Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ugh they did it in ミスタースパーコル already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Fur20 posted:

i've said it before but you would think that after nearly 50 years of producing animes and video games where a megavirus manifests at the tokyo olympics which causes 95% of the human population to be obliterated and demons to roam the earth, japan would be a liiiiittle less blasé about this

Maybe this was their plan all along. :tinfoil:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

People were saying the data was wildly different depending on the source and I was wondering if accidents had happened is all.

We now know a lot of the early AstraZeneca information on the Internet is messed up for a crazy reason - the head of MI5 said yesterday there had been a deliberate Russian disinformation campaign targeting it. (He didn’t say why AZ in particular)

Vaccines like everything else are being used in attempts to expand spheres of influence, and it's to Russia's political advantage to disparage AZ (which is by far the biggest part of COVAX) to make countries turn to Sputnik.

Having said that of course it's also to the political advantage of MI5 to talk up the threat of scary evil Russian disinfo.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

learnincurve posted:

We now know a lot of the early AstraZeneca information on the Internet is messed up for a crazy reason - the head of MI5 said yesterday there had been a deliberate Russian disinformation campaign targeting it. (He didn’t say why AZ in particular)
They've gone after mrna vaccines too. If you were reading In The Pipeline this past year there were a weird number of commenters eager to talk poo poo about vaccines and defend the honor of the russian government. Except, suddenly, in the comments on thr article about the humiliating refusal of approval for sputnik in Brazil due to their qc issues, where there were suddenly a totally new batch of commenters taking a different tack, lamenting how 'political' everything had gotten and how good the Russian vaccine really was. For some reason on that one in particular the other new commenters who normally have a lot to say about Russia didn't comment at all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fur20 posted:

i've said it before but you would think that after nearly 50 years of producing animes and video games where a megavirus manifests at the tokyo olympics which causes 95% of the human population to be obliterated and demons to roam the earth, japan would be a liiiiittle less blasé about this

Unironically, I'm hoping there's a teen on future motorcycle vs. psychic former friend battle staged during the opening ceremony. You have the perfect opportunity, Japan, don't blow it and just have a bunch of people dancing with cherry blossoms or something.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Is there any reason other than "We spent shitloads of money to bribe IOC members and ungodly amount of money to host it and now we have to see some returns before people realise they can absolutely be without Olympics" to go with this thing?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i believe it's something like "there's a contract clause that will economically gently caress japan into a third world country for the next century if they don't host AN olympics by this date"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fur20 posted:

i believe it's something like "there's a contract clause that will economically gently caress japan into a third world country for the next century if they don't host AN olympics by this date"

I don't know if it's still the case but last year Japan were gung-ho about hosting it even as the rest of the world went into lockdown (to the point where there were some extremely :thunk: case numbers coming out of there). You forget there's an awful lot of (perceived) prestige in hosting the Olympics, which is why countries want to host them even knowing just how big the losses on them are.

[ASK] me about my taxpayer-subsidised football season ticket because the UK government are so completely desperate to pretend that there's some sort of lasting legacy to 2012.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Japan really wants to one-up Beijing's 2008 performance. The fact that Beijing also won a Winter Olympic bid (eight months from now!) in the interim also weighs heavily.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Sweet, that's where I live. Guess it's time to go back into Hermit Mode for a while. Generally speaking, people here still practice masking up and social distancing, but I'm not taking any chances.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 16, 2021

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I swear to God if ego-driven bullshit could be eradicated from large-scale human interactions, we'd be in so much of a better place.
Imagine if whole loving countries didn't evolve foreign policy on the basis of "Country B will totally laugh at us unless we do X!?!"

Tell em to go and shite, and then do what's best for ur country :colbert:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Back to masks

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lmao people are gonna get shot in even greater numbers than at the start, I feel really bad for any minimum wage serfs trying to enforce it.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

MarcusSA posted:

Back to masks

Yep I knew that this was gonna happen. Even before knowing about the Delta variant I knew that the mask mandates were lifted far too early.

People are really gonna lose their poo poo. It shouldn't have even been lifted in the first place. :ughh:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

MarcusSA posted:

Back to masks

EugeneDebsWasCool posted:

What kind of anti-vax nonsense is this? This is absolutely incorrect and dangerous. Masks are a stopgap at best but they were the best thing we had at the time. A good N95 can also provide protection for those that a vaccine may not be fully effective in too of course.

I wonder why people ever this believed this was true?!!

Oh wait, they're loving idiots.

Maybe people will finally realize that vaccines and NPI both need to be used in concert, as required.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 15, 2021

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
So with all the talk about boosters and mixing vaccines from different manufacturers, are people in the US able to just show up and get a 3rd shot if they want?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

So with all the talk about boosters and mixing vaccines from different manufacturers, are people in the US able to just show up and get a 3rd shot if they want?

There’s poo poo for tracking done so I could probably get a shot a week if I wanted.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

There are people in CSPAM who’ve had 4 or 5 shots lol

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Steiner Math, but for vaccine efficacy

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Galewolf posted:

There Was An Attempt Meme.jpeg

Calling the Olympic Village orgies being ground zero for superspreader event.

They’re way ahead of you

https://sea.mashable.com/culture/16276/please-dont-have-sex-with-each-other-this-year-tokyo-olympics-begs-athletes?amp=1

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Please cum inside your heart

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We talked about how part of Japan’s “effort” to discourage hookups is refusing to provide condoms, right?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
As long as they provide enough anime fuckdolls, I don't see the problem.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
What kinda bothered me was when I got my 2nd shot I had to sign something saying i had no health insurance and I kinda showed my rear end saying I should not NEED health insurance to get something to protect myself and others from DYING.

