Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Clarkson is still a massive piece of poo poo, but this was ten times more enjoyable than the vast, vast majority of Grand Tour. I'm sure scripted to hell and back, it just worked a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

Clarkson is still a massive piece of poo poo, but this was ten times more enjoyable than the vast, vast majority of Grand Tour. I'm sure scripted to hell and back, it just worked a lot better.

I would imagine anything that wasn't just Clarkson (and possibly his girlfriend) wasn't scripted beyond Clarkson doing something silly and then filming the other party's reaction. A good chunk of it is probably also just framing of shots and scenes to make them look sillier in context.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

I would imagine anything that wasn't just Clarkson (and possibly his girlfriend) wasn't scripted beyond Clarkson doing something silly and then filming the other party's reaction. A good chunk of it is probably also just framing of shots and scenes to make them look sillier in context.

OTOH, everything was scripted in the sense that nothing happened spontaneously. The farm was just a set for the Clarkson Comedy Capers.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Deteriorata posted:

OTOH, everything was scripted in the sense that nothing happened spontaneously. The farm was just a set for the Clarkson Comedy Capers.

There's no comedy about not plowing in straight lines. That's some serious poo poo. They'll remember it forever........

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Budgie posted:

There's no comedy about not plowing in straight lines. That's some serious poo poo. They'll remember it forever........

I mean, everyone can see it from the road.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Don't need to script things when you shoot hundreds of hours for every episode

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
100% of it was scripted, all TV is scripted. They repeat the joke until it's funny. Old school Top Gear did it every episode.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

How exactly do you script a lamb birthing?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Farmers have figured out how to predict pregnant animals will give birth for quite some time now?

Is Jeremy funny off the cuff? Sure. But if it doesn't work the first time they'll reshoot the same spontaneous joke as many times as it takes until the participants are satisfied that it was funniest with those pauses, and that emphasis.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't want to even remember how many times they had to go back hours later and reshoot the "spontaneous" improv songs in Whose Line Is It Anyway at the taping I was in the audience for one time.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Data Graham posted:

I don't want to even remember how many times they had to go back hours later and reshoot the "spontaneous" improv songs in Whose Line Is It Anyway at the taping I was in the audience for one time.

I always wondered if any of that was actually improvised. Thanks for letting me know! But I guess my world is now shattered.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

How exactly do you script a lamb birthing?

Scripting one dying was pretty callous.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Let me clarify, they were improvised, but for half the bits they would have to reshoot them for some dumb reason or other and they would come back to it after doing six hours of returning-from-commercial applause shots to do a pick-up take where they had to remember they lyrics they'd made up that morning and sing them again and burst out laughing at each other like they'd just come up with them right then.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I thought the bit where Calum turns up in his Nissan 350(?) was a cynical attempt to paint Jeremy in a good light - 'see, I'm paying him well enough he can afford his dream car!'

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah they scripted the worst environmental swings in a generation and the covid pandemic.
Clarkson the top gear/grand tour presenter is a character that plays up stereotypes that he only partially believes in. Clarkson the commentator/columnist is a slightly different take on the same character. Clarkson the documentary filmmaker is more close to his real person. Clarkson the real human being is mostly normal. Clarkson the farmer is a blend of all 4.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
hosed up that Clarkson invented Covid19 in order to make the script of his show more interesting.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
For those that have watched Clarkson Farm, is there any animal death/butchering or anything in it? I’m watching it with some folks that recently had a traumatic animal experience, and don’t want it to be triggering for them. Plus, I don’t really want to see Clarkson kill a chicken or pig or something.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I don't remember there being anything graphic, but there's a sequence where he drops some sheep off at the slaughterhouse. It's surprisingly melancholy for a Clarkson thing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

blunt posted:

I don't remember there being anything graphic, but there's a sequence where he drops some sheep off at the slaughterhouse. It's surprisingly melancholy for a Clarkson thing.

Which we find out later was completely faked, another Clarkson gimmick. (Clarkson's melancholy, that is, not the sheep going to the slaughterhouse, as he delights in the mutton from them.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are gross lamb birthing scenes

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
There's also that one that died after he tried to nurse it back to health.

Deteriorata posted:

Which we find out later was completely faked, another Clarkson gimmick. (Clarkson's melancholy, that is, not the sheep going to the slaughterhouse, as he delights in the mutton from them.)

