Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

IGN: What's the reasonable shelf life for this? What is the sort of long tail of it? Is it something that is going to be upgraded or will there be a 2.0 version of this in a few years? Do you anticipate or want other hardware makers to use the same SteamOS and make their own version? Do you look at this as a platform?

Greg Coomer: We look at this as just a new category of device in the PC space. And assuming that customers agree with us that this is a good idea, we expect not only to follow up in the future with more iterations ourselves, but also for other people, other manufacturers to want to participate in the space.

Pierre-Loup Griffais: All the technologies and the OS and the building blocks that we've been working on over the years, that kind of means the Steam Deck will be available free of charge for people that want to build devices like that as well.

Lawrence Yang: We want to make sure people know that the SteamOS 3 is available free, for a free license for any manufacturer that wants to make a similar product.

Wait... so this is running on SteamOS? There's not Windows on these things, so you can really only play the Steam library available on Linux. I guess if this had normal windows, it'd just be a doofy gamerlaptop with a built in controller, but instead it's just a Linux Gamegear.

300 bucks is the max I'm ever willing to spend on a machine that only plays videogames, a dollar more and I'd better be able to use that thing to constantly post about videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Seymour Buttz posted:

My question as a complete PC idiot is - just about how far off is this thing from say, a PS5, when it comes to how well it will run current games. I saw someone saying it has some of the same hardware but it can't be just as powerful as the huge PS5. Is this thing closer to a Nintendo Switch power-wise? Or, if I hooked it up to a TV could it almost compare to my PS5?

It's much closer to a PS5 than a Nintendo Switch, which was showing its age barely a year after being out and now feels ancient. In fact, this thing should run most multiplatform games you'll see on the PS5 because it will run them at a lower resolution.

Khanstant posted:

Wait... so this is running on SteamOS? There's not Windows on these things, so you can really only play the Steam library available on Linux. I guess if this had normal windows, it'd just be a doofy gamerlaptop with a built in controller, but instead it's just a Linux Gamegear.

You can install Windows on it; it's actually listed as a feature. SteamOS is also not as lovely as you think -- it's made so much leaps and bounds in the last few years that Linux now runs nearly every single AAA game excluding the ones with the shittiest DRM.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 15, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Khanstant posted:

300 bucks is the max I'm ever willing to spend on a machine that only plays videogames, a dollar more and I'd better be able to use that thing to constantly post about videogames.

The IGN hands on says you can straight up wipe steamOS and just install Windows if you want.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

Are we just looping back design wise into the game gear?

Because that thing looks like a game gear with joysticks

Hold up, wasn't the codename for this thing the Neptune? And this looks like a gamegear...

C.M. Kruger posted:

Gabe Newell is going to make Nepgear real.

Jesus christ

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

imagining the kind of person who in the bitcoin era of 2021 has still been upgrading their rig every 2 years on the dot and am pretty envious tbh

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Khanstant posted:

no it runs windows games on proton (a wine variant), and it works fine. If you're concerned about that you can just wipe it and install windows 10 if you want.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Seymour Buttz posted:

I think I really really want the Steam Game Gear because I'm the exact person it was made for. Don't know poo poo about PCs, don't have the time to learn how to build one, just wanna play games real easy, I want gyro controls, and I like portability for working on the road.

My question as a complete PC idiot is - just about how far off is this thing from say, a PS5, when it comes to how well it will run current games. I saw someone saying it has some of the same hardware but it can't be just as powerful as the huge PS5. Is this thing closer to a Nintendo Switch power-wise? Or, if I hooked it up to a TV could it almost compare to my PS5?

TIA for tolerating my PC illiteracy. I was raised in a Macintosh/console household.

First of all a PS5 outputs much much higher resolution, up to 4K in some cases I believe (?). I assume that saves quite a bit on processing power, to only output in low resolution to a small screen, which allows it to play more graphically intensive games (not more than the PS5, I mean more than it would otherwise).

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly a controller-less (maybe even no screen) micro-PC version of this that you just dock on any monitor and play with a wireless controller or wireless m/kb would be pretty loving cool.

Just give me the micro PC version of this and skip the controller bullshit.

Wouldn't that mean it could still only output in 1280x800? That would look incredibly lovely on a TV/monitor

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fargin Icehole posted:

Are we just looping back design wise into the game gear?

