Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Best interpretation of OoT made

https://twitter.com/phalafelcosplay/status/1415734408565465088?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You know what I really enjoyed skyward sword kinks and all. I enjoyed how the game appeared to be open but every sub area was just a dungeon by itself, I enjoyed the aspect of upgrading gear with items, I enjoyed how every item was basically a little mini game that lent some more depth to the puzzles. I’m looking forward to playing it again tomorrow in HD and 60 FPS

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I hate the idea of there being a console Zelda I haven’t personally beaten, but I hate the idea of playing Skyward Sword even more

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It’ll be my first time :shobon:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I have this weird thing with Skyward Sword.

On a technical level, I can admit that Ocarina of Time is basically flawless (in it's best form, the 3DS version that removes some niggles and upgrades the graphics.)

Skyward Sword is much more flawed. The revisiting is annoying. The linearity can be a bit much. Fi is annoying.

And yet, I prefer Skyward Sword over Ocarina of Time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

We'll see how SS fares nowadays, but Ocarina is functionally at the bottom of my 3D rankings just because it's aged so much (even compared to Majora, which is still a favorite) and on account of having played it too much to feel like going back.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I love OoT for being my first Zelda. I still find some of the dungeons to be extremely evocative in their visual, sound and gameplay design in a very special way (Forest, Shadow and Spirit). Actually playing it the last two times on 3DS is getting a little bit tired though from how many times I've gone through it. I have a lot of affection for how weird and dreamlike N64 games could be because they could just barely start to render 3d worlds but so heavily abstracted.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

I love OoT for being my first Zelda. I still find some of the dungeons to be extremely evocative in their visual, sound and gameplay design in a very special way (Forest, Shadow and Spirit). Actually playing it the last two times on 3DS is getting a little bit tired though from how many times I've gone through it. I have a lot of affection for how weird and dreamlike N64 games could be because they could just barely start to render 3d worlds but so heavily abstracted.

this is still true even though my first zelda was the OG

first 3D zelda is like its own category

(ww is still the best)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I’m the weird guy who likes Twilight Princess as the best 3D (non-BOTW) Zelda. But I understand the criticisms people have with it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is TP playable via emulation?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Is TP playable via emulation?

Yep, either the original version with Dolphin or the HD version with Cemu.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Kassad posted:

Yep, either the original version with Dolphin or the HD version with Cemu.

I had that game on Wii and, like most everything on Wii, the controls annoyed me to no end. So, I spent roughly £44 to get the GC version... about a week before they announced the Wii U remake. Felt a bit silly.

That said, still have my Wii U, still play my Wii U, still enjoy my Wii U and think that the Wii was a gimmicky piece of fluff. I understand why the Wii U didn't do well, but the Wii was really just a flash-in-the-pan contrivance. Speaking of emulation, I play games that I physically own for Wii on Dolphin just to avoid Wii bullshit. I especially do it with games with traditional controls but no classic support. like Punch-Out! and 2D Mario games. This includes Newer Super Mario which is a fan project that nearly enough people talk about.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Twilight Princess plays great on Dolphin, I still hate it though.

I fired up my old wii last year to play some windwaker and skyward sword, but the graphics card is shot, so I’m super psyched for tomorrow.

Please 35th anniversary collection with Windwaker and Majoras Mask, though.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

So, it looks like my chances for the Loftwing amiibo is dead. It seems most places won't have it for launch.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

glassyalabolas posted:

So, it looks like my chances for the Loftwing amiibo is dead. It seems most places won't have it for launch.

I’m walking into target tomorrow morning at opening and hoping for the best

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

LionArcher posted:

I’m walking into target tomorrow morning at opening and hoping for the best

Usually this works, but good luck. Try Best Buy too if it’s near you.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Usually this works, but good luck. Try Best Buy too if it’s near you.

Right down the street from the target so I’ll give it a try if Target Walmart fails. I’m stubborn and have a ton of cans (seltzer) stocked up when all the state sorting places closed because of COVID. Going to get them turned in while I wait for Best Buy to open if I strike out with target.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
https://i.imgur.com/S2AqnwR.gifv

I feel like I’ve been playing too much BOTW lately.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/S2AqnwR.gifv

I feel like I’ve been playing too much BOTW lately.

Is that a recreation of the donkey kong game and watch level?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skyward Sword is my second least favorite of the 3D Zelda titles but that's not a huge criticism considering that above it are WW, TOOT, MM and BotW and below it is the absolutely boring unmemorable waste of time that is Twilight Princess, a game saved only by it adopting some of the creep factor of Majora's Mask and Midna having an actual personality. SS for all its flaws has a more memorable setting and characters and has a Zelda who has a personality, which is another thing TP hosed up despite WW having a pretty awesome Zelda and in fact every Zelda since has been varying degrees of awesome. Most Zelda games are somewhere in the A rankings, SS is a B and TP is a low C to a high D.

