Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Stultus Maximus posted:

CJCS discussed a plan with the other top brass to resign en masse if Trump attempted to use the military to remain in office.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1415472541985083394

Wouldn't it have been better to refuse his orders and speak to the press to explain what he's trying to do and why the military is opposing it? Wouldn't mass resignations create lots of empty seats that could be filled with yes-men? It's not like trump would care about the optics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ASAPI posted:

Remember our hopes and dreams concerning the piss tape? Well... Russia has something:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/15/kremlin-papers-appear-to-show-putins-plot-to-put-trump-in-white-house

uh huh, "leaked" this is the FSB taking an extremely well deserved victory lap for the most succesfull op in history

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Best Friends posted:

Crypto put a lot of co2 into the atmosphere and facilitates scams and crimes, but our society has deemed those acceptable costs for the benefit of making some of the worst people out there rich.

https://twitter.com/thugcrowd/status/1415664315219292164?s=20

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wouldn't it have been better to refuse his orders and speak to the press to explain what he's trying to do and why the military is opposing it? Wouldn't mass resignations create lots of empty seats that could be filled with yes-men? It's not like trump would care about the optics

Perhaps, but I think that having the entire Joint Chiefs quit would also result in everyone down the chain from Trump's yes-men telling said yes-men to kiss their asses they're not following illegal orders.

The bigger point, I think, is that the JCS thought they needed a plan in case Trump attempted a military coup.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Perhaps, but I think that having the entire Joint Chiefs quit would also result in everyone down the chain from Trump's yes-men telling said yes-men to kiss their asses they're not following illegal orders.

The bigger point, I think, is that the JCS thought they needed a plan in case Trump attempted a military coup.

Alternatively if enough of the military is so far gone it might not matter what the JCS says or does so it'd be dudes fleeing for their life.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I doubt many of the commanders would go along with it. A majority of officers have hated Trump since the moment he took office. I think the more likely outcome would be small numbers of troops showing up to stuff like the 1/6 insurrection rather than entire units defecting. In my opinion the modern US military is too diverse for something like that to happen.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mustang posted:

I doubt many of the commanders would go along with it. A majority of officers have hated Trump since the moment he took office. I think the more likely outcome would be small numbers of troops showing up to stuff like the 1/6 insurrection rather than entire units defecting. In my opinion the modern US military is too diverse for something like that to happen.

I've also observed that every marine unit has the one dude who explains whats going on to the rest of the unit, and that no, no matter how much you love Trump showing up to an insurrection is a bad idea. Usually from an entirely "breaking the rules is really bad, remember?" Stance that makes me laugh as a civilian

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

ASAPI posted:

Remember our hopes and dreams concerning the piss tape? Well... Russia has something:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/15/kremlin-papers-appear-to-show-putins-plot-to-put-trump-in-white-house

I looked for five seconds and had a sad thought: does even this bit of news matter at all anymore?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Piss tape is real and gently caress you if you tell me otherwise

Lol they finally said the quiet part loud after 30 years.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Woodchip posted:

ring ring
ring ring
ring ring
ring ring
freedom-phone

As seen in putsch
It works with juche

Cellular
Modular
Libritariologer

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well Germany doesn't need no wobble I guess

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Eej posted:

Well Germany doesn't need no wobble I guess

Roll roll roll ya dough up and down the street

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hey look, the Freedom Fone is a big ol' grift with massive security issues!

https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen/status/1415767595102314496?s=19

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Hey look, the Freedom Fone is a big ol' grift with massive security issues!

https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen/status/1415767595102314496?s=19

The article just appears to be saying that all MediaTek devices are insecure which is completely ridiculous.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

All MediaTek devices are insecure.

FTFY.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Mustang posted:

in a lot of modern military coups you would have officers giving orders to enlisted telling them it was a training exercise, like in the turkish one recently. why should we expect the lower ranks to be fully cognizant of orders and their implications?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Suicide Watch posted:

in a lot of modern military coups you would have officers giving orders to enlisted telling them it was a training exercise, like in the turkish one recently. why should we expect the lower ranks to be fully cognizant of orders and their implications?

Social media

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

What about social media makes you think people are responsible and smart consumers?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

I'm saying they would never receive the order in the first place because the commanders would correctly view it as illegal, on top of already not caring all that much for Trump in the first place.

I have a hard time seeing enough Trump sympathizers up and down the huge bureaucracy of the military in enough key positions to actually get any kind of effective coup executed.

