Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've been replaying Saint's Row 2, and it's still great and holds up for the most part. I just have a few complaints like the game deciding for me "It's time for mandatory fun" and ordering a pushback on my territory entirely across the drat city. They aren't even hard to clear but they're so tedious because you have to drive all the way over there and then hunt down the six-ten lieutenants keeping the area from you.

And you can't ignore the cell phone call telling you about them because the territory comes under attack regardless. All the phone call does it tell you it's happened. It wouldn't be so bad if the AI chose an area with no stores in it, but no... naturally the AI has to choose the territory with like five shops in it to keep you from getting that extra money. :rant:

Also the Heli Assault activity is bullshit. The final level of it is down to random luck if you can pass it or not. If the game decides "gently caress you" then it spawns three or four cars to attack the van you're supposed to protect, and those cars all have assholes that spam rockets and completely deplete the van's health in seconds. On top of that the whole time the person in the van is screaming at you every time they so much as stub a toe while they take the most circuitous possible route to their destination.

And it's no better in Saints Row the Third, because then one of the people you have to protect is the tiny mousy girl with the incredibly annoying and shrill voice, and she will let you know if she takes damage. Oh how she will let you know.

:negative: Why did Volition do it? They had to know nobody would like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

DoubleNegative posted:

I've been replaying Saint's Row 2, and it's still great and holds up for the most part. I just have a few complaints like the game deciding for me "It's time for mandatory fun" and ordering a pushback on my territory entirely across the drat city. They aren't even hard to clear but they're so tedious because you have to drive all the way over there and then hunt down the six-ten lieutenants keeping the area from you.

And you can't ignore the cell phone call telling you about them because the territory comes under attack regardless. All the phone call does it tell you it's happened. It wouldn't be so bad if the AI chose an area with no stores in it, but no... naturally the AI has to choose the territory with like five shops in it to keep you from getting that extra money. :rant:

Not that it makes it good but iirc you can skip the pushback by saving and loading.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Also the Heli Assault activity is bullshit. The final level of it is down to random luck if you can pass it or not. If the game decides "gently caress you" then it spawns three or four cars to attack the van you're supposed to protect, and those cars all have assholes that spam rockets and completely deplete the van's health in seconds. On top of that the whole time the person in the van is screaming at you every time they so much as stub a toe while they take the most circuitous possible route to their destination.

And it's no better in Saints Row the Third, because then one of the people you have to protect is the tiny mousy girl with the incredibly annoying and shrill voice, and she will let you know if she takes damage. Oh how she will let you know.

:negative: Why did Volition do it? They had to know nobody would like that.

In the same vein, Spore had a literal 5 minute timer that had something attack your planets whenever it procced

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's funny to me that the solution to CPU AI fuckery is online head to head play when I read about the rampant cheating and exploits that go on with that.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I remember the SR2 minigames frustrating me very differently depending on whether I was playing the console or PC versions. Heli assault with a controller was maddening, with mouse/keyboard it was way easier to click enemy heads cars before they ever touched my buddies.

It was very stupid to have them yell at you while they foolishly took a route through the airport where you couldn't shoot the baddies, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

As I recall in online co-op one player would fly and the other shoot, which I can well imagine would have been very much easier, in a kind of proto version of the Dark Souls "summon help online" design tenet.

Also there's two different helicopters where one has homing missiles and the other does not. Always found it much easier to use the gun with the one that didn't. Actually quite possibly with the homing one, too.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BiggerBoat posted:

It's funny to me that the solution to CPU AI fuckery is online head to head play when I read about the rampant cheating and exploits that go on with that.

One of the more interesting solutions to Bad AI I've ever seen implemented was in Rome Total War 2. If you have the computer for it, you can play multiplayer campaign - where in each real-time pitched battle, your opponent can play as the AI's army. It makes for a very interesting experience.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The bit where 2B is infected with a virus in Nier:Automata sucks rear end to the point where I've had to stop playing as I was reaching a level of controller-smashing rage I haven't felt since I was an angsty teen. The worst part was looking for help and seeing most of the fanbase say 'no no no, it's cool to get stunlocked to death multiple times and not be able to move, attack or dodge because it's meant to suck rear end, it's art!'.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Walton Simons posted:

The bit where 2B is infected with a virus in Nier:Automata sucks rear end to the point where I've had to stop playing as I was reaching a level of controller-smashing rage I haven't felt since I was an angsty teen. The worst part was looking for help and seeing most of the fanbase say 'no no no, it's cool to get stunlocked to death multiple times and not be able to move, attack or dodge because it's meant to suck rear end, it's art!'.

