Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1415971934714671116?s=19

And that's without the greens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Jakabite posted:

I never thought I’d convince 12 votes to vote for me? So if the next GE is in 2024, approx a 3.5 years away, his absolute height of ambition would be 15330 voters convinced to vote Labour rather than anyone else? What the gently caress is he on man honestly

On present trends that will be about 10% votes more than otherwise, leading tLabour to victory in their battle for 5th largest Westminster party with Plaid Cymru.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Doesn't that mean the Tories took most of the green vote?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Brendan Rodgers posted:

i'd assume Green voters just didn't turn up at all

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or they went to labour and labour just lost even more of their previous voters to the tories.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's a local election on a non-GE year, turnout will have been very low & disproportionately old. Without checking, that's probably not actually any more votes than the tories got last time (& is probably pretty much the same people), it's just that the entire turnout was all the olds + a handful of weirdo politics nerds.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If anyone has been following the saga I’ve had with social services just disappearing, my job basically turning into a full time voluntary PA role since March because they knew we all wouldn’t quit and leave disabled kiddies and vulnerable elderly to die.

I go back to one on one care work on Wednesday and :magical: the new social services worker I’m dealing with actually reserved spaces before promising things she couldn’t deliver like the last ones.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I assume ukip was standing there for that 20%

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1415998381198090241?s=19

We found some of the fattest, oldest and dumbest people ready to regurgitate Daily Mail shite with no filter in front of a dying man. And that's just out presenters!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hey now. Their fatness doesn't reflect their political opinions.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/16/englands-covid-unlocking-a-threat-to-the-world-experts-say

It's not that I want to wallow in misery, but what I'm mostly struggling with these days is the feeling that I'm completely isolated in my attitude to covid, and I need articles like these to remind me that I haven't gone insane when my local friends, who have met up twice and had covid scares both times, are planning to meet up again then go clubbing, and seem surprised when I tell them I'm not going since I'm not even double vaxxed yet.

And speaking of clubs, they've been abandoned by the government and are hoping to wing it in order to stay alive:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jul/16/nightclubs-confusion-uk-covid-rules-freedom-day

Sounds like they're ready to reopen! :yotj:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Smh Keith should've called them bigots on his way out.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The left needs to start doing what the right does and start AstroTurfing these focus groups with fat old gammons banging on about redistribution

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
aw yiss, motha fuckin fudge delivery. The bakewell tart is amazing, Camrath!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Deketh posted:

aw yiss, motha fuckin fudge delivery. The bakewell tart is amazing, Camrath!

Thank you, thank you! I was really pleased with this batch :)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dabir posted:

Hey now. Their fatness doesn't reflect their political opinions.
I feel like this is fair game though, given that she's literally talking about people 'getting off their backsides.'

I feel like the fact that Kuenssberg was there would have been ringing bells the size of big loving ben in the head of any competent political oper- ah, I see where I made the mistake there.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I feel like this is fair game though, given that she's literally talking about people 'getting off their backsides.'

Gonzo was welcome to make that point, but he didn't.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

domhal posted:

quote:

"I never thought that in one evening, I'd persuade 12 people to change their vote."

Doesn't say which way they changed it though!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dabir posted:

Gonzo was welcome to make that point, but he didn't.

And he never will.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

And he never will.

Why's that?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Not under 25 by a long shot but I don't want to work, I'd much rather just sort of hang out & do fun stuff all the time. But, needs must, unfortunately

wtf is wrong with these people that they want to waste away a third of their lives making someone else richer

(realtalk, I know they don't actually want that, it's just like... think about what you're saying. Everyone would rather be with their family & friends, and the reason we go to work is because being really poor is poo poo. They don't even give you a plasma tv & a yacht when you go to sign on any more, smdh)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Our rabbi rules

http://jonathanwittenberg.org/commu...ridISY.facebook

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dabir posted:

Why's that?

Because Gonzo is a bad bastard.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You assume that gammons who aren't retired actually do any real work at their jobs

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Not under 25 by a long shot but I don't want to work, I'd much rather just sort of hang out & do fun stuff all the time. But, needs must, unfortunately

wtf is wrong with these people that they want to waste away a third of their lives making someone else richer

(realtalk, I know they don't actually want that, it's just like... think about what you're saying. Everyone would rather be with their family & friends, and the reason we go to work is because being really poor is poo poo. They don't even give you a plasma tv & a yacht when you go to sign on any more, smdh)

This is Britain, we like being squalid little peasants provided there is at least one razor thin line of people we feel superior to.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Because Gonzo is a bad bastard.

Is Gonzo the kind of bad bastard who thinks fat people are basically just worse than other people?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm fat and I'm pretty terrible

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dabir posted:

Is Gonzo the kind of bad bastard who thinks fat people are basically just worse than other people?

I've been overweight all my life.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m getting fat just to trigger the libs

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1416017350491574274?s=20

Brand shiny new pod for you to start the weekend - what better way than tales of police corruption?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Here's a good example of the state of modern UK journalism. Yesterday, I found out that in February some guy who apparently was at my secondary school at the same time as me is now a BBC journalist and made a five part Radio 4 documentary about how incredibly rough our school was. It's ludicrously over the top, despite the fact that no one he talks to has a bad word to say about the school, he constantly asks if it actually really was good, while ominous urban music plays over the whole thing. In the second episode he implies the school somehow bore some responsibility for a former student being honour-killed by her own father.

But the real kicker is that in the final episode he interviews Tony Blair. To be charitable, I guess it's part of a bookending where in the first episode he mentions that he started at Acton High in the same year Blair became Prime Minister. But it just comes off as a weird flex to boast about the connections he has now. Now, old Tone knows gently caress-all about Acton High and its circumstances (he lies and pretends to remember the school, but that's it). But obviously this guy was head of the government for the whole time this journo was there, and bears some responsibility for the various societal issues that surrounded the school. In the fourth he talks about a Muslim student who later radicalised and joined an Isis-esque group in Somalia, where he was later executed. Tony Blair is probably the single person most responsible for that radicalisation, certainly more than anyone at the school. In fact, Blair's government even started the academies programme that finally ended the school a few years ago!

So maybe Tony Blair would be a good person to interview, there could be a lot to ask him about this! Of course, nothing like this is asked, just "is education important?" and "is multiculturalism good?" Imagine going to all the trouble of making this documentary just to casually yuk yuk with a war criminal. A loving disgrace.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Given Blair's ego, he - or his staff - almost certainly vets any questions he'll be asked and refuses the interview if there's something he doesn't like and the journalist won't back down.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

So that is what a good man sounds like.... a rare person in these times. :)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

kingturnip posted:

Given Blair's ego, he - or his staff - almost certainly vets any questions he'll be asked and refuses the interview if there's something he doesn't like and the journalist won't back down.

Then he shouldn't have been in the documentary at all, he was hardly crucial.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You assume that gammons who aren't retired actually do any real work at their jobs
The crossover between people who criticise the young for being lazy, and people who live off passive income streams is [insert joke about a circle that is big idk I can't be arsed]

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

I've been overweight all my life.

That's not an answer.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dabir posted:

That's not an answer.

I know!

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The crossover between people who criticise the young for being lazy, and people who live off passive income streams is [insert joke about a circle that is big idk I can't be arsed] so big and round it's memory foam mattress forgot

I got one!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E: nvm, not worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Why can't you answer the question? It's not a very difficult one.