Millennial and zoomer officers in particular are not at all fans of Trump and his politics, despite generally being fairly conservative themselves. Trump would need to get the officer corps on his side, and he never did.

I doubt there's many militaries more diverse than the US's and I also have a hard time seeing those same troops going along with a coup as well. Which is why I think any military coup attempt wouldn't amount to more than some extremists heading to events like the insurrection on their own.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Mustang posted:

I'm saying they would never receive the order in the first place because the commanders would correctly view it as illegal, on top of already not caring all that much for Trump in the first place.

I have a hard time seeing enough Trump sympathizers up and down the huge bureaucracy of the military in enough key positions to actually get any kind of effective coup executed.

Millennial and zoomer officers in particular are not at all fans of Trump and his politics, despite generally being fairly conservative themselves. Trump would need to get the officer corps on his side, and he never did.

I doubt there's many militaries more diverse than the US's and I also have a hard time seeing those same troops going along with a coup as well. Which is why I think any military coup attempt wouldn't amount to more than some extremists heading to events like the insurrection on their own.

how many navy seals would show up though

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

TheWeedNumber posted:

how many navy seals would show up though

The proper plural collective would be a book signing of Navy SEALs.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

GD_American posted:

Lmao

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

A SOF board I used to read from time to time once had some dudes posting about how liberals are the biggest existential threat to the US today, so definitely more than 0.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

What about social media makes you think people are responsible and smart consumers?

I don’t think in the age of social media Joe Snuffy can say he didn’t know he was taking part in a coup.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/SuzyKhimm/status/1415351607026458631
Basically, the public housing standards are still from the 70s-early 90s and now, people are trying to bring them up to something reasonable. It's still a draft, because bureaucracy slow but they did reduce some of the proposed standards in the draft. If you care, you can click on this link below to give official feedback and tell HUD that these changes are dumb.

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/public_indian_housing/reac/nspire/standards-feedback

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
How would that even work? e: using the military for a reverse-coup, not HUD allowing deathtrap housing

Inauguration day: "Corporal, I need you to drive a tank up to the Capitol building and arrest Joe Biden. It's a... uh, training exercise."

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t think in the age of social media Joe Snuffy can say he didn’t know he was taking part in a coup.

bruh have you not seen Congress lately? That response seems to work p well

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

bruh have you not seen Congress lately? That response seems to work p well

I don’t give them the excuse of it being a training exercise either.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don't worry about a coup for Trump, but a less rude conservative facing off against someone to the left of Kamala Harris in the future, who knows how it goes. Officers are overwhelmingly conservative still and conservatives are going increasingly reactionary

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat, I'm sure the party in power is taking all this in and formulating a plan to keep it from happening again by bipartisaning even harder going forward

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

GD_American posted:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I think that's another case where you can see demographic trends in the civilian population reflected in the military, ie today the more educated you are the more likely you are to vote for Democrats.

They seem to be doubling down on the culture war stuff so I don't think we're going to see a less rude version, "the cruelty is the point".

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

drat, I'm sure the party in power is taking all this in and formulating a plan to keep it from happening again by bipartisaning even harder going forward

It is darkly funny how the people who were most insistent that Trump is a threat to the republic lined up solidly behind establishment Dems who completely disagree with that assessment.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A general paraphrase of a quote that more or less defines this social media era: we generally thought that people were stupid because they didn't have access to the information. Now, everyone has access to the information and we've been proven otherwise.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

A general paraphrase of a quote that more or less defines this social media era: we generally thought that people were stupid because they didn't have access to the information. Now, everyone has access to the information and we've been proven otherwise.

I think access just exasperated a problem that was already there. We would’ve gotten here eventually. The internet was just gasoline on an already burning fire.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mustang posted:

A SOF board I used to read from time to time once had some dudes posting about how liberals are the biggest existential threat to the US today, so definitely more than 0.

Jeez, I wish

GD_American posted:

Also lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

boop the snoot posted:

I think access just exasperated a problem that was already there. We would’ve gotten here eventually. The internet was just gasoline on an already burning fire.

I think you mean "exacerbated a problem", but honestly your sentence still works on a far deeper level than the grammatical.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think you mean "exacerbated a problem", but honestly your sentence still works on a far deeper level than the grammatical.

I don’t know how to spell either word and went with the one autocorrect gave me

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

boop the snoot posted:

I figured it was an autocorrect thing but it was just a really funny coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

boop the snoot posted:

This made the last two pages of doom and gloom worth sifting through. I can't spell for poo poo either.