Is that the part where you slowly walk across the map as your screen shits the bed? because that's loving awful

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

On the one hand I want to treat your opinions as valid, on the other I can't help but wonder about y'all preferring a game that puts you in a state of comfort throughout and settling on Nier :v:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Len posted:

Is that the part where you slowly walk across the map as your screen shits the bed? because that's loving awful

That's the one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Walton Simons posted:

The problem with that part is that it's a classic 'forced plot loss, but still a game over for dying' segment. But it's also one of the only instances of it that I get, I can see exactly why they did it. Doesn't make it better, though; it just leaves me stumped on how I'd possibly improve it.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Walton Simons posted:

I hosed up during that part and ended up down in the hole in the middle of the map. If I also didn’t rage quit the game I think it would have taken me around 30 minutes just to drag myself out at 3 mph and no jumping.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

moosecow333 posted:

I hosed up during that part and ended up down in the hole in the middle of the map. If I also didn’t rage quit the game I think it would have taken me around 30 minutes just to drag myself out at 3 mph and no jumping.

I did that too lmao

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's as much of a rite of passage as posting gently caress TED FARO is while first playing Horizon Zero Dawn. Literally everyone does it. It happened to me too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

moosecow333 posted:

Hey same

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BiggerBoat posted:

The solution to CPU AI being bad in strategy game is to stop making the AI "just another player". The single player mode should have the player in asymmetric scenarios against armies and units that do things no players can.
Have story levels like "ok RTSman here is your tiny starting base, the AI is over there in a giant heavily-defended city with a forcefield. your job is to raid all these smaller enemy bases to take out the shield generators in them while building up your army so by the time you get the last one you're strong enough to fight toe-to-toe in the enemy capitol". Stuff like that! Not just "normal multiplayer 1v1 match but one of the players is a bot", that poo poo is boring as hell.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Stuff like that! Not just "normal multiplayer 1v1 match but one of the players is a bot", that poo poo is boring as hell.

Company of Heroes 3 seems to be going this route, which is a problem in company of heroes because the AI already has a habit of sending its entire army at the weakest possible point in your lines 100% of the time with no recon.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The solution to CPU AI being bad in strategy game is to stop making the AI "just another player". The single player mode should have the player in asymmetric scenarios against armies and units that do things no players can.
Have story levels like "ok RTSman here is your tiny starting base, the AI is over there in a giant heavily-defended city with a forcefield. your job is to raid all these smaller enemy bases to take out the shield generators in them while building up your army so by the time you get the last one you're strong enough to fight toe-to-toe in the enemy capitol". Stuff like that! Not just "normal multiplayer 1v1 match but one of the players is a bot", that poo poo is boring as hell.

A lot of them do this kind of gimmick already. I’m pretty sure the original StarCraft had a couple of these.

Hell I feel like Command and Conquer might have had a few similar sections, it’s been a while though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah that's the standard approach for singleplayer RTS campaigns, you generally only see a more symmetric setup in skirmisk / quick-game / whatever.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
Observation has to be one of the most frustrating games I've played in a while. You play as the computer on a space station trying to solve why everything on the station is all hosed up. At every step it feels like it's wasting my time. Minigames will repeat the same input sequence 4-5 times with no consequence for failure or delay except restarting so only the first iteration is interesting, and some of these minigames do things like unlocking doors so you're gonna be doing them dozens of times.

Every cinematic in the game takes 10-15 seconds longer than it should. Like literally, it just holds for an extra 10-15 seconds on the last shot when it could have just cut back to gameplay. The most frustrating part though was when a perfect second copy of the space station you are on appears next to you in orbit and you go over to investigate. The incredibly bare bones and weak map you've been relying on up until now is taken from you even though you are on the exact loving same space station! There's no mystery, there's even dead versions of the exact same people floating around because it is a literal copy! The map screen just says "data not found" and it makes navigating everything ten times worse. Also most of the time your POV is the various cameras around the station, and their max speed for panning is absolutely glacial.

