Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Good Guardian Opinion piece.

That's really sad to hear about Dawn. Her sense of humour even about her declining health was the best kind of extremely online.

She also mentioned something about helping community pharmacies as well as the doggo charity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Saw a Corbyn post about Dawn on Facebook, returned to the thread for shared misery (what it is best at, amirite). Godspeed to an excellent person.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Just so sad to learn the news of Dawn Foster's passing :smith:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RIP to a real one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1415747401478979591?s=19

I'm somewhat surprised they bothered but the replies are at least good.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Jesus, the loving Guardian's got a piece up about the 'tragedy' of her death, somehow managing to omit the fact that they never commissioned her again after she broke their line that Corbyn was a monster and his party critics were heroic angels. Shameless bastards.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Oh drat that's such a shame about Dawn Foster, she was funny and cool by journo standards. 33 is no age. I know she had epilepsy and stuff but I didn't think she was that ill

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, I'm normally not that concerned when public figures die but I feel really lovely about this. I admired Dawn: she was warm and human and never showed any self-pity with her sickness and hospitalisations. And she was so young as well.

Urgh, I'm having a drink.

Precisely this :smith:

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think the highest compliment I can pay to it is that every once in a while I remember the last two episodes and smile. Not just at the actual ending of the story, which was moving without being schmaltzy and somehow managed to make three of the four main characters choosing to end their existence seem like a happy ending and even get a few laughs out of it Jason's "Hey Chidi wait up!" is just the most perfect summary of the character and so the perfect ending for him, but at the meta-game of how the writers managed to escape what was, between seasons 2 and 3, looking increasingly like a fairly repetitive formula and throw in a hell of a twist right at what would have been, for a less brave creator, a natural ending point when they got to The Good Place having finally fixed the problems of the scoring system - to not only decide to explore the problems of a "perfect" eternity but also solve them once you've got to that point is ballsy as *hell*, no matter what way you cut it.

Also this is why I'm spoiler-tagging the plot of a show that ended almost 2 years ago, because - and I cannot stress this enough - if you haven't yet seen this show you *have* to give it a go. Like you know sometimes when people rave about something and you watch it and it's actually a bit meh, and somehow that's more annoying than if it was actually poo poo? Well no fear of that here. It's as close to perfection as a 30-minute sitcom can get. Not even with the normal US sitcom caveat of "Skip the first/last seasons", even the bits that sag a bit lay the foundations for the ending. Go watch it now.

Thanks for posting that. I watched the 4 seasons over the last few days. What a glorious show.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nice tribute from MaryLou

https://twitter.com/MaryLouMcDonald/status/1415761899623489536?s=19

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Rip Dawn. She was good.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1415769335386214407?s=19

This is the one thing we didn't want to happen

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Aw man. That's really sad.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

When you start operating on multiple levels of irony, you're posting content that will be enjoyed sincerely by most of the internet. People like dril take it to a surreal level that kinda transcends what I'm talking about.
I can't really criticise because I do take a certain perverse enjoyment in things like Hussein of Trashfuture's soup tweet. And it's easier to spot when you know the account, like the Simon Hedges accounts.

The tweet I quoted though makes me think of those alt-right 'parody sites' where they just make up lies, forget to add a joke and then put a tiny disclaimer at the bottom saying it's parody.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

hairdressing appointments are that difficult to get right now?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jel Shaker posted:

hairdressing appointments are that difficult to get right now?

Male or female? Depends on your area I suppose.
My local male hairdresser was in the local paper complaining no one was going to them any more.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah my barber's been absolutely empty since they reopened. Whenever you go in the owner is laid out over the empty waiting chairs staring into space.

Maybe people have gotten used to buzz cuts or getting cuts from their partner/mum? :shrug:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That'll be interesting to see, all the things people have stopped giving a poo poo about during lockdown that they're expected to start doing now everything's opening back up.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The lad who did my hair last time was fresh back from cutting all the Wales football team's hair before they flew out, he was showing me all the photos on his phone. Here he is.