Because that thing looks like a game gear with joysticks. Only thing it's missing is the large charger you can use a flail to cave the skulls of your enemies

It weighs about as much as the game gear too

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Leal posted:

Hold up, wasn't the codename for this thing the Neptune? And this looks like a gamegear...

Jesus christ

This is me right now

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Serephina posted:

DoomRL still exists, and I'm honestly unsure what Jupiter Hell is bringing to the table. Kornel may have been borrowing too heavily for his games, but I still miss AliensRL for it's flavour/potential. JH seems so... bland from its previews =/

edit: sorry, I got carried away and didn't address what I actually quoted. JH brings accessibility to people who find "true" roguelikes to be indecipherable. A few people are excited about it in the Roguelikes thread, but the consensus seems to be that people would prefer letters, numbers, and punctuation to its graphic style. If you are one of those people, it probably doesn't offer anything to you. I really like the idea of roguelikes but can't devote hours learning how to figure out what's on my screen or memorizing a dizzying array of keyboard controls, so it's perfect for me.

I've put about 90 hours in at various points of development. As above, I think if you're a hardcore rogue fan, there probably won't be enough to satisfy you. There are only three classes with about 8 skills apiece, and while loot is randomized, you kind of have to commit to a style at the beginning of a run and so unique drops don't change a lot unless they happen to fit your chosen strategy and/or drop near the beginning of a run. There are also only like a dozen-ish enemy types which are mixed between different kinds of ranged and melee threats (except bots, which can hurt you the same at any distance. gently caress bots.) Weapons and armor are modifiable, though you have to develop a specific skill to see all of the options and the base level ones are kind of weak.

Completion of a run takes roughly an hour and a half, but you can drop in and out at any time, which suits my available time and gaming ADHD well. I rarely sit down long enough to do one run in a single sitting. Certain classes/skills are extremely powerful, and some are extremely challenging (soldier with shotgun vs. scout with melee, for example), so it's a little unbalanced but I guess it lets you pick your poison. A melee run on easy or normal is doable, but is masochistic on Nightmare. In all the hours I've played, I've only consistently reached the end of easy and a few normal runs.

If the idea of a fast-paced, turn-based action game that you can jump in and out of for variable-length play sessions seems interesting, I'd give it a shot. It's just as over-the-top violent as Doom. Nothing feels better than wiping four enemies with one shot of double-barreled shotgun, or zipping through a room full of guys with a knife while they shoot each other by accident and start killing each other for you.

My major complaint is that it obfuscates important information from the player. This mod increases my melee guard but what is my base melee guard? Who just shot me and how much damage did they do? How much damage did I just do? How frequently am I getting criticals? Did I just successfully dodge or did the enemy miss? Someone may know the answers to these questions, but I don't think they got them in-game.

All-in-all though, I really like it. It's one of the few EA games I haven't burnt out on before release and that hasn't drastically changed direction during development to the point that I no longer enjoy it.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 15, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

It's much closer to a PS5 than a Nintendo Switch, which was showing its age barely a year after being out. In fact, this thing should run most multiplatform games you'll see on the PS5 because it will run them at a lower resolution.

You can install Windows on it; it's actually listed as a feature. SteamOS is also not as lovely as you think -- it's made so much leaps and bounds in the last few years that Linux now runs nearly every single AAA game excluding the ones with the shittiest DRM.

The video also said that it has ray tracing core but lol at actually being able to use RT on this thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Play posted:

Wouldn't that mean it could still only output in 1280x800? That would look incredibly lovely on a TV/monitor

The spec sheet says this thing can output up to 8k on a monitor but eh.

I'm sure it would have no issues doing 4k but not in games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

People are currently, at this very point, buying 5-6 year old video cards for more than this portable console/PC because you can’t find poo poo and keep things upgraded in any reasonable or timely fashion. The idea of thinking this will only have a 2 year shelf life is absolutely loving hilarious.

why do u think gpus will never exist again. how is the handheld w 8 CUs going to have any shelf life even at sub 1080p lol

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Leal posted:

Jesus christ

Wow :aaaaa:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is me right now

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Some of the takes in here are confirming this dead forum as boomerville

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Steam Deck looks cool as heck.
I don't give a hot balls what the thing looks like, I want to know what it's like to actually use. I've never used a Steam controller but I also have never been interested in one. I do however have a Valve Index and it's super well-built and nice if you're into VR, and the controllers for that are glorious things I adore.

