Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Diablo 2 resurrected chat.
What system is everyone planning on getting it on and why?

I have a passable PC(gtx1060), a switch, and an Xbox Series X. Do we have any indication on how it plays on consoles versus pc? Because I would prefer it on my portable console or my powerhouse console versus my survivable PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RodShaft posted:

I have a passable PC(gtx1060), a switch, and an Xbox Series X. Do we have any indication on how it plays on consoles versus pc? Because I would prefer it on my portable console or my powerhouse console versus my survivable PC.

None of the above at this point. Down the road if they make some changes, maybe.

Switch they've been weird about not including it (saying PC, xbox and PS only) for a couple things, whether it's actually omitted or any error I'm not sure. Like the beta and I believe there was something also about multiplayer. Just wait for reviews for switch, IMO. Dunno how inventory management will work on console either where it's a bit easier to drop stuff right where you want with a mouse.

Also it's a blizzard game so I'm sure that GPU is fine. Min req is a GTX 660.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 15, 2021

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The endgame of D2 is completely terrible. I'd be interested if they did a serious content patch but I doubt it. If there's a demo I'll try it. Xbox most likely.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

RodShaft posted:

Can't imagine playing it on anything else than a PC really.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
PC here as well. D2 on a controller doesn't sound very appealing.

External Organs posted:

The endgame of D2 is completely terrible. I'd be interested if they did a serious content patch but I doubt it. If there's a demo I'll try it. Xbox most likely.

Yeah. I pre-ordered D2R cause the graphics are awesome and I want to go through the campaign with all of the classes again, but I have no intention of playing the game past that.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Definitely PC so I can switch over to botting 24/7 when I get bored of it after a couple weeks

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just don’t give a poo poo about Diablo II, everything, absolutely everything that I liked about D2 is better in D3 (except for Druids, so of course I’ll get drunk and buy it and roll a Druid to max level and slap Diablo off his barstool with my giant bear paws)

So yeah, I’m not gonna buy it, but when I do buy it, which I won’t, it’ll be PC…

See you at launch, I guess

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PC but only if the outrage is mostly just nerds mad about QoL stuff.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I never would have considered Diablo 3 on a console either, but it works surprisingly well. And just think how much prettier it would be on my series X then my PC I'll never upgrade again.

Seems like the general consensus is PC though.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I have no interest in vanilla d2 end game but I really enjoy the exact same endgame in hardcore. Hardcore diablo 2 is some of the most fun I've had in the genre. I'm hoping all the math for the blind teleporting meph sorc still applies in resurrected.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

External Organs posted:

The endgame of D2 is completely terrible. I'd be interested if they did a serious content patch but I doubt it.

It's ok, they're listening to feedback from the alpha and have not only revamped the graphics for the blizzard spell but also increased from 1 to 3 shared stash tabs so I'm sure this is on their roadmap :rolleyes:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bunch of people are gonna be in for a rude awakening when they remember that their fond memories of D2 were made possible entirely through botting.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I know some people who entered the series at 3 and seem mildly interested in 2. If they want to get it I'll play with them on PC bit otherwise I'll get it never.

Aaod
May 29, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Bunch of people are gonna be in for a rude awakening when they remember that their fond memories of D2 were made possible entirely through botting.

Or duping. Trying to get necessary items legit was an awful experience and the difference between having them and not having them was dramatic so you kept hitting a wall of do I bot, find someone with dupes, or just give up.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
There was a streamer that set out to get every item. It took him 2 years. 6 months for all but one and then another 18 months for the last item.

