Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ninjewtsu posted:

Will it have an english dub or anything?

Have the existing srw games got any non-Japanese voices, or is it always japanese voices with other options for text?

Yeah this is the fourth game they've translated into English period (not counting their original character games that got releases on the GBA or the machine translated original character game they did).

The games in English are V, X and T. All are available on Switch and PS4 if you import from Hong Kong or Singapore. V and X are also on Steam but not available in North America and they might VAT ban you if you try country fuckery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

From what I remember V's English translation is pretty dire, there's a lot of machine translation going on. I think they put in more effort for X and T though.

Oh nice, looks like MSV and Z-MSV are included with 0079 and Zeta, so I can give Amuro the Dijeh SE-R.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just get mneidgarde to help translate

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

From what I remember V's English translation is pretty dire, there's a lot of machine translation going on. I think they put in more effort for X and T though.

Moon Dwellers is borderline unreadable, V is awkward but you can tell what's happening, and by X they had things together enough to actually be good.

Of course, X also had recruitable Glemmy, so, you know. Still some issues until T. (Which also gives us Char and Haman as an acerbic sitcom couple in the DLC.)

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Bloody Pom posted:

From what I remember V's English translation is pretty dire, there's a lot of machine translation going on.

That was OG Moon Dwellers, V was much better, with X and T improving upon that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Moon Dwellers was absolute garbled nonsense while V/X/T got actual translations that progressively got more money and time put into them. V isn't perfect but its definitely in the realm of 'pretty good' overall.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

Yeah, Moon Dwellers was absolute garbled nonsense while V/X/T got actual translations that progressively got more money and time put into them. V isn't perfect but its definitely in the realm of 'pretty good' overall.

Yeah, we went from this:

To this:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Shouldn't ple and Marida be the same age

Also which Gundams are gonna be in 30

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

SRW always, always has time fuckery of one kind or another.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

V has Unicorn taking place basically right after ZZ and CCA with Marida being artificially aged. Which is nowhere near the most they've hosed with the UC timeline

There are games where they had the events of 0079, Zeta, ZZ, and Victory happening in tandem.

X has as part of its backstory Endless Waltz, ZZ, F91, CCA and Dunbine's finale taking place at the same time with insane battle lines which ends in a horrific power vacuum that then leads to Lelouch taking over the world. Also Tobia from Crossbone is thrown back in time ten years and has to awkwardly act like he has amnesia and just rolls with everyone.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 15, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Just UC. There's going to be Mobile Suits from the original, and some combination of the plots of Z, CCA, Victory, and Narrative.

(I blame Akane Shinjo for anything about the timeline that doesn't make sense..)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Zore posted:

V has Unicorn taking place basically right after ZZ and CCA with Marida being artificially aged. Which is nowhere near the most they've hosed with the UC timeline

There are games where they had the events of 0079, Zeta, ZZ, and Victory happening in tandem.

X has as part of its backstory Endless Waltz, ZZ, F91, CCA and Dunbine's finale taking place at the same time with insane battle lines which ends in a horrific power vacuum that then leads to Lelouch taking over the world. Also Tobia from Crossbone is thrown back in time ten years and has to awkwardly act like he has amnesia and just rolls with everyone.

Technically ZZ, CCA, and F91 were one world in X, while another world had Dunbine, Code Geas and Wing's finale a few years ago, with Endless Waltz happening right now.

Caros
May 14, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Just UC. There's going to be Mobile Suits from the original, and some combination of the plots of Z, CCA, Victory, and Narrative.

(I blame Akane Shinjo for anything about the timeline that doesn't make sense..)

Total loving weaksauce on that front.

I wonder if it a licensing issue or something, because I think the last non-UC gundam that got added to a SRW game was what, 00 gundam? G-reco, if you count it as closer to Turn A in terms of departure from UC.

Skipping build fighters/try/divers/rerise I at least get because anything but the last one requires a bit of a fiddly plot to include anything but units only. And skipping AGE I get because it is AGE. But no IBO? Still?

Let me mace someone into paste you cowards.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Caros posted:

I wonder if it a licensing issue or something, because I think the last non-UC gundam that got added to a SRW game was what, 00 gundam? G-reco, if you count it as closer to Turn A in terms of departure from UC.

Skipping build fighters/try/divers/rerise I at least get because anything but the last one requires a bit of a fiddly plot to include anything but units only. And skipping AGE I get because it is AGE. But no IBO? Still?

