Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

cmdrk posted:

i have an amateur gamedev project for a space strategy game. i want to include some insane citizer lore in it for strange dialog encounters. what would y'all put in there? I'm thinking..

The Stimpire, obviously.
Meticulously dismembered and boxed "bounties", billed as fun and profitable for the whole family?
Space yacht captains who brag about their "investments" ?
A cafeteria scene??
Wine glasses, so many wine glasses.

Planet that's rumored to have giant Sandworms but once you get there it's all smoke and mirrors.

gently caress it, the whole planet is smoke and mirrors/holograms. Robber's Sphere of Illusions they call it, and whatever dreams you dream up, they can make it. Snow plantes, cloud planets, alien invasions, being stuck in a prison? You name it, it's there. Only thing is you have to play it all out for the world to see how you act your dream. Acting guarantees Citizneship!

Only it's revealed only really rich and boring people go there, so it's not very fun, but fully realistic - they don't have the createst creative minds so they just recycle what they've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I know I shouldn't let it piss me off but the idea that they've been working on this loving mess hall scene for the better part of a decade is infuriating.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

How many planets is the game up to now? When I was last reading I think there were maybe 4? Have the pipelines opened up?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Have the pipelines opened up?

not yet, but they really will and content will start flowing in once the last feature required for development to really kick off arrives, which is

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Play posted:

Maybe it's one of those productions like 12 Angry Men, except in this case the entire narrative takes place in a mess hall. That would be some groundbreaking stuff

Ooo- I like this. The game could be like one of those films where it all takes place in one room. The whole game takes place in the mess hall. Think of the dramatic tension- will there be enough potato?

(It would explain why fixing the flight model doesn’t seem to be a priority)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ThatEnviousKoala-mobile.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lammasu posted:

I know I shouldn't let it piss me off but the idea that they've been working on this loving mess hall scene for the better part of a decade is infuriating.

You spelled hilarious wrong

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Chris Roberts directs the mess hall scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOJ05hmRhVk

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

marumaru posted:

not yet, but they really will and content will start flowing in once the last feature required for development to really kick off arrives, which is

There is such a buildup behind those clogged pipelines, that once they open, content will flow at such a rate that hard disk production won't be able to keep up to store all that content. I have it on good authority that as more tools are developed, content production increases exponentially, so really, after all these times, there is so much content behind these pipelines that one universe won't be able to contain it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Have to share this series from the GBS version of this thread:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

castration/deskeletonization

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Stimperial nu-metal.

.random posted:

Cut bodies into pieces.
I’ve reached my home space port.
Castration, no breeding.
Don’t give a gently caress if I cut my balls bleeding.
Do you even care if I die bleeding?

Would it be wrong, would it be right?
If I deskeletonize tonight?
Chances are that I might.
Mutilation out of sight
And I’m contemplating respawning.

Cuz I’m losing my F8C Lightning - Executive Edition, losing my San'tok.yāi.
Wish somebody would tell me I’m f.yāine.
Losing my P-72 Archimedes Emerald, losing my F7C-M Super Hornet Heartseeker.
Wish somebody would tell me I’m fine.

*guitar solo* dun nu nu nu nu nu dun nu nu nu nu

commando in tophat posted:

There is such a buildup behind those clogged pipelines, that once they open, content will flow at such a rate that hard disk production won't be able to keep up to store all that content. I have it on good authority that as more tools are developed, content production increases exponentially, so really, after all these times, there is so much content behind these pipelines that one universe won't be able to contain it

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Hmm, wonder what this could be . . .

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1415730527257169934?s=21

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Good to see Uncle D still reads the read.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

surely CIG's revolutionary and patented "64 bit" technology will be able to withstand the torrential onslaught of Content that will be unlocked?
64 is twice as much as 32.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

cmdrk posted:

i have an amateur gamedev project for a space strategy game. i want to include some insane citizer lore in it for strange dialog encounters. what would y'all put in there? I'm thinking..

The Stimpire, obviously.
Meticulously dismembered and boxed "bounties", billed as fun and profitable for the whole family?
Space yacht captains who brag about their "investments" ?
A cafeteria scene??
Wine glasses, so many wine glasses.

Include:

Blowhard industries
A space whaling company run by a Charlie Roberto
The man who got rich by developing blowing really hard.
You should later discover there are no space whales and he's actually selling space snake oil.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Are we gonna get another July Blog?!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Are we gonna get another July Blog?!

Two weeks

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Right on time, 6 years later.

Uncle Derek still answering the call.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

JulyBlog2.0 drops in 2 weeks!

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

My take on the big move

Chris lives in LA and by his proximity progress from the Austin studio has been glacial.

Calders are pissed and have moved from demanding progress to changes.

Manchester have been left unmolested by Chris during the pandemic and have started making steady progress.

A desperate Chris is now doing a trans Atlantic body dive to be near the progress.

