Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

In a way, maybe we were saved by the budget. If D&D got to go whole hog back then, we'd have a detailed sequence where hundreds of Lannister cavalry just charge into a Stark spear wall and all die for no reason.

They had more oversight back then, so probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That DICK! posted:

One of the early seasons had the national version which was great

It's so good was surprised it came from the guys who did "Mistaken for Strangers". If I remember right it plays over the credits of the Battle of the Blackwater episode.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zaphod42 posted:

You remember in like Season 1 and 2 where they have battles but can't show them, like the Starks and Lannister armies meet and it just cuts to Rob being like "hey we caught the kingslayer!"

In a way, maybe we were saved by the budget. If D&D got to go whole hog back then, we'd have a detailed sequence where hundreds of Lannister cavalry just charge into a Stark spear wall and all die for no reason.

In retrospect it's hilarious that the seasons where they didn't have a budget for big battles were well received and thus they were granted more budget so they could do big battles. It's like, I get it, but at the same time it's also "oh people love A, so now let's spend more money to give them B instead of more A!". Big brain genius moves.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Considering it's entire budget was blown on the green explosion money shot and most of the actual battle was spent hiding by the walls or on a tiny stretch of land Blackwater was such a stunning episode of TV. It's a real example of a product being elevated by the need to creatively work around limitations.

The only other battle in the show that felt nearly as fun to watch was the Wall in season 4.

stev fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 16, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A thing I completely forgot happens: Ellaria Sand putting the moves on Yara completely out of left-field

I was much better off when I'd completely memory holed this one. It's terrible

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
HBO just announced they’re green lighting 2 more spin-offs

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/game-of-thrones-animated-yiti-1234982593/

gently caress this, they’ve become the Activision of TV

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/game-of-thrones-animated-yiti-1234982593/

I'm really curious if people watch these. How badly did the ending kill excited for the franchise? I guess we're going to find out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

A GoT take on the mystical orient which only has lore written by two Scandinavian white supremacists is gonna be so bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Orange Devil posted:

In retrospect it's hilarious that the seasons where they didn't have a budget for big battles were well received and thus they were granted more budget so they could do big battles. It's like, I get it, but at the same time it's also "oh people love A, so now let's spend more money to give them B instead of more A!". Big brain genius moves.

Yeah I stroooongly agree.

The show was popular for the politicking and intrigue, so... they turned it into a fantasy heroic adventure :doh:

Insert clips of D&D talking about how bad they wanted the zombie polar bear and how they wanted the show to appeal to football players.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One of my favorite things about GoT was this huge map where only part of it was focused on, with the rest being a mystery. Westeros itself is pretty small all things considered.

That always did make me wonder what would happen if a White Walker invasion or Westeros succeeded. Would they have just chilled there and not moved to other places?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Nichael posted:

I'm really curious if people watch these. How badly did the ending kill excited for the franchise? I guess we're going to find out.

I think it's going to be an initial reaction decision. People will try it but I don't think there's a ton of room for any of these spinoffs to have a slow start or need a working out period.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For them to be activision, they'd need to have fired the original staff and replaced them with D&D on a small budget, then cancelled the franchise after people lost interest.

Nah. I think doing more shows is fine, although we'll see if they can get anybody to watch them.

Nichael posted:

Matt Smith as a targaryen and big production values means I'll give it a chance.

There's just not a lot of big budget fantasy shows, so I have to take what I can get.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

bobjr posted:

That always did make me wonder what would happen if a White Walker invasion or Westeros succeeded. Would they have just chilled there and not moved to other places?

Knowing how the show ended, the last scene would be the night king sitting on a frozen throne. He utters his first words and the last of the series - “What’s west of Westeros?”

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A voice like cracking ice emanates from deep within his chest. "And who shall sit on the throne? Why, who has a better story than Craster's 28th bastard, Bucky the Ice Zombie Baby?"

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

regulargonzalez posted:

A voice like cracking ice emanates from deep within his chest. "And who shall sit on the throne? Why, who has a better story than Craster's 28th bastard, Bucky the Ice Zombie Baby?"

Bucky the Brokebrained

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

One of my favorite things about GoT was this huge map where only part of it was focused on, with the rest being a mystery. Westeros itself is pretty small all things considered.

