Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKeny1 posted:

become beautiful and murder you're friends

A good tagline for the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It looks like the main character and the silver dude can split back apart into their original forms. From the initial stuff I thought it would be a demifiend situation where the change was permanent.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You asked for gender choice on protags so they made the protag gender neutral like an angel (I choose to believe this until they say this is not what's going on)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cosmic Egg is grossss

The game gave me new challenge quests in the middle of the egg, I assume I get a chance to go back to Tokyo after I end the egg.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The game won't let you save beyond a point of no return, no need to worry about that.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
That story trailer has me reaching critical levels of hype, I can't believe how loving good this game looks

really want to know what the deal is with the demon that looks like evil Aku-Aku and lets people ride around in his mouth

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Goat posted:

Cosmic Egg is grossss

The game gave me new challenge quests in the middle of the egg, I assume I get a chance to go back to Tokyo after I end the egg.

The tokyo-centric nature of the plot kinda makes you realize that the torrents of souls you see in the egg wouldn't really be possible in an actual post apocalypse tokyo. The numbers don't add up.
Not to mention that The Eastern Kingdom of Mikado wasn't targeted by the divine powers after the cosmic egg was made, even though there's a huge hole in the ceiling and plenty of souls above ground while the angels are in complete disarray from merkabah getting murked.

I handwave it away by having a headcanon that being trapped in a slow-time field under masakado with the expanse reactor has caused Tokyo to be supersaturated with magnetite from the expanse, and the souls of the humans within are super extra potent to the divine powers because of all the accumulated magnetite stored within.

But that same dense magnetite atmosphere in tokyo that allows powerful deities to summon themselves into tokyo with little effort also traps them there since they can't sustain themselves effortlessly anywhere else without an external source.

The weaker demons on the surface don't need that much magnetite to manifest, and the swarms of angels and archangels aboveground are sustained by the world itself because of YHVH controlling the current universe.

I'm probably getting a lot wrong, but the fact the divine powers dont seem to be trying to harvest Mikados many souls after the cosmic egg forms is a frustrating thing.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 15, 2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I can't believe I beat Hard mode Matador on my second try... funny enough, that makes him, like, one of the EASIER boss fights for me so far outside of Forneus.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You asked for gender choice on protags so they made the protag gender neutral like an angel (I choose to believe this until they say this is not what's going on)

I certainly did appreciate Nanashi being kinda sorta androdgynous also I can't spell

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Golden Goat posted:

Cosmic Egg is grossss

golden goat eat the egg

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Nozomi: *Misses an attack once*
Dagda: "SEE! SEE HOW YOUR FRIENDS ARE WORTHLESS SHITES YOUR BETTER OFF WITHOUT!"

Pharohman777 posted:

I'm probably getting a lot wrong, but the fact the divine powers dont seem to be trying to harvest Mikados many souls after the cosmic egg forms is a frustrating thing.

I never actually thought about it. In my head the game centers so much around Tokyo the outside world just sorta fades away.

Bogart posted:

golden goat eat the egg

Make me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Golden Goat posted:

Nozomi: *Misses an attack once*
Dagda: "SEE! SEE HOW YOUR FRIENDS ARE WORTHLESS SHITES YOUR BETTER OFF WITHOUT!"

He's right they do kind of suck

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Asahi's been the main one I use since she's all about healing. It's actually kind of weird when in the story she's doubting herself when she's probably the best partner.

Gaston's the worst soley for taking my drat turns.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 16, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah she's the best, probably. Though that random chance that her demons don't listen to her makes it hard to rely on her

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Friend Ranking
Endgame Asahi
Early Game Navarre
Toki
Hallelujah

Never Use
Nozomi
Gaston

Although there is one fight I use Gaston for due to story reasons. Doesn't feel right using somebody else there.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

excuse me, endgame navarre is awesome :colbert:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I keep forgetting Isabeau is a partner and is even here with the rest of the crew.

I'm in the fifth area of the egg and now it's introduced invisible teleporters which are mostly annoying.

E: Okay lol

Danu: "I cant bear to kill you son... SO I MADE A BRAND NEW BETTER SON TO DO IT FOR ME!"

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 16, 2021

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Isabeau is straight up better than Asahi until Asahi gets Cheer and is pretty comparable in usefulness after. Navarre is also good but the other party members are pretty situational at best.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Isabeau is straight up better than Asahi until Asahi gets Cheer and is pretty comparable in usefulness after. Navarre is also good but the other party members are pretty situational at best.

For bosses i like asahi bc free healing good but for randos its toki all the way

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

He's right they do kind of suck
gently caress yeah! :emptyquote:
Friendship sucks!