AGE was in BX for the 3DS, IBO is in DD which is a gacha.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Caros posted:

To be fair the last time we had a game with just UC and not any AU shows as well was all the way back in 2004 with SRW GC(which recently had a fan translation for it finish up)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrqtkpizV5g

Overwatch but Mobile Suits? Sounds interesting. Nice that there's non-UC stuff too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Inferno-sama posted:

AGE was in BX for the 3DS, IBO is in DD which is a gacha.

Apparently, there were discussions about what was going into DD and what was going into T, since they wanted both to have series the other didn't as a draw for players.

IBO was picked for the mobile game since T was going for more of a throwback audience. Meanwhile, 30 is leaning more towards the nostalgia anniversary thing, so they seem to be getting Gundam, Mazinger, and Getter in the most "Oh, those guys" format.

I figure the next regular SRW is likely to have IBO. It's popular in the west, and its value as a seller for DD is going to be mostly used. No predicting the future, of course, but it seems reasonable as a guess in the absence of further data.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Overwatch but Mobile Suits? Sounds interesting. Nice that there's non-UC stuff too.

Also a surprisingly varied assortment of suits, like when was the last time the DOM Trooper was included in anything besides a G Gen game

Shame this will probably murder the GBO2 community though

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If I'm gonna watch Wing for the first time, should I go dub or sub? I hear the dub is pretty amusing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Also a surprisingly varied assortment of suits, like when was the last time the DOM Trooper was included in anything besides a G Gen game

Shame this will probably murder the GBO2 community though

On a second look it seems like it's going to be PC Only

Ibblebibble posted:

If I'm gonna watch Wing for the first time, should I go dub or sub? I hear the dub is pretty amusing.

Dub is amusing but sub will probably make things just a tad clearer which considering how weird Wing can get can definitely be a plus in it's own merits

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I definitely noticed the little icon for Turn A in the team UI.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ibblebibble posted:

sub since you don’t have dumb early 00’s dub nostalgia like the rest of us

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

sub since you don’t have dumb early 00’s dub nostalgia like the rest of us

No nostalgia here, it's still good. If folks can unanimously recommend the G Gundam dub, I think the dub with David Kaye is 100% defensible, and he was just one of the many tragically underheard Ocean VAs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Dub. The dub is actively terrible but a perfect fit for Wing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If it lends the same energy to the show as the G Gundam dub then I might lean dub.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

If it lends the same energy to the show as the G Gundam dub then I might lean dub.

Wing and G are very different and thus so are their dubs but their dubs each capture the essence of what makes their show special.

The Wing dub is kinda rough at first, especially in Episode 1, but it does improve.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

NikkolasKing posted:

David Kaye is 100% defensible, and he was just one of the many tragically underheard Ocean VAs.

David Kaye is one of the most heard voice actors around. (He's the current ”trailer guy.")

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look if a show has Best Megatron in it I'll watch it.

Yessssss

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Listen to a dub for a few episodes and if you hate it, switch

Advanced anime techniques ITT

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
RIP best voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The wing dub isn't good for nostalgia reasons. It's good because it is very funny, in exactly the same way wing is very funny, and if you aren't laughing at wing it isn't that great of a show

Once you learn to view the ridiculous melodrama of wing as a campy joke instead of incompetent drama it's a much better show and the dub leans into that

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You watch Wing dubbed because it’s extremely funny and highlights the fact that every character acts like they have rabies, which is truer to the original text than watching subtitled Japanese

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd say that even with the silly dub you get great performances from Scott McNeil and Brian Drummond. And Campbell Lane brings his best Homeworld Narrator voice.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
only cowards watch wing subbed

also heres the roster for the overwatch game
https://twitter.com/WarpedEngine/status/1415579750177837063

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That is a bizarre assortment of mobile suits.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they are specifically targeting me with asshimar inclusion

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gonna main Asshimar and yell "NOOOO!! MY ASSHIMAR!" every time I die.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kuvo posted:

only cowards watch wing subbed

also heres the roster for the overwatch game
https://twitter.com/WarpedEngine/status/1415579750177837063

This is such a bizarre mix of grunt suits and series they're pulling from.

Really happy someone remembered the Asshimar exists, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Where the gently caress are Leo and Tallgeese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i wonder if the weird roster is due to the devs coming up with some gameplay idea then trying to match it to an existing suit