Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

"Out here in the perimeter there are no stars. Out here we IS stoned. Immaculate."

"Shut UP, Cult of Ecstasy Jim Morrison!"

Hell no man, let him keep talking. :2bong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Dawgstar posted:

"Out here in the perimeter there are no stars. Out here we IS stoned. Immaculate."

"Shut UP, Cult of Ecstasy Jim Morrison!"

"Jim was somewhere in his second drink when the drugs began to take hold - "

"This is a real people only lounge!"

"I'm an incredibly poorly disguised parody! I count!"

And that's how Raoul King got into a fistfight with Louis Pasteur.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

"Jim was somewhere in his second drink when the drugs began to take hold - "

"This is a real people only lounge!"

"I'm an incredibly poorly disguised parody! I count!"

And that's how Raoul King got into a fistfight with Louis Pasteur.

Raoul Duke.
:goonsay:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

He got promoted.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That's what happens when you get to the other side of the chessboard, right?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dawgstar posted:

Let's see, vampire, werewolf, mage AND wraith, right? (The werewolf one died but is not the wraith one, but that's because Garou can't be wraiths.)

Garou can become Wraiths actually, they just usually reincarnate instead.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Is this thread also for talking about onyx path and white wolf works in general or is it just their world of darkness/chronicles of darkness stuff? Asking because there's a kickstarter up for a new pugmire/monarchies thing about rats and mice.

I'd never heard of Pugmire before this post and it sounds really interesting. And I'm hoo-hah crazy for anything involving rats. Anything done well, that is, and Squeaks in the Deep looks like it could be good. Is Monarchies of Mau like Pugmire but cat-oriented?

I would follow a Pugmire thread.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Yeah, Mau is cats. They were established in Pugmire but not given player stats till their own book

Edit: Slightly more effort posty here.

Pugmire is the capital city of the largest Dog civilization.

The Monarchies of Mau are equal in size to the Dogs, but made up of smaller city states that squabble with each other when they are not allied against a current threat. That used to be Pugmire but recently that war ended so there is a tense peace going on.

Mice and Rats live in and between both cultures not really having a country of their own. They were mostly glossed over in the Pugmire book and I don't have Mau which expands upon them.

Except one group. The Rats/Mice of Labra-Tor. They are essentially a cult that believes them (Like cats and dogs do) to be the true heirs to Man. The difference is that they believe it because they practice the art of Science which for them is torturing other people and then writing about it.

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 15, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As long as they also try to take over the world.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

Garou can become Wraiths actually, they just usually reincarnate instead.

Garou go to their respective Tribal Homelands in the Umbra when they die. Different neighborhood than the Shadowlands and lower. The only one who became a wraith was Wepauwet of the Striders and that was a very weird situation.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

:eyepop:

Remind me never to correct Loomer :3:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dawgstar posted:

Garou go to their respective Tribal Homelands in the Umbra when they die. Different neighborhood than the Shadowlands and lower. The only one who became a wraith was Wepauwet of the Striders and that was a very weird situation.

In one of the books there's rules for Supes to become Wraiths and Werewolves are there, they're just rare.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dawgstar posted:

*cough*Sam Haight*cough*

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ulmont posted:

*cough*Sam Haight*cough*

He got soul forged.

Then blown into Oblivion because lol.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ulmont posted:

*cough*Sam Haight*cough*

Oh, Kinfolk can become Wraith because they don't have the connection to the... man, I just feel weirder and weirder saying 'Tribal Homelands' because a lot of Werewolf just does not hold up but those. Some of them even became ghosts because they have unfinished business due to their relation suddenly having an extremely lethal tantrum.

Once again I reflect I do not envy the W5 team because should strip out so much of the game.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, Kinfolk can become Wraith because they don't have the connection to the... man, I just feel weirder and weirder saying 'Tribal Homelands' because a lot of Werewolf just does not hold up but those. Some of them even became ghosts because they have unfinished business due to their relation suddenly having an extremely lethal tantrum.