I think indications are they would have stayed there. If they could cross water they could have gone around the Wall, unless the magic was keeping them from doing it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The “lore” says not-China has a massive series of fortifications in their northern border to defend against some legendary poo poo in their history that is pretty explicitly implied to be the same Long Night that happened to Westeros. So the Others/White Walkers are apparently a world wide threat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Need a Game of Thrones MMO where they add a continent per expansion.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
New York Mets fireballer Noah Syndegaard has a brief cameo in the battle where Dany unleashes Drogon on the Lannisters

He's hurling a javelin. P. good casting imo

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

bobjr posted:

hard to say given that the motivations of the white walkers were never explained. An unknowable enemy who does things for no apparent reason.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I still laugh at this video that came out right after Season 5

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih_ZAGCfMY0

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Zaphod42 posted:

You remember in like Season 1 and 2 where they have battles but can't show them, like the Starks and Lannister armies meet and it just cuts to Rob being like "hey we caught the kingslayer!"

The scene towards the end of S1 where Catelyn is on the ridge watching for Robb to return from battle and he comes though the thicket with like two dozen guards is easily one of the most understated and effective sequences in the show, and IIRC they had to do it like that because they were nearly out of horse budget for the first season so they couldn't show a huge Stark army on the march.

And to top it off that's where we see Robb managed to capture Jaime, which is a nice sort of obvious stakes elevation moment that the audience doesn't need to be beat over the head with.

I can't think of anything comparable in the latter seasons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh they greenlit more shows? Neat. Whatever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bran early in Season 7: I can never be Lord of Winterfell. I can never be lord of anything. I'm the Three-Eyed Raven.

Bran in the finale: gently caress yeah I came here to be king motherfucker gimmie dat crown

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Bran early in Season 7: I can never be Lord of Winterfell. I can never be lord of anything. I'm the Three-Eyed Raven.

Bran in the finale: gently caress yeah I came here to be king motherfucker gimmie dat crown

This was clearly a plot point that GRRM said needs to happen but they laid zero ground work for it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This was clearly a plot point that GRRM said needs to happen but they laid zero ground work for it.

Just like basically everything in the last 3 episodes.

I can see how GRRM would get there with a few more books. D&D should have just told him they couldn't do it and written the Jon + Dany 4ever ending everyone wanted.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nah, I don't think that was them terrified to go against GRRM's ending plan. I think that was them trying to be subversive.

D&D learned the wrong lesson from the Red Wedding. From then on, GOT was about chasing those controversial twist scenes.
And "subverting expectations" became a buzzword right around the time of the final seasons.

We'll see what GRRM's ending actually is (lol no we won't) but there's no way its going down like how the show did. There's just so much different that they'll be incomparable even if Bran sits the throne at the end, but I'm not so sure that's actually the way things will end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I can see how GRRM would get there with a few more books. D&D should have just told him they couldn't do it and written the Jon + Dany 4ever ending everyone wanted.

This makes it sound like D&D were working for GRRM. That's not the case at all.

He sent them some notes and they were 100% free to ignore it or not. He had almost nothing to do with the production by the end, unlike the first season where he was writing most of the scripts, he basically wanted nothing to do with the show by the end. They wouldn't have even have had to ask his permission to go against his ending, they could do whatever they wanted. And HBO gave them all the rope they wanted to hang themselves with.

If the ending was HBO mandating things or GRRM keeping them to a contract I could understand the fuckup better. But that's not what happened. They had full creative freedom to do anything they wanted with the show, and CHOOSE this because they thought it would be good.

E: Like, I seriously doubt Cleganebowl is part of GRRM's ending. That was D&D doing what they thought the fans wanted. They thought they were killing it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

This makes it sound like D&D were working for GRRM. That's not the case at all.

He sent them some notes and they were 100% free to ignore it or not. He had almost nothing to do with the production by the end, unlike the first season where he was writing most of the scripts, he basically wanted nothing to do with the show by the end. They wouldn't have even have had to ask his permission to go against his ending, they could do whatever they wanted. And HBO gave them all the rope they wanted to hang themselves with.

I don't think they gave enough of a poo poo at that point to sit down with the writers and break through to a different ending though. They had the notes for the "real" one so why bother?

