable console/PC because you can’t find poo poo and keep things upgraded in any reasonable or timely fashion. The idea of thinking this will only have a 2 year shelf life is absolutely loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Are we just looping back design wise into the game gear?

Because that thing looks like a game gear with joysticks. Only thing it's missing is the large charger you can use a flail to cave the skulls of your enemies

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 15, 2021