Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They make IDE to SATA adapters for <$10USD if you really want to load up those 3.5" discs... :pcgaming:

This is a 5.25" drive though! And now that I think about it I believe I also stopped connecting it to power because it would make some kind of noise.

e: It's in a closet somewhere but I think it's this one, that light looks familiar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

VelociBacon posted:

This is a 5.25" drive though! And now that I think about it I believe I also stopped connecting it to power because it would make some kind of noise.

e: It's in a closet somewhere but I think it's this one, that light looks familiar

stop it i need to call a doctor... :ohdear:

Jokes aside, no idea if any media can survive ~40 years on an actually floppy, floppy disc, but you could find out... :sweatdrop:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

stop it i need to call a doctor... :ohdear:

Jokes aside, no idea if any media can survive ~40 years on an actually floppy, floppy disc, but you could find out... :sweatdrop:

I don't have any anymore but I did see them at my mom's place when I was visiting. They're all the games you used to get at the checkout counter of what I thought was Egghead but I'm Canadian and it doesn't look like that store came up here. Maybe I'm thinking of something else but yeah.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

One thing that's nice they make for 5.25 bays is 2.5 drive bay adapters, they have a bunch and usually they fit up to six drives. Storage has gotten cheap enough that if you wanted to make a mini-nas and happen to have a case w/ an extra bay or two, they're great for that

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How does this prebuilt look? I know it doesn’t come with an SSD, but I have an SSD already form my current desktop that I could add:

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/9pv7

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How does this prebuilt look? I know it doesn’t come with an SSD, but I have an SSD already form my current desktop that I could add:

Be aware with Dell prebuilts that they use a load of proprietary non-standard parts. So there's no guarantee that you will actually be able to put that SSD into that extremely custom case. Gamers Nexus have a review of the Aurora coming up fairly soon so if you can wait I'd wait and see what the actual inside of that thing looks like (but in their pre-review bits they've already referred to it as a hotbox so it's probably not great). The specs are alright though, even if a gaming focused prebuilt not coming with an SSD is laughable in 2021.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ideal for high framerate 1080p, yeah, assuming the cooling is adequate which with a dell is far from a lock.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It probably won't come in time to help you decide, but Gamers Nexus will be reviewing one of these Alienware R10 models soon. It sounds like it's a stinker, especially on the thermal side of things. At least the discounted price is half-decent for those parts, so maybe you can salvage it by transplanting everything into a decent enclosure that won't cook your new PC. But dell has used unique form factors before with even simpler chasis designs, so who knows what ungodly things they put into these alienware machines.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They've also reviewed Dell OEM graphics cards that are terrible (though their 3090 is apparently excellent), so it's not even a guarantee that the 3060 is going to be worth transplanting.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

To be clear though, that WOULD be a solid price for the parts. That's likely less than what you'd pay to build your own computer even assuming you could get a graphics card at MSRP (though I bet the areas where Dell cut corners will be very obvious). I just have my doubts that you'll be able to run those parts in that case at full effectiveness, and I also have my doubts that you'll be able to easily move them to a better case.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 15, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
fun video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh1vuugd9zw

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

To add to the hypothetical discussion, the parts worth taking out of that (CPU, GPU, RAM and HDD) would run you around $730 at RRP. If you bought it and found the internals are too proprietary to let you install an SSD, or the performance was lacking, it would take you buying some non-poo poo parts such as in this list I quickly put together for another ~$330 to unfuck it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I don't have any anymore but I did see them at my mom's place when I was visiting. They're all the games you used to get at the checkout counter of what I thought was Egghead but I'm Canadian and it doesn't look like that store came up here. Maybe I'm thinking of something else but yeah.

