Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Kin posted:

What's the best approach to finding the perfect mix each day? I seem to get stuck at about 80/90%.

I basically start with the first ingredient, get the highest % from that and then repeat per item.

Going back to previous ingredients abs repeating doesn't seem to have much impact.

Thats what i was doing.

Now i just leave it at whatever it is and click it when it goes red :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, this is what I do and it did not help at all.

Chrome implemented a 'check if the browser window is visible on the desktop' thing somewhat recently, so now if at least some corner of your separate window isn't actually visible on your monitor it will be treated like a background tab. My guess is this got you.

You can copy chrome://flags/#calculate-native-win-occlusion into the address bar and set it to disabled to turn off this check.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Trimps:

For some reason i decided to play this game again. My save is long gone as it has been like 3 years since i played it previously so i started a new save.
I am doing entirely AutoTrimps and no manual input.
I have done 2 helium resets so i have ~300ish total helium, which AT is autoallocating. (mostly into Looting, some in combat stats)

I notice that it takes FOREVER to get past Zone2. I assume something with the threshold/cutoff settings on when to buy stuff conflicting with how low the numbers for things are in Zone 2 so it ends up not buying anything. It has been an hour now and i am not even halfway through Zone 2. Are there any settings i can tweak to get past Zone 2 faster?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i never touched autotrimps and also it's been like 5 years since i would have been at that level

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

cyrn posted:

Chrome implemented a 'check if the browser window is visible on the desktop' thing somewhat recently, so now if at least some corner of your separate window isn't actually visible on your monitor it will be treated like a background tab. My guess is this got you.

You can copy chrome://flags/#calculate-native-win-occlusion into the address bar and set it to disabled to turn off this check.

This doesn't always work well. I just switched to Firefox for all idle games. Google clearly does not give one poo poo about users and only cares about their real customers the advertisers

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

pixaal posted:

This doesn't always work well. I just switched to Firefox for all idle games. Google clearly does not give one poo poo about users and only cares about their real customers the advertisers

I've had it set for ages and never noticed any problems as long as the tab isn't minimized :shrug: Just stuffed in a corner in the background.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Ineptitude posted:

Trimps:

For some reason i decided to play this game again. My save is long gone as it has been like 3 years since i played it previously so i started a new save.
I am doing entirely AutoTrimps and no manual input.
I have done 2 helium resets so i have ~300ish total helium, which AT is autoallocating. (mostly into Looting, some in combat stats)

I notice that it takes FOREVER to get past Zone2. I assume something with the threshold/cutoff settings on when to buy stuff conflicting with how low the numbers for things are in Zone 2 so it ends up not buying anything. It has been an hour now and i am not even halfway through Zone 2. Are there any settings i can tweak to get past Zone 2 faster?

Unfortunately I have no advice on AT as I havent ever used it, but if you dont want to have to restart from nothing, easily available save editors exist so you can just give yourself a bunch of helium to roughly simulate how far you were before if that is something you'd like.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Some of the rules that AT has makes it really unreliable before you're hitting Zone 60 regularly. It can be an initial hurdle but last time I played it I enjoyed it in spite of the slow start even with AT.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Kin posted:

What's the best approach to finding the perfect mix each day? I seem to get stuck at about 80/90%.

I basically start with the first ingredient, get the highest % from that and then repeat per item.

Going back to previous ingredients abs repeating doesn't seem to have much impact.

Find how many peaks of efficiency each of the ingredients has. Stop at the first peak you see when adding ingredients, because the ingredients come in pairs and sometimes adding too much of one reduces the effect of the other. If you aren't at 100% after getting everything to its first peak, increase one until it hits the second (or third) peak and see if it improves your efficiency (if not, bring it back down to the first peak and pick another ingredient). If you have a couple ingredients in of everything and one (or more) of the ingredients always subtracts efficiency, it might be a 'zero' ingredient so try zeroing it out and seeing if your efficiency improves.

If none of that works, just cash in between 85-90% efficiency and don't put that much more effort into it.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 13, 2021

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Decided to saveedit my Trimps save a bit to add some Helium as per the suggestion above.