There are worse Zeldas (I'd throw Spirit Tracks as the absolute worst that isn't a meme choice) but of the Zelda's relased on a console TP is the absolute hardest for me to think of a single good thing about that I can't follow with "except (x) did it way better."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

There are worse Zeldas (I'd throw Spirit Tracks as the absolute worst that isn't a meme choice) but of the Zelda's relased on a console TP is the absolute hardest for me to think of a single good thing about that I can't follow with "except (x) did it way better."

Best soundtrack :colbert:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I can't fault Twilight Princess because wild west town shoot-up, The Spinner, and the icy mansion being a really good dungeon with a fun twist at the end and a sweet love story

Like it's not my favorite game but I also don't like, actively hate it

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

in twilight princess, you get to sumo wrestle gorons. and i really liked the magnetic iron boots. honestly fire zone was just all around great, and Hyrule felt like an actual populated city lol. and it had those hosed up bird people! legit iconic game.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I had to travel over two hours to get a GC copy of TP when it came out.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Junpei posted:

I can't fault Twilight Princess because wild west town shoot-up, The Spinner, and the icy mansion being a really good dungeon with a fun twist at the end and a sweet love story

Like it's not my favorite game but I also don't like, actively hate it

Muscle Tracer posted:

in twilight princess, you get to sumo wrestle gorons. and i really liked the magnetic iron boots. honestly fire zone was just all around great, and Hyrule felt like an actual populated city lol. and it had those hosed up bird people! legit iconic game.

All this, plus the simple fact that Midna is unquestionably far and away the best Partner character in the series really say it all. Like, I'm not gonna say it's perfect (the opening's a bit of a slog on replay, even moreso than MM's first cycle, a lot of the human character designs are just off, and it's easily got one of the most boring Zeldas in the series), but I don't feel like those issues detract from all the other stuff the game does fantastically.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I don’t really like traditional Zelda games that much, so my opinion should probably be disregarded BUT of the ones I’ve played (OOT, WW, TP and BOTW) the dungeons in twilight princess are miles ahead of any of the other games. If I’m remembering the order correctly the last four in TP are arbiters grounds, the yeti manor, sky city, and the twilight realm castle? All absolutely incredible IMO

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The best partner is Ricky actually

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like a lot of the TP dungeons and I think one of the game's strengths is that a lot of them just feel huge and epic in a way that none of the other games have really captured.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Of the 3D ones, BOTW is by far the one I like the least because it abandoned all of the things I really liked about the other 3D Zelda games (music, unique themed dungeons, puzzles that build up on each other). When I finally went to raid Hyrule Castle for the shield and then to fight Ganon were my favorite parts because it felt the most structured like the old ones. I know the openness and freedom worked for a lot of people but I was lukewarm on it. I'd like to see the future ones either synthesize the best parts of BOTW and the older ones or to have BOTW mark another "type" of Zelda game, alongside the 2D ones and OoT pattern 3D.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
TP had double clawshots, the spinner and the ball and chain. Come the gently caress on. It rules.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
All Zeldas are good and I loved playing all of them to varying degrees. Except Spirit Tracks. gently caress that game forever.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Spirit Tracks, pretty fun game

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Shiroc posted:

Of the 3D ones, BOTW is by far the one I like the least because it abandoned all of the things I really liked about the other 3D Zelda games (music, unique themed dungeons, puzzles that build up on each other).

If you'd asked me before BOTW if I thought I'd like a Zelda without those things, I'd have looked at you sideways and been like, bro, do you even Zelda? But now... I think having them would make the next one even better, but it was so revolutionary for the franchise, and the good far outweighed the bad.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
BOTW has music though. I swear it does.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

BOTW has music though. I swear it does.

It does. Some people were talking about the amazing castle music just yesterday.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Brickseek is showing 0 at the Targets around me.

https://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker/

DCPI is 206-04-1389

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Buying amiibos seems weird when you can just get the cards from amazon for almost nothing. Must be a collector’s thing.

Pay no attention to the unreasonable amount of money and space I’ve dedicated to books or bikes and bike parts/tools.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Is there a hero mode or anything of the sort. I could be convinced to give it a revisit if so.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Loucks posted:

Buying amiibos seems weird when you can just get the cards from amazon for almost nothing. Must be a collector’s thing.

Pay no attention to the unreasonable amount of money and space I’ve dedicated to books or bikes and bike parts/tools.

no one is buying them to get the in-game perks

people buy them because they like the characters and enjoy tchotchkes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

Is there a hero mode or anything of the sort. I could be convinced to give it a revisit if so.

skyward sword had hero mode on launch, just a damage multiplier+no heart drops though iirc