I remember at least one Egghead from the year I spent in Vancouver in the 90s, so I think you’re likely right there. It looks like someone mentioned that in the Wikipedia discussion section too!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So from the discussion, I'm not getting a nice AMD CPU And a 3070 for my 1500$ish price point and I should just pull the trigger on the gaming laptop?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Well that’s unfortunate. My current PC is pretty old, the SSD is the only thing potentially worth saving. So the idea of a cheap, pre built PC with current parts was appealing, they wouldn’t even need to be THAT good to be a massive upgrade over what I have now.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Waroduce posted:

So from the discussion, I'm not getting a nice AMD CPU And a 3070 for my 1500$ish price point and I should just pull the trigger on the gaming laptop?

I mean, you can if you can find parts.

Finding parts is really the problem.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
What's a decent bracket I can buy to support a 3080? Ordered a computer from cyberpower in April and it finally arrived, right as supply started improving, but whatever I guess. They put an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra in it, and it has the most massive cooler I've ever seen on a video card. When I took the foam out, it sagged a little, so I want to put some support under it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

sailormoon posted:

Are there any prebuilts with a top end Ryzen and NVIDIA card?

Falcon Northwest has everything, including an Nvidia founders edition 3080ti and Ryzen 9 5950X

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

RVT posted:

What's a decent bracket I can buy to support a 3080? Ordered a computer from cyberpower in April and it finally arrived, right as supply started improving, but whatever I guess. They put an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra in it, and it has the most massive cooler I've ever seen on a video card. When I took the foam out, it sagged a little, so I want to put some support under it.

i think i used a plastic bottlecap that happened to be the right size...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

RVT posted:

Isn’t that a double-slot card? Do the screws on the back panel not hold it in place?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Waroduce posted:

Not a dig at you, but this post is actually hilarious when you consider the gaming laptop thread has recently come to the opposite conclusion, that gaming laptops are overpriced right now (high demand for those too) and you should just get a desktop gaming pc if what you care about most is the price to performance ratio.

The reality is that both markets are hosed and neither a gaming laptop nor a gaming pc are good buys right now.

edit:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Falcon Northwest has everything, including an Nvidia founders edition 3080ti and Ryzen 9 5950X

I know Falcon Northwest has been a meme for decades, but jesus christ their 5800x/3070 model starts at $3721. Oh, and that's with DDR-3200.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 15, 2021

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Isn’t that a double-slot card? Do the screws on the back panel not hold it in place?

It is, but I pulled the foam out and it immediately started sagging and just looks really heavy. I guess I don't know how much sag is too much. I've never had an expensive/large video card before, I think the last two were a ATI 5770 and then my 1060, so GPU sag is a new thing for me.

CoolCab posted:

What now?

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.

RVT posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste...ps%2C175&sr=8-6
I bought this for my 3070 ti. It works well and the RGB isn't obnoxious. The mounting holes are pretty tight so it stays in place.

https://www.amazon.com/YATENG-Graph...ps%2C175&sr=8-3
I was looking at this support but it didn't work with how my cables were routed in my case.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CoolCab posted:

I had a mini-golf pencil holding mine up several years ago. It was the perfect height and the tower was put in a spot it was impossible to bump for about six years. No problems at all.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

RVT posted:

It is, but I pulled the foam out and it immediately started sagging and just looks really heavy. I guess I don't know how much sag is too much. I've never had an expensive/large video card before, I think the last two were a ATI 5770 and then my 1060, so GPU sag is a new thing for me.

What now?

You can use anything non conductive. Anything plastic is good for the most part.

I’ve seen plenty of little lego men be used. If you don’t care about looks you could even get a wooden dowel and cut to size.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Do I still need to flash a new B550 board before it'll work with the newest CPU gen or do they ship them with updated BIOSs these days? Specifically, the board is a Gigabyte Aorus Elite V2.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

At this point it should have an up to date bios, if not you at least know what to do if it doesn't work.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
:norway: Just a note for any Scandigoons shopping for computer parts on CDON: The site is a marketplace (like Amazon or Newegg unless fulfilled by the actual site), and shipping is a bit of a bingo depending on who the actual seller is. I just got a notification that my order arrived somewhere, but who knows where, and whether PostNord or Bring delievered it? :iiam:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Not a dig at you, but this post is actually hilarious when you consider the gaming laptop thread has recently come to the opposite conclusion, that gaming laptops are overpriced right now (high demand for those too) and you should just get a desktop gaming pc if what you care about most is the price to performance ratio.