The Wales football team did not have good haircuts :(

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
In our town, the traditional barbers has closed for good but we seem to have several 'turkish hot towel' barbers open. There are also numerous women's hairdressers - they're in clusters. 3 at one end of town, 3 at the other end of town, and another 4 or 5 scattered around!
Seems like hairshops, cafes (yet another new one has opened up) - I can think of 12 just in our high street (which takes approx 7 mins for me to walk the full length of) - are the only ones that are thriving (apart from the supermarkets). I guess you can't order a haircut over the internet, nor socialize over a coffee.
Also, some of the hairdressers have put tables and chair outsides and started serving coffee!
Most bizarre.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Much like how pressure from the medical profession stopped barbers from also being surgeons and vice versa, pressure from the new public health regulations will create the barber barista.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I went for my first haircut at the barber's in a year+ last weekend (Mrs Boat has gotten pretty good with the clippers but we're going to a wedding) and the place was empty when I walked in. Might have just caught them at a quiet moment.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Proper gutted about Dawn. Never seemed anything less than absolutely lovely, always had her head on right, and that rarest of jewels, a UK media person who wasn't a danger.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In our town, the traditional barbers has closed for good but we seem to have several 'turkish hot towel' barbers open. There are also numerous women's hairdressers - they're in clusters. 3 at one end of town, 3 at the other end of town, and another 4 or 5 scattered around!
Seems like hairshops, cafes (yet another new one has opened up) - I can think of 12 just in our high street (which takes approx 7 mins for me to walk the full length of) - are the only ones that are thriving (apart from the supermarkets). I guess you can't order a haircut over the internet, nor socialize over a coffee.
Also, some of the hairdressers have put tables and chair outsides and started serving coffee!
Most bizarre.

Turkish barbers are great though, the whole ear flame thing leaves you feeling good.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Ms Adequate posted:

Proper gutted about Dawn. Never seemed anything less than absolutely lovely, always had her head on right, and that rarest of jewels, a UK media person who wasn't a danger.

Same. Truly heart breaking. As if we didn't already know it, but... There truly is no justice.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Turkish barbers are great though, the whole ear flame thing leaves you feeling good.

Ear flame? Please enlighten me. I've never been to a turkish barbers.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ms Adequate posted:

Well said. Dawn was a breath of fresh air in the British media cesspit and will be sorely missed.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ear flame? Please enlighten me. I've never been to a turkish barbers.

Oh right! So they light a small taper and kind of lightly brush/tap it across your ears, to remove any stray hairs on your then. It's quite theatrically done, and very much part of the turkish barber experience - but if you are a generally hairy person and get random hairs on your ears, it's great for leaving you feeling extremely shorn afterwards/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if they tried that they'd just set my head on fire, as any ear hair I have is mixed in with the great mass of hair everywhere around the ear also.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I think if they tried that they'd just set my head on fire, as any ear hair I have is mixed in with the great mass of hair everywhere around the ear also.

As you're already in a barbers there's an easy solution to that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that is the general reason why I haven't ever been to a hairdresser because that would imply I want hair removed.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

A hot towel shave at the Turkish barbers is one of my little joys. Just leaves me feeling so clean afterwards.

Like, no matter how close you think you can shave yourself, it's nothing compared to what they can do with a hot towel and a cutthroat razor.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

cutthroat razor

no loving thank you

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Dude who took the knee on GBNews has been fired

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1415747755297984524

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1415765102347882503?s=20

probably because

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1415788604916445191?s=20

heh

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I bet they had to wait for Andrew Neil to come back from holiday before they could do anything.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

I could do a twitch stream of me flicking runner beans at a wall for hours and get more views

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We can all draw some small joy from the legendary corncobbing that is that entire channel.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ah, cancelling one of their own, fired from the station that’s supposedly about free speech.

The Turkish barber experience is great. I can do my own hair so I do, but I miss going to the barber every now and again for proper shaping etc.

A barber/espresso bar has opened near me, so coffee and haircuts is obviously becoming a Thing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

It's like a Reverse Milk Shake Duck.

"GB News retreats to inform you that one of It's presenters isn't enough of a racist."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I have a shitload of stuff to do before I go on holiday next week, so my brain did this to me:

https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1415807509495943171

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Man that really sucks about Dawn. Engaged with her on Twitter now and then. She was lovely. Never once saw a bad take from her, which I guess puts her only in the company of like, Ash Sarkar, as far as left media people in the UK.