So if I get a 3rd shot; would I have to pay for it? Because I had Covid in Jan for like three months, got my 2nd shot this past week, and I would really like to keep this immune poo poo up at least before to fight off the earth blowing up.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I imagine its a pretty thankless job being an Olympic athlete. I'm sorry they're robbed of this bit of fun this year, but then again the world had gotten way more hosed. I hope they're all at least fully vaccinated.

I finally got my second dose. Canada was slow on the supply but we're now one of the most vaccinated countries in the world.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Platystemon posted:

We talked about how part of Japan’s “effort” to discourage hookups is refusing to provide condoms, right?

This year's Olympics are going to give rise to the next Baby Boom.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Ccs posted:

I finally got my second dose. Canada was slow on the supply but we're now one of the most vaccinated countries in the world.

Getting my second one next week. By the end of the month, most of my family should be fully vaccinated. Kinda wish they'd greenlight kids getting it so the rest of 'em can be protected.

Katamari Democracy posted:

What kinda bothered me was when I got my 2nd shot I had to sign something saying i had no health insurance and I kinda showed my rear end saying I should not NEED health insurance to get something to protect myself and others from DYING.

So if I get a 3rd shot; would I have to pay for it? Because I had Covid in Jan for like three months, got my 2nd shot this past week, and I would really like to keep this immune poo poo up at least before to fight off the earth blowing up.

Well at least a global health crisis is sure to kick start American socialized medicine, right?

Right?

:smith:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

They only ask so that they can bill your insurance company. If you don’t have insurance the federal government covers the cost. No matter what it’s no cost at the point of service. I wish the messaging on that had been better.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Getting my second one next week. By the end of the month, most of my family should be fully vaccinated. Kinda wish they'd greenlight kids getting it so the rest of 'em can be protected.

Well at least a global health crisis is sure to kick start American socialized medicine, right?

Right?

:smith:

It's gonna take a lot more than half a million dead

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ccs posted:

I imagine its a pretty thankless job being an Olympic athlete. I'm sorry they're robbed of this bit of fun this year, but then again the world had gotten way more hosed. I hope they're all at least fully vaccinated.

japan wasn't requiring vaccination for athletes as of a month ago :ssh:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Fur20 posted:

japan wasn't requiring vaccination for athletes as of a month ago :ssh:

Neither were competing nations requiring their athletes to be vaccinated.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

MarcusSA posted:

Back to masks

Looking forward to a population surge here in Iowa as mask mandates are illegal here. :shepicide:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Detheros posted:

Looking forward to a population surge here in Iowa as mask mandates are illegal here. :shepicide:

Iowas

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

Back to masks

I live in a delta wave area in washington. We (the state) repealed basically all mandates a couple week back because king county (seattle) was doing well, it's suggested you wear a mask if you aren't vaccinated but there's not a suggestion of enforcement either. My county is sub 40% (of adults), you walk into a store with 20 people and 1 + yourself will be wearing a mask if you're lucky, otherwise it'll just be you.

It was the dumbest loving thing to repeal mandates, my chudland wasn't great about following the rules in the first place but repealing them + social pressure immediately lead to no one doing anything remotely preventative.

I feel like this was said 500x in this thread before now but people in well vaccinated/caring cities ignored it, now a bunch more people get to die. It's amazing how quick even the political will of red vs blue turned when Biden came out in favor of plugging our ears and just marching into it. At least with Trump there was some performative opposition.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
So would I have to pay for a third dose?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Ugh they did it in ミスタースパーコル already

You motherfucker. :haw:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

So would I have to pay for a third dose?

The CDC is still holding out on booster shots for the general population even after meeting with Pfizer and going over their data (although they're currently reconsidering whether to approve them for immunocompromised people) so there's no official determination on them yet. Even if you convinced your provider to give you a third dose I don't think they'd know how to bill it, coverage for 3rd doses wouldn't be included in the current bill but it also shouldn't really be possible for them to bill you directly for any covid shots.

On the other hand I hear that the vaxx records in each state are pretty shoddy and often aren't shared between providers so if you went to a different vaxx provider from whoever gave you your previous doses and presented your ID and lied about your vaxx status there's a pretty good chance they'd juice you up for free. If it doesn't work the first time you could just keep trying over and over.
(Obviously don't present any insurance info)

Of course this might involve indirectly lying to a federal body so you're rolling the dice there. On the other other hand the daily vax rate in the states has plummeted in recent times and there's tens of thousands of shots just going to waste right now so it's not like you'd be stealing the jab out of anyone else's arm. :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 16, 2021

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Space Camp fuckup posted:

They only ask so that they can bill your insurance company. If you don’t have insurance the federal government covers the cost. No matter what it’s no cost at the point of service. I wish the messaging on that had been better.

I thought it was pretty much a given that everyone knew the vaccines were free. Nope, I've had literally 3 people I know (admittedly they are the type of idiots that never watch the news) ask me how much the vaccine costs. Smdh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are states where undocumented persons can get vaccinated, which is good public health policy in general, and as a side effect provides opportunity for Vincent Adultman to get a third shot.

There’s also whatever the overseas vaccine tourists are doing in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
In the US you can still sign up/walk in for the shot anywhere like Walgreens and just show up and get it. The only tracking done anywhere has been through insurance if you showed them your card, and that wasn't even a requirement.

If someone wanted to get 100 doses injected into them in a single day they could, so long as you had 100 walgreens, cvs, etc.