The reality is that both markets are hosed and neither a gaming laptop nor a gaming pc are good buys right now.

Yeah, the laptop thread discussion sent me here. I need a device now unfortunately since my personal is on its last legs. The laptop I was eyeballinng has a Ryzen 9 which is pretty sexy and a 3070 at right around 1800$ but just tracking this conversation I guess the PC pre-built would be nice to get in on and than part upgrade in the future.

Are there any major concerns with this pre-built? The only thing I hit on was the processor being a bit older

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...p?skuId=6452133

Also this probably a stupid question but i was expecting an ethernet port to be explicitly listed but is that just assumed now

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Waroduce posted:

Are there any major concerns with this pre-built? The only thing I hit on was the processor being a bit older

buh? that processor is extremely new, it's comparable to the GPU actually

e: and yeah it will have ethernet for sure via the network card

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Waroduce posted:

Yeah, the laptop thread discussion sent me here. I need a device now unfortunately since my personal is on its last legs. The laptop I was eyeballinng has a Ryzen 9 which is pretty sexy and a 3070 at right around 1800$ but just tracking this conversation I guess the PC pre-built would be nice to get in on and than part upgrade in the future.

Also this probably a stupid question but i was expecting an ethernet port to be explicitly listed but is that just assumed now

That CPU is pretty much top-of-the-line new new, don't worry about it. The front fans that suck air in from a solid pane of glass (there are no vents on either side either??) are hilarious, though

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Waroduce posted:

[/quote]

I don’t know what a Ryzen 9 is.

But I do know that CPU is the newest available and very good in that prebuilt.

I also bet that prebuilt is going to loving cook itself.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CoolCab posted:

e: and yeah it will have ethernet for sure via the network card

I spent like :10bux: to upgrade my mobo to the version with Ethernet, wireless, and Bluetooth all built in. It was worth way more than that to both save USB 3 ports and cable management/power with the external cables of all kinds.

Fake edit: can’t remember what model on desktop but I know it’s for Intel based chips and upgradable in the future.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Waroduce posted:

Just for clarification, laptop parts and PC parts are not equivalent so a laptop 3070 will perform nowhere near as well as a fullsize 3070 in a PC, ditto the CPU, because if you had the same TDP parts in that small of a frame it would likely set on fire. So the 'Ryzen 9' in whatever laptop you're looking at will absolutely perform worse than the 5800x in a full size PC.

Also it's better to step away from 'Ryzen or Intel 5/7/9' terminology as that tells you basically gently caress all about the component. For Ryzens at least, Ryzen 9 could mean a Ryzen 3900, a 3950, a 4900H, a 5900, a 5900X, a 5950X, it's a clusterfuck. Generally the number denotes the number of cores but that's not always consistent either. 'Ryzen 5' usally means 6 cores but has meant 4 cores in mobile versions, 'Ryzen 7' usually means 8 but has meant 4 cores in mobile CPUs, and 'Ryzen 9' can mean 8, 12, or 16.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 16, 2021

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

Just for clarification, laptop parts and PC parts are not equivalent so a laptop 3070 will perform nowhere near as well as a fullsize 3070 in a PC, ditto the CPU, because if you had the same TDP parts in that small of a frame it would likely set on fire. So the 'Ryzen 9' in whatever laptop you're looking at will absolutely perform worse than the 5800x in a full size PC.

Also it's better to step away from 'Ryzen or Intel 5/7/9' terminology as that tells you basically gently caress all about the component. For Ryzens at least, Ryzen 9 could mean a Ryzen 3900, a 3950, a 4900H, a 5900, a 5900X, a 5950X, it's a clusterfuck. Generally the number denotes the number of cores but that's not always consistent either. 'Ryzen 5' usally means 6 cores but has meant 4 cores in mobile versions, 'Ryzen 7' usually means 8 but has meant 4 cores in mobile CPUs, and 'Ryzen 9' can mean 8, 12, or 16.