Added 200m Helium as i think thats roughly what i had last time. Honestly i have no idea though. I was somewhere north of z170. I definitely had unlocked the overkill perk, as i found it weird in my current playthrough that i didn't have it yet and maybe thought i had imagined it but when googling and seeing the screenshot of every other cell being dark green or light green i remember that, so i definitely had overkill, and that requires z170 to unlock.

Game is real slow though, fights really taper off after z80ish, despite having 200m Helium and z80 rewarding like 15k. Feels like i should be easily able to get further with 200m Helium.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 14, 2021

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Before a certain update (which was already years ago) ~300m He was recommended for tackling spire clears, and with current features you need quite a bit less, so 200m should be enough to get past z200 and/or clear the spire. Some features don't unlock until you pass a certain zone or clear a void map above a certain zone, so you might be missing some of those even with enough helium on paper. You're probably also missing challenge rewards and challenge perks, so make sure you clear every challenge at least once (overkill being I think the last one that unlocks via a challenge). Quite a few of these are prior to z60 so if you're missing those you might not have everything you need to keep pushing forward at this point. The exponential costs on the perks you do have means you don't get very much farther even if you add a shitload of helium if you're missing things like the coordinated perk.

e: List here.

e2: Also the scientist challenges. Those are huge.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Regarding NGU Industries: does paying off your fine with the million BDSM do anything?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Roflex posted:

challenge rewards and challenge perks,

Aye ive unlocked all perks requiring up to zone80 and done scientist challenge once. Didnt do the other challenges yet

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Regarding NGU Industries: does paying off your fine with the million BDSM do anything?

Nothing implemented yet, maybe something in the future. I'm up to 6M bdsm just from idling the pod for the last 6 weeks.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Nothing implemented yet, maybe something in the future. I'm up to 6M bdsm just from idling the pod for the last 6 weeks.

At this point I’m kinda assuming 4G is pretty done with the game and if he feels like doing anything when he comes back it’ll be on a new thing. Might just be me, but that’s the vibe I got over the short period since NGUI’s launch.

I’ve been leaving the game open and am at like 30k of every research, but am at the point now where I think I’ll just close it and see what happens. It was fun for a bit.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I just started NGU a couple weeks ago. I was hoping 4G could hook me with a goon role (Eat The Rich#2053)

quote:

If you bug him he'll also give you a special goon prize in game because he has a big ol Canadian heart.

are you bugged yet

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is the "Sadistic Boss Multiplier" referenced in NGU the amount that Number goes up for each boss you clear, i.e. for purposes of calculating Number after your next rebirth?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Yep, that's the one. "Small change makes a huge difference" is a lie though. It'll help a few bosses when you're up into the 200s but it probably belongs with the "A/D boost for rich perks" on the priority list.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just found Melvor Idle today. Anyone have any experience with this, got an opinion on it? https://melvoridle.com/

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DaveKap posted:

Just found Melvor Idle today. Anyone have any experience with this, got an opinion on it? https://melvoridle.com/

ArchWizard posted:

Melvor Idle looks nice for an idle game, but I feel like there's so little to it. The mechanics aren't challenging or otherwise engaging. And as far as I know, there isn't even a multiplayer aspect so you can work with your friends like you would in a game like Amaranthine.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Disco Elysium is incredible.

Melvor Idle less so. It's servicable but very, very bland. Not a whole lot of reason to play it, honestly.

Broken Cog posted:

Melvor Idle is the Runescape skill system without the gameplay.

Like, literally, that is what the dev went for. I found it pretty boring myself, but there's apparently a lot of people that love it.

Lotus Aura posted:

It's really weird to me that there's more than one idle game that is, by design, just "Runescape with even less gameplay". Like some people like it and that's great, but I tried Melvor and it's just so boring to me.

Ghostlight posted:

I've been playing Melvor Idle for quite a while now and I don't mind it as something I keep up in the background at work, drop into to rearrange things and then ignore for half an hour or so. It's not going to hold your attention with plate spinning, but there's a lot of numbers to make go up and I like the balance between online combat then making sure I'm set to farm some skill while I'm offline. At the moment I'm progressing through the end-game dungeons so I'll see how it holds me after I've done all the content.

