Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Thanks guys! Probably going to have to pick one up. This thread rules.

Welp, found one on AE for $86 shipped so it's not like I had a choice in the matter. It'll get here when it gets here, but nevertheless :stoked:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This steam monster doesn't look portable at all!

Question about just using it as home Steam box to play steam games on a 1080p TV, is it roughly the power of PS4.5, something like that? I haven't touched console gaming since my kid was born.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

This steam monster doesn't look portable at all!

Question about just using it as home Steam box to play steam games on a 1080p TV, is it roughly the power of PS4.5, something like that? I haven't touched console gaming since my kid was born.

Speculation right now is is about as powerful as the last gen Xbox. So it could do that yes.

There are cheaper options that would do much better for that price range if portability isn’t your thing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

this interview owns. one of the first things they say is “this is a pc and you can do the usual pc stuff” and half the subsequent questions are like “can you do [pc thing]?” and the valve guys are like “it remains a pc”

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I think I've properly convinced myself I don't want this thing although the tech in it is very very cool. I've never really wanted to play any games portably despite how cool some of them would be portably -- and the ones that could suffice on portable consoles, the Switch fills that void. It is, however, sad that this console and its price points show that Nintendo *could have* increased the specs on the Switch we have now and at least given us the minor improvements like docked 4K relative to this thing's docked 8K.

That said, in this thread's context, I don't think it warrants the cost for my specific needs. I have a MiSTer for play at home in the supernook on two screens; one modern, one CRT. Then for portable play, I usually either port my saves, or use some crazy set of syncing, rules, pairing and whatnot to get them on an RG351V or something and size really is the factor there. Small, lightweight, nice to hold.

I do think the Steamdeck is really cool though. Really cool tech that I'm sure Microsoft will capitalize on in x years.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

LODGE NORTH posted:

It is, however, sad that this console and its price points show that Nintendo *could have* increased the specs on the Switch we have now and at least given us the minor improvements like docked 4K relative to this thing's docked 8K.

Not really, we don't know how much of a loss Valve is eating on this thing to try and establish the handheld PC form factor as a thing and Nintendo never sells hardware at a loss. Also this thing probably isn't going to run any actual games at 1440p, let alone 4k so saying it can output 8k is one of those extreme giant asterisk technicalities to say the frontend will be 8k.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

That just makes it worse for me to buy :shrug:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Gabe has confirmed they're selling at a loss, though the premium for storage has to help a bit. 64gb eMMC is one step above bottom tier Chromebooks. 256gb NVMe drives are $40-50 retail, vs the $130 price premium. 512 drives are $60 retail, vs a $250 markup, though you get an anti-glare treatment with that too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Reminder that ordering from Anbernic direct sometimes includes a case + super nice screen protector for free. They also ship FedEx which got here from China in 4 days.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I still think smartphone has killed the standalone handheld market, kind of like how nobody buys points-and-shoot anymore, unless you are that one youtuber who need to use a RX100 camera.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I noticed I could order it from the US for delivery in a week or two, or China and it estimates delivery in about a month. This was Aliexpress, though. Is there a way to order more directly than that?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Don't impulse buy things that tend to take two weeks to ship.

-The More You Know

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Been there done that. I find the oh I should not have done that starts about five minutes after ordering and the regret starts about 3 seconds after you get that shipping notification and can’t easily cancel the order anymore.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Chinook posted:

I noticed I could order it from the US for delivery in a week or two, or China and it estimates delivery in about a month. This was Aliexpress, though. Is there a way to order more directly than that?

I bought mine direct from anbernic.com from China. Idk about the glass screen protector but they still come with a surprisingly nice travel case.

In the checkout menu there’s an option for FedEx, that’s what got me mine so fast.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Don't impulse buy things that tend to take two weeks to ship.

-The More You Know

Better yet do this and try and forget about it. It will be like a little gift from your past self

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Wamdoodle posted:

Better yet do this and try and forget about it. It will be like a little gift from your past self

But I want it now!!!!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Wamdoodle posted:

Note: If you get too good at this, life becomes a neverending series of surprises both pleasant and otherwise

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Had that with aliexpress for a little while. All sorts of surprises!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

Note: If you get too good at this, life becomes a neverending series of surprises both pleasant and otherwise

I'm interested to hear about the otherwise tbh

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I open the mailbox everyday and get surprise package from aliexpress all the time. Some of them weird poo poo was so long ago I had forgotten about.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Tyty posted:

The idea of a potential full-speed Sonic Adventure 2 in my pocket is super appealing to me so I want to see if Dreamcast emulation makes a jump up.