There are a few things I think are just outright fan service like Arya killing the Night King and Cleganebowl. No way those things would happen if the books ever got finished. But Dany going nuts, Sansa as Queen in the North, King Bran, there's already groundwork in the books for that stuff.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 17, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think they gave enough of a poo poo at that point to sit down with the writers and break through to a different ending though. They had the notes for the "real" one so why bother?

There are a few things I think are just outright fan service like Arya killing the Night King and Cleganebowl. No way those things would happen if the books ever got finished. But Dany going nuts, Sansa as Queen in the North, King Bran, there's already groundwork in the books for that stuff.

Yeah that's a better way of putting it. They went with the notes they were given because it was the easy thing to do, the lazy thing. But they could have gone off-script if they had a sensible idea of how to end the story, they just didn't so :shrug: guess we'll do the notes thing?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
GRRM can't even write a loving ending to his own books, are we surprised that the showrunners couldn't either?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

There are a few plot points to the story past the books already released that GRRM laid out plainly that they did. Burning Shireen, Hold the Door, and Bran being king. He didn’t tell them HOW they would happen because he didn’t loving know and likely still doesn’t because he is a directionless idiot. But those big bullet points are gonna happen, just maybe in a very different context.

But the books are never coming out so oh well

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There are a few plot points to the story past the books already released that GRRM laid out plainly that they did. Burning Shireen, Hold the Door, and Bran being king. He didn’t tell them HOW they would happen because he didn’t loving know and likely still doesn’t because he is a directionless idiot. But those big bullet points are gonna happen, just maybe in a very different context.

I think he's got a broad outline of how but he's twisted the plot into such a huge loving mess that he can't untangle it. I don't think he's suuuuuuuuper lazy and not trying, but it may just be intractable, and Brian Sanderson will poo poo out the book equivalent of the rushed TV ending once he dies.

He'd originally planned to have the plot jump ahead 5 years and solve a lot of the problems with an exposition dump, but he abandoned that for some reason and now is stuck with like "well ... maybe it'll be 4 more books ..."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I think he's got a broad outline of how but he's twisted the plot into such a huge loving mess that he can't untangle it. I don't think he's suuuuuuuuper lazy and not trying, but it may just be intractable, and Brian Sanderson will poo poo out the book equivalent of the rushed TV ending once he dies.

He'd originally planned to have the plot jump ahead 5 years and solve a lot of the problems with an exposition dump, but he abandoned that for some reason and now is stuck with like "well ... maybe it'll be 4 more books ..."

He made an outline for a trilogy in the early 90s that someone a couple years back got a hold of from some university archive and he changed a lot of poo poo but the very basics are the same and through 4 books (books 4 and 5 are one actual book) he’s not even halfway through the second part of the trilogy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He made an outline for a trilogy in the early 90s that someone a couple years back got a hold of from some university archive and he changed a lot of poo poo but the very basics are the same and through 4 books (books 4 and 5 are one actual book) he’s not even halfway through the second part of the trilogy.

:lol:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Also in the original outline Tyrion, Jon, and Ayra are in a love triangle. No I’m not lying.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I found the original letter, but not in any better quality than this.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't get who their target audience for this is. Book readers are pissed at the show tarnishing and most likely being the only ending this franchise will get. The show never ever mentioned Yi Ti so Show only people very likely won't give a gently caress.

You can't just have a random series just because "It happens on the universe of Game of Thrones", specially where the "fans" goodwill with the franchise is currently standing. AND specially since the show didn't give a crap about worldbuilding in fear of scaring away soccer moms.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 17, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also in the original outline Tyrion, Jon, and Ayra are in a love triangle. No I’m not lying.

Oh, yeah I've seen that. I thought you were talking about a more developed document. I assume that one's way out of date.

bobjr posted:

I found the original letter, but not in any better quality than this.

The part that sticks out to me here is "I find that if I know exactly where a book is going, I lose all interest in writing it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I stroooongly agree.

The show was popular for the politicking and intrigue, so... they turned it into a fantasy heroic adventure :doh:

Insert clips of D&D talking about how bad they wanted the zombie polar bear and how they wanted the show to appeal to football players.

The hilarious thing is that apparently football players and loads of other people loving loved GoT when it was about politicking and intrigue. D&D just had such utter disdain for their audience and probably people in general, but what can we expect from a bunch of silver spooned failsons?