Lmao thank you for this.

If I was going to buy that and wanted to fix the fan/cooling issue how would I go about doing that? Would one need to change the whole case out or can I like....idk remove the glass part or just stick an office fan infront of it?

I appreciate the guidance guys sorry for the simple questions.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Lmao thank you for this.

If I was going to buy that and wanted to fix the fan/cooling issue how would I go about doing that? Would one need to change the whole case out or can I like....idk remove the glass part or just stick an office fan infront of it?

I appreciate the guidance guys sorry for the simple questions.

questions are good.

You’d need to basically replace the whole case. I don’t know that it’s worth it.

I can’t speak to this unit and don’t have the time to vet it properly, but this seems fairly reasonable with decent cooling. 3000mhz ram isnt ideal, but totally workable and easily upgradable later.

Check this out on @Newegg: Skytech Chronos Gaming PC Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.60GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB, 16GB DDR4 3000, 1TB NVMe Gen 4, 750W Gold PSU, 240MM AIO, 11AC WiFi, Windows 10 Home 64-bit https://www.newegg.com/skytech-st-c...-149-_-07162021

I’d prefer someone else vet it before you buy it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

questions are good.

You’d need to basically replace the whole case. I don’t know that it’s worth it.

I can’t speak to this unit and don’t have the time to vet it properly, but this seems fairly reasonable with decent cooling. 3000mhz ram isnt ideal, but totally workable and easily upgradable later.

Check this out on @Newegg: Skytech Chronos Gaming PC Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.60GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB, 16GB DDR4 3000, 1TB NVMe Gen 4, 750W Gold PSU, 240MM AIO, 11AC WiFi, Windows 10 Home 64-bit https://www.newegg.com/skytech-st-c...-149-_-07162021

I’d prefer someone else vet it before you buy it.

oooo thats nice! ill uy this late est or tomorrow if no one cautions me in the interim

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Waroduce posted:

oooo thats nice! ill uy this late est or tomorrow if no one cautions me in the interim

While the case has more airflow and the parts are all decent, the 3700X is strictly worse than the 5800X. It won't make much of a difference for purely gaming at higher resolutions, mind.

If you wanted the project, you could transplant all the parts from the cyberpower pc into a better airflow case, but it would require a decent amount of work and research if you don't know what you're doing already.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The build above is good.

My suggestion is to play the game trying to get a GPU, then only buy the additional parts once you get the GPU, since you already have a working machine.

Getting a good GPU right now can easily be a multi-month endeavor. Other parts are stable, and depending on how long it takes new stuff may come out that’s better or cheaper.

Or we all might die. :shrug:

Looking at suggestions and also seeing how loving hard and depressing it is to find anything Geforce 30XX right now, I found the following pre-built on special for 2200$ CAD instead of 2600$ with a 3070 but it's an ABS

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ali454/p/N82E16883360038

Is this thing going to catch on fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cyberdud posted:

Looking at suggestions and also seeing how loving hard and depressing it is to find anything Geforce 30XX right now, I found the following pre-built on special for 2200$ CAD instead of 2600$ with a 3070 but it's an ABS

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ali454/p/N82E16883360038

Is this thing going to catch on fire?

No, that looks rather well ventilated, assuming it ships in that fan/cooler config. Top-mounted AIO, three front intake fans with a mesh front panel, and a rear exhaust. The CPU's gonna run cool, that's for sure.

Reviews say it doesn't come with XMP enabled in the bios (you really should do this), the pre-installed apps use a lot of CPU, and it looks like you're going to want to give the machine a thorough inspection to make sure everything inside is plugged in correctly before turning it on, but otherwise I don't see any glaring red flags.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 16, 2021