Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Went a bit nuts, got In The Heat of the Night, Jabberwocky, Komradeshaft, Mikey and Nicky, Night Train to Munich, and Quadrophenia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

this copy of Mirror is very pretty

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Very excited to get Mirror but it ain’t out until the 26th over here

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Consuming Spirits amazing but super depressing. It reminded me of Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt by Chris Hedges and Joe Sacco, which was also amazing but super depressing.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo, I'm gonna cum.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao @ the theories that spine 1100 would be their first 4K disc and instead it’s….The Incredible Shrinking Man

(also Ratcatcher/Onibaba blu upgrades, High Sierra, and Devi)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Escobarbarian posted:

lmao @ the theories that spine 1100 would be their first 4K disc and instead it’s….The Incredible Shrinking Man

(also Ratcatcher/Onibaba blu upgrades, High Sierra, and Devi)

Awesome, I’m always down for more schlocky 50s sci-fi and tbh I wish Criterion had way more of it.

Definitely getting that Uncut Gems too, glad I held off picking up the regular blu.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll double dip for Uncut Gems

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ll def get Uncut Gems and Ratcatcher if they get UK releases. Would be surprised if they didn’t, all the Netflix Criterions have had UK releases so far and Ratcatcher is y’know classic British gritty cinema and we eat that poo poo up

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

drat that's a crazy good month. Especially excited for Onibaba, which I saw for the first time recently and was immediately disappointed to learn Criterion hadn't released it on BD yet. Now I'm happy!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Watch Criterion license THX 1138 entirely so it can be #1138, but they couldn't be bothered to make #1100 Citizen Kane or at least something significant. Then again, 600 was Anatomy of a Murder, 700 was Fantastic Mr. Fox, 800 was The Graduate.

Other than being disappointed that Uncut Gems is on its second US release without a UHD, even if it absolutely should have been a Criterion release to begin with, pretty amazing month. High Sierra, The Incredible Shrinking Man, and Onibaba are definites. Maybe also Devi since I've wanted to see more Ray (loved the Apu Trilogy, liked The Music Room).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Watch Criterion license THX 1138 entirely so it can be #1138, but they couldn't be bothered to make #1100 Citizen Kane or at least something significant. Then again, 600 was Anatomy of a Murder, 700 was Fantastic Mr. Fox, 800 was The Graduate.

Other than being disappointed that Uncut Gems is on its second US release without a UHD, even if it absolutely should have been a Criterion release to begin with, pretty amazing month. High Sierra, The Incredible Shrinking Man, and Onibaba are definites. Maybe also Devi since I've wanted to see more Ray (loved the Apu Trilogy, liked The Music Room).

They've never done anything traditionally special with "big" numbers. 100 was a Beastie boys music video collection, for example.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I really enjoyed The Incredible Shrinking Man when I watched it last Halloween-ish. There’s a real melancholy mood to the whole thing, the pace is nice and the science hits a perfect pulpy note for me.

What’s great about Onibaba? What makes it stand out?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I'm going through some of the neo-noir collection on the criterion channel, and I just finished Chinatown. drat, that ending. I literally just kept expecting more and was shocked when the credits rolled up. Great film.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What’s great about Onibaba? What makes it stand out?

Primarily the absolutely gorgeous black-and-white cinematography (nowhere else do reeds look so beautiful). Beyond that, it's a well-told ghost story with psychologically complex characters. If you like horror and/or Japanese post-war cinema, it's a must-have imo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Incredible Shrinking Man is a genuinely great film, Jack Arnold’s best. Not even schlocky, it’s about the anxiety of being swallowed up by a rapidly changing world.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The downside is that they killed a shitload of spiders while filming the spider stuff

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

checkplease posted:

I'm going through some of the neo-noir collection on the criterion channel, and I just finished Chinatown. drat, that ending. I literally just kept expecting more and was shocked when the credits rolled up. Great film.

I feel like that even though everyone knows the final line of the film, it really does not set you up for the ending at all.

Blow Out is one of my favourite films ever, and it also has a great ending.

Night Moves, which I watched last week, is another really great ending for these neo-noirs.

Now that I think of it, maybe the key to a great neo-noir is to have a great ending.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wolf is worth catching while it’s still on the channel. It’s not great but it’s crazy enough to kinda work. It veers between being kind of serious and classy and like trying to render a werewolf story in a new modern way, and then it just goes silly in the last 20 minutes (albeit in a way that’s still pretty entertaining.) The cast is great, James Spader especially. Nichols kinda has trouble with some of the FX stuff but the film looks really nice and there’s a good Morricone score. I feel it’d be better if they’d leaned more into the goofiness but as it is, not a bad time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What are some good movies to buy during the sale?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gripweed posted:

I hear that Lady Snowblood is a pretty good movie

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

and if anyone disagrees...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Roth posted:

I hear that Lady Snowblood is a pretty good movie

I've seen them both already

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Why not post a few titles that sound potentially interesting to you and ask the thread for opinions on them? You'd probably get a lot more people chiming in that way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Samuel Clemens posted:

Why not post a few titles that sound potentially interesting to you and ask the thread for opinions on them? You'd probably get a lot more people chiming in that way.

A lot of them sound interesting. That's the whole thing about the Criterion Collection, they're supposed to all be certified bangers.