Cobalt60 posted:

Thanks all, I'll skip Melvor based on those notes. I'm open to any other games that dropped in the last 3 years, particularly if they're MacOS or iOS friendly ;/

Jhet posted:

Wikis are great, and if someone stops playing the game, other people can still maintain them. Melvor idle is boring in a lot of ways, but they have a kick rear end wiki. The ad farm wikis are just terrible and no one can maintain them or spend more than 12 seconds on them because you wouldn't be able to see the content if there was any. They're also terribly easy to create pages and edit pages too. Minimal formatting, and just type.

poo poo'S BORING, YO!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I personally don't like Melvor Idle (or Idlescape really) because it's largely just lovely Runescape to me. If I wanna play Runescape I'd much rather just pay the subscription and play a way better game.

^That, basically, yeah.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, if you want to play Runescape, just come play actual Runescape for free with Goons! On your Phone!

The MMO HMO › Runescape: Now on Steam, iOS, and Android! - No, Seriously.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Thanks! Will abandon then.

Edit: I looked into Runescape.

... Gonna be honest, I'd rather play an idle game version of that! LOL. I'll give Melvor a couple days and see how I feel. My only misgiving with it is that I can't have multiple bars going at once.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 16, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm still enjoying Melvor Idle.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Which number notation is objectively the best?
Standard (10Qt)
Scientific (1e19)
Engineering (10e18)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I like standard because the names of the numbers change more significantly

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Sci or eng, makes no real difference. Just dont do it on low numbers, thats missing the point of doing it entirely. 1000 is easier to read than 1e3 imo

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I like log notation because it puts the actually significant number up front, but it’s a pain in the rear end to do actual math with.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

please knock Mom! posted:

I like standard because the names of the numbers change more significantly

Depends on how high the numbers go IMO. I remember switching Antimatter Dimensions to scientific from standard when the requirements started looking like "3 SxVgQtQuVa"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I like the actual words like "Quadrillion" but if we simply must use scientific notation, I think it's engineering notation that keeps significant digits to the nearest grouping of 3 powers? 999e15 rolling over to 1e18, you get it. Straight scientific notation for such purposes gives me trouble.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Pope Guilty posted:

I like the actual words like "Quadrillion" but if we simply must use scientific notation, I think it's engineering notation that keeps significant digits to the nearest grouping of 3 powers? 999e15 rolling over to 1e18, you get it. Straight scientific notation for such purposes gives me trouble.

It's much easier to tell at a glance with Engineering notation if you've gone up a digit - you can just see that the number of written digits have increased or decreased without actually reading the numbers too closely. It definitely helped in NGU a lot.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

i don't understand either of them and just have faith that number go up when i do the right things

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lib and let die posted:

i don't understand either of them and just have faith that number go up when i do the right things

No, you can't just press any active button and progress in idle games!

Haha, blue button make number go brrrrrr

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
No words.
Scientific only.
Final destination.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, I'm good with Scientific or Engineering, either works. Usually scientific because I feel like it's more popular so it's easier to talk to other people about numbers.

No thanks for standard, it starts getting pretty ridiculous once you get above like...1e20, you know?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

For most games it's fine, but once your Adventure Capitalist save hits a certain age...

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Arzaac posted:

Yeah, I'm good with Scientific or Engineering, either works. Usually scientific because I feel like it's more popular so it's easier to talk to other people about numbers.

No thanks for standard, it starts getting pretty ridiculous once you get above like...1e20, you know?

Buy then you don't get the sex numbers.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I had people request my game have Standard notation so I added it for like... the first 3 (M, B, T) but after a few bumps in notation, there's actually no internationally recognized standard for what letters represent what notations, which is why I try to avoid them at all costs.

I like Engineering, though, because getting from a triple digit to a single digit and bumping the notation always feels like a more satisfying hurdle than just bumping the notation by 1 at a time.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah engineering crew for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008
Honestly for me it depends on the game. If it's a game that goes to insane numbers, then I want the engineering or scientific so I can actually know what the hell is going on, but if it's a game that doesn't go TOO crazy, then I much prefer standard notation.

But even more than that, I enjoy much smaller numbers that require very little notation if any. Of course very few idle games stay in the small number range for very long if at all, so bugger it all. I want a Paper Mario style idle game where doing 7 damage is considered awesome!