It's not unheard of for someone to get surprisingly affected taking an animal to slaughter for the first time and then get over it later since that was always the plan eventually.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 5, 2021

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

frogbs posted:

For those that have watched Clarkson Farm, is there any animal death/butchering or anything in it?

There's no slaughterhouse action but several animals do pass away of natural causes and are shown onscreen. A couple of lambs don't make it and a ram passes away. Otherwise, some sheep are delivered to an abotoir but only the empty pen is shown. Clarkson later claims to eat them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Plus they show the packaged meat from them, nothing you wouldn't see in the supermarket but just in case it was that traumatic.

frogbs posted:

Plus, I don’t really want to see Clarkson kill a chicken or pig or something.
If not for the obvious ethical concerns that would be hilarious

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
What episode of TG did they find the roadkill cow and then asked "How do you... peel it?"

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Budgie posted:

What episode of TG did they find the roadkill cow and then asked "How do you... peel it?"

S09E03, the America special.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

I've seen many a documentary about farm life / introducing city folk to farm life where people get sad about animals being killed but then still being fine with eating them. This is not fake or gimmick.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr Beens posted:

I've seen many a documentary about farm life / introducing city folk to farm life where people get sad about animals being killed but then still being fine with eating them. This is not fake or gimmick.
This is Jeremy Clarkson. Of course it's a gimmick, it's one of his standard bits. He did that sort of thing constantly in Top Gear.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

In the episode with the sheep shearing, Ellen sounds just like Kaleb and I assumed she was related to Gerald and Kaleb since according to the credits, it appears Gerald is Kaleb’s dad (same last name), but Ellen has a different last name.

E: also - the small town folk that live in the Cotswalds village near Clarkson have to absolutely hate him considering the traffic jams when he posted on Twitter for his shop :lmao:

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 6, 2021

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

They did burn his hay.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Are you really detached from the reality enough that you think this is intentional and not just one thing on the road for a sheep farmer? It is one thing to deliver (and separate) them yourself, than sending the main herd off when they are up to be sold.

It is two different things to deliver something to be killed, and hearing that your lifestock, which was sent to a processing facility, is done with.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

Are you really detached from the reality enough that you think this is intentional and not just one thing on the road for a sheep farmer? It is one thing to deliver (and separate) them yourself, than sending the main herd off when they are up to be sold.

It is two different things to deliver something to be killed, and hearing that your lifestock, which was sent to a processing facility, is done with.

If it were anyone other than Jeremy Clarkson I might think it was sincere.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Never understand why people who hate the guy so much waste their time watching his show. Or if you haven’t watched it, why you think your opinion is needed.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:lol:

Move over, Farmer Clarkson. That sidekick, Kaleb Cooper, is outstanding in your field

quote:

Like many TV stars, Kaleb Cooper is mobbed by fans wherever he goes. On a birthday trip to Stratford-upon-Avon last weekend he was asked for selfies by a gaggle of England football supporters, and women on a hen night told Cooper that seeing him had made their day.

Unlike most TV stars, he is a 23-year-old farmer whose idea of relaxation is driving a tractor. Cooper has shot to fame as Jeremy Clarkson’s sidekick on Clarkson’s Farm, an Amazon Prime series set in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire.

His enthusiasm for farming, his no-nonsense attitude and withering put-downs of the Sunday Times columnist have helped him become the breakout TV star of the summer.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kaleb fuckin owns

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sucks that he can't travel without getting recognized anymore though,

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Cojawfee posted:

Sucks that he can't travel without getting recognized anymore though,

He could just change his haircut.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/1415602663685754883

The Scotland grand tour special is finally coming, july 30th.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Is that a Cadillac with side pipes?

:swoon:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
There is a longer trailer on YouTube

https://youtu.be/eU2qTumPxf0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

SlowBloke posted:

There is a longer trailer on YouTube

https://youtu.be/eU2qTumPxf0

That's the one I saw when I looked it up this morning. Show looks great, like always.

Stupid thing is that I tried to watch the trailer on Amazon Prime first, but they didn't have it. So I had to look up the trailer for the Amazon Prime release on YouTube. That seems... counterproductive for Amazon Prime.