I have no actual reason to buy a steam deck as I have my giant fat PC right in front of my giant, fat face, but I am intrigued in the tiny portable PC.

EDIT

victrix posted:

Some of the takes in here are confirming this dead forum as boomerville

absolutely this, you bunch of weirdo old people lol

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Khanstant posted:

to constantly post about videogames.

gross what sick person would do this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Can u hook this up to a valve index and finally get the portable vr experience everyone craves?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Play posted:

What? It'll output to whatever resolution screen you plug into it. At 1.6 Tflops it's not going to be doing much 4k gaming, but for general desktop usage/browsing it'll work perfectly competently as a PC.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

are the boomers the ones saying the specs aren't good enough or the ones saying the specs are good

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The idea of a portable device that could pull my whole Steam library is definitely tempting, but this is something where I'd want to have it out there for a few months and see some impressions on usability and performance from actual people.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean I just don't super have a use case for playing my PC games off my PC so it's not a product I need or want but there's no reason it can't be a good thing. I just think this particular design has some real ergonomics issues and hopefully you can plug another controller in or something.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cowcaster posted:

are the boomers the ones saying the specs aren't good enough or the ones saying the specs are good

They are the ones dismissing a new thing out of hand because it isn't what they are used to.

You know, a thing that boomers are known for.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
they shouldve made a commercial where someones snaps and changes the bg colour everytime they plug in one of the controllers it supports. like an 18 minute long commercial where every janky usb controller seller on aliexpress gets a time to shine.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Its only $50 more than the switch OLED lol

Good luck playing GOAT Super Mario Odyssey on the SteamDeck.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Can u hook this up to a valve index and finally get the portable vr experience everyone craves?
Official response from the IGN Q&A is basically "well, the ports are there, but it wasn't really the goal so your milage may vary"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

KakerMix posted:

They are the ones dismissing a new thing out of hand because it isn't what they are used to.

i mean at the end of the day it's a handheld console it's not the most paradigm shattering thing to ever be thought up

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think it should have the same control setup as the steam controller. Then it'll sell like hot cakes

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you just imagine this a literally a tiny little PC - plug it into a generic USB-C dock, and you can use whatever peripherals/screens you like. You don't even need to wait for the official dock, something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Docking-Station-Adapter-Multiport-MacBook-Gray-10-1/dp/B08MT3PKBB/

I assume will work fine.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

KakerMix posted:

lmao

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
2 hour battery life :whitewater:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
End of the day it'll be more powerful than the lazy rear end OLED switch, but less popular because Nintendo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You could slap yuzu on this thing, I wonder if this can emulate Switch games better than a Switch can play em.

Marx Headroom posted:

already losing to switch here, switch gets 2.5 hours

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I know you are joking but this thing should emulate the switch perfectly well and you would be able to play it.

This thing is an emulation powerhouse.

Khanstant posted:

You could slap yuzu on this thing, I wonder if this can emulate Switch games better than a Switch can play em.

Looking at the specs I think it could.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

:eng101: Actually this thing should run Yuzu just fine.

:efb:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Marx Headroom posted:

What else did you expect from a Game Gear?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Marx Headroom posted:

if it's USB-C, I wonder if you can plug like a Anker battery pack into it

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Saoshyant posted:

It's much closer to a PS5 than a Nintendo Switch, which was showing its age barely a year after being out and now feels ancient. In fact, this thing should run most multiplatform games you'll see on the PS5 because it will run them at a lower resolution.

Thank you. I don't think my eyes care about resolution above whatever this thing can probably do, so if I can run games at 60fps on it at a lower resolution I'll be satisfied.

Stux posted:

why do u think gpus will never exist again. how is the handheld w 8 CUs going to have any shelf life even at sub 1080p lol

edit: meant to quote this person whoops:

Deviant posted:

so what the hell am i supposed to do with this thing in 2 years when all my games have outpaced the hardware inside

Hey bud. It's a handheld gaming device, not a gaming PC. Nobody said "what am I supposed to do with this GameBoy Advance years from now when I can't run whatever games come out then". You buy it if you want to play games on it for a while, and then when games move past it, you either don't use it anymore or you use it to play the games you always played on it. It's a different thing than the thing you like.

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Any super powerful computer to some barebone raspberry pi is an emulation powerhouse