Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's a bigger rear end-pull than the sleep-Viking thing imo

Never bring that up again not even as a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the mountains? that's where i'm a gomer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Flying Hellfish works since I'm pretty sure it's a riff on murder mystery plots that always involve a tontine with old war buddies.

Complete with the twist that it doesn't actually work nowadays since people actually keep track of war loot from European countries.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I never got a chance to know one of my grandfathers and I've been estranged from the other for years, so that probably colours my opinion a bit, but I appreciate Flying Hellfish for giving Abe a chance to kick rear end one last time, and more importantly, actually bond with his grandson.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
In Homer Goes To College when he leans out of his car to yell nerd it's actually a really subtle joke making fun of Homer's love of the hard candy sweet, which he was eating at the time. It's a really subtle joke when you spot it

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

rear end-pulling is where CommonShore is a Viking

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Rarity posted:

In Homer Goes To College when he leans out of his car to yell nerd it's actually a really subtle joke making fun of Homer's love of the hard candy sweet, which he was eating at the time. It's a really subtle joke when you spot it

This lacks good combinatory value

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Principal and the Pauper isn't that bad at all, nothing in season 9 was that bad, even 10 was okay in parts. It's just that compared to season 7 it was awful, but compared to now it's Emmy-wining TV writing. It's just that there have been a lot of overdramatic YouTubes in the same vein as "WHY STEVEN SPIELBERG'S 'HOOK' WAS THE FILM OF OUR TIME... AND DEEPER THAN YOU THINK!!"-esque videos that have talked it up into this massive thing that it really isn't.

Can someone necro the lowest simpsons thread because we're lacking in memes

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 16, 2021

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Man, I don't remember whether the hellfish episode had any good gags. I'm sure it did, but I remember it feeling like a stretch at the time. Grandpa's seal team six nazi gold hollywood thriller is pretty out there compared to, say, family installs swimming pool. Or compared to veteran adopts false identity after war. Which fuckin' happened irl. Skinner feels ashamed at being a dirty aimless loser, so he leans in so hard to being a stuffy fussbudget. He has a mother now, but knows he's not her real son so he tries hard to be a "good" son. (This has happened a lot IRL too btw, where Mom goes along with an imposter after kid goes missing.) This isn't a wacky contrivance, or betrayal of a character! This is backstory. The only betrayal was the end, where they decide to throw it all away.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I liked the bit when they're trying to kill Abe in the care home.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hey, fun boys! Get a room!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Bart's room
Bart's room
Bart's room
Dumpster

Still gets a laugh out of me to this day.

Edit: also "Dickety? Highly dubious."

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Can I see your copy of Swank Armand is permanently in my vernacular

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Wait, I have something for this

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Aww, I was sad he wasn't holding one instead of the copy of Swank.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

Can I see your copy of Swank Armand is permanently in my vernacular

A line that's 10x more addictive than marijuana.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Facebook

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

War Wizard posted:

I liked the bit when they're trying to kill Abe in the care home.

It's such Hitman playthrough energy.

Also the 'Can't you go five seconds without embarrassing yourself' bit is extremely memeable, I'd say.

p_e_z_z
Feb 27, 2020

Does anyone happen to have the one where there's the IMDB review from Apu of Billy and the Cloneosaurus?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rewatching season 8, there are alot more "things are slipping" moments than I remembered. The Canine Mutiny is a real dud of an episode.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's such Hitman playthrough energy.

Also the 'Can't you go five seconds without embarrassing yourself' bit is extremely memeable, I'd say.

"How long was that?"

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Season 8 was definitely the point where wacky, high-stakes plots became prevalent over the more grounded episodes. It's still great, but it did set the tone for what would eventually become Bad Simpsons.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
"wrinkley gibberish?"

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
"i got this in the second world war two"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My favourite gag from Hellfish is the play on Ox not being a big, dumb oaf.

But my favourite line is definitely "hey fun boys, get a room!"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mescal posted:

Man, I don't remember whether the hellfish episode had any good gags. I'm sure it did, but I remember it feeling like a stretch at the time.

This was pretty good IMO:

https://comb.io/L07LlH

Mr. Burns crashing through Lisa's bedroom wall with the crane, then...

Burns: "Oh, terribly sorry! Go back to sleep, little girl!"
Lisa: "Santa...?"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Baron von Eevl posted:

It literally means "of the mountains" not "of Montgomery"

Gee I wonder what the name Montgomery means

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Look, I'm willing to accept that nobody else thinks it's a good gag. I am not willing to accept that it's an rear end pull when it's in the literal words spoken by the characters on the screen and their names.

p_e_z_z
Feb 27, 2020

CommonShore posted:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It was an ok bit but you're trying way too hard now

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

CommonShore posted:

It definitely is a bit more than simply a synonym for mount

(Montgomery means ‘Mount of the Great Man,’ presumably meaning the hill that a leader lives upon)

E:

Ghostlight posted:

the mountains? that's where i'm a gomer.

:sickos:

GlobglogGroAbgalab fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 16, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

CommonShore posted:

Mr. Monty Burns

The assassin sees the picture and assumes that Mr Burns is having Abe assassinated because Abe is eating the corn which has Mr. Burns's name on it and thus presumably was stolen from Mr Burns, even though in actuality it's just the name of the brand, and that this is a normal type of arrangement in his assassin relationship with Mr. Burns.

idk maybe "extremely" is overstating it, but it's still a good subtle, drive-by gag with the tempo of the earlier seasons.

:kstare:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
To friends he's known as Del Monte but to you he's Mr. BUUUUUUUUURNS :toot:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ddoniolvalcroze/status/1413135883872604160?s=20

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

To friends he's known as Del Monte but to you he's Mr. BUUUUUUUUURNS :toot:

I was saying dellllllllmonte

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

https://twitter.com/mdaware/status/1413209079271632898?s=21

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Do you make that clown shower you by twisting on his dick?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Clowns don't have dicks, silly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Taking a huge risk with that post that nobody turns it around into a huge own on me. (Typical for my posts, really)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

AHH F/UGH posted:

Principal and the Pauper isn't that bad at all, nothing in season 9 was that bad, even 10 was okay in parts. It's just that compared to season 7 it was awful, but compared to now it's Emmy-wining TV writing. It's just that there have been a lot of overdramatic YouTubes in the same vein as "WHY STEVEN SPIELBERG'S 'HOOK' WAS THE FILM OF OUR TIME... AND DEEPER THAN YOU THINK!!"-esque videos that have talked it up into this massive thing that it really isn't.

Can someone necro the lowest simpsons thread because we're lacking in memes

The angel one is pretty loving bad. Sorry David X Cohen!