Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

It seems like a more and more common “criticism” of AEW I’m seeing in these tweets is “it’s hard to follow.” And I keep wondering, what is? Are they all just poisoned by WWE so much that a storyline like Hangmam/Omega, which has a new significant chapter every week, confuses them; and they wish the two were just trading wins for two months straight?

I have noticed when people on youtube take a serious look at AEW from outside they start by praising the long-term storytelling.

Then poo poo on all the stuff I love because they weren't there for the long-term storytelling.

I'm looking at you OSW.

also, if you don't at least follow a good AEW thread you'll miss a lot of the storytelling they do on youtube and twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's actually impressive that WWE has trained its fans to be goldfish brained.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Akileese posted:

I share a ton of Red Bull New York/US Soccer mutuals with this guy and it led me down a rabbit hole of people who are heavy into US Soccer and hate watching AEW, which isn't a combo you would expect at first, but if you think about it logically supporting US Soccer is a gateway to hate watching things.

us soccer as in usmnt/uswnt or mls ?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's actually impressive that WWE has trained its fans to be goldfish brained.

i have no idea how you can defend that tripe after watching the past two years

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

graph posted:

us soccer as in usmnt/uswnt or mls ?

The mens team as well as MLS. If I had to guess, considering the mutuals we share, he's probably a New York Red Bulls supporter. The US Women's national team is actually fun to watch.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny Nox posted:

I have noticed when people on youtube take a serious look at AEW from outside they start by praising the long-term storytelling.

Then poo poo on all the stuff I love because they weren't there for the long-term storytelling.

I'm looking at you OSW.

also, if you don't at least follow a good AEW thread you'll miss a lot of the storytelling they do on youtube and twitter.

Luckily subtext is for cowards and the promos get increasingly explicit as you near the fireworks factory. Like if you don’t understand the Hangman / Omega story at this point there is something wrong with you. They’re flat out recapping it in the promos.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Jonny Nox posted:

I'm looking at you OSW.

Is OSW still calling people of color "Noggers" and giggling about it because it sounds very similar to the "N" word?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

One of the things I hated about the WWE during the short time I watched it (I got introduced to wrestling through TNA; a TNA Original, baby) is how they used to make stale and utterly boring tag-teams out of random wrestlers who had nothing to do with each other just because they were babyfaces.

The same is happening with Eddie Kingston and whoever his babyface tag partner is going to be this week. Throw him with Moxley, give them a title shot. Throw him randomly with Pentagon, give them a title shot. That is VERY WWE whether anyone admits it or not.

Just last week he had a title shot with Pentagon but this week he was pom-poming for Moxley. That's just stupid.

I do not like what they're doing. One of the best things about AEW when it began was that even the heels got cheered and babyfaces got rooted against at times. Now it's whatever Pentagon does he'll get cheered. He can steal a lolipop from a crying child and people will still zero miedo with him.

I hate the WWE and love AEW, but I don't like this stuff they're trying to pull.

And while I'm at it, Moxley winning with a single paradigm shift is the closest thing to a John Cena match I've seen on AEW.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Pylons posted:

One of the best things about AEW when it began was that even the heels got cheered and babyfaces got rooted against at times.

So I guess this person missed the Cage/Starks match last night huh?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

bartok posted:

Is OSW still calling people of color "Noggers" and giggling about it because it sounds very similar to the "N" word?

Is that why they use that word? I just assumed it was a cultural reference to something that I didn't get being American, since they make a lot of references to candy and other stuff that have silly names I've never heard of.

If that's why they use that term, though, that sucks!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

'Nogger' is a brand of ice cream, to my knowledge it came about with OSW because of a joke that Virgil's suit once looked like the wrapper to one and was hesitant to make the joke at first, but it caught on I guess.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/RealistSpeaking/status/1415749167788576771

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Vegas just won the fuckin Stanley Cup what the gently caress

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Pylons posted:

"Just last week he had a title shot with Pentagon but this week he was pom-poming for Moxley. That's just stupid."