I wanna do a couple more blind buys before the sale ends, so I thought I'd let the taste of other posters guide my hand.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gripweed posted:

marketa lazarova b/c I think that’s a film that needs a pause/rewind function

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gripweed posted:

A lot of them sound interesting. That's the whole thing about the Criterion Collection, they're supposed to all be certified bangers.

I wanna do a couple more blind buys before the sale ends, so I thought I'd let the taste of other posters guide my hand.

Not all of them might be to your taste, so if you have a list of movies you've liked from the Collection that would be good for providing a list of movies we think you might enjoy, and some stuff that we can say "This might be a bit off your beaten path"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Roth posted:

Not all of them might be to your taste, so if you have a list of movies you've liked from the Collection that would be good for providing a list of movies we think you might enjoy, and some stuff that we can say "This might be a bit off your beaten path"

I like the Wes Anderson movies, and the Godzilla movies, and the Guillermo delta Toro movies. Individual ones I can remember really liking are
Paths of Glory
The Third Man
Seventh Seal
12 Angry Men
In The Heat of the Night
Kwaidan
Anatomy of a murder
High and Low
That eclipse boxset with A Colt is my Passport
The Shooting

And I didnt like any of the Goddard movies I saw.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gripweed posted:

I like the Wes Anderson movies, and the Godzilla movies, and the Guillermo delta Toro movies. Individual ones I can remember really liking are
Paths of Glory
The Third Man
Seventh Seal
12 Angry Men
In The Heat of the Night
Kwaidan
Anatomy of a murder
High and Low
The Shooting

Check out Barry Lyndon and Three Outlaw Samurai

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Thief is always a guaranteed good time!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Roth posted:

Check out Barry Lyndon and Three Outlaw Samurai

Oh poo poo, I forgot about Three Outlaw Samurai. I've already seen it. It kicks rear end though.

Isn't Barry Lyndon the musical abou the coal mining child who wants to dance?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That’s Billy Elliot.

Barry Lyndon’s about an rear end in a top hat failing upwards and Stanley Kubrick being completely obsessed with William Hogarth and wanting to shoot by candlelight in equal measures

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

Paths of Glory
The Third Man
Seventh Seal
12 Angry Men
In The Heat of the Night
Kwaidan
Anatomy of a murder
High and Low
The Shooting

Check out Tokyo Story, Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The 400 Blows and Ali : Fear Eats the Soul.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

poo poo, that list is not actually representative of my movie tastes at all. It's just Criterion Collection movies I could think of off the top of my head. And the whole point was to get random recommendations based on other people's taste to find stuff I might not otherwise consider.

Nevermind, this didn't go as I thought it would.

It is nice to know Barry Lyndon wasn't the movie I thought it was. I did wonder why the guy on the cover had a gun.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

poo poo, that list is not actually representative of my movie tastes at all. It's just Criterion Collection movies I could think of off the top of my head. And the whole point was to get random recommendations based on other people's taste to find stuff I might not otherwise consider.

Nevermind, this didn't go as I thought it would.

It is nice to know Barry Lyndon wasn't the movie I thought it was. I did wonder why the guy on the cover had a gun.

What are just some movies you like, then?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Short Cuts and The Player were solid blind buys for me, it’s hard to go wrong with Robert Altman. Same with Until the End of the World. It’s almost 5 hours long but I was fascinated the entire time. It’s got some sci-fi, some end of the world, and a lot of globe trotting. World on a Wire is a solid German sci-fi involving simulations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vince MechMahon posted:

What are just some movies you like, then?

OK, if I had to name thirty I'd probably go with

1: Shin Godzilla
2: A Serious Man
3: Promare
4: Primer
5: Royal Tenenbaums
6: 12 Angry Men
7: Predator 2
8: Walk Hard
9: Pacific Rim
10: Occult
11: Lake Mungo
12: One Cut of the Dead
13: Rushmore
14: A Record of Sweet Murder
15: Welcome Back, Mr. McDonald
16: Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
17: The Grand Budapest Hotel
18: Star Trek (with whales)
19: Predator
20: Heat
21: The Thing
22: Slacker
23: First Love
24: Sister Act
25: Patlabor (Yes, I like the first Patlabor movie more than the second Patlabor movie. They're both great, I just like the first one more)
26: Alternative 3
27: Die Hard 3
28: Versus
29: Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County
30: Penguin Highway

That order is not very firmly set so don't read much into one movie being above another

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 18, 2021

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I don't know man...

Hausu
Stalker
Salesman
Anything Kurosawa
Repo Man
Branded to Kill
The Brood
True Stories

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Get Thief if you like Heat a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I don't know man...

Hausu
Stalker
Salesman
Anything Kurosawa
Repo Man
Branded to Kill
The Brood
True Stories

I almost put House and the Lure in my list of Criterions I liked, but held odd because while I did like them I feel like I didn't like them as much as other people like them
It's good but I like the book a lot more
I've seen some Kurosawa. He's pretty good
Love Repo Man. If I did a list of forty movies I liked, Repo Man would be on it
I've seen some Suzuki movies and liked them, I should get back into his stuff. Thanks.
Never heard of it, if they have it I'll buy it
It seems like it would be up my alley and I've liked the clips I've seen, I just hate that coverart so much :(

Boywhiz88 posted:

Get Thief if you like Heat a lot.

Alright