Once again I reflect I do not envy the W5 team because should strip out so much of the game.

Oh yeah. Back when I was working on my little owod text adventure I just refused to go with some of the language, because I'm not using Metis like that, goddamn.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

oWolf is up there as maybe the worst one for just casual language use.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

Oh yeah. Back when I was working on my little owod text adventure I just refused to go with some of the language, because I'm not using Metis like that, goddamn.

'Wendigo' as a stand-in for northern Native American tribes is also... yeah, don't do that. 'Uktena' is honestly not much better. Ice Claws and Secret Keepers or something, anything, just come on.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

This is why, despite my complaints, WtF2 is just manifestly superior. Even if some of the old woof art is pretty great splatter punk fun.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

"Hey! We're making a making an RPG where you play as werewolves!"

"Oh man, that sounds cool!"

"Yeah! It's also about eugenics!"

"Uh"

"And the werewolves have magical rape powers!"

"Um"

"Also i hope you like American Indian stereotypes, because boy howdy we got 'em!"

"Please stop"

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

'Wendigo' as a stand-in for northern Native American tribes is also... yeah, don't do that. 'Uktena' is honestly not much better. Ice Claws and Secret Keepers or something, anything, just come on.

I for one cannot wait until I get around to reading and reviewing the 1e Apocalypse core so I can spend most of my time screaming every couple paragraphs because of something either horribly racist or gross.

I think my Ascension 1e core is supposed to arrive today and that mess might be the first corebook I review for the project.

Blood Dimmed Tides is currently slotted for episode 2 because magic dolphins sound hilarious and exactly the kind of dumb poo poo I'm reading these books for.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Blood Dimmed Tides is a treat from top to bottom.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

joylessdivision posted:

Blood Dimmed Tides is currently slotted for episode 2 because magic dolphins sound hilarious and exactly the kind of dumb poo poo I'm reading these books for.

Hope you like unexpected lactation fetish!

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Blood Dimmed Tides is a treat from top to bottom.
Goofy as hell and full of splats that won’t even interact with others of their own splat, let alone their broader gameline, and have zero reason to be on land

I say this out of love, that dumb book is one of my favorites

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I have fond memories of Blood Dimmed Tides.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Hope you like unexpected lactation fetish!

:allears: I mean I've specifically organized my notes for reviews on the books I'm reading as "Good, Bad and WTF", because there is a loooooot of WTF to be found.

Hell I think I'd rather be grossed out by weird fetish poo poo at this point than the racist stuff I've encountered so far*

*That is until the inevitable fetish poo poo goes too far and I start clawing my eyes out and or questioning my life choices.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

I for one cannot wait until I get around to reading and reviewing the 1e Apocalypse core so I can spend most of my time screaming every couple paragraphs because of something either horribly racist or gross.

I'm reminded of my favorite bit from Rage Across New York, which was a very early 1e title and when it got to the Native American tribes went on about how while of course the European tribes were awful and terrible and etc the Pure Tribes were, well, pure and when they fought they only did so for just and honorable reasons. There was something almost... noble about the savagery.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I'm reminded of my favorite bit from Rage Across New York, which was a very early 1e title and when it got to the Native American tribes went on about how while of course the European tribes were awful and terrible and etc the Pure Tribes were, well, pure and when they fought they only did so for just and honorable reasons. There was something almost... noble about the savagery.

I mean....
that's basically Rage Across Australia as well. 1e Werewolf was real loving bad about the Magical Native trope because it was still a Bridges joint at that point.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've been reading through Mage the Ascension stuff, trying to think of how to make a better game and give it a reboot in line with V5, which I know is a mixed bag, and there's a lot of that weird racist grouping of things together. They even openly address it in in character in the Guide to the Traditions because it's that bad. MtAs also had one of the most insane fiction series, the Ascension Warrior trilogy, which they retconned because went on in it was probably on par with Secrets of the Black Hand. M20 didn't help things much, even walking back some changes like the tradition names by saying they changed them to be more sensitive or whatever and then having the headings for those traditions being the old name.