By the time I dropped the game I just wanted it to pretty please let me hurry the gently caress up and play. Also all the cutscenes were unskippable. It started out so promising that it was pretty disappointing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I agree but this is a good way to establish your game as "PROOF THE AI CHEATS" on youtube

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Walton Simons posted:

The real answer is that it's the only stealth section in the entire game and what you are supposed to do is closely look at your radar and take the long way around to avoid enemy patrols. There's a safe route through the narrow alleys as long as you avoid the massive crater.

It's not immediately obvious but it's not broken by any means.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

God of War PS4

The realm of Muspelheim is, like... entirely superfluous. The gear you can get from there is actually quite nice, or at least it appears to be so, but the amount of effort the game asks of you to be able to get most of it is absolutely insane, and the only way to make the grind for them even moderately reasonable is to be so much stronger that the gear in question is completely outdated. Literally the only reason to stick around there for longer than is absolutely necessary (defined here as however long you need to get the platinum trophy for the game) is to get materials to upgrade the REALLY good armors.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

A lot of them do this kind of gimmick already. I’m pretty sure the original StarCraft had a couple of these.

Hell I feel like Command and Conquer might have had a few similar sections, it’s been a while though.

Literally the last Allied mission from RA3. Y'know the "no capitalism in space" one.

RA3 sure did have a bunch of really imaginative missions for the SP campaign, and uprising really doubled down on it. Shame it was really kinda easy and shortish though.

E: And the last Red Alert for ten years and counting, too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

serefin99 posted:

God of War PS4

The realm of Muspelheim is, like... entirely superfluous. The gear you can get from there is actually quite nice, or at least it appears to be so, but the amount of effort the game asks of you to be able to get most of it is absolutely insane, and the only way to make the grind for them even moderately reasonable is to be so much stronger that the gear in question is completely outdated. Literally the only reason to stick around there for longer than is absolutely necessary (defined here as however long you need to get the platinum trophy for the game) is to get materials to upgrade the REALLY good armors.

I really wish Muspelheim started you off in the first central area. Gets really tiresome really quick having to hoof it from the spawn to that area and back again for each run.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

moosecow333 posted:

Once you figure out the route you’re intended to take, you can do it pretty easily but the game does literally nothing to clue you in as to where to go.

I think I failed it once by going down that hole you mentioned and never after that.

Also the game accelerates the corruption when you hit certain area triggers for dramatic effect to make it seem a lot “closer” than it really is.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Lobok posted:

I really wish Muspelheim started you off in the first central area. Gets really tiresome really quick having to hoof it from the spawn to that area and back again for each run.

Honestly, everything about the area is tiring. They should have had an update that would make it less horrible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's just so much travelling in general for both of the challenge realms. Like it's interesting the first time, but as it happens so often with videogames, the devs don't really care about players who will obviously want to repeat them. If you're somewhere in the story but want to try a specific challenge, ok gamer, get on over to the realm shifter and shift realms and then hike up a flippin' mountain to get to the one you want. Which one is it you want, again? Don't worry, go up to each obelisk and read the description to check. And no, sorry, your character doesn't move particularly fast.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

God of War turning into a grindathon.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

The real answer is that it's the only stealth section in the entire game and what you are supposed to do is closely look at your radar and take the long way around to avoid enemy patrols. There's a safe route through the narrow alleys as long as you avoid the massive crater.

It's not immediately obvious but it's not broken by any means.

Well that was annoyingly easy now I know that.

Second thing dragging the game down: I procrastinated during the next bit where you control 9S and got the Q ending and the game made me do it again. Such harsh checkpointing throughout.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

"Hiding" tutorials by having the protagonist talk to themselves out loud and constantly explain what to do.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wait...that note.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

So if I press the square button, I can crouch down to move more quietly....hnnn.....

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

"Hiding" tutorials by having the protagonist talk to themselves out loud and constantly explain what to do.

My favorite one of these was in Enchanted Arms where the main character has to be told what a ladder is and how to use it

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

christmas boots posted:

My favorite one of these was in Enchanted Arms where the main character has to be told what a ladder is and how to use it

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

So... what is it?!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

CordlessPen posted:

So... what is it?!

a butthole

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CordlessPen posted:

So... what is it?!

A miserable pile of planes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There's a fun explaining moment in Skyward Sword where a villager tells you to go to the Statue of the Goddess and explains to you what it is....you know, that ginormous centerpiece of the tiny sky island you live on, that you've literally been able to see during any moment you've spent outdoors in all the time you've lived here?