I haven't played it on an RG351, but SA2 works brilliantly in Android Retroarch on the Flycast core.

The Dreamcast has a feature called order-independent alpha transparency, but emulating this correctly can have a big impact on performance. Flycast has three options, per-strip (least accurate, fastest), per-triangle (normal) and per-pixel (most accurate, slowest) and SA2 has almost no issues on per-triangle, but in SA1 the characters' faces in cutscenes can look a little glitchy.

Both games run really well with the built-in widescreen hack although a lot of objects get culled outside of the normal viewing area. There might be cheats you can use to fix this. You can also use a cheat to run SA1 at 60 fps which works great if you don't mind the cutscenes running at 2x speed.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Now I am hyped for getting a sd870 or 888 phone soon and run gamecube games in upscaled resolution. Gamecubes library is basically cutdown PS2 library, so I can still get partial PS2 fix.

The SD870 is fantastic for GC and Wii emulation at 1x and 2x resolution, and has no problems with Saturn, DC and PSP games at even higher resolutions.

The most powerful is the SD888 but I heard it can throttle on high load
Just below that is the SD865, 865+ and 870, which basically all use the same chip with some clock speed differences
Then there's the SD855, 855+ and 860

I tried the Poco X3 Pro with the 860, but Dolphin was just too slow and stuttery for most games. I returned it for the Poco F3 with the 870 which has been incredible. Nearly everything I've tried except F-ZERO GX runs almost perfectly, even Metroid Prime 1 and 2. However, I expect The Last Story and the Rogue Squadron games would still have trouble.

The Steam Deck sounds great, the only issue I have with it is the appearance. It's way too Atari Lynx/Sega Nomad for me. Why have those little trackpads when there's that big touchscreen?

I think it will work really well. I have a laptop with a Ryzen 5 4600h which is based on the Zen 2 Ryzen 5 3600 with 6c/12t except with a Vega 6 iGPU. The Steam Deck has a Zen 2 with 4c/8t and an RDNA2 iGPU which should run circles around the Vega 6. I run most of my games at 1280x800 on low and get mostly 60 fps in older games (360 and PS3 gen), but also in some more recent games like Forza Horizon 4. Of course Dolphin and PCSX2 work great and CEMU (Wii U) does too, but Citra (3DS) apparently isn't as well optimised for AMD CPUs or GPUs.

I also run a lot of games of microSD cards, which is fine for older games designed for regular hard drives. You might get stutters in open-world games that are constantly streaming in data.

Arch with KDE Plasma is a great choice and it's what I use on my laptop. I use a Windows partition for PC games since it's less of a hassle, but Arch should be good for games because it keeps everything up-to-date like the kernel and proton.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

That loving Sned posted:

The SD870 is fantastic for GC and Wii emulation at 1x and 2x resolution, and has no problems with Saturn, DC and PSP games at even higher resolutions.

The most powerful is the SD888 but I heard it can throttle on high load
Just below that is the SD865, 865+ and 870, which basically all use the same chip with some clock speed differences
Then there's the SD855, 855+ and 860

I tried the Poco X3 Pro with the 860, but Dolphin was just too slow and stuttery for most games. I returned it for the Poco F3 with the 870 which has been incredible. Nearly everything I've tried except F-ZERO GX runs almost perfectly, even Metroid Prime 1 and 2. However, I expect The Last Story and the Rogue Squadron games would still have trouble.

Good to hear, how much RAM your Poco F3 have? Can you tell me your Dolphin graphical setting?

I am thinking of getting a Motorola edge S (SD870, 6GB/8GB options, pretty good 4G band coverage), or maybe a SD888 phone.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's probably closest to the Xbox Series S. It's definitely "current gen" in the sense that it's using DDR5 RAM and the non-base-models have an NVME SSD, so it's not going to have the same RAM/storage bottlenecks that previous generation consoles have with current games. Pixel-for-pixel (which is to say this thing targets 720p) the APUs are pretty good too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The United States posted:

Looks like the Trimui got improved and price dropped, which makes it competitive for an ultra tiny ultra slim portable in the $50~ category

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sifOcAqpQg8

Does this have a headphone port?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Why does Steam Deck have touchpads at all? I understood doing it on the controller as a "Let's see if this takes off as a concept" thumbstick substitute but....now you have two thumbsticks, and a touchscreen.