I am also confused with the concept of someone having two friends.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ahh yes which is why new products have never failed

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ah yes, that's why new businesses always succeed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This is the exact opposite of how established brands work. Like he's just 100% wrong here. Amazing. Cant wait to release my new cola and instantly out sell Coke because people always buy new things.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think this dude might be the dumbest motherfucker you've ever found.

Also lets be real, there are some AEW fans that are complete dipshits because dipshits are everywhere. Stupidity is most common element in the universe, so they say.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
love too hear common sense discourse from twitter user at Realist Speaking

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

Is that why they use that word? I just assumed it was a cultural reference to something that I didn't get being American, since they make a lot of references to candy and other stuff that have silly names I've never heard of.

If that's why they use that term, though, that sucks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5bVAQHc9-k
The origin of the term in their "What [candy] bar does this wrestler look like"

They then worked the joke into everything they could: the name for their fanbase, their patreon and their annual awards show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Thing is, even if we take the "new and shiny" part as true, THEY'RE BOTH NEW AND SHINY RIGHT NOW. we've just had sixteen months without arena wrestling in the USA, fans are crying out for it!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

by his logic Global Force wrestling was the top promotion for a summer.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

Ahh yes which is why new products have never failed

why, just consider the wild and unqualified success of the plucky young XFL, which is no doubt the new global favorite for hard-hitting, fast football action

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

The countdown is on until someone earnestly makes the argument that of course AEW is doing well right now, because it has momentum from a few shows people liked, and you can’t count that because it’s just a fluke and no promotion can sustain consistently good shows.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

The countdown is on until someone earnestly makes the argument that of course AEW is doing well right now, because it has momentum from a few shows people liked, and you can’t count that because it’s just a fluke and no promotion can sustain consistently good shows.

there are a few outliers but on a long enough timeline, most promotions fail. Otherwise all wrestling would happen under the shadow of the immortal throne of Jim Barnett.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

mactheknife posted:

I'm sorry to quote myself here but this guy uses the 2020 NHL Champions as his example of "people like the shiny new thing" which really just makes the point "people like better stuff"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

coconono posted:

That tracks. Have tou seen the Global Force roster?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lid posted:

That tracks. Have tou seen the Global Force roster?

can't see the screen, buried in global force gold

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

We already used to have the argument that AEW was beating NXT because they were “promoting it more and building cards for shows” like it was an unfair advantage

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mactheknife posted:

No they didn't. Made it to the finals in their 1st year, lost in the conference finals this season. Never won the cup.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

mactheknife posted:

I'm sorry to quote myself here but this guy uses the 2020 NHL Champions as his example of "people like the shiny new thing" which really just makes the point "people like better stuff"

vegas never won :twisted:

d’oh

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

coconono posted:

I mean, it tracks. Wrestle Kingdom 9 was a banger

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pylons posted:

Now it's whatever Pentagon does he'll get cheered. He can steal a lolipop from a crying child and people will still zero miedo with him.
Imagine thinking that cheering for the ninja skeleton man even when he's a complete rear end in a top hat isn't one of the best things about Penta. :miedo:

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

yea ok posted:

vegas never won :twisted:

d’oh

i'm a fuckin idiot, oops, whatever

this is why i never post

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I must follow up to report the Supply and Demand guy did something I never expected.

https://twitter.com/RealistSpeaking/status/1415766105277272065

https://twitter.com/RealistSpeaking/status/1415765841828851713

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh good, his stupidity is curable.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

It's only been 2 years they have not really proven themselves

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

The countdown is on to someone earnestly posting that AEW is successful because they are putting on shows people like and this is unfair to WWE.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

he's not wrong about the tag team complaint, it sucks when wwe does this. however, kingston and mox have a LONG history together and have had a crossway relationship with Penta from when Eddie joined Lucha Bros so uhhhh nothing about it was randomly throwing people together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

smh AEW can’t crack a mil without running back an EVOLVE main event from 4 years ago.