He has throw Austin under the bus but gives no shits so long as he can be associated with working parts of CIG for when Calder's come storming through if they have not already.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I for one wish I could afford a brand new mansion, and also the ability to just move across the ocean at a whim to live anywhere (probably in a rental house at enormous expense) to make a video game happen after 10 years

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

This raises the question of what exactly he needs to take the day off from? What does Derek Smart do all day?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lammasu posted:

This raises the question of what exactly he needs to take the day off from? What does Derek Smart do all day?

There's a lot of vending machines in the world.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lammasu posted:

He co-founded a company that makes a F2P MMO, Analgon, which is doing just grea-

After nearly a decade, MMO Analgon shuts down servers

oh

uh

heeeee's hard at work on the next hit MMOFPS... Line of Defense? How's that doing? Let's see their latest update...

https://twitter.com/lodonline/status/1312066415982252035

huh

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
In which a new player (red) learns their starter ship can't run basic cargo delivery missions. But don't worry, there is a solution!

Or not...

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Fargin Icehole posted:

I know :iiasb: got booted from Freelancer earlier, but you can see how from the beginning, the design choices when you visit planets and stations are there are window-dressing that they paid too much attention to.

The thing with Store Citizer is that they paid both too much attention to the set dressing, and not enough. Most of the big common spaces look like the Beverly Center ca. 2007, or any other expensive mall of that era. Except for the “edgy”planet that looks like the interiors from Tank Girl crossed with the exteriors from original recipe Blade Runner.

And the loving mess hall just looks like all the mess halls from Star Trek.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why does his little screenshot of text include the logged out SA word filter for gently caress?

Is he quoting a random old post ITT as “insider news” that’s about to bring the project down?

What is wrong with uncle Derek?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Derek finally read an OP

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Lammasu posted:

It is breathtaking. This project really can still inspire awe after all this time of laughing at it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Orions Lord posted:

DSC_4374 by roland luijken, on Flickr

This is Billie. Say hello to Billie.

Hello Billie!

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Lammasu posted:

Script for the mess hall scene:

Dick Starwalker enters the mess, and get a high five from a bald guy... they miss each other's hand by at least 2 feet. but thats ok, the sound effect played so that means It Totally Happened. Dick grabs a tray and head to the buffet. the eggs look real good... Dick uses his bionic vision to zoom into an egg and sees the actual atoms that make it up, each lovingly modelled in CryEngine 3. Dick loves his eggs.

End scene.

total cost: 128 million dollars.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Orions Lord posted:

DSC_4374 by roland luijken, on Flickr

This is Billie. Say hello to Billie.

Hello Billie!
May your meows be satisfying to you and those who hear you.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Honked posted:

Cube but set in a mess hall

One guy dies screaming after getting procedural eggs on his face

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Alpha 3.14 Patch Watch | Thrusters Tuning, Ships, and a Power Triangle Update

quote:

Please keep in mind that this is just the first step in wider combat balancing. The aim is to achieve a workable, archetypal class balance for our fighters that will serve as a solid foundation for further development in subsequent patches. After Alpha 3.14, each ship can be balanced according to its in-game and in-fiction role without disturbing the overall combat experience of the game.

Outcome:
We tuned each ship toward its intended role. This means tuning ships to fit within an expected performance envelope for the use cases they were designed for while having clear pros and cons. For simplicity, during this ongoing balancing process, we used basic fighter archetype classes...

10 years and over hundred sold ship jpgs and they're again starting to look into having different flight models for different ship roles for their spaceship combat game?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Feeling a bit bored today and thinking about tweeting “Sandi Gardiner-Calder” at Derek and see what happens…

E: just remembered I don’t know how Twitter works, so nah…

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021

I'm the helmet with a vertical "strut" in it's visor. Are obnoxious struts a thing among bad practice dev?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Got to say, LOD looks ugly:

While I personally don't really care for graphics (I still regularly play Simcity 3000 and to lesser extent SC2K), but lofi graphics do need have a bit of charm to them. You can't have an "AAA presentation" with low graphics, you got to own the old school graphics vibe.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Groshlak posted:

I'm the helmet with a vertical "strut" in it's visor. Are obnoxious struts a thing among bad practice dev?

I mean, the art direction there is really awful, but if the strut is close enough to your eyes, you don’t actually see it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Groshlak posted:

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021

tuo posted:

I mean, the art direction there is really awful, but if the strut is close enough to your eyes, you don’t actually see it.

True. I'm just gonna assume I'm right. The visor can't be that close to the face. And if somebody comes up with contradicting evidence, I'm gonna stick to my guns and die on that hill. In true spirit of the Warlord and his abomination of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021

yeah, but the vision ain't impaired . It's designed to protect the nose bridge!

*I need air support on that hill, pronto! Alpha bravo foxtrot*