I don't know if that included runes or just wearable gear.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Swilo posted:

It's ok, they're listening to feedback from the alpha and have not only revamped the graphics for the blizzard spell but also increased from 1 to 3 shared stash tabs so I'm sure this is on their roadmap :rolleyes:

Lmao I saw this on my news feed and yeah, awesome, great job guys.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Honestly, if you want to punch yourself in the balls that much, just grab D2GS and a copy of the game and play your own server. You can mess with drop rates and everything, so you aren't spending a year to find one rune.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
There's several fan projects that have actually improved on D2, and will give you the same nostalgia feel without the botting or .0000001 droprate. Even if I didn't half-expect Blizz to gently caress up something (like Warcraft Remastered), I wouldn't pay for it.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Eastern Sun is the only one I've played, and it is pretty great.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Median XL was a fantastic D2 mod. There was a particularly fun questline where you had to get decently into act 2 while staying under level 20 to get the full rewards, and the dungeon intentionally exploited next hit delay mechanics. It was a really enjoyable overhaul of the game in terms of skills and items, while adding a ton of neat content.

Actually playing D2 in tyool 2021? Everything I've seen is that they've refused to implement anything but the barest minimum of QoL features. Would I play a D2R that rebalanced the skills, added content on par with Median XL or Eastern Sun, and added/removed/rebalanced items? Hell yeah. Do I want to play D2 with a coat of paint after 20 years? Not really.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I suspect that I will get about halfway through nightmare difficulty before I get bored and shelve it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I played Project D2 or whatever the just recent modded D2 was. It was fun but didn't last very long and improved graphics won't change much for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was 12-13 during the absolute height of Diablo 2, and still probably 4-5 years away from having a computer that could even run Diablo 2, but I remember having one or two characters on a friend’s account and playing them after school sometimes and then we’d go to the cyber cafe where the college kids had Quake and Unreal tournaments and there would be like 4-5 Uber-nerds who were all hardcore botting and had fully converted their cybercafe into essentially a botting farm. I remember watching them scroll past dozens of mules full of Unidentified garbage items, talking about the game in terms of how much each account was worth and how many accounts could they sell before the Chinese farmers really caught up to them, etc. and I realized that if that’s what high level Diablo 2 meant then I didn’t want to play Diablo 2 anymore. Absolutely no one was playing the game, they were just filling up mules and moving accounts.

I don’t think I ever saw a stone of Jordan, but I remember one time playing with some older guys and one of them heard me get excited about a rune and he just offered me $20 for it on the spot and I was like “sure” because I was 14 and I had no idea what it was or why ANYONE would EVER pay real life money for a piece of code in a video game.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm mostly interested in it for the controller support.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
There's also a total conversion mod for Grim Dawn that turns it into Diablo 2 that I've heard good things about.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I really enjoyed Path of Diablo for a few months a year or so ago. Still running strong, has a good and very nice online community. Great co op experience.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mr Scumbag posted:

I suspect that I will get about halfway through Act II before I get bored and shelve it.
I really cannot overstate how loving bad requiring two dozen items, each with a .0000001% drop rate, to progress past Nightmare was for my long-term enthusiasm.
Like, I've never done a GR past like 82 at my absolute peak and I feel I have loving mastered D3 compared to D2.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 16, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Diablo 2 absolutely isn’t even in the same conversation as Diablo 3 in terms of gearing/progression/build diversity/itemization. I do not believe 2 offers anything that 3 doesn’t do literally a billion times better. Diablo 2 was designed to waste as much of your time as possible, 3 has spent its entire lifespan trying to get to a place where you don’t feel that way, and now you can pilot a lvl 1 character to GR120 in probably 8 hours or less

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

now you can pilot a lvl 1 character to GR120 in probably 8 hours or less
Well, someone can, but it sure ain't me, I level each class to 70 at the start of the season and that probably takes me longer than it would anyone else. x'D

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

Well, someone can, but it sure ain't me, I level each class to 70 at the start of the season and that probably takes me longer than it would anyone else. x'D

I also enjoy the leveling in D3. So many weird skills to play with!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tubgoat posted:

Sorry wait, you level up YOUR CHARACTER to 70 at the start of each season, or you level up EVERY CLASS to 70?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

The meta in d2 was based around botting for items that were extremely good, but it was not required to beat hell. Self found characters aren't going to steamroll Baal runs or dispatch any elite affix combination with ease, but most builds can beat Hell in self found gear with game knowledge and patience.

It's totally valid to not be into diablo 2 but I never had a merc with the conviction polesrm, never had the item that gives any class teleport, or the weapon that gave any class the barbarian buff shouts, things that were considered required at the top end of play. And it was still fun for me.

Tldr the drop rates for the best stuff were truly absurd and unforgivably balanced, but they were also not necessary and I think a lot of people got pulled into the mentality that they WERE necessary because a large group of insane people decided that was the only way to play the gane

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

bamhand posted:

There was a streamer that set out to get every item. It took him 2 years. 6 months for all but one and then another 18 months for the last item.

I don't know if that included runes or just wearable gear.

Just gear. And even after all of that he had the galaxy brain take that QoL stuff would make the game too easy.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I am excited to play D2 again, but I am not going to go hard on it. Like everyone has said, the drop rates are horrid. I played that game so much that I just want to have the ability to play it again and not have it look weird due to modern computers loving it up.

#lagomancerlife

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

The meta in d2 was based around botting for items that were extremely good, but it was not required to beat hell. Self found characters aren't going to steamroll Baal runs or dispatch any elite affix combination with ease, but most builds can beat Hell in self found gear with game knowledge and patience.

It's totally valid to not be into diablo 2 but I never had a merc with the conviction polesrm, never had the item that gives any class teleport, or the weapon that gave any class the barbarian buff shouts, things that were considered required at the top end of play. And it was still fun for me.

Tldr the drop rates for the best stuff were truly absurd and unforgivably balanced, but they were also not necessary and I think a lot of people got pulled into the mentality that they WERE necessary because a large group of insane people decided that was the only way to play the gane

This is very true, but SSF Diablo 2 is a very different experience from any modern ARPG, even SSF Path of Exile. It turns the game from a fast-paced murderfest into a slow, methodical dungeon crawl and while I'm totally into that I can't really blame anyone else for not liking it.

Diablo 3 in particular went the route of "Everyone gets to the be the kitted out Engima Hammerdin!" and that's unironically awesome, but if that's your jam in particular you're probably not going to like D2 even with better graphics and a couple QoL nods. I still play both games from time to time, but because of the very different experiences from each, not in spite of them.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

Sorry wait, you level up YOUR CHARACTER to 70 at the start of each season, or you level up EVERY CLASS to 70?
Seven characters each season, bouncing unfocusedly between them, usually choosing rhe wrong set.

External Organs posted:

Lmao I don't enjoy it I am goblin-brained af.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

big cummers ONLY posted:

This is what people mean when they say the end-game in d2 is non-existent; everything up to that point is so good but then it just ends without botting and duping to feed the economy. It's a shame because so many of those builds are fun as heck!!

External Organs posted:

It's so cool when you get a non-meta class legendary during leveling and tweak your build around it for 20 levels. Has any game done a time-based progression system to try and reward playing builds that aren't maximally optimized for <whatever per hour>? There's a bunch of fun skills in ARPGs that never get used.

Swilo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 17, 2021

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I preferred the class in Diablo 2 but aside of that diablo 3 + expac is a pretty good game now.

I just hate the way diablo 2 locked up point in the trees and if you hosed up, welp you have to restart the whole game.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

Seven characters each season, bouncing unfocusedly between them, usually choosing rhe wrong set.

Not going to tell you what to do, but a level 1 character can get to level 55 or so from a single level 70 torment ~4 neph rift, roughly. Unless power leveling is no good to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Chakan posted:

Not going to tell you what to do, but a level 1 character can get to level 55 or so from a single level 70 torment ~4 neph rift, roughly. Unless power leveling is no good to you?

Switch, and no time to coordinate a Goon Squad. I powerlevel with a Rank 25 Gem of Ease. Would I like an easier way?
Of course. Is there one logistically available to me ever? No.