In conclusion, Mage the Ascension was a game of contrasts, most of them bad. Sadly, I still feel a great deal of nostalgia for Mage the Ascension.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kurieg posted:

I mean....
that's basically Rage Across Australia as well. 1e Werewolf was real loving bad about the Magical Native trope because it was still a Bridges joint at that point.

Hooboy like I said, I can not wait to dive into more 1e stuff. Mostly because I know it's going to be the source of the most weird/bad/hilarious poo poo I'm going to find.

Also the racism, Jesus tap dancing Christ, the racism.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It’s a frequent claim that Weinberg’s work was retconned or decanoned but I have never seen anything to actually back it up. TAW even got direct references later on in the line.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Loomer posted:

It’s a frequent claim that Weinberg’s work was retconned or decanoned but I have never seen anything to actually back it up. TAW even got direct references later on in the line.

There's a disclaimer at the end of Horizon War 3: War in Heaven stating everything after the destruction of Doisstep isn't canon but a lot stuff went down in a less extreme way due to the events between second edition and revised. So it's very vague but then again a lot of OWoD books are vague due to being unreliable narrators.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

There's a disclaimer at the end of Horizon War 3: War in Heaven stating everything after the destruction of Doisstep isn't canon but a lot stuff went down in a less extreme way due to the events between second edition and revised. So it's very vague but then again a lot of OWoD books are vague due to being unreliable narrators.

Yep - and then a bunch of books directly reference the fall of Horizon as it was depicted anyway. The closest thing I’ve seen is that disclaimer, and it’s for a chunk of a book and contradicted by later publications.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

Hooboy like I said, I can not wait to dive into more 1e stuff. Mostly because I know it's going to be the source of the most weird/bad/hilarious poo poo I'm going to find.

Also the racism, Jesus tap dancing Christ, the racism.
This art and this paragraph appear on the same page in RAA

quote:

Staunch defenders of marsupials, however, claim the qualities of marsupials have been given too little consideration, simply because they apparently lost the evolutionary race with placentals. Some of these biologists say this defamation stems from "pouch envy" and the fact that marsupial males' genitalia are much bigger in comparison to those of placental males. The Bunyip, by the way, bred with marsupials...

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kurieg posted:

:aaaaa:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I've been reading through Mage the Ascension stuff, trying to think of how to make a better game and give it a reboot in line with V5, which I know is a mixed bag, and there's a lot of that weird racist grouping of things together. They even openly address it in in character in the Guide to the Traditions because it's that bad. MtAs also had one of the most insane fiction series, the Ascension Warrior trilogy, which they retconned because went on in it was probably on par with Secrets of the Black Hand. M20 didn't help things much, even walking back some changes like the tradition names by saying they changed them to be more sensitive or whatever and then having the headings for those traditions being the old name.

In conclusion, Mage the Ascension was a game of contrasts, most of them bad. Sadly, I still feel a great deal of nostalgia for Mage the Ascension.

This is very much why I'm excited to dig into the 1e corebook. I know basically nothing about Ascension other than everyone here has pointed out it's a mess for various reasons and the storyteller screen is :krad: and the best $10 I've spent on a used WW product. So it's got that going for it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Weren't the werewolves in the Howling series actually marsupials?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Soonmot posted:

Weren't the werewolves in the Howling series actually marsupials?

Only in Howling 4, which is about kangaroos.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Why, yes, the War of Tears was fought over penis envy some writer thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Also, Howling 4 had the best movie death scene(s) ever.

"Don't worry, mystical old man. You're going to become the grass and the wind and the rainbow!"

"Nah mate. I'm just gonna be dead." *dies*

*comes back later as an angry skeleton werewolf*

Plus just the whole plot in general. Those movies got loving wild.