Anarchy/Destroyer all the way! :black101:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Every time I try to go the Anarchy route I just can't do it. I was streaming the game to one of my friends and savestated at the final choice just to see what that was about. We got gut-punched pretty hard by that.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
On the other hand Dagda is a cool skeleton and most of your friends are jerks that turn on you in a second

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Imo you need more than just a semi-exposed skull to be a cool skeleton

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Neurion posted:

Every time I try to go the Anarchy route I just can't do it. I was streaming the game to one of my friends and savestated at the final choice just to see what that was about. We got gut-punched pretty hard by that.

I find it helps if you pick the less cooperative options during the main game. It is kinda hard to murder everybody if you've been playing buddy-buddy with them, but after a whole game of the other characters reacting to your every choice with "haha that's cute, we're doing the other thing", it doesn't feel all that bad any more.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, my second Apoc playthrough I generally played as a grump-rear end and it made the experience of turning on my peeps all the more palatable.

Also, it could be worse: Nothing made me feel as bad in Apocalypse as the post-White Forest Boss in SMTIV if you don't go Neutral. I'm sorry, Isabeau. :cry:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, my second Apoc playthrough I generally played as a grump-rear end and it made the experience of turning on my peeps all the more palatable.

Also, it could be worse: Nothing made me feel as bad in Apocalypse as the post-White Forest Boss in SMTIV if you don't go Neutral. I'm sorry, Isabeau. :cry:

Her scarf was foreshadowing! :)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

On the other hand Dagda is a cool skeleton and most of your friends are jerks that turn on you in a second

How dare they object to being killed?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If you can’t solemnly accept the need to destroy all of creation so that I can recreate it to be a better place you ain’t no friend of mine.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wonder if SMT will ever do a 'back to basics' SMT. 6 slots! Human party members! Magnetite! etc etc

obviously while not completely abandoning the new ideas like press turns and demons being able to level up and so forth

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah, it's called devil survivor 3. It's real and it's my friend

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I will finish whatever this new(last?) dungeon is later.

I feel like the games done at this point but it just wants to wrap up YVYH as a big bonus.

Also it's weird it's introducing flynn mechanics at this point.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Junpei posted:

I wonder if SMT will ever do a 'back to basics' SMT. 6 slots! Human party members! Magnetite! etc etc

obviously while not completely abandoning the new ideas like press turns and demons being able to level up and so forth

4 kinda felt like it was trying to go for that kinda idea?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Wark Say posted:

What sucks is how Flynn is so far gone into his chosen path that you don't even get any sympathetic dialogue choices during the fight. In fact the most optimal options that buff you are the ones that are the most needlessly cruel.

It also helps that they really twist the knife in your heart with that battle theme. Still one of my favorite tracks from that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSmi8ZOSno

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 16, 2021

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Got through Matador. Still took a multiple attempts so I could see what I needed to deal with, and a little grinding to put more meat on my team.

I think Minotaur in 4 was a larger difficulty spike, but I bet I'd be pissed if I hadn't just played that and didn't know to go look for a nearby summon bro to negate/absorb at least one of his attacks.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Regarding SMT4A's Anarchy route, I also did a second run always picking the most dickish options and was kinda disappointed this route looks like an afterthought. There are hardly any reactions to your choices, I refused to shake anyone's hand, chose to attack every time a boss took a partner hostage, called Asahi a burden and told her she was useless when she was at her lowest and everyone still keeps telling you how cool and reliable you are. I was glad when you kill Isabeau she tells you she had hated you from the moment you met if you refused to help the injured citizens, I believe it's the only time the game acknowledges you have been acting like a dick that isn't immediately after a dialogue choice.

Dagda is also probably one of the worst "route ambassadors" in the series, of all the games he chose to go with the "gently caress friendship" in the one with the absolutely best partner system that'll constantly save your bacon, specially with the full assist gauge thing that cancels the enemy's turn + uses any available support skills they have + causes lot of damage. That time the hunters want to use you as a scapegoat for freeing the Divine Powers was a good one to promote his stance but I feel they didn't make the most of it. Showing him bickering with his mom doesn't exactly help either.

Nanashi's evil-sounding "Dagda..." when you open the menu once you lock yourself into this route is hilarious, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

I wonder if SMT will ever do a 'back to basics' SMT. 6 slots! Human party members! etc etc
Ok, with you so far, I mean the older games do have so--

Junpei posted:

Magnetite!
:getout: :mad:

In all seriousness, though, Strange Journey was sorta like that and, while I don't dislike the game, I don't often get the itch to replay it as much as I do the SNES duology.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't know if this was shared earlier, but it looks like we're back to using Defense.

https://twitter.com/megaten_atlus/status/1414509841943437313

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

WrightOfWay posted:

Asahi has a niche in being the only party member who can heal herself but yeah you're mostly right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Just got to a very important part I feel in smt IV and welp the fact that I feel like I’m stuck on the law route after that freaking bombshell of red pill origins because I don’t want to act like an rear end in a top hat to people is gonna piss me off. Oh you don’t want to kill people in the tournament qualifiers, well you must obviously want to harvest them for the greater good.

If I have to go down that path when I don’t want to I’m gonna be super salty