Also it might just be a perspective thing but those sticks look like they're a mile away from the edges & it'll be cutting into your hands to reach them.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

oldskool posted:

Why does Steam Deck have touchpads at all? I understood doing it on the controller as a "Let's see if this takes off as a concept" thumbstick substitute but....now you have two thumbsticks, and a touchscreen.

Also it might just be a perspective thing but those sticks look like they're a mile away from the edges & it'll be cutting into your hands to reach them.

Probably to work with mouse only type games. I wouldn't be surprised if the Deck was going to be the Steam Controller V2 before being scrapped and going to this.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

people say the touch pads on the steam controller were awesome, which, ok. i’ll believe it i guess. but those touch pads were huge, round and concave, instead of these lovely little flat squares. i can’t imagine how any of the positive aspects of the old touch pads would be preserved in these

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No. It claims to support usb-c headphones but...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it probably supports one specific model of usb-c earbuds that were packaged with a xiaomi phone in 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

oldskool posted:

Let us not forget that outside of the Valve Index, every single valve hardware thing has failed spectacularly.

There’s a chance this will as well, although I’d argue that “switch but a pc!!” momentum will carry it pretty far

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the idea of a handheld pc sold by a company from which you can expect some degree of after-sales support is certainly appealing. but they should have made the controls normal, and not offered the 64gb emmc version

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve said it elsewhere but I think the Steam Deck is way too ugly for me. Whoever said Nomad nailed it.

I want it to be hugely successful though. I want the switch to have some competition, even if it’s a little, to drive change and more companies looking at making cool handheld consoles.

I travel a ton for work and I love my PS5 but my 351V, hacked 3DS and Switch are my jam. My absolute jam.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rolo posted:

I’ve said it elsewhere but I think the Steam Deck is way too ugly for me. Whoever said Nomad nailed it.

I want it to be hugely successful though. I want the switch to have some competition, even if it’s a little, to drive change and more companies looking at making cool handheld consoles.

I travel a ton for work and I love my PS5 but my 351V, hacked 3DS and Switch are my jam. My absolute jam.

Yeah portable gadgets being decent looking to strangers is very important.

Those PC base $1000 gaming handhelds are probably not ergonomically but much better looking. They should make one of those, but offer the grip as an accessories. Also put the weird track pads on the grip.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 16, 2021

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I get that the touchpads are supposed to work for mouse-only games, but this thing has a touchscreen and between that + mouse emulation on the joysticks it feels like there were already enough options to cover mouse input when needed without kneecapping controller input (which people are going to be using the vast majority of the time on this thing) in the process.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

imo the best way to handle mouse input on a touchscreen is to allow the user to toggle between directly tapping on stuff to click it and using the whole screen as a trackpad with tap-to-click. i guess the thumb touch pads would be good for like, ancient first person shooters with no source ports or controller support at all

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Weedle posted:

the idea of a handheld pc sold by a company from which you can expect some degree of after-sales support is certainly appealing. but they should have made the controls normal, and not offered the 64gb emmc version

It wouldn't get nearly the buzz with a $529 headline vs $399, and storage is the unsexy part so it's an easy cut, but it's hard to see the emmc version as anything but ewaste.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

I still think smartphone has killed the standalone handheld market, kind of like how nobody buys points-and-shoot anymore, unless you are that one youtuber who need to use a RX100 camera.

The handheld-only Nintendo Switch Lite has sold 14.7 million units through March 2021 (which is over a million more than the Wii U's total lifetime sales).

I think phones will dominate from here on out and have clearly carved up the market to the point where DS and 3DS sales figures are a thing of the past, but there still seems to be a healthy demand for dedicated handheld gaming devices.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can the 399 version emulation Switch, PS2 and PS3 games off sd card?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Can the 399 version emulation Switch, PS2 and PS3 games off sd card?

Should be able to, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The United States posted:

No. It claims to support usb-c headphones but...

Weedle posted:

it probably supports one specific model of usb-c earbuds that were packaged with a xiaomi phone in 2017

USB-C dongle / headphone support is actively being worked on right now by the launcher devs, fwiw. I lurk the "retro game handhelds" discord to keep an eye on releases and as of last night the author of Minui was asking people to test fixes aimed at improving USB-C headphone and adapter support. But if it's important to you, I'd definitely recommend waiting for confirmation that it's